Arrrhg! Hit an animal. Maybe I should get a Jeep.

Started by veeman, September 21, 2016, 10:57:07 AM

giant_mtb

If you thought a Wrangler was AWD and have little familiarity with part-time/selectable 4WD.......maybe you aren't really the target audience for it.....

veeman

Quote from: Rupert on September 28, 2016, 09:36:38 PM
Four wheel drive means there is a transfer case, AWD means there is a center differential. In general, 4WD is part time (though there are a number of "automatic" 4WD systems) and AWD is full time. A transfer case (so any 4WD system) turns the front and rear axles at the same speed at all times. Since the front and rear axles want to turn at slightly different speeds in turns (the tighter the turn, the greater the speed difference), and 4WD means they are locked together at the same speed, the wheels have to slip on the ground. You won't likely notice it on regular surface streets (though the stress on the axles is still increased), but you will certainly notice it if you go to turn around. Since the amount of stress on the axles depends on the ability of the wheels to slip, a slipperier surface means less stress before slippage. The system is designed to operate on unpaved surfaces or in snow or ice, so using 4WD on a dry paved surface means extra stress, which over time can cause problems.

Low range 4WD is needed to provide extra torque at low speeds, to slow the vehicle on a steep down grade, and to provide speed control in general, especially in a manual transmission vehicle (no torque converter, so the slowest speed is controlled by the gears + RPMs or by slipping the clutch, which is bad for the clutch). You almost never need 4 low, even in moderately complex off road situations.

The number of driven wheels in a 4WD system is always all four wheels, but with open differentials on a surface that is differently slippery for each wheel, only the wheels with the least amount of traction front and back may be turning/spinning. A limited slip differential will help with that, but may be detrimental for snow or ice driving, as if you slip one wheel you might slip both, so you have less traction and probably spin the car a bit (which is fun when it's intentional). A selectable locking differential allows you to make it so both wheels on an axle always turn at the same speed (as opposed to an open diff, where the same torque is always applied to both wheels) when you select the locked position, and operate as an open diff when you select the unlocked position. A locked differential, unlike a limited slip, means that when you turn (and the outside wheel wants to turn faster than the inside wheel), the wheels need to turn at the same speed, so they slip. Fortunately, like low range, you don't need to lock your differentials very often.

IMO, you should check to make sure you aren't wearing rose-colored glasses before you make a final decision, and also note that it's a bit of a poser move to buy a Wrangler for street use (more than most SUVs), though that hasn't stopped most folks around here. ;)

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 28, 2016, 11:33:15 PM
If you thought a Wrangler was AWD and have little familiarity with part-time/selectable 4WD.......maybe you aren't really the target audience for it.....

Thanks Rupert for that most excellent in depth explanation of the detailed differences between AWD and 4WD.  Poseur move!?  Not a bit of a poseur move.  Very much a poseur move.  I am acknowledging this. 

Yes, unlike a middle aged man who buys an M BMW, RS Audi, or AMG Merc to drive 80 mph on a flat interstate highway back and forth to work and drop off his kids to soccer practice, unlike the middle aged man who buys a Range Rover to traverse 4 inch high speed bumps on residential roads, unlike the middle aged man who buys a 1/2 ton pickup to go once a year to Home Depot to get that barbecue grill which they would have delivered for $50, unlike the middle aged male who buys a Tesla because he cares about the environment so he can drive back and forth to work and his 10,000 square foot home which has an annual energy expenditure 10 times that of an average home... Yes unlike all of these guys who like to keep it real... I am full of poseur.

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 28, 2016, 11:33:15 PM

Yes you are right.  The Wrangler is targeted towards people who understand the differences between AWD,4WD, transfer case, center differential, etc.  Just like the Covette's intended target are people who understand the difference between a pushrod engine, SOHC, and DOHC.  I must have missed that pop quiz the dealership was supposed to give me prior to letting me test drive it.

Soup DeVille

Just don't ask about Range Rovers (4wd without a transfer case) or things like the Element (4 wheel drive without either a transfer case or a center diff) and you're good to go.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on September 29, 2016, 06:15:42 AM
Yes you are right.  The Wrangler is targeted towards people who understand the differences between AWD,4WD, transfer case, center differential, etc.  Just like the Covette's intended target are people who understand the difference between a pushrod engine, SOHC, and DOHC.  I must have missed that pop up quiz the dealership was supposed to give me prior to letting me test drive it.

Don't let the haters grind you down.

Almost everybody buys their vehicle based on something other than practical concerns.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 29, 2016, 06:17:58 AM

Almost everybody buys their vehicle based on something other than practical concerns.

Yeah, I mean, ya gotta start somewhere.

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 29, 2016, 06:17:58 AM

Ha. :ohyeah:

I know it's a dumb purchase if I make it.  But I like it.

Honestly, how many non Jeep Wrangler owners knew that every Jeep Wrangler you see being driven on the road has only its rear wheels turning?  Whatever.  It's cool. 

Soup DeVille

Well, I do think that if not all the wheels are at least turning, there may be a bit of a problem...

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 29, 2016, 06:49:19 AM
Well, I do think that if not all the wheels are at least turning, there may be a bit of a problem...

The spare on the back shouldn't be turning. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 29, 2016, 06:53:09 AM

Except in the likely event of a rollover, when it provides brake assist.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 29, 2016, 06:53:09 AM

Well, I'm sure some jackwagon has a kit for spinning spare tires...

MrH

Quote from: veeman on September 29, 2016, 06:02:26 AM

Thanks Rupert for that most excellent in depth explanation of the detailed differences between AWD and 4WD.  Poseur move!?  Not a bit of a poseur move.  Very much a poseur move.  I am acknowledging this. 

Yes, unlike a middle aged man who buys an M BMW, RS Audi, or AMG Merc to drive 80 mph on a flat interstate highway back and forth to work and drop off his kids to soccer practice, unlike the middle aged man who buys a Range Rover to traverse 4 inch high speed bumps on residential roads, unlike the middle aged man who buys a 1/2 ton pickup to go once a year to Home Depot to get that barbecue grill which they would have delivered for $50, unlike the middle aged male who buys a Tesla because he cares about the environment so he can drive back and forth to work and his 10,000 square foot home which has an annual energy expenditure 10 times that of an average home... Yes unlike all of these guys who like to keep it real... I am full of poseur.

:lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 29, 2016, 06:57:07 AM
Well, I'm sure some jackwagon has a kit for spinning spare tires...

Need to patent that!!!
Will

shp4man

One of the absolute funnest to drive vehicles I've ever owned was a CJ-5. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep.  :ohyeah:

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on September 29, 2016, 01:17:03 PM
One of the absolute funnest to drive vehicles I've ever owned was a CJ-5. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep.  :ohyeah:

Along these lines, having an off road machine will make you want to be off road and adventure, whether it's a commuter or not!

Rupert

Quote from: veeman on September 29, 2016, 06:02:26 AM

Welp, can't argue with that!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA