Arrrhg! Hit an animal. Maybe I should get a Jeep.

Started by veeman, September 21, 2016, 10:57:07 AM

veeman

Last night going about 75mph a small animal jumps out and I hit it head on.  Didn't have time to even touch the brake pedal.  Probably a raccoon or something like that.  In the last three years, I've wrecked my front bumper three times now.  First time an orange pylon from a construction truck in front of me toppled over and I hit it at 35 mph.  Cost me over $500 to get a new bumper.  Second time, my fault, I tapped a concrete barrier at a gas station at < 5 mph and got a big crack in my bumper.  Again cost me over $500 to get a new bumper.  This time, I'm just going to leave it because I can turn my car in (dieselgate) in any condition as long as its running and get full compensation.

Still, this is annoying the hell out of me.  Makes me seriously reconsider getting another coupe or sedan and getting something like a Jeep.  I drive about 50% of the time in the pitch black on poorly lit, 2 lane in either direction separated by a median, highways which run through wooded areas.  Big time dear country.

AutobahnSHO

Just get a big deer guard. This is what tons of the trucks in Pennsylvania look like:

Will

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 21, 2016, 11:15:09 AM
Just get a big deer guard. This is what tons of the trucks in Pennsylvania look like:

I could do that on a Jeep or pickup.  A coupe, not so much without looking totally lame and maybe even causing the front end to sag. 

AutobahnSHO

:lol: I want one on minivan. I think if you got the right style it could look like a police cruiser :mrcool:
Will

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on September 21, 2016, 11:20:59 AM
I could do that on a Jeep or pickup.  A coupe, not so much without looking totally lame and maybe even causing the front end to sag. 

Oh, they dont weigh much- most of them.

Looks? Well...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: MrH on September 21, 2016, 12:31:23 PM
...you hit a person, didn't you?

No dude.  If I did, I wouldn't be posting a picture of my dented car on a public forum indicating I got into an accident on 9/21/2016 in the early a.m. :lockedup:

veeman

I really hope it wasn't a dog.  I don't think it was because its a very wooded area on a parkway at 2:00 a.m. 

veeman

Quote from: veeman on September 21, 2016, 12:36:45 PM
No dude.  If I did, I wouldn't be posting a picture of my dented car on a public forum indicating I got into an accident on 9/21/2016 in the early a.m. :lockedup:

I would have also stopped if I hit a person :(

veeman

You know its interesting how Mustangs and Jeeps are often cross-shopped.  I get the appeal of both. 

Cookie Monster

Quote from: veeman on September 21, 2016, 12:49:56 PM
You know its interesting how Mustangs and Jeeps are often cross-shopped.  I get the appeal of both. 

Because they're both good at hitting people?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

veeman

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 21, 2016, 12:54:21 PM
Because they're both good at hitting people?

No.  Because they both equally go against the grain of minivans and family sedans, just in opposite directions.  Perfect midlife crisis cars for aging men. 

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on September 21, 2016, 01:00:23 PM
No.  Because they both equally go against the grain of minivans and family sedans, just in opposite directions.  Perfect midlife crisis cars for aging men. 

+1
Will

CJ

Rupert

I creamed a grouse at 65 a little while ago. No damage. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

veeman

Quote from: CJ on September 21, 2016, 07:26:51 PM
Don't get a Jeep.

I have to test drive a Wrangler unlimited version.  I've never driven a Wrangler.  A manual unlimited might be cool.  They say the larger footprint of the Unlimited greatly improves its ride.  Maybe it'll still completely suck.  I don't know.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on September 22, 2016, 06:38:24 AM
I have to test drive a Wrangler unlimited version.  I've never driven a Wrangler.  A manual unlimited might be cool.  They say the larger footprint of the Unlimited greatly improves its ride.  Maybe it'll still completely suck.  I don't know.

They're not as bad as these dudes make them out to be.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Wranglers are fine to drive.  It's an off road machine.  It's not gonna drive like an Audi. 

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 22, 2016, 07:19:52 AM
Wranglers are fine to drive.  It's an off road machine.  It's not gonna drive like an Audi. 

Given the pot holes, I'm kind of sort of off roading occasionally on my way to work.  Especially in the winter. 

Will it drive competently on the highway at 80 mph or do I have to constantly course correct?  That's the question.  How loud will be the cabin noise?  A lot of that might have to do with the type of tires on the vehicle.  Definitely have to test drive. 

MrH

Get a 4Runner!  Big time off roading credentials, but tracks straight and comfy for road trips.  Can kill any animal or human with ease! :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

Quote from: MrH on September 22, 2016, 08:39:53 AM
Get a 4Runner!  Big time off roading credentials, but tracks straight and comfy for road trips.  Can kill any animal or human with ease! :lol:

No manual transmission.  It's out.  Also given my bad back, I'll feel a little odd driving a pick-up because I don't haul heavy or large stuff. 

2o6

Quote from: veeman on September 22, 2016, 08:55:40 AM
No manual transmission.  It's out.  Also given my bad back, I'll feel a little odd driving a pick-up because I don't haul heavy or large stuff.

4 Runner is an SUV

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on September 22, 2016, 09:22:21 AM
4 Runner is an SUV

Shit.  What a brain stroke I just had.  Damn I'm getting old.  Still, no manual transmission for the 4runner so it's out.  Tacoma, which does have a manual transmission option, I'm not super keen on because it's a pickup. 

veeman

I just looked more carefully at my Beetle.  My radiator is bent too :cry:  I'll still drive it hoping it doesn't start leaking in the next two months.  Won't take that car to a Montreal trip I had planning in the next two weeks.  This sucks.  Shooting 3 for 3.  3 year ownership, 3 busted front ends. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on September 22, 2016, 09:39:06 AM
I just looked more carefully at my Beetle.  My radiator is bent too :cry:  I'll still drive it hoping it doesn't start leaking in the next two months.  Won't take that car to a Montreal trip I had planning in the next two weeks.  This sucks.  Shooting 3 for 3.  3 year ownership, 3 busted front ends. 

You can get a pressure test cheap.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on September 22, 2016, 08:35:25 AM
Given the pot holes, I'm kind of sort of off roading occasionally on my way to work.  Especially in the winter. 

Will it drive competently on the highway at 80 mph or do I have to constantly course correct?  That's the question.  How loud will be the cabin noise?  A lot of that might have to do with the type of tires on the vehicle.  Definitely have to test drive. 

I've never driven one above 60 (no roads around here are over 55mph), but it was fine.  They're not the quietest, what with their plastic roofs and all that.  But again, it's a Jeep Wrangler, not a highway cruiser.  Totally livable if it's the vehicle you want.  The one I most recently drove was a manual, too.  I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it drove. Yes, it drove like a Wrangler, but it wasn't the hunky clunky swervy thing lots of people expect. Bear in mind, I DD a Tacoma, so I'm used to driving trucky things.  The Wrangler I drove was fairly new (had the latest Chrysler interior bits), and I don't recall it being largely better or worse for noise or handling than my '05 Tacoma. 

https://youtu.be/AcYFuQ3nAq8

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 22, 2016, 12:51:22 PM
I've never driven one above 60 (no roads around here are over 55mph), but it was fine.  They're not the quietest, what with their plastic roofs and all that.  But again, it's a Jeep Wrangler, not a highway cruiser.  Totally livable if it's the vehicle you want.  The one I most recently drove was a manual, too.  I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it drove. Yes, it drove like a Wrangler, but it wasn't the hunky clunky swervy thing lots of people expect. Bear in mind, I DD a Tacoma, so I'm used to driving trucky things.  The Wrangler I drove was fairly new (had the latest Chrysler interior bits), and I don't recall it being largely better or worse for noise or handling than my '05 Tacoma. 

https://youtu.be/AcYFuQ3nAq8

Thanks!  I don't think I've seen a car made in the last 20 years or so with a speedometer that only goes to 100 mph.  Interesting Jeep keeps it real in this regard.