this situation is purely hypothetical

one car
1 (20%)
two cars
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

2o6

What about just driving the Focus?

I can't see the point of having a payment on an NC when you'll likely just end up in the Focus all of the time. Or maybe if the Focus was not an ST - those ST's aren't comfortable, and I don't see the point of buying two "uncomfortable" cars.

Vinsanity

Sometimes I miss having a small 2-seat roadster. Sometimes.

CALL_911

Or just sack up and buy a Boxster

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 01, 2016, 09:59:55 AM
Sometimes I miss having a small 2-seat roadster. Sometimes.

Buy an NB with cash

MexicoCityM3

Depends a lot on your usage, man. The 5er you will enjoy every day at the expense of that special weekend drive. It is a MUCH nicer place to spend time in vs the Focus. But with the Focus you'd get the chance of that weekend roadster drive.

Only you can decide on the trade-off. Very personal.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Split the difference - 528i Msport.

Cookie Monster

Two cars for sure. You're in California. You'll be able to enjoy the NC almost year round and you have amazing roads to drive on. The ST is also more practical than the 5 since it's a hatch and is very comfortable with the Recaros ( I didn't see if that one has the seats though).

Sure, the 5 will be incrementally nicer than the ST but you're giving up so much more in enjoyment. The ST has all the creature comforts you need and you're only giving up some small luxuries from the BMW.

Plus you probably end up driving the NC a lot more anyways and the BMW can't compare with the top down pleasure.

The only thing I'd recommend is getting an older NC and saving some cash. You can save $4-6k by going with an older one. An '09-10 is the same car as what you're looking at other than some small cosmetic changes. You could go even cheaper and spend half that on an NC1 but you'd be giving up the forged engine.

Either way you could save $5-6k over that 5 by getting an older NC2.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Two cars for sure. I've played this game over in my head a million times. I always end up at two cars.

Don't pick a focus ST as your practical ride. It's harsh and not all that roomy. Get something good for road trips and lots of space.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Two cars. But get a roadster and an old beat up SUV. Miata can be driven every day, SUV for utility reasons.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

One car that runs kinda okay, and two or three in various states of repair or disrepair.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 01, 2016, 01:33:27 PM
Two cars for sure. I've played this game over in my head a million times. I always end up at two cars.

Agreed.  Two cars is the way.

Don't pick a focus ST as your practical ride. It's harsh and not all that roomy. Get something good for road trips and lots of space.

Just don't be like this soft little bitch and get some rolling mattress for your daily driver.   :devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

There's a certified 320i for just under 2 grand more than the FoST. I know I said this is purely hypothetical, but this is a tempting idea.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rich

You're going to have a loan on both cars?

Nah
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Two cars but not something like the Focus for a daily.  It's too compromised as far as comfort goes and too much overlap with a potential Miata.  Buy something like a GS400/430 and then a Miata.  Get something comfortable but something that will make you crave that fun and exciting weekend car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Quote from: Rich on October 02, 2016, 12:29:44 AM
You're going to have a loan on both cars?

Nah
IF...I were to entertain this idea, it would probably be financing something like a 320i or Infiniti Q50 for 3 years, then buying an ND Miata after.

Eye of the Tiger

Focus ST not a good daily? Maybe for massive, bleeding pussies.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 02, 2016, 09:32:20 AM
Focus ST not a good daily? Maybe for massive, bleeding pussies.

Just already a compromise between commuting and actual driving, that's all. If you have two, you can get more specialized.

You know, like an Ariel Atom for fun, and a USSV Rhino for zombie apocalypse.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 02, 2016, 10:00:18 AM
Just already a compromise between commuting and actual driving, that's all. If you have two, you can get more specialized.

You know, like an Ariel Atom for fun, and a USSV Rhino for zombie apocalypse.

Then get a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 for commuting and a Focus ST for driving.

12,000 RPM

One very important thing you left out is your motorcycle. With that in the mix, a sports car is redundant, especially in CA if I remember correctly. Bike + 528i is a pretty good combo, but if you plan on riding a lot, like any day the weather permits, something like a 335xi or S4 would probably be worth a look too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Vinsanity

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 02, 2016, 11:03:41 AM
One very important thing you left out is your motorcycle. With that in the mix, a sports car is redundant, especially in CA if I remember correctly. Bike + 528i is a pretty good combo, but if you plan on riding a lot, like any day the weather permits, something like a 335xi or S4 would probably be worth a look too.
Yeah, the existence of the bike makes this pretty much just a thought exercise, but I would conceivably be driving the roadster nearly as much as the practical car.

12,000 RPM

That's the thought, but when I had the Civic + 350Z + bike the Z rarely got driven. It was still fun and a nice "night out with the wife" car, but it didn't do the daily grind as well as the Civic or make my hairs stand on end like the bike.

Vinsanity

Well, besides a ride height that leaves you staring straight into minivan bumpers, I don't see how a Miata would be that much worse to commute in than a Focus ST.

A 320i, I would imagine to be considerably better, though.

12,000 RPM

Miata is cramped and loud. I just drove a regular Focus wagon around France for the past week.... those things are refined AF, I doubt the ST would be much rougher.

But for the daily grind I would damn near want a Lexus or something if I had a bike.

CALL_911

Rented a Focus Titanium hatchback for two weeks in July. It's a seriously nice car with a shitty transmission (which wouldn't be an issue if you got the ST). Comfortable, all the creature comforts I could ask for, and practical. I really like that car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 68_427 on October 02, 2016, 08:54:11 AM
Two cars but not something like the Focus for a daily.  It's too compromised as far as comfort goes and too much overlap with a potential Miata.  Buy something like a GS400/430 and then a Miata.  Get something comfortable but something that will make you crave that fun and exciting weekend car.

You guys for real? A Focus ST is too uncomfortable for DD'ing? When did this turn into GrandmaSPIN?

The ST is not uncomfortable at all. My friend had one and it was a very nice place to be. The only downside with the one in the OP is no Recaros.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 02, 2016, 04:12:43 PM
Miata is cramped and loud. I just drove a regular Focus wagon around France for the past week.... those things are refined AF, I doubt the ST would be much rougher.

But for the daily grind I would damn near want a Lexus or something if I had a bike.

Depends on how tall Vin is, but the NC is not cramped nor loud. It would make a great DD if you don't need a lot of space.

It is redundant with the motorcycle, though. Sometimes I wish I had a hatch or wagon but I love the NC too much to get rid of it ever.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 02, 2016, 04:44:24 PM
You guys for real? A Focus ST is too uncomfortable for DD'ing? When did this turn into GrandmaSPIN?
Your frame of reference is different. You are OK with commuting by motorcycle in bad weather 100% of the time.

I think a Focus ST being uncomfortable is a bit of an exaggeration, but I also think it's too compromised to fit in a multiple car garage. It's made for people who want a little of everything. Every vehicle in a multiple car situation should compromise as little as possible to the end goal. So if one of the cars has to be a comfy daily driver, it should be as comfy and daily driverish as possible. I'd say a regular Focus would be a better choice for example. If someone wants a thrill ride, obvious choice is motorcycle, but if it has to have 4 wheels, I'm thinking something like an Elise, Cayman S, Z4M Coupe or a kit car or something. Has to go as far as possible in the direction of the intended purpose.

Raza

If I can daily drive a Z4 year round in the northeast, you can daily drive a Focus ST. You guys all went soft.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 02, 2016, 06:32:34 PM
If I can daily drive a Z4 year round in the northeast, you can daily drive a Focus ST. You guys all went soft.
You can't though, that's why you're getting an SUV :lol:

MrH

I daily drove a Miata for years then a brz. It's not a matter of going "soft". If you're going to spend the dollars to get two cars, why have a sports car and a sort of sporty, compromised hatchback too?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV