Test Drive: 2005 Cadillac STS V6

Started by BMWDave, May 18, 2005, 05:45:07 AM

BMWDave

Test Drive:
2005 Cadillac STS V6
Review and photos by Haney Louka

As my week with the V6 version of Cadillac's new-for-2005 STS came to an end, it was time to give it a bath, snap some shots, and hand it over to the next lucky journalist.

All went well in the wash bay until I got back in the car and hit the start button, part of the Cadillac's Smart Access system, which allows the driver to fire up the engine without physically inserting a key in the ignition. But this time, a warning message on the dash read "key fob not detected."

No problem, I thought, and I tried it again. And again. I even got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it, got back in and hit the button again. No dice.

My first thought was that the remote entry fob, which must be in close proximity to the driver's seat when the start button is depressed, needed a new battery (which, it turned out, wasn't the case). So I got the owner's manual to find out where to stick the key to start the car. After all, there must be a redundant starting system in place for situations such as these, right?

Wrong. Turns out that would make the car easier to steal, GM's representatives told me. Even the folks at mighty OnStar were limited to calling a tow truck to take the car to the local Cadillac dealer.

So with the wash attendant shifting his focus between the growing line-up of cars outside and the profitless wash bay that the STS was sitting in, I waited for a tow while periodically trying the button and hoping the car would spring to life. After about half an hour, the STS fired up, I went on my way, and the system operated normally.

I contacted GM and asked if there are any known issues related to high humidity affecting the operation of the Smart Access system, to which they replied "no". They did say that the system is very sensitive to interference and noted that a cell phone in close proximity to the fob could have prevented its detection. Considering the likelihood of that occurring in daily use, it didn't make me feel any better.

I also learned that the car went into a security mode after the first few failed attempts to get it going, and the delay in finally getting it started was the time it took to reset itself.

Just to make sure I wasn't asking too much, I contacted representatives from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus. Each of these manufacturers sells vehicles with various versions of this keyless-start technology. And each of their products has a backup system in case the key fob is not detected, ranging from sliding the key fob into a slot on the dash to holding the fob close to the start button where a chip can be detected using the vehicle's battery power.

So apparently I'm not the only one out there who thinks there's a fundamental flaw in the design of Cadillac's keyless-start system.

It's too bad this experience had to happen, because this space would otherwise be filled with praise for how well the big Cadillac goes about its business.

Buyers of the rear-drive V6-equipped STS need not feel like second-class citizens. They can't brag about having the 320 hp Northstar V8 under the hood, but the 255 ponies galloping from the 3.6-litre six-pot carry the car quite well, and with a nice growl to boot. Credit the commendable thrust to 252 lb-ft of torque (90 per cent of which is available from 1,600 to 5,800 rpm) propelling a svelte but roomy 1,750 kg of car. Credit also goes to the standard-issue five-speed automatic transmission with ratios that have been carefully selected to maximize the power characteristics of the engine.

The tranny went about its business in automatic mode mostly without drama, but I did find that it got confused about which gear to be in some of the time. When the going gets frisky, the intuitive manual mode is the best way to make the most of the V6.

But while the V6 can run on a steady diet of regular unleaded fuel, owners won't be able to claim they get better mileage than the premium-only Northstar versions: the V8 STS actually consumes less fuel on the highway.

As a whole, the STS is very American in character. It's both large and spacious: at 4,985 mm in length and with 973 mm of rear legroom, it's a truly commodious people mover.

It was a tad floatier than I expected, particularly for a vehicle designed to compete with the likes of the Lexus GS, BMW 5 Series, Audi A6, and Infiniti M cars. Combined with the car's spacious feel, the steering wheel is big and effort is light, all of which makes for a big, domestic-car feel.

Those initial impressions, however, are somewhat misleading. Guide the STS into a bend or down a pockmarked road and it becomes very clear that this big car is also a handler.
Click image to enlarge
Body motions are well controlled and steering, though still light, is quick and responsive.

So it's a very decent balance that Cadillac's designers have achieved, providing luxurious ride quality with handling prowess on tap when required. It also shows that while Cadillac is going after the imports in the sport-luxury segment, they're still catering to those folks who like their ride creamy and drama-free.

And importantly for a luxury marque, Cadillac is achieving a line-up of models that provides prospective buyers with an array of vehicles of different sizes, rather than different levels of quality. Many of the favourable aspects of the CTS's character have translated well in this growth to the STS.

I think the edgy styling theme employed by all new Cadillacs is best suited to the STS, which pulls off a sleek appearance, rather than CTS-chunky.

Inside, the STS looks and feels like a high-quality piece and there are very few things I would change, save for that oversized steering wheel. Colour coordination is tasteful with just the right glint of chrome class. Dark, tasteful eucalyptus wood is used sparingly on the centre console and dash.

The centre stack houses the climate and audio controls trimmed in matte black, imparting a slightly Teutonic feel to the cabin. As in the CTS, there are four soft keys flanking the main display that can be defined by the driver to operate as he or she sees fit. That's the best way to achieve true intuitive operation of a system that can be used by multiple people. It also allows the maximum number of functions to be available without overcomplicating matters with a central control knob, such as with BMW's iDrive. For all its capability, the centre stack design is clean and uncluttered.

The standard-issue dual-zone climate control worked in a most unobtrusive manner by getting the cabin quickly up to the desired temperature and then backing off in short order.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteSo smart of GM.
Not only do you have this key system wrong, but why would a V6 use more fuel than a V8?

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

Like I pointed out in the thread about this on the C&D forums, the guy who wrote the article is a nitwit, as there is an auxiliary slot for the fob in the centre console in case of a weak signal.

BMWDave

QuoteLike I pointed out in the thread about this on the C&D forums, the guy who wrote the article is a nitwit, as there is an auxiliary slot for the fob in the centre console in case of a weak signal.
Really?  So if you put the fob in the auxiliary slot, it works?  If thats the case, then this guy is a nitwit.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteLike I pointed out in the thread about this on the C&D forums, the guy who wrote the article is a nitwit, as there is an auxiliary slot for the fob in the centre console in case of a weak signal.
Really?  So if you put the fob in the auxiliary slot, it works?  If thats the case, then this guy is a nitwit.
And the people at the dealer and at OnStar were nitwits as well? How about the people at GM that he contacted?

BMWDave

And the people at the dealer and at OnStar were nitwits as well? How about the people at GM that he contacted?
I have absolutely no idea what happened.  I said if that was true, then he is a nitwit.  It occured to me after that he spoke to GM and OnStar and they should have known something happened.  Since he didnt mention an auxiliary slot, we're left to assume that GM or OnStar didnt tell him about one.  In fact, he specifically says that GM told him 'After all, there must be a redundant starting system in place for situations such as these, right?

Wrong. Turns out that would make the car easier to steal, GM's representatives told me."

This is all strange, and what are you left to assume in this situation?  They all seem wrong.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I have absolutely no idea what happened.  I said if that was true, then he is a nitwit.  It occured to me after that he spoke to GM and OnStar and they should have known something happened.  Since he didnt mention an auxiliary slot, we're left to assume that GM or OnStar didnt tell him about one.  In fact, he specifically says that GM told him 'After all, there must be a redundant starting system in place for situations such as these, right?

Wrong. Turns out that would make the car easier to steal, GM's representatives told me."

This is all strange, and what are you left to assume in this situation?  They all seem wrong.
I'd be more inclined to believe that 93JC is wrong.  ;)  

BMWDave

I'd be more inclined to believe that 93JC is wrong.  ;)
Perhaps.  I'll do some research on the subject and get back.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I found this on AugustaAutos Website:

"No key is needed to get into this kingdom or fire it up -- a remote start system allows you to start the engine via the key fob. Tap the key fob's unlock button, tap the brake, press a button and the rest of the car turns on while the key goes in your pocket -- cool! But a few times, the car wouldn't remote start. And I couldn't get anything to turn on from the driver's seat one hot afternoon, a problem since there is no ignition key slot. It eventually freed up, and never troubled me again. "

It seems like other reviewers are having trouble with the Key Fob.

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

Quote"... And I couldn't get anything to turn on from the driver's seat one hot afternoon, a problem since there is no ignition key slot. It eventually freed up, and never troubled me again. "

There is no KEY. There is a slot for the FOB. If the FOB's signal is weak, you put the FOB in the slot to boost the FOB's signal and start the car.

The article says, "Just to make sure I wasn't asking too much, I contacted representatives from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus. Each of these manufacturers sells vehicles with various versions of this keyless-start technology. And each of their products has a backup system in case the key fob is not detected, ranging from sliding the key fob into a slot on the dash to holding the fob close to the start button where a chip can be detected using the vehicle's battery power."

THE STS HAS A SLOT IN THE CENTRE CONSOLE!!!!!!

Ho-ly fucking Christ I feel like I'm replying to inanimate objects sometimes...

BMWDave

Quote"... And I couldn't get anything to turn on from the driver's seat one hot afternoon, a problem since there is no ignition key slot. It eventually freed up, and never troubled me again. "

There is no KEY. There is a slot for the FOB. If the FOB's signal is weak, you put the FOB in the slot to boost the FOB's signal and start the car.

The article says, "Just to make sure I wasn't asking too much, I contacted representatives from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus. Each of these manufacturers sells vehicles with various versions of this keyless-start technology. And each of their products has a backup system in case the key fob is not detected, ranging from sliding the key fob into a slot on the dash to holding the fob close to the start button where a chip can be detected using the vehicle's battery power."

THE STS HAS A SLOT IN THE CENTRE CONSOLE!!!!!!

Ho-ly fucking Christ I feel like I'm replying to inanimate objects sometimes...
I was merely citing another reviewer that had problems regarding the STS's key/fob.  Could you research and get the exact info as to where the STS has its backup slot?  I cant find it on the internet.

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

In the armrest storage compartment, next to an auxiliary power outlet, as far as I know.

BMWDave

QuoteIn the armrest storage compartment, next to an auxiliary power outlet, as far as I know.
So then why would GM and OnStar not know what to do?  (again, I'm not doubting you...this is all just pretty strange).

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

QuoteIn the armrest storage compartment, next to an auxiliary power outlet, as far as I know.
So then why would GM and OnStar not know what to do?  (again, I'm not doubting you...this is all just pretty strange).
Maybe they thought he had already tried it and it still didnt work.

BMWDave

I'm sure if that had been the case he would have mentioned something about it.  

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

And maybe hes and idiot.  :lol:  

BMWDave

And maybe hes and idiot.  :lol:
Very possible.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

They'd ask.  They always ask.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

They'd ask.  They always ask.
Thats what is really strange about this whole thing.  If there actually is a alternate key slot, (and I'm not doubting that there is one)then I am very, very suprised GM didnt mention anything about it.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Do we have an answer to the key slot question yet?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

QuoteDo we have an answer to the key slot question yet?
Idiot is probably it.

BMWDave

Idiot is probably it.
Idiot car tester...or idiots at GM and Onstar??  I have a hard time believing everyone there is an idiot...but maybe they all are.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Idiot is probably it.
Idiot car tester...or idiots at GM and Onstar??  I have a hard time believing everyone there is an idiot...but maybe they all are.
Yup, the company that designed the car doesn't know jack shit about it. sure... :rolleyes:  

BMWDave

Idiot is probably it.
Yup, the company that designed the car doesn't know jack shit about it. sure... :rolleyes:
Did you even read the review?  Do you understand the argument?  Please provide me with a valid explanation as to why GM and Onstar knew nothing about the alternate key fob.  Something is missing here.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Idiot is probably it.
Did you even read the review?  Do you understand the argument?  Please provide me with a valid explanation as to why GM and Onstar knew nothing about the alternate key fob.  Something is missing here.
All i'm saying is that some person, anybody, should've known if there's a key fob or not. ANYBODY from GM or OnStar.
And yes, i did read the article.

BMWDave

Idiot is probably it.
All i'm saying is that some person, anybody, should've known if there's a key fob or not. ANYBODY from GM or OnStar.
I, like you, find it very difficult to believe that Onstar or GM didnt know about an alternate key fob.  And until an explanation is provided, I must assume that GM and Onstar for some reason didnt know about it.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Idiot is probably it.
I, like you, find it very difficult to believe that Onstar or GM didnt know about an alternate key fob.  And until an explanation is provided, I must assume that GM and Onstar for some reason didnt know about it.
And until an explaination is provided, i'll maintain that 93JC is wrong because someone at GM should've know about the key fob. after all, they built the car.

Fire It Up

Idiot is probably it.
I think they knew it was there but already thought the guy had tried it.  

BMWDave

Idiot is probably it.
I think they knew it was there but already thought the guy had tried it.
Which would be quite irresponsable on their part.

2007 Honda S2000