Proximo GT3 confirmado Manuel

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 19, 2017, 04:29:23 AM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

I will enjoy seeing the bubble burst on 997 GT3s
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

The 911R will still be the holy grail of the 991s
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

I guess people wanted it. Manual is not dead yet.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

As a rich enthusiast wanting a manual, where do you go? Good call for Porsche.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on January 20, 2017, 05:46:03 AM
As a rich enthusiast wanting a manual, where do you go? Good call for Porsche.
Something less powerful.... GT3's class is too fast for stickshift; something like a 488 GTB with stickshift would be a full on death trap

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 20, 2017, 06:44:59 AM
Something less powerful.... GT3's class is too fast for stickshift; something like a 488 GTB with stickshift would be a full on death trap

:confused: :wtf:

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 20, 2017, 06:44:59 AM

So we should expect manual Z06 and ZL1 owners just dying left and right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrH

I actually agree with Sporty on his hot take here :lol:

Try driving one of these really fast cars near the limit, and you'll quickly realize you can't keep up.  I would still enjoy a manual GT3 a lot, but I don't blame them for going PDK only.  Even on an E90 M3, I think I would prefer a dual clutch instead.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Yea, puttering around C&C doesn't count. And we have all seen the Corvette/Mustang straight line crash compilations.... throw another 200-400 HP on that and see what happens

At this level of performance the less the driver has to do the better. FFS a lot of these cars have to have their power capped for GT3 race trim... and that's with full racing slicks, paddle shift, aero and most importantly professional racers behind the wheel.

MX793

Lol, people in cars with more power than they can handle crashing while showing off at C&C isn't going to be affected by the type of transmission.  Half of those Mustangs and Vettes that fishtail off the road are probably automatics anyway.

There's plenty of stories/photos/videos of exotics and supercars with DSGs/SMGs crashed on public streets because their owners were driving like idiots.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Driving an automatic C6 Corvette was scary to me. There is very little control over how the power is applied to the rear wheels when cornering hard. Add a bump during a mid-corner shift, and you're toast. The manual mode responds slowly and unoredictably. F that. It's good for drag racing, and 7/10ths twisties. Not good at the limit.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

To really enjoy these cars in the real world, there's nothing like shifting gears yourself, in full control of the RPMS, heel-toe shifting and using some actual skill driving on a nice twisty road. To me that's worth the price of admission. If I wanted a car to do everything for me I'd just buy one of the other 95% of the mobility appliances out there.
Better on a track or near the limit? How many of you will ever track a $100,000+ car or even approach 50% of its potential? Get real.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on January 20, 2017, 09:15:36 AM
To really enjoy these cars in the real world, there's nothing like shifting gears yourself, in full control of the RPMS, heel-toe shifting and using some actual skill driving on a nice twisty road. To me that's worth the price of admission. If I wanted a car to do everything for me I'd just buy one of the other 95% of the mobility appliances out there.
Better on a track or near the limit? How many of you will ever track a $100,000+ car or even approach 50% of its potential? Get real.
You can't enjoy these cars in the real world. At least with any kind of regard for the law and public safety. Instead of enjoying the drive you wind up focusing on trying to keep it all reined in. In the context of driving like a sane person on the street the skills involved driving one of these are no bigger or different than those required to drive a stickshift Versa. If you buy a GT3 and never take it to the track you're doing it wrong

Rich

I think this depends on location and geography.

These things can really be opened up out west. On the straights and the curves of well built roads in the mountains.

In the east and in cities not so much
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

That's probably a fair point as well, but even still, even pushing a base Carrera hard on public roads is pretty damn reckless.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rich on January 20, 2017, 10:11:13 AM
I think this depends on location and geography.

These things can really be opened up out west. On the straights and the curves of well built roads in the mountains.

In the east and in cities not so much

Fun Fax: We have a 25-mile completely straight stretch of road nearby.  Supposedly one of the longest no-curve stretches east of the Mississippi, and longest in MI.  The Seney Stretch...epic place if you've got a fast car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751DTKSqeWw

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 20, 2017, 10:08:02 AM
You can't enjoy these cars in the real world. At least with any kind of regard for the law and public safety. Instead of enjoying the drive you wind up focusing on trying to keep it all reined in. In the context of driving like a sane person on the street the skills involved driving one of these are no bigger or different than those required to drive a stickshift Versa. If you buy a GT3 and never take it to the track you're doing it wrong

You do not need to be at 9/10ths or even 6/10ths these days to enjoy  these cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 20, 2017, 11:01:15 AM
You do not need to be at 9/10ths or even 6/10ths these days to enjoy  these cars.

I think the notion that you can't enjoy a car unless you're using it to its full potential is garbage.  By that logic, virtually none of us enjoy our cars 99% of the time, which is obviously bullshit.

Is a GT3 overkill for the street?  Absolutely, but so are so many other vehicles.  Does that mean you can't enjoy it?  Uhhh, no.

Xer0

Guys, this bullshit hyperbole is coming from a dude that advocates bike ownership which is both less safe than a car on average and with more extreme performance on average.  You absolutely can enjoy your car at 1/10ths if you wanted to and plenty of people do all the time.  The manual is just one part of that.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on January 20, 2017, 11:18:49 AM
Guys, this bullshit hyperbole is coming from a dude that advocates bike ownership which is both less safe than a car on average and with more extreme performance on average.  You absolutely can enjoy your car at 1/10ths if you wanted to and plenty of people do all the time.  The manual is just one part of that.

Ehhh, bikes aren't really comparable. For starters their immersive nature makes them way more engaging than any car. Plus self-preservation/physics make the lateral limits of a bike much lower than a car. So not only do you not need to go as fast for the same thrills; most of the time you physically can't. We have all seen the videos of pretty weak sauce cars giving sportbikes the business through turns... and that's in the hands of good riders. Cars by comparison are much easier to drive fast

CaminoRacer

IDK I enjoy my car cruising at 0/10ths through a nice downtown area with big plate glass windows so I can check myself out. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 20, 2017, 11:36:50 AM
Ehhh, bikes aren't really comparable. For starters their immersive nature makes them way more engaging than any car. Plus self-preservation/physics make the lateral limits of a bike much lower than a car. So not only do you not need to go as fast for the same thrills; most of the time you physically can't. We have all seen the videos of pretty weak sauce cars giving sportbikes the business through turns... and that's in the hands of good riders. Cars by comparison are much easier to drive fast

So let me get this straight, because bikes are more dangerous and much harder to control, they are okay, but since cars are safter and easier to control they aren't?  You're jumping through way too many hoops to justify your own hyperbole now.  You are confusing your experience/wants for what someone else might think, and that is a very very dangerous place to be logically.

Payman

Bottom line... a manual anything is going to be a more entertaining drive than an automatic at legal speeds.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on January 20, 2017, 12:51:47 PM
So let me get this straight, because bikes are more dangerous and much harder to control, they are okay, but since cars are safter and easier to control they aren't?  You're jumping through way too many hoops to justify your own hyperbole now.  You are confusing your experience/wants for what someone else might think, and that is a very very dangerous place to be logically.
I don't think so. You have to drive something like a GT3 way harder than you would have to ride a bike to have the same amount of fun. Plus with the bike if you ride like a dumbass you're much less likely to kill somebody besides yourself :huh:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 20, 2017, 11:08:20 AM
I think the notion that you can't enjoy a car unless you're using it to its full potential is garbage.  By that logic, virtually none of us enjoy our cars 99% of the time, which is obviously bullshit.

Is a GT3 overkill for the street?  Absolutely, but so are so many other vehicles.  Does that mean you can't enjoy it?  Uhhh, no.
:hesaid: My GS has waaaaay more funk than I'll EVER use! But I enjoy driving it at 5/10 just as much as I would at 9/10! Plus at that level I don't have to worry as much about wrecking it!  :lol:

Payman

You can pummel a Daihatsu Midget II at 10/10ths, and still be within legal speeds.  :lol:

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 20, 2017, 01:05:17 PM
I don't think so. You have to drive something like a GT3 way harder than you would have to ride a bike to have the same amount of fun. Plus with the bike if you ride like a dumbass you're much less likely to kill somebody besides yourself :huh:

Well, I'm glad you don't think it would make a difference for you, but again, you aren't the owner of these cars.  You couldn't DD a 350Z but plenty of people do and enjoy cars much more extreme day in and day out.  Hell, Rag's car is barely street legal at this point and he still enjoys it at like 2/10ths.  Point is, you're experience isn't everyone's experience and just cause a GT3 would bore you puttering around in traffic doesn't mean it would bore someone else.  I'm glad you found something that works for you, but understand that it won't work for everyone.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on January 20, 2017, 01:03:56 PM
Bottom line... a manual anything is going to be a more entertaining drive than an automatic at legal speeds.
This is true! But Imma be honest! IDK if it's age or I'm just getting soft but a manual in my sports car is not a requirement for me anymore. After almost 10 years in manuals (Z28,MR2,etc.) I don't care what gearbox it has. Now back in the day I would never pick and Auto Mustang GT over a 5 Speed. Same for a Camaro. But back then the Stick was waaaay faster than the Auto (more so the 5.0 than the Z28) so it was a no brainer. But now with Autos OUTRUNNING the manuals there's no penalty for going with an Auto.