¡Bought a MX5 RF!

Started by Laconian, January 19, 2017, 02:35:40 PM

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2017, 05:40:22 PM
I think all new RFs have the updated transmission, but I'd check the VIN just to be sure

Better get an automatic just to be 5sure.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 20, 2017, 05:27:42 PM
It makes a big differance! Fun summer cars/verts prices drop like a stone in the dead of Winter here in the Salt Belt!

Yup. Might not make a difference in SoCal or Florida, but it sure does up here.

Payman

AutobahnSHO

congrats Kevin!! 

too bad I can't get a work trip so I can come bum a ride....
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on January 20, 2017, 05:53:34 PM
Yup. Might not make a difference in SoCal or Florida, but it sure does up here.

More with convertibles too. If it was a sedan I wouldn't bother waiting.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

Niiiice, where's the pics?!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2017, 03:57:56 PM
OK, agreed to the price. He's preparing the paperwork.

Getting it shipped or do I need to go pick it up for you? :lol:

BimmerM3

Or maybe you could come up with an excuse to work from the Boulder office for a couple days, and then drive it home yourself!

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 20, 2017, 08:12:52 PM
Getting it shipped or do I need to go pick it up for you? :lol:
Shipped. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2017, 05:07:19 PM
If it's a matter of waiting 1-2 months the cost of waiting shouldn't be very high?

Seems Catch-22 to me - would most buyers really wait 1-2 months and pay materially more rather than buying now and pay materially less?

Auto purchases are emotional but it's a very efficient market.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2017, 08:21:48 PM
Seems Catch-22 to me - would most buyers really wait 1-2 months and pay materially more rather than buying now and pay materially less?

Convertibles are an emotional purchase, so yeah, I think there might be a $1-2k difference in sale price.

CaminoRacer

Buyers don't know they want a convertible right now. Not till it's 68 degrees and sunny and then they go "oh man I really want to enjoy this nice spring weather in a convertible!"

GoCougs

Again, that POV flies in the face of basic economics - why wait 1-2 months and pay $1k-$2k more? If that were true (known) most buyers would buy now, increasing the demand, thus negating the advantage (hence I argue it's a Catch-22). Plus in all the times I've used KBB or NADA I've never seen a "seasonal adjustment" or the like. Cars are durable goods and they generally follow a well-understood depreciation curve.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2017, 08:21:48 PM

I always figured it as a supply-side thing. More people might want to sell their convertibles during the winter when they can't use them, especially if they're second cars. But I have no actual data to back that up and if there is any difference, I'd think that it'd be a lot smaller for a hard top like the G37.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 20, 2017, 09:00:44 PM
I always figured it as a supply-side thing. More people might want to sell their convertibles during the winter when they can't use them, especially if they're second cars. But I have no actual data to back that up and if there is any difference, I'd think that it'd be a lot smaller for a hard top like the G37.

It's true for motorcycles at least. People don't want to store them over the winter so they'll let them go for cheaper. And come spring time people get the itch to ride and get a new bike so the prices increase a bit.

Cougs' assertion assumes perfect rationality of both buyers and sellers, which is simply not the case in the real world.

Also, gotta-qik can chime in on the effects of tax refunds on used vehicle prices. :lol:

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2017, 08:52:21 PM
Again, that POV flies in the face of basic economics - why wait 1-2 months and pay $1k-$2k more? If that were true (known) most buyers would buy now, increasing the demand, thus negating the advantage (hence I argue it's a Catch-22). Plus in all the times I've used KBB or NADA I've never seen a "seasonal adjustment" or the like. Cars are durable goods and they generally follow a well-understood depreciation curve.

So simple when you remove the human element.

Rich

Kevin!  Fly out and drive it back!!!!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Xer0

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2017, 08:52:21 PM

Basic economics if we assume rational actors, but people are unpredictable and only sometimes rational.  Everyone knows oil prices are gonna go up, but that Escalade is still gonna get bought cause, like, that'll happen tomorrow ya know? 

Back on topic: did the Spin just get two NDs on the same week?  You and Tave should totally find a way to have them meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 20, 2017, 09:21:15 PM
It's true for motorcycles at least. People don't want to store them over the winter so they'll let them go for cheaper. And come spring time people get the itch to ride and get a new bike so the prices increase a bit.

Cougs' assertion assumes perfect rationality of both buyers and sellers, which is simply not the case in the real world.

Also, gotta-qik can chime in on the effects of tax refunds on used vehicle prices. :lol:
I agree 100%!!!! COUGS YOU'RE ASSUMING MOST PEOPLE ARE RATIONAL!!  :nono: Us car guys know the drill but we're just a drop in the bucket in the car buying world!  ;)

Alex don't get me started on these Black Xmas Ballers!  :lol: :lol: :lol: 2001 200K Monte Carlos being purchased for 10K.........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 21, 2017, 09:13:31 AM
I agree 100%!!!! COUGS YOU'RE ASSUMING MOST PEOPLE ARE RATIONAL!!  :nono: Us car guys know the drill but we're just a drop in the bucket in the car buying world!  ;)

Alex don't get me started on these Black Xmas Ballers!  :lol: :lol: :lol: 2001 200K Monte Carlos being purchased for 10K.........

The guys I work for know all the trends. It's tax time, so the crap is really rolling in.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Y'all realize I make my most money around this time of year, right?

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2017, 09:37:48 AM
Y'all realize I make my most money around this time of year, right?

Between tax refunds and people looking for winter beaters, not surprising given that you're flipping cars in the <$5K price range.  Seasonal vehicles (convertibles, sports cars, and motorcycles) in the snow belt and vehicles at higher price points are a different market segment.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

What's a Black Xmas Baller?

Laconian

Got a uShip contract out. Weird, but the precomputed rates are better than the auction rates these people are giving me. I wonder if the auction rates I'm being quoted are taking into account the seasonal driving conditions, whereas the fixed rate quotes are... fixed?

TBR

Quote from: Laconian on January 21, 2017, 10:49:22 AM
Got a uShip contract out. Weird, but the precomputed rates are better than the auction rates these people are giving me. I wonder if the auction rates I'm being quoted are taking into account the seasonal driving conditions, whereas the fixed rate quotes are... fixed?

Do not use this guy under any circumstance: http://www.uship.com/profile/jjncsu2000/

Complete idiot. And, yes, I just admitted to having watched Shipping Wars.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on January 21, 2017, 10:43:04 AM
What's a Black Xmas Baller?
People who get their Tax Return and buy all kinds of shit they don't need but refuse to handle important business. For example: Girls buying $1000 purses, Expensive weave, giving some no good BF a couple grand, Partying every other night and purchasing some clapped out car for double the KBB price INSTEAD of paying their rent that they're behind on, repaying people they've borrowed money for or saving for a rainy day! They're usually broke by May......Car repo'd by then also! Guys do it too but not as bad as the females that get the larger returns!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on January 21, 2017, 10:49:22 AM
Thats a good question. Each time I've used it the Uship rates were lower than rates the dealer offered.

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 21, 2017, 02:56:41 PM
People who get their Tax Return and buy all kinds of shit they don't need but refuse to handle important business. For example: Girls buying $1000 purses, Expensive weave, giving some no good BF a couple grand, Partying every other night and purchasing some clapped out car for double the KBB price INSTEAD of paying their rent that they're behind on, repaying people they've borrowed money for or saving for a rainy day! They're usually broke by May......Car repo'd by then also! Guys do it too but not as bad as the females that get the larger returns!

What the hell kind of tax returns do you guys get?  :confused:

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on January 21, 2017, 06:18:32 PM
What the hell kind of tax returns do you guys get?  :confused:

There are a lot of people who, via various tax credits, get a refund that's larger than what they paid in through the year.

There are also people who set their paycheck withholdings higher than they need to be and effectively overpay through the year and then get a fat refund back.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5