Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2018, 08:14:30 AM
I find cutting them tends to exacerbate the issue. Always wear an undershirt though, so I just buy tagless undershirts.

+1

When you cut them off there is a REALLY JAGGED SCRATCHY CORPSE of a tag left.
Will

12,000 RPM

I have just cut the collar off of a few of my tees :mask: They will make a debut to the outside world this summer. I'm a good 2-3 years late to the raw edge trend but CLT is a good 4-5 years behind most trends so I'm still ahead down here.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 12, 2018, 06:14:47 AM
I have just cut the collar off of a few of my tees :mask: They will make a debut to the outside world this summer. I'm a good 2-3 years late to the raw edge trend but CLT is a good 4-5 years behind most trends so I'm still ahead down here.

LOL
Will

12,000 RPM

giant_mtb

Seriously. It blows my mind that you have to use the goddamn screen to open the fuckin glove box. If anything, they may be learning a lesson that putting every control possible on the screen is a rookie move.

12,000 RPM

SO, ABOUT THAT GLOVEBOX FIRMWARE UPDATE.

https://gizmodo.com/teslas-cloud-hacked-used-to-mine-cryptocurrency-1823155247

QuoteHackers infiltrated Tesla's cloud environment and stole computer resources to mine for cryptocurrency, according to the security firm RedLock.

According to a report released on Tuesday detailing cloud security threats, RedLock's Cloud Security Intelligence team—yes, its CSI team—notified Tesla of the intrusion and the vulnerability was addressed. The electric vehicle company was reportedly running one of hundreds of open-source systems the CSI team found accessible online without password protection. The exposure allowed hackers to access Tesla's Amazon cloud environment, RedLock said.

Fucking LOL!!!

2o6

A lot of people put their medication in their glovebox.

That sounds dangerous.

12,000 RPM

Leaving medication in a car that can hit 130 degrees inside in the summer is even more dangerous

But Tesla is showing that aimless contrarianism has a price

AutobahnSHO

Will

SJ_GTI

To be fair, having passwords for everything little thing is irritating and hard to keep track of. So i can kind of understand why they would skip the password protection to their entire cloud service, if we're being honest.

Laconian

Nah it's a bush league mistake. They should use private keys at the very least.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

Laconian

:facepalm: Too busy with work to pick up on humor apparently :facepalm:

Soup DeVille

So, to run out to the car end grab something out of the glovebox, you have to turn on the car and navigate to the screen where the glove box release is?

How is this an improvement?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 20, 2018, 01:27:43 PM
So, to run out to the car end grab something out of the glovebox, you have to turn on the car and navigate to the screen where the glove box release is?

How is this an improvement?

Because digital!

2o6

I feel like tech guys and tech design guys think far more linear than most engineering or ID guys.

A lot of Model 3 features would have been cut in a freshman level design 101 critique.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 20, 2018, 01:30:36 PM
Because digital!

Its about proving to the customer that it is indeed the Car of the Future!

I mean, it is, but why do they have to do needlessly goofy stuff like that too?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Imagine how much they could reduce costs if they used simple latches for stuff like doors...or glove boxes...

AutobahnSHO

Why is tesla not pursuing voice commands? Program them so only specific people's voice opens the glovebox, but far superior for many things.

Will

Galaxy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 22, 2018, 08:27:34 AM
Why is tesla not pursuing voice commands? Program them so only specific people's voice opens the glovebox, but far superior for many things.

That would also stop working in a crash though.

Then again:

https://youtu.be/U73MhISX8aU?t=643

:lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 22, 2018, 08:27:34 AM

It's a glovebox, not a safe.

ifcar

Saw my first Model 3 on the street today. Better-looking than I expected.

Laconian

Yeah, they look good. The body's a little narrower and the eyes are a little blobbier than the Model S, but still def. a Tesla.

12,000 RPM

The Model X is horrible. Like a big Kia Rondo.

MexicoCityM3

I saw a couple on my trip to SF. I think it looks good.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/henry-payne/2018/02/26/tesla-model-three-test-drive-detroit/110880692/
Review: Tesla Model 3 lives up to hype

Peering over the instrument-free dashboard, I threw the compact Tesla Model 3 into an M-10 cloverleaf. Its balanced rear-wheel drive chassis rotated easily, then — zot! — I bolted silently onto the freeway with instant electric-motor torque.

The "mini-Model S" is here, and it's everything its iconic big brother is. And less.

Less, as in half the price. I spent a day around Metro Detroit driving one of the first customer-owned Model 3s delivered to Michigan. At a loaded, $59,000 ($35,000 base), the newest Tesla family sedan is considerably easier on the wallet than the $130,000 ($74,500 base) Model S sedans I have driven in recent years. Yet, in many ways, Model 3 is a more satisfying product.

Unless you've been living on Mars, you know the Model 3's production launch has been a pickle — "production Hell" CEO Elon Musk calls it — as the young Silicon Valley automaker has struggled to get the assembly line moving for its mass-market EV with a range of 200-plus miles.

Musk's bravado hasn't helped. He boasted that Tesla would be turning out 5,000 vehicles a week by December 2017 (actual production: about 1,500 for the month). He took shots at legacy automakers, calling the pace of today's manufacturing slower than "grandma with a walker." Added Musk: "Why shouldn't it at least be jogging speed?"

Critics have delighted as the most audacious auto entrepreneur since Henry Ford has struggled to get production up to a jog. But product will ultimately define Tesla — product that spurred an unprecedented 450,000-plus pre-orders from customers like me.

Take the much-ballyhooed issue of Tesla build-quality. Walking around this blue Model 3 tester, body panel fit is generally good. Maybe not as tight as, say, the similarly priced Audi RS3 I recently sampled. But good. Gaps in the lid of the "frunk" — the front trunk — vary from nose to fender. An A-pillar seam is slightly misaligned.

I doubt owners will sweat such minutiae because the Model 3 is unlike anything they have driven. It's the iPhone of autos.

Take that frunk: Luggage storage like that doesn't exist on other cars except for the Porsche 911. But the 911 has a frunk in front because its engine is in back. With its battery-pack stowed under the floorboards, the Model 3 also has ample trunk-storage in the rear, augmented by bench seats that fold flat so you can pass through big toys like flat-screen TVs or skis.

The front cabin is as striking as the first iPhone you saw in 2007. The austere dash is uninterrupted by an instrument panel or butterfly-vent controls. Most controls are contained in a 15-inch, horizontal tablet that's positioned high in the center console. Indeed, there's not a single button in the cabin except for door openers and a federally mandated "emergency flasher" button in the ceiling. Glove box button? In the screen. Temperature controls? Screen. Radio? Screen.

Like a smartphone, the touchscreen uses a Google Maps interface for Tesla's voice-activated navigation system. More responsive than the last Model S I tested, Google Maps loads quickly and responds to direct voice-commands — there are no multi-step navigation commands like most cars. "Navigate to Vinsetta Garage," I barked after a sudden urge for mac and cheese. Done.

Only the mirrors and steering-wheel position are not controlled through the screen; they're adjusted by two thumb-operated orbs on the steering wheel. If the iPhone redefined phone glass, then Tesla expands auto glass with an uncluttered front screen, full sunroof and easy rear-visibility.

I'm an advocate for cockpit-centered displays — Audi's Virtual Cockpit is the best — but with key data like speed and range located in the tablet's northwest quarter, the Tesla layout works OK. It would work better if complemented by a reflective heads-up display.

The simplicity of design and lack of console shifter (the right steering-wheel stalk controls the electric drive) means the center console is one big piece of furniture with multiple cubbies for storage. Battery location in the basement also opens more rear seat acreage for 6-foot-5 giraffes like me. I sat comfortably in the back seat with headroom to spare under the tinted glass roof.

The exterior is a sleek sportback-eggshell that — while not as elegant as the longer Model S — is distinctly Tesla.

Instead of keyless entry via a fob like the Model S (and other autos), the Model 3 responds to a digital key transmitted by Bluetooth from the owner's phone. A thin card also grants entry if tapped on the b-pillar. Sensing the phone, the car unlocked as I approached, and then turned on when I slipped inside. Luke Skywalker would be impressed.

You'll want to slip inside a lot because this Starfighter is a blast to drive.

My favorite compact sports sedan is the athletic Cadillac ATS. This 3,814-pound, 310-mile-range, 75-kWh Model 3 tester was every bit its match. Multiple Woodward stoplight launches (no Ludicrous mode here) yielded zero-60 times in the 5.2-second range (Motor Trend has recorded 4.8 seconds). The top-line 335-horse V-6 ATS? 5.6 seconds. The fat steering wheel feels rooted to the ground, the 113-inch wheelbase (the ATS has a 109-inch wheelbase, BMW 3-series measures 111) is balanced, the chassis flat as a board.

Flinging the Model 3 through 180-degree cloverleafs, I barely got a squawk from the Continental tires.

My tester came equipped with the latest version of Tesla's self-driving Autopilot, which worked competently on I-696, though its turn-signal-activated, "Autosteer" lane-switch feature still not-so-autonomously cautions drivers to safely check the mirror for oncoming traffic first (impressively, sci-fi Telsa is constantly improving such features with over-the-air software updates). Most impressive is auto parallel-park: No hands — or feet — are needed.

As has been typical in my lead-footed Tesla Model S test drives, I took 44 miles off the battery for every 30 miles on the odometer. Under more civilized driving across Michigan and Ohio, my tester's owner says he's been able to average 305 miles on a full charge — not far off Tesla's claimed 310 miles for the big-battery EV.

Only long-range Model 3s are currently being delivered — the standard-battery, 240-mile range $35,000 base-entry comes later this year. The wait isn't getting any shorter — my projected August delivery is jogging four months behind schedule. But the mini-Model S lives up to the hype.

Henry Payne is auto critic for The Detroit News. Find him at hpayne@detroitnews.com or Twitter @HenryEPayne.

Laconian

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 27, 2018, 08:13:29 AM
I saw a couple on my trip to SF. I think it looks good.

It looks about as good as a CUV could. It looks better than the Cayenne, which is another SUV-fattened take on a low and lithe car. Extreme reactions like "the Model X is the September 11th of SUVs" for inoffensive cars makes me think that there's more than just a bit of bias at play.

2o6

I don't think the ModelX looks bad, but it doesn't look very SUV like. It's more MPV than SUV.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Laconian on February 27, 2018, 12:57:46 PM
It looks about as good as a CUV could. It looks better than the Cayenne, which is another SUV-fattened take on a low and lithe car. Extreme reactions like "the Model X is the September 11th of SUVs" for inoffensive cars makes me think that there's more than just a bit of bias at play.

My mistake. I meant the Model 3. The Model X is hideous.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV