Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Laconian

Is her current car a hatchback or a sedan?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Interesting that you got such a bad impression.

Maybe some of it is because it that particular car has been abused as a rental?
s
Cuore Sportivo

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Laconian on June 18, 2020, 10:26:43 PM
Is her current car a hatchback or a sedan?

A 3i hatchback - great gas mileage

Quote from: mzziaz on June 18, 2020, 11:22:32 PM
Interesting that you got such a bad impression.

Maybe some of it is because it that particular car has been abused as a rental?
s

I think I expected more from it based on the hype. But it being a rental may play a part in it as well.

Laconian

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 18, 2020, 11:40:16 PM
A 3i hatchback - great gas mileage

I'm surprised the Model 3 was too noisy for her. Sedans generally tend to be much quieter than hatches and wagons. Hmmmmm.

mzziaz

Yeah, even more so since there is no engine noise in the 3.
Cuore Sportivo

r0tor

Rentals almost always suck unless you get an extremely lightly used one

60k is a shit ton of miles for a rental.  Normally multiply the rental mileage by 2 or 3 to give you an idea of the real wear and tear on the thing.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: mzziaz on June 19, 2020, 01:48:26 AM

I think I've read that once you get up to highway speed most of the noise from a car is from the air resistance.

Char

Quote from: afty on June 12, 2020, 10:43:36 AM
We went to Thailand a couple years ago, and the pollution and traffic in Bangkok were just horrible.
I was there last year, I agree.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 19, 2020, 06:19:11 AM
I think I've read that once you get up to highway speed most of the noise from a car is from the air resistance.

And tires.

If you're in my El Camino, you get loud engine, loud tires, and loud wind. And loud stereo to drown it all out
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on June 18, 2020, 11:49:47 PM
I'm surprised the Model 3 was too noisy for her. Sedans generally tend to be much quieter than hatches and wagons. Hmmmmm.
My CR-V has active noise cancelation to help you forget you're riding inside a tin drum.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: mzziaz on June 19, 2020, 01:48:26 AM

Are the tires on the 3 hard and economy-oriented? Is there heavy tread wear on the specific model that Speed Racer bought?

afty

Quote from: Laconian on June 19, 2020, 03:55:06 PM
Are the tires on the 3 hard and economy-oriented? Is there heavy tread wear on the specific model that Speed Racer bought?
The OEM tires are economy oriented* but have acoustic foam to reduce noise.  By 60k miles though I'd expect that car is not on the OEM tires anymore.  Also the recommended tire inflation pressure is very high, 42-45 psi, which doesn't help matters.

Car and Driver agrees the Model 3 is louder than the competition: "The Model 3 also isn't as hushed over the road as the traditional players; there's a lot of wind noise at 70 mph, and at 70 decibels, it measures one to two decibels louder at that speed than the segment norms." https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/ Anecdotally I don't find it any worse (or better) than my G35.

* Aside from the performance model which has Pilot Sport 4S tires

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 18, 2020, 05:05:03 PM
I wouldn't trust autopilot at all.  Shit is outrageously dangerous and a total failure of the NHTSA.

Neither would I. But my friend uses it as his own personal Uber, which I think is very dangerous. He has no qualms about drinking more than you should and then letting Autopilot take him over the bridge back home. It worries me.

And then there's the inevitable and unstoppable fire that all Teslas are fated to end up as.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Char

Tesla down almost 30% in France YTD. All those goofy, entrylevel Evs are eating that market share.

France: In May 2020 Plug-In Electric Car Sales Up By 61% https://insideevs.com/news/429635/france-may-2020-plugin-car-sales/
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on June 21, 2020, 03:36:21 AM
Neither would I. But my friend uses it as his own personal Uber, which I think is very dangerous. He has no qualms about drinking more than you should and then letting Autopilot take him over the bridge back home. It worries me.

And then there's the inevitable and unstoppable fire that all Teslas are fated to end up as.

That's wildly dangerous for both him and everyone on the road.  This is one of many problems with Tesla.  They're encouraging this reckless behavior.

Maybe show him tesladeaths.com and the number of lawsuits going on regarding this and he'll hopefully wisen up.

Tesla purposely disables Autopilot is it senses an accident is imminent for liability reasons too.  It's the most slimy implementation you can imagine.  All other car companies force drivers to pay attention, and will try to intervene to reduce damage and injury.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Oof

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/06/teslas-are-the-most-unreliable-new-cars-in-the-us-survey-finds/?amp=1

Also note that Tesla won't even permit JDP to survey owners in the 15 states that require manufacturer permission.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

JDP is trash, though.

Dodge is at the top = that survey has issues.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on June 25, 2020, 11:05:33 AM
JDP is trash, though.

But most of Doge's lineup is so old that they have worked many of the bugs out ...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 25, 2020, 11:05:33 AM
JDP is trash, though.

Initial quality, which is like the first 3-6 months of ownership.  Dodges are generally pretty nice when fresh from the factory.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

It's just initial quality.  If it has a 4 speed auto made since the early 80s, it's probably going to have all the early glitches fixed by now.

It doesn't cover long-term durability/reliability. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

IIRC most of the initial quality issues now revolve around the infotainment system, and IIRC dodge has one of the best right now.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Quote from: Rich on June 25, 2020, 11:08:26 AM
IIRC most of the initial quality issues now revolve around the infotainment system, and IIRC dodge has one of the best right now.

Yeah.  And Tesla integrates everything through their infotainment system...
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Interesting termination strategy...Tesla gave workers permission to stay home rather than risk getting covid-19. Then it sent termination notices.

When he defiantly reopened the company's plant in Fremont, Calif., against county orders last month, Elon Musk promised Tesla employees they could stay home if they felt uneasy. They would not be penalized.

If "you feel uncomfortable coming back to work at this time, please do not feel obligated to do so," he wrote in an email sent to the company's factory workers in early May that was viewed by The Washington Post.

Nonetheless, two Tesla workers say they received termination notices alleging a "failure to return to work" after they opted to take unpaid leave to protect themselves and their family members when the factory restarted production the second week of May.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Char

I hate Tesla and Elon Musk. Full stop.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

... Now most valuable car company in the world...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

$200bn market cap. Bigger than Exxon.
Someone asked Musk about a stock split - which would make sense - he seemed amenable.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SJ_GTI

So Tesla had its fourth consecutive profitable quarter. Its almost starting to look like a real auto manufacturer...

MrH

No, it's not, at all.  GAAP Income was $104MM this quarter.  They booked $421MM in regulatory credit sales.  Without regulatory credits, they are massively unprofitable.

Where are these regulatory credits coming from?

They have a 1.1B Euro deal with FCA for ZEV credits that FCA is going to use through 2023.  In their accounting disclosure "We recognize revenue on the sale of automotive regulatory credits at the time control of the regulatory credits is transferred to the purchasing party as automotive revenue in the consolidated statement of operations."  Because they inked this deal with FCA, they're pulling the trigger on this as needed to book a profit.  This well is almost dry already.  They did this in previous quarters too.

To put it bluntly: "Tesla appears to be "selling" regulatory credits based on cars they may not have yet sold to people who have not paid for them. They gave a fresh, weird explanation for accounts receivable. The quarter is a conjured profit to get in the S&P (no surprise there)."

This all shows up in their AR balance.  A company that makes cars, that require payment up front prior to handing over to the customer, is now up to an AR balance of almost $1.5B.

This is totally a bullshit "profit".  And I haven't even gone into the signs of channel stuffing in China yet.  When a company who desperately needs to show profitability is changing revenue recognition policy quarter by quarter, red flags should go up for every one.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Regulatory credits are part of their business... Hey looky, of you remove their profits they don't make monies!