Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 15, 2023, 06:32:18 PMPretty much all new vehicles are drive-by-wire on the gas pedal, and also the shifter/transmission. No actual mechanical connection...you could probably shift to Reverse at highway speed and nothing would happen besides it ceasing to accelerate/drive forward until you put it back in Drive because it has built-in safeguards for just such things since it's just an electronic connection monitored by computers. 

yeah, which leads to silly stuff like putting gear shifters next to cupholders and whatnot....
Will

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on May 15, 2023, 04:08:20 PMThe EV6 and Ioniq 5 have an automatic regen system that is more efficient than the i-pedal (one pedal) mode. It uses nav data (probably the speed limit) and some radar data to dynamically adjust the level of regeneration. It's a bit like the car gently downshifting in anticipation of a gentle stop. I downshift when I coast to a stop in my cars so it feels very natural to me.

The new Prius has something similar.  It also uses radar and camera data to see cars in front, etc to determine how much and when to slow down.  Weird stuff.

Does it feel like it's just gently nudging you to brake?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on May 15, 2023, 05:39:05 PM

The brakes were never applied.

Let us also not forget that both of the Audi and Toyota "unintended acceleration" situations were eventually proven to be 100% the fault of the drivers.

Morris Minor

It's pretty well always the driver.
Bad decisions, incompetence, stupidity, recklessness.

That's why I hate calling them "accidents" rather than crashes. It is not an accident that someone choose to drive outside their competence envelope and killed someone else.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on May 16, 2023, 07:07:59 AMThe new Prius has something similar.  It also uses radar and camera data to see cars in front, etc to determine how much and when to slow down.  Weird stuff.

Does it feel like it's just gently nudging you to brake?

It just feels like it's reading my mind and glides to a stop just like how I would. I always glide when I can. People who hit the brakes hard and make the front suspension dive are noobs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 16, 2023, 09:01:35 AMIt's pretty well always the driver.
Bad decisions, incompetence, stupidity, recklessness.

That's why I hate calling them "accidents" rather than crashes. It is not an accident that someone choose to drive outside their competence envelope and killed someone else.

100%.

Mechanical failure might be PART of the cause like .1% of crashes (blown tire leads to sudden unexpected lane variance or braking) but people are just  :nutty:
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 17, 2023, 06:14:02 PM100%.

Mechanical failure might be PART of the cause like .1% of crashes (blown tire leads to sudden unexpected lane variance or braking) but people are just  :nutty:

Even tire blowouts are usually operator error for not maintaining the proper pressure
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

r0tor

The Waymo model of vetting areas is simply never going to be sustainable
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on May 19, 2023, 12:43:48 PMThe Waymo model of vetting areas is simply never going to be sustainable
It's not exactly elegant, but I suppose it's okay if the goal is a ride-hail/taxi service that only operates in a geofence.

Morris Minor

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 19, 2023, 01:08:09 PMIt's not exactly elegant, but I suppose it's okay if the goal is a ride-hail/taxi service that only operates in a geofence.

I just wonder how often they have to go back and revalidate a section... which makes the task almost exponential in effort as the service tries to grow
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on May 19, 2023, 06:11:55 PMI just wonder how often they have to go back and revalidate a section... which makes the task almost exponential in effort as the service tries to grow

I would hope that the data remains evergreen as the fleet continues to operate. If not, then yeah.. that would be an issue.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Tesla's also giving them the related APIs to incorporate into the Ford app/software. Nice to see the Tesla charger plug setup going wider.

"Ford EV customers to gain access to 12,000 Tesla superchargers; company to add North American charging standard port in future EVs"

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2023/05/25/ford-ev-customers-to-gain-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 25, 2023, 06:03:24 PMTesla's also giving them the related APIs to incorporate into the Ford app/software. Nice to see the Tesla charger plug setup going wider.

"Ford EV customers to gain access to 12,000 Tesla superchargers; company to add North American charging standard port in future EVs"

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2023/05/25/ford-ev-customers-to-gain-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html

That is surprising that Tesla is willing to do that. Easy access to superchargers is one of the best selling points (to me) for Tesla vehicles.

On the flip side, if Tesla can sign other OEM's to its supercharger network its certainly possible that the supercharger network itself can be a huge profit center for Tesla.

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 26, 2023, 07:05:21 AMThat is surprising that Tesla is willing to do that. Easy access to superchargers is one of the best selling points (to me) for Tesla vehicles.

On the flip side, if Tesla can sign other OEM's to its supercharger network its certainly possible that the supercharger network itself can be a huge profit center for Tesla.
Tesla will earn a little bit of wedge every time a Ford charges on their network, & I also think they like the idea of brand exposure: Ford EV drivers get the Tesla charging experience & rub shoulders with Tesla cars.
I'm guessing there'll be more on the software front - licensing stuff out to Ford.

Tesla owners get exposure to Fords too. Everyone wins.

They probably also bought the teardown reports & saw the manufacturing savings they'd get from using NACS.

Laconian

Everyone wins? Everyone loses, this is
just fragmenting the marketplace further.

MrH

SEO Elon remains undefeated.

Massive Tesla scandal with huge implications, and you all are talking about Fords using superchargers :wtf:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Wow, the coverup is insidious. Tesla operating in bad faith.

How did the company deal with complaints? The Tesla files also provide information about this. The files show that employees have precise guidelines for communicating with customers. The top priority is obviously: offer as little attack surface as possible.

For each incident there are bullet points for the "technical review". The employees who enter this review into the system regularly make it clear that the report is "for internal use only". Each entry also contains a note in bold type that information, if at all, may only be passed on "VERBALLY to the customer".

"Do not copy and paste the report below into an email, text message, or leave it in a voicemail to the customer," it said. Vehicle data should also not be released without permission. If, despite the advice, "an involvement of a lawyer cannot be prevented", this must be recorded.

Customers that Handelsblatt spoke to have the impression that Tesla employees avoid written communication. "They never sent emails, everything was always verbal," says the doctor from California, whose Tesla said it accelerated on its own in the fall of 2021 and crashed into two concrete pillars.�

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on May 26, 2023, 11:51:46 AMSEO Elon remains undefeated.

Massive Tesla scandal with huge implications, and you all are talking about Fords using superchargers :wtf:

Tesla's been churning out 10+ years of scandal, what's a bit more?

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on May 26, 2023, 12:02:33 PMWow, the coverup is insidious. Tesla operating in bad faith.

How did the company deal with complaints? The Tesla files also provide information about this. The files show that employees have precise guidelines for communicating with customers. The top priority is obviously: offer as little attack surface as possible.

For each incident there are bullet points for the "technical review". The employees who enter this review into the system regularly make it clear that the report is "for internal use only". Each entry also contains a note in bold type that information, if at all, may only be passed on "VERBALLY to the customer".

"Do not copy and paste the report below into an email, text message, or leave it in a voicemail to the customer," it said. Vehicle data should also not be released without permission. If, despite the advice, "an involvement of a lawyer cannot be prevented", this must be recorded.

Customers that Handelsblatt spoke to have the impression that Tesla employees avoid written communication. "They never sent emails, everything was always verbal," says the doctor from California, whose Tesla said it accelerated on its own in the fall of 2021 and crashed into two concrete pillars.�

Virtually all corporations would operation like Tesla if they could get away with it - thing is, they can't.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on May 26, 2023, 01:11:41 PMTesla's been churning out 10+ years of scandal, what's a bit more?

Certainly not surprising news

CaminoRacer

I do think that Tesla's charging port is better than CCS. CCS is so massive, I don't know how old or frail people can be expected to plug it in TBH

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 26, 2023, 01:23:44 PMI do think that Tesla's charging port is better than CCS. CCS is so massive, I don't know how old or frail people can be expected to plug it in TBH

The vapor capturing nozzles we have are worse than CCS.

MrH

For reference: the Toyota unintended acceleration started with 26 complaints, and 7 accidents.

Tesla has 2400 complaints and hundreds of accidents.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

I think Hyundai/Kia would be a good candidate for dropping CCS in North America, it would fit their
Quote from: MrH on May 26, 2023, 11:51:46 AMSEO Elon remains undefeated.

As well as the dead & injured, I'm guessing some more hot water they'll be getting into will be the breach of EU data protection laws.
(Corporate lawyers telling you to not put anything in writing is not unusual. Written arse-covering is a task they reserve for themselves. That's certainly been the case everywhere I worked.)

And the autopilot carnage is going to get worse: the Model Y was the best selling car in the world in Q1.
https://electrek.co/2023/05/25/tesla-model-y-is-now-the-worlds-best-selling-car-first-ev-to-do-so/

Laconian

Nerf it with an OTA. The public should not be unwitting beta testers of their software. The driver might have blindly clicked on a consent decree but the bicyclist he hit did not.

CaminoRacer

I just watched this episode today, what convenient timing

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on May 26, 2023, 03:09:41 PMNerf it with an OTA. The public should not be unwitting beta testers of their software. The driver might have blindly clicked on a consent decree but the bicyclist he hit did not.

The "public" (Teslaists) love it and would have it no other way. Such is a principal enabler of Tesla's behavior the last ~10 years.