Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-tesla-model-y-long-range-first-test-review/

Kinda sums up of what I think too.  Despite all the hate, it's really good. 

Morris Minor

If (big "if" - run it through the Elon denoise machine) what he's said about FSD 12 alpha is true, that would be quite something... brooming the the old code: heuristics, labels et al.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 27, 2023, 05:08:40 PMIf (big "if" - run it through the Elon denoise machine) what he's said about FSD 12 alpha is true, that would be quite something... brooming the the old code: heuristics, labels et al.

The guy lies to you for 7 years straight about robotaxis, and you're still lapping it up...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Another interesting thing was Musk saying only 5% of people stop at stop signs.  Elluswamy: "Um no, it's actually 0.5%."

NHTSA forced the issue so Tesla had to go out & mine the tiny fraction of the fleet for that aberrance then train up on that. This is why FSD beta actually comes to a stop at stop signs and elicits rage, honking & headlight flashing from behind.

New law: Stop signs will remain legal but for every ten under their purview, traffic engineers must do a month of jail time.

Laconian

Californians run stop signs all the time. The percentage of violators is higher than 5% there. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on August 28, 2023, 07:02:55 AMThe guy lies to you for 7 years straight about robotaxis, and you're still lapping it up...

Also - it is not a good quality sign that a company is constantly trashing its code and starting from scratch. A lot of insidious, embarrassing bugs only get chased out over long periods of focused refinement. Throwing away old codebases means discarding a whole host of hard-won and cryptic learned lessons.

CaminoRacer

I just want Tesla motors and battery in a '56 Buick.

Should I buy a RWD Model 3, drive it for a couple of years, and then swap the drivetrain into a classic car? :hmm:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2023, 11:02:56 AMCalifornians run stop signs all the time. The percentage of violators is higher than 5% there. :lol:
Yup as in 99.5%. If you are unlucky enough to come across the 0.5%, they are old people in Lexus RX350s. As well as actually coming to a full halt at deserted stop sign intersections, they prefer to drive 5 mph below the limit. They like to randomly brake, and especially favor braking before going up a hill, especially if it's on a curve. They will have long conga line of angry drivers stuck behind them.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 28, 2023, 11:53:02 AMI just want Tesla motors and battery in a '56 Buick.

Should I buy a RWD Model 3, drive it for a couple of years, and then swap the drivetrain into a classic car? :hmm:
Good plan. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

At my last office I saw a magazine laying around- the entire thing is dedicated to electrifying older cars.  I don't remember the name.
Will

Laconian

CaminoRacer

Bolt the most accurate :praise:

r0tor

This actual vs EPA range thing just seems like an avenue to vent hidden range anxiety.  The EPA estimate is no different then in ICE cars - just a controlled test with parameters that almost never reflect the real world
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Right?...

But then it's like VWgate- how much is Tesla or others gaming the system to make the disparity between test and real world more excessive?....
Will

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2023, 04:35:39 AMRight?...

But then it's like VWgate- how much is Tesla or others gaming the system to make the disparity between test and real world more excessive?....

There's no alternate tune that can be put in an EV though.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on August 31, 2023, 06:09:34 AMThere's no alternate tune that can be put in an EV though.

Of course there is- or Teslas wouldn't have different "driving modes"...

OEM can tweak how much power goes to environment, lights, etc... and cooling the batteries, more/less regen, lots of variables.
Will

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2023, 01:15:12 PMOf course there is- or Teslas wouldn't have different "driving modes"...

OEM can tweak how much power goes to environment, lights, etc... and cooling the batteries, more/less regen, lots of variables.

You need to hit speed setpoints at certain intervals.  Not sure what you can do on an EV to cheat it.  There is no equivalent of air fuel ratios, cherry picking more efficient engines, screwing with emissions equipment, ect... every tester just uses the gas pedal as sparing as possible with the most regen as possible

Morris Minor

Completely unverified, take with pinch of salt, but allegedly from a press kit that was sent to media in China that found their way online.
Updated Model 3. Nose & ass job, more interesting to see if anything's changed underneath.

r0tor

Looks as soulless as an EV should

CaminoRacer

I think the current design looks better

Morris Minor

afty

My kids would love the new screen for the back seat.

CaminoRacer

I'd rather not have the screen for kids, but I'm a mean person and would be telling them to look out the window like I did as a kid.

Getting rid of the stalks is also a negative for me.

The supposed range increase (mentioned elsewhere but not the C&D article) due to improved aero is cool if true. And the sound insulation is always appreciated.

Morris Minor

One change is that they all now have LFP batteries. The lack of column stalks & the bit of wood on the dash is annoying.

But I'd say it's a decent mid-cycle refresh that'll bump up sales, particularly in markets where sedans are more popular than in the USA, where SUVs are de rigueur.

Morris Minor

Nearly a year old but the article hinted they were moving beyond mass attempts at labeling everything possible: I think they're now deemphasizing that even more.  IEEE article, easy read, short, pdf: "The Radical Scope of Tesla's Data Hoard"
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=9915627

OT: to get a general idea of the kind of stuff getting people excited these days, look at this: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/popular/all
Hold on to your Nvidia stock.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

There are more preproduction Cybertrucks roaming around in the wild.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

I just don't understand it.

Laconian

Neither do I. It looks like a metal shop project.