Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on September 29, 2017, 01:03:56 AM

It's one of the lease thought out shits out here yet

You have shit taste, I don't value anything you have to say. I don't know why you try to make a point to engage me when I barely acknowledge your existence.
You like ugly, cheap poorly thought out economy cars - I don't.
You like souless toasters - I don't
You throw a bitch fit because people aren't judging cars on some arbitrary method you thought up to justify why you like it in the first place. I don't know what there is to discuss.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on September 29, 2017, 08:51:03 AM
You have shit taste, I don't value anything you have to say. I don't know why you try to make a point to engage me when I barely acknowledge your existence.
You like ugly, cheap poorly thought out economy cars - I don't.
You like souless toasters - I don't
You throw a bitch fit because people aren't judging cars on some arbitrary method you thought up to justify why you like it in the first place. I don't know what there is to discuss.

You're a really bad troll. It's clear you read absolutely zero part of this thread.

Also, most people here think you're a joke and likely a member here trolling us all.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 28, 2017, 08:38:28 PM
Autonomy has come a long way. Sometimes, it's spooky how good it is.

Other times, it drives into trailers at full speed.

With the spotty-in-places infrastructure that the US has, I'm not convinced a computer brain is smart enough to account for a lot of things in the day-to-day driving.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on September 29, 2017, 08:54:49 AM

You're a really bad troll. It's clear you read absolutely zero part of this thread.

Also, most people here think you're a joke and likely a member here trolling us all.

I read this thread and called this car a failure on many objective measures outside of the high price tag, and dumb infotainment center. Maybe - just maybe - you should try taking your own advice and read the thread.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Dubious infotainment aside, it's got range and performance much more akin to a real car. It's just as fast as a 328i coupe, and about the same usable range, for roughly the same price.

No one else has done that yet. The Bolt is cool, but it's a different type of car.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2017, 08:53:09 PM
It's sad that this tech is being hailed as a miracle when the solution is just to pay fucking attention. But our relationship to the automobile has degraded to being worse than our relationship with the gun--at least we acknowledge that guns are dangerous and need to be handled with care. Even ads for this kind of technology not only address distracted driving, but the tone often promotes it. Not paying attention to the 4,000 pound missile filled with flammable liquids and your family's lives in it? Don't worry, we've got you. Kylie Jenner might be pregnant. That's more important.

Aside from when technology malfunctions and causes problems, if it really could dependably act as a buffer between you and an accident - what's really the problem with not having to pay as much attention?

You wouldn't complain about say wearing equipment that would allow you to worry less about injury when playing sports.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on September 29, 2017, 09:14:26 AM
Dubious infotainment aside, it's got range and performance much more akin to a real car. It's just as fast as a 328i coupe, and about the same usable range, for roughly the same price.

No one else has done that yet. The Bolt is cool, but it's a different type of car.

As fast as a 328i, costs more and range that would likely not approach it. Not to mention it's not as polished as the 328i is either - so regadless of how 'close' of an attempt it is at making a 'real car' it's still not a real fucking car. It's a novelty item not fit for prime time.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 29, 2017, 09:37:17 AM
You wouldn't complain about say wearing equipment that would allow you to worry less about injury when playing sports.

Until that equipment makes you realize you can hit and be hit harder so you start fuckin' shit up and have CTE by the time you're 34.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 29, 2017, 09:47:29 AM
Until that equipment makes you realize you can hit and be hit harder so you start fuckin' shit up and have CTE by the time you're 34.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Except the point of this technology we're talking about is to prevent you from getting into accidents - even if you were more negligent, the point of the tech is to prevent accidents period.

This is where the part I said "Aside from when technology malfunctions and causes problems, if it really could dependably" prevent accidents is important  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on September 27, 2017, 11:13:52 AM
I can picture it now - base model customer who doesn't have the autonomous features (which aren't foolproof) gets frustrated and unintentionally stares at the screen whilst trying to figure out wipers, heat/AC, radio, or speed.

It'll take this hypothetical customer a while to find the radio: the car has no radio.

QuoteAt present, the Tesla Model 3 has no FM radio (AM is completely unsupported), and no streaming of music through a phone or any other electronic device. The only way to play music in the Model 3, at least for now, is to use a third-party streaming service over the car's 4G internet connection. In the end, this won't be too big of an issue, as an over-the-air update is planned that will enable FM radio and bluetooth streaming, and it's thought to be coming very soon.

The degree to which this car's design was comprimised to appease Silicon Valley tech-bros and other such fanbois is baffling. This is the car that was supposed to take Tesla 'mainstream' and it doesn't even have an AM/FM radio?

MX793

IMO, accident avoidance safety net systems are a positive.  When people stop relying on them as a safety net is when things will start to go south.  Personally, I think these systems should have "features" that will discourage people from relying on them in normal operation.  For example, if you trip the car's automatic emergency braking more than twice in a 24 hour period, on the third occurrence the car should sound an obnoxious internal chime/tone for 5 minutes and disable all infotainment system functions, including power to USB ports for device charging, for the next 24 hours.  More than 5 times?  The car goes into a limp mode, reducing top speed to 15 mph for some period of time (maybe an hour?).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Aside from when technology malfunctions and causes problems, if it really could dependably act as a buffer between you and an accident - what's really the problem with not having to pay as much attention?

Actually....

There's an argument that protective gear in football is a psychological cause for many of the catastrophic head injuries players experience. People are encouraged to hit harder as a replacement for real tackling, which has disappeared from the game entirely.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: 93JC on September 29, 2017, 10:13:47 AM
It'll take this hypothetical customer a while to find the radio: the car has no radio.

The degree to which this car's design was comprimised to appease Silicon Valley tech-bros and other such fanbois is baffling. This is the car that was supposed to take Tesla 'mainstream' and it doesn't even have an AM/FM radio?

How is the design compromised when it allows them to give you the unit free of charge with no physical installation? No other manufacturer on earth offers that kind of adaptive upgrade.

I really doubt it was done to appease executives—everyone knows the writing is on the wall for radio, and pushing it through a package likely saved them a bit of time and money for the release.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

I think it is a little sad that we have become so bad as drivers for this to even be necessary.

Quote from: Tave on September 29, 2017, 10:44:10 AM
How is the design compromised when it allows them to give you the unit free of charge with no physical installation? No other manufacturer on earth offers that kind of adaptive upgrade.
The only other cars sold without FM radios in the US are track day specials. No other manufacturer does this because it's idiotic.

What happens if you can't connect to data for some reason and need to hear about an impending weather emergency? We get flash tornado warnings down here all the time.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 29, 2017, 10:48:45 AM
I think it is a little sad that we have become so bad as drivers for this to even be necessary.
The only other cars sold without FM radios in the US are track day specials. No other manufacturer does this because it's idiotic.

What happens if you can't connect to data for some reason and need to hear about an impending weather emergency? We get flash tornado warnings down here all the time.

Sucks for you for having such a poverty 4G/data plan.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 29, 2017, 10:49:46 AM
Sucks for you for having such a poverty 4G/data plan.

There are large areas in this country that have little/no cell coverage.  If they do, it's talk/text only, no 3/4G data.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on September 29, 2017, 10:54:45 AM
There are large areas in this country that have little/no cell coverage.  If they do, it's talk/text only, 3/4G data.

Well then, sounds like people in those areas shouldn't buy Model 3's.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

All this rage should have been directed at all auto manufacturers over the last 5 year - not just Tesla.

My 2011 Grand Cherokee has a physical button for the seat heaters.  The new models have the seat heaters controls buried 3 sub menus into the infotainment screen.  WTF?  I probably use that function way more then the wipers on a daily basis.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

As a lyft driver, I have serious issues with connectivity to 4G/LTE coverage during OSU game days. There's so many people at the stadium (upwards of 50K people) that the cell towers get overwhelmed. I have been sitting in a lyft surge zone, waiting for 20 minutes or longer to get a ride; not for lack of demand - but the lack of cell service means the Lyft app can't connect to me and assign a ride. I can't text, I cant connect to the internet. I'm basically mute, unless I drive at least a mile away from campus.

This happens every Saturday.

I don't want that situation in my car.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on September 29, 2017, 11:05:11 AM
All this rage should have been directed at all auto manufacturers over the last 5 year - not just Tesla.

My 2011 Grand Cherokee has a physical button for the seat heaters.  The new models have the seat heaters controls buried 3 sub menus into the infotainment screen.  WTF?  I probably use that function way more then the wipers on a daily basis.

Oh, I rage at them as well. My Focus has the traction control defeat buried under sub menus, and every winter it makes me &^%$#$. I don't like this trend, and the Model 3 is utterly ridiculous.

MX793

And people have been griping about this for years.  Have you not read a single review of a vehicle fitted with MyFordTouch?
Needs more Jiggawatts

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on September 29, 2017, 11:12:08 AM
As a lyft driver, I have serious issues with connectivity to 4G/LTE coverage during OSU game days. There's so many people at the stadium (upwards of 50K people) that the cell towers get overwhelmed. I have been sitting in a lyft surge zone, waiting for 20 minutes or longer to get a ride; not for lack of demand - but the lack of cell service means the Lyft app can't connect to me and assign a ride. I can't text, I cant connect to the internet. I'm basically mute, unless I drive at least a mile away from campus.

This happens every Saturday.

I don't want that situation in my car.

50k?  Try more like 100,000.  Game days are nuts.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

Quote from: r0tor on September 29, 2017, 11:13:08 AM
Bluetooth or connect an MP3 player?

QuoteAt present, the Tesla Model 3 has no FM radio (AM is completely unsupported), and no streaming of music through a phone or any other electronic device.

Doesn't support Bluetooth streaming, doesn't have an aux port.

I have.

93JC

Quote from: Tave on September 29, 2017, 10:44:10 AM

If any other manufacturer on earth offered FM radio support as an "adaptive upgrade" they'd be raked over the coals for it, hard. What you call "an adaptive upgrade" I call "a half-baked product". The fact that they can 'upgrade' the car to support FM radio means the car has an FM antenna and the requisite demodulator circuitry already onboard, it's just inaccessible to the software on the dash-iPad. It's a deliberately gimped product!

QuoteI really doubt it was done to appease executives—everyone knows the writing is on the wall for radio, and pushing it through a package likely saved them a bit of time and money for the release.

I'd wager a huge majority of North Americans still listen to broadcast radio. I listen to it every day: it serves as my alarm on my clock-radio, I listen to news as I get ready for work, and if I drove to the office I'll listen to AM talk radio on the way home for traffic reports.

2o6

I definitely still use FM radio. I listen to NPR, and other local stations too.

Laconian

IMO stuff like that is a quality canary. If they can't get basic shit like that working right, then which other corners have they cut?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 29, 2017, 10:48:45 AM

Collision avoidance technology would've been useful at any point in time.

You can say we're worse drivers than ever but statistics show (thanks to modern engineering), traffic fatalities rate per population is less than half of its peak back in the 60's. That's a lot of people that would've benefited from collision avoidance, even if they were better drivers than today.

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on September 29, 2017, 11:14:56 AM
Oh, I rage at them as well. My Focus has the traction control defeat buried under sub menus, and every winter it makes me &^%$#$. I don't like this trend, and the Model 3 is utterly ridiculous.

Oh yea... That's nearly impossible to find

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 29, 2017, 12:10:36 PM
Collision avoidance technology would've been useful at any point in time.

You can say we're worse drivers than ever but statistics show (thanks to modern engineering), traffic fatalities rate per population is less than half of its peak back in the 60's. That's a lot of people that would've benefited from collision avoidance, even if they were better drivers than today.

Fatalities are down, but distracted driver accidents are WAY up. The 1960s fatalities could have been avoided with safety features such as seat belts, airbags, and improved impact absorbtion. And modern tire technology and chassis design. I'll have to look up the stats on overall accident rates, but overall it seems like collision avoidance is a band aid to fix the plague of smart phones and touch screen infotainment.

Too bad we don't have a time machine. I'd like to give everyone in 1968 a 2010 Accord without nav and see what the crash/fatality stats look like. (Current DUI cultural stigma would have to be transferred as well)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV