A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

shp4man

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 14, 2017, 12:02:42 PM
None of this is true. Most people have always viewed cars as nothing but conveyance appliances with a splash of status. And young people are definitely into cars (google Grid Life).
If by "enthusiast" you mean "blind brand fanbois" then yes you are absolutely right, this forum is not for that and it never has been.

And Toyota Motor Company is up nearly 7% this month y-o-y.... and they sell a lot of cars... BMW is in great company :ohyeah:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-millennials-cars-20161223-story.html

Many also are alarmed by a trend occurring among the youngest millennials: Only about 60% of today's 18-year-olds have a driver's license, compared with 80% in the 1980s, according to a study from the University of Michigan.

There's also a shift in how millennials perceive cars in general. Gone are the days when owning a car, the ultimate status symbol, meant freedom and maturity. For this generation, automobiles have become less of an aspirational purchase and more of a utilitarian one.

Fake news?

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 12:17:26 PM
Really. We're getting this personal? I'll withhold the obvious reply to that last part.

Again. No car enthusiast forum would ever recommend a trade of an M3 for a CR-V. "Enthusiast" implies emotion. Emotion implies some level of irrationality, of wants over needs, of pleasure over reason, of short-term over long-term.

Then again, this would perfectly match the consumer reports forums (I guess).

FFS, Lebowski himself admits as much in his thread title. Only you, the king of rationalization, can defend this as an "enthusiastic" advice.

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 12:05:29 PM
You can say whatever you want. A CR-V wouldn't ever be the recommendation of an enthusiast forum. The end.

Who are you to define and to judge?

Enthusiasts of any craft come in all shapes and sizes and some are enthusiastic about quality and reliability (which by and large you're not getting with German cars).

Plus, the "suggestion" is because Lebowski has to sell. You'd have to be a masochist of the 9th order to suggest the "enthusiast" choice of say a GLA or Tiguan over a CR-V.

GoCougs

Quote from: shp4man on September 14, 2017, 01:05:18 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-millennials-cars-20161223-story.html

Many also are alarmed by a trend occurring among the youngest millennials: Only about 60% of today's 18-year-olds have a driver's license, compared with 80% in the 1980s, according to a study from the University of Michigan.

There's also a shift in how millennials perceive cars in general. Gone are the days when owning a car, the ultimate status symbol, meant freedom and maturity. For this generation, automobiles have become less of an aspirational purchase and more of a utilitarian one.

Fake news?

Modern culture has beaten passion, drive and responsibility out of the childrens, and it's a terrible thing.

CaminoRacer

Blame rising costs. It's no easy task to buy a decent used car and afford gas/insurance while in high school or college. Used car prices are stupid high nowadays for anyone remotely reliable.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 11:55:31 AM
This thread is so very nice and rational. Meanwhile:

"Munich. August saw a new record achieved in BMW Group sales with deliveries in the month totalling 169,913 worldwide, a 2.7% increase year-on-year. The company also sold more vehicles than ever before in the first eight months of the year, with a total of 1,571,467 (+4.2%) vehicles delivered to customers around the world."

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422212

Also, I move to rename the forum. I like it here but a car enthusiast forum, it is not.

I'm pretty surprised to see you post this, to be honest. Didn't you sell your M3 to buy an X5?

I bet if Lebowski wanted an X1 or something from BMW you wouldn't have made this post.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on September 14, 2017, 01:21:29 PM
Who are you to define and to judge?

Enthusiasts of any craft come in all shapes and sizes and some are enthusiastic about quality and reliability (which by and large you're not getting with German cars).

Plus, the "suggestion" is because Lebowski has to sell. You'd have to be a masochist of the 9th order to suggest the "enthusiast" choice of say a GLA or Tiguan over a CR-V.

Hey I agree that there are lots of enthusiasts here. Just that the enthusiasm is about things or pursuits other than cars mostly. Like politics, travel, boating, personal finances, and - last but not least - toy trains.

Lebowski doesn't "have to sell". He's very well off financially. He chooses to sell because as he himself admits he no longer cares about car that much.

So, not a car enthusiast.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 14, 2017, 01:31:00 PM
I'm pretty surprised to see you post this, to be honest. Didn't you sell your M3 to buy an X5?

I bet if Lebowski wanted an X1 or something from BMW you wouldn't have made this post.

M3 is still here. And yeah, choosing a BMW or some other luxury crossover would as you all have so eloquently argued, imply some level of irrationality because that is what luxury fucking is.

So, choosing a somewhat irrational luxury crossover would imply some level of enthusiasm about that car. Who the fuck is enthusiastic about getting a CR-V?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

shp4man

Don't care for a CR-V, but I'd love to be able to order a new pickup. I guess I'm a pickup enthusiast.  :muffin: ;)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: shp4man on September 14, 2017, 01:45:32 PM
Don't care for a CR-V, but I'd love to be able to order a new pickup. I guess I'm a pickup enthusiast.  :muffin: ;)

Yes!
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 01:38:40 PM
Hey I agree that there are lots of enthusiasts here. Just that the enthusiasm is about things or pursuits other than cars mostly. Like politics, travel, boating, personal finances, and - last but not least - toy trains.

Lebowski doesn't "have to sell". He's very well off financially. He chooses to sell because as he himself admits he no longer cares about car that much.

So, not a car enthusiast.

You financially extend yourself to buy fancy cars, belong to a club, and do some track days. Buying/financing your way in only goes so far. You're gravely mistaken in thinking you somehow rate any higher on the enthusiast scale than guys who actually work on their (vastly less expensive) cars and know and discuss in length how they work - myself, Camino, Rags, Soup, Sporty, etc.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on September 14, 2017, 01:59:00 PM
You financially extend yourself to buy fancy cars, belong to a club, and do some track days. Buying/financing your way in only goes so far. You're gravely mistaken in thinking you somehow rate any higher on the enthusiast scale than guys who actually work on their (vastly less expensive) cars and know and discuss in length how they work - myself, Camino, Rags, Soup, Sporty, etc.

Hit a nerve? All I am saying is this forum is less and less a car enthusiast forum.

And about the financial aspect I am glad you know so much about me Oh Great One.

One quick question for you though? How many people's lives do you impact in a positive way other than your own?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 02:04:47 PM
Hit a nerve? All I am saying is this forum is less and less a car enthusiast forum.

And about the financial aspect I am glad you know so much about me Oh Great One.

One quick question for you though? How many people's lives do you impact in a positive way other than your own?

You're gonna have to try a whole lot harder than that ;).

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 01:38:40 PM

Lebowski doesn't "have to sell".

You have to understand the history here.  My favorite internet Stalker Gougs has had a bizarre fascination, rife w/ wild speculation and recurring accusations of lying, w/ my personal finances ever since it came out some ~10 or so years ago, in a thread about taxes of all things, that I was a TTBer in my mid-late 20s, a feat he had never achieved and probably has not to this day even well into his (late?) 40s.  He's extremely insecure about this matter and in general others reaching what he perceives as a greater level of success than him, especially if younger than him.  Old hat, water under the bridge, it's a personality flaw (and not even his worst) we've all long since forgiven him for.

And if he's insecure about that, holy smokes imagine his reaction to your carport.  Expect many more snipes like the one above.

93JC

WtP never believed you're a TTBer. And even if you were it's all just immoral fiat currency anyway.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on September 14, 2017, 02:14:54 PM

You have to understand my favorite internet Stalker Gougs has had a bizarre fascination w/ my personal finances ever since it came out some ~10 or so years ago, in a thread about taxes of all things, that I was a TTBer in my mid-late 20s, a feat he had never achieved and probably has not to this day even well into his (late?) 40s.  He's extremely insecure about others reaching what he perceives as a greater level of success than him, especially if that person is younger than him.  Old hat, water under the bridge, it's a personality flaw (and not even his worst) we've all forgiven him for decades ago.

Easy, bro ;). Though you took some major hits ITT, no one is faulting you for having to make financial changes.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on September 14, 2017, 02:18:44 PM

Easy, bro ;). Though you took some major hits ITT, no one is faulting you for having to make financial changes.

Made a couple small lifestyle changes, having kids tends to do that. Only financial change I have made is accelerating my financial semi independence.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 14, 2017, 01:59:00 PM

What exactly gives you any shred of enthusiast cred again?

You don't even work on your bike then yet a car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Haven't been keeping up... But have we reached the point where lebowski has completely given up on life and traded an M3 in on a minivan yet?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on September 14, 2017, 03:03:29 PM
What exactly gives you any shred of enthusiast cred again?

You don't even work on your bike then yet a car
He's way past all that.  He's graduated to model train sets. :praise:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 01:41:45 PM
M3 is still here. And yeah, choosing a BMW or some other luxury crossover would as you all have so eloquently argued, imply some level of irrationality because that is what luxury fucking is.

So, choosing a somewhat irrational luxury crossover would imply some level of enthusiasm about that car. Who the fuck is enthusiastic about getting a CR-V?

What does a "luxury" SUV offer that a CRV doesn't, other than the badge?
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 14, 2017, 03:23:28 PM
What does a "luxury" SUV offer that a CRV doesn't, other than the badge?

What part of luxury (in general) being somewhat irrational have I not been clear about? There is NO WAY to defend the luxury choice on purely practical terms.

Luxury pick = emotional pick.

Having said that, an X3 M40i has about twice the power of a CR-V, is probably more fun to drive (who knows? it isn't out yet) and has a better interior too. Lebowski has been clear about not caring enough about these objective things or the "status" of a luxury ride to pick it over the CR-V.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 14, 2017, 03:06:13 PM

Haven't been keeping up... But have we reached the point where lebowski has completely given up on life and traded an M3 in on a minivan yet?

Dunno, will have to ask my kids if they'd still respect me.

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 03:29:39 PM

What part of luxury (in general) being somewhat irrational have I not been clear about? There is NO WAY to defend the luxury choice on purely practical terms.

Having said that, an X3 M40i has about twice the power of a CR-V, is probably more fun to drive (who knows? it isn't out yet) and has a better interior too. Lebowski has been clear about not caring enough about these objective things or the "status" of a luxury ride to pick it over the CR-V.

Would probably be more fun to drive I agree. But, if I don't get my money's worth out of the "fun to drive" aspect of the M3, it's even harder to justify in an SUV.

I like the BMW SUVs, and she'd love an X3 or X5, I just find it hard to justify and she cares a lot more about other stuff, like travel. 

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on September 14, 2017, 03:37:23 PM
Would probably be more fun to drive I agree. But, if I don't get my money's worth out of the "fun to drive" aspect of the M3, it's even harder to justify in an SUV.

I like the BMW SUVs, and she'd love an X3 or X5, I just find it hard to justify and she cares a lot more about other stuff, like travel. 

Travel enthusiast.  :lol:
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 14, 2017, 03:29:39 PM

Why does picking the right vehicle for the job make you an unthusiast? It's not even for him... it's for his wife.

By your standard, I'm not an enthusiast either because I stopped driving my track car and bought a practical wagon instead. :huh:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R