A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 05:59:14 AM

Lol ok.  "Putting myself out there" by talking about buying a practical car?

Of course I'll talk openly here about any car purchase I make, I always have and that's sorta what this place is for.  Don't confuse asking for input here as me thinking your or Rotor's opinion matters.  Of course it's expected the guy who's opinion doesn't count will be insecure about that and in reaction will voice his the loudest, at least it's entertaining. 

Maybe re-read the thread, I've taken zero bullets and take zero offense to anything said.  Maybe even at some point Rotor will reflect back on this thread and learn something.  Maybe he'll figure out what it is that really earns your kids' respect (hint: it ain't a car) before they're too old.  Maybe he'll even figure out what yardsticks of financial success count (hint: it ain't the badge on your car). 

Actually, I am not taking about anything to do with some silly CUV.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Tave on September 17, 2017, 03:54:05 PM
Lebowski I hope a small part of you is enjoying the back and forth. It is a thread about trading an M3 in for a CR-V, after all.

If you want my $0.02 armchair busybody analysis, and I bet you do, my hunch is Mrs. Lebowski isn't exactly thrilled at the idea of commuting 10 times the distance you do in the 15 year old beater while you're cruising around in a rolling lottery ticket.

M'right or m'right? :thumbsup:
Quote from: Lebowski on September 17, 2017, 04:14:12 PM
She likes the 4Runner and has no complaints driving it. If it was up to her we'd make no changes, this whole thing was initiated by me.

Having been through the recent having a kid situation I totally get Lebowski's pont about how it can be transformative.

My wife didn't initiate moving to Leon (her hometown) or getting the X5 or getting the nice house frankly. All me. Then again, smart women can get you to initiate those kinds of things and think it was you hahaha! Evolution guys.

For me the love of cars thing has certainly diminished but it is strong enough that I'd rather spend the extra money on keeping them. I also have a kind of long-term M car collecting ambition.

This thread is great. IMO since car enthusiasm is irrational and emotional it's kind of like alcoholism and car forums are like addict forums (not in recovery lol) When someone kicks the habit that reminds us of the irrationality of it all. So here some of us remaining car enthusiasts here are asking Lebowski to "have just another one".
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

You really have to reevaluate this "enthusiasm = irrational/emotional" premise.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on September 17, 2017, 10:29:09 PM
You really have to reevaluate this "enthusiasm = irrational/emotional" premise.

I am willing. Give me a counterexample of completely rational enthusiasm.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 17, 2017, 10:47:32 PM
I am willing. Give me a counterexample of completely rational enthusiasm.

How about simple logic - can one be rational about a subject (contextually, financially) yet be an enthusiast? Logic tells us of course. In my nicest most constructive manner, IMO I think you're trying to justify inordinate if not irrational (borrowing) amounts of spending on fancy cars.

IME the biggest auto enthusiasts, outside of professional racers or mega rich types like Ralph Lauren or Jay Leno (even debatable then), are those invested in relative mundane if not shitty (or, at least relatively cheap) cars, particularly, many of them.

autokomppania

Read the first three pages, then the last two..  :wtf:

But have you considered the new XC60? Nice car for commuting, safe if something was to happen, I think volvo offers integrated, removable dog cage/gate and it looks good.

Lebowski

mzziaz

You should have her try the Bolt. It is a remarkably convenient vehicle and should fill your needs with the possible exception of the dogs. (https://medium.com/@ethanstock/after-10k-miles-the-electric-chevy-bolt-is-the-best-car-ive-ever-owned-you-should-buy-one-c61493b47164)
Also, I'm sure the eco friendliness vibe would suit the customers of a yoga centre rather well.
Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

Hell, would you look at that; someone honestly trying to be helpful.

I wonder if the poor bastard knows what he's in for.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 18, 2017, 05:55:55 AM

Lol. Everyone who has posted in this thread w/ one exception (two if you count Gougs but hey the guy has a long running obsession with me, his weird insinuations are to be expected) has been helpful. 

Lebowski

Quote from: mzziaz on September 18, 2017, 05:51:24 AM

You should have her try the Bolt. It is a remarkably convenient vehicle and should fill your needs with the possible exception of the dogs. (https://medium.com/@ethanstock/after-10k-miles-the-electric-chevy-bolt-is-the-best-car-ive-ever-owned-you-should-buy-one-c61493b47164)
Also, I'm sure the eco friendliness vibe would suit the customers of a yoga centre rather well.

Main issue with the Bolt is I'm pretty sure it will be too small for her.  But I agree, it's a pretty interesting choice for someone like her otherwise.  Thing gets 1/100 the love Tesla does and is a better product and priced where electrics can actually almost make sense.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on September 18, 2017, 06:01:00 AM

Lol. Everyone who has posted in this thread w/ one exception (two if you count Gougs but hey the guy has a long running obsession with me, his weird insinuations are to be expected) has been helpful. 

On the contrary, I've not been helpful at all.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Quote from: Lebowski on September 18, 2017, 06:03:44 AM

Main issue with the Bolt is I'm pretty sure it will be too small for her.  But I agree, it's a pretty interesting choice for someone like her otherwise.  Thing gets 1/100 the love Tesla does and is a better product and priced where electrics can actually almost make sense.

Coming from a 4Runner, the car might indeed feel too small for her. But my wife thoroughly enjoys the car, and puts emphasis on completely different things than I do. For example, never having to go to the gas station is a giant positive for her.
Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

Quote from: Lebowski on September 18, 2017, 06:03:44 AM

On a similar note with respect to the yoga vibe, both CR-V and Escape have hybrids.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 18, 2017, 05:55:55 AM

:lol:

I think you need to suggest some '80's landyacht. Please let me know if you find a nice Roadmaster, btw.
Cuore Sportivo

veeman

Driving 25 thousand miles a year, which the OP posted is what he figures his significant other drives per year, is too much for a Bolt I think.  If she doesn't drive it too much on weekends, that works out to almost a 100 mile commute a day (50 each way).  She has to charge it every night.  If the power goes out, the next day commute will be a tad anxiety provoking.  What if she forgets something at home and needs to go back home and then back to work on the same day.

It can be done no doubt with the Bolt range but if 25,000 miles a year is really what she drives a year, I think it's not a great choice. 

I drive 25,000 miles a year. It's not that unusual for me to drive 200 miles a day.  What I'm saying is it's not a blue moon event.

Lebowski

Her commute is 22-25 miles each way depending on route per google maps.  She doesn't have a typical 9-5 though, so she sometimes makes that drive more than once in a day, and sometimes she works on weekends.  She also has some other work related stuff she drives to other locations for a few times a week plus mom stuff, ferreting kids to soccer etc although he started taking the bus this year so that cuts back on driving to school.  She has cut back on teaching with the baby but still teaches. And the 4Runner handles a lot of the weekend/family type stuff, trips etc. So maybe 25k miles/yr is on the high end, 20k may be closer going forward. 

mzziaz

Quote from: veeman on September 18, 2017, 06:41:32 AM
Driving 25 thousand miles a year, which the OP posted is what he figures his significant other drives per year, is too much for a Bolt I think.  If she doesn't drive it too much on weekends, that works out to almost a 100 mile commute a day (50 each way).  She has to charge it every night.  If the power goes out, the next day commute will be a tad anxiety provoking.  What if she forgets something at home and needs to go back home and then back to work on the same day.

It can be done no doubt with the Bolt range but if 25,000 miles a year is really what she drives a year, I think it's not a great choice. 

I drive 25,000 miles a year. It's not that unusual for me to drive 200 miles a day.  What I'm saying is it's not a blue moon event.

From first post "Her commute is 20-25 miles each way depending on route,".

My wife commutes about 70 miles a day, and she can do that distance three times without having to charge. It seems we probably will be using the car about 25k miles/year, also, and the range is not an issue for us. I think you will have pretty crazy driving pattern for the range to be something to worry about.

However, road trips with a Bolt will be a pain, and you will need to set up a 220V outlet in the garage.

Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

Square one, a Bolt isn't really a good vehicle for two kids and two dogs. 

Lebowski

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 18, 2017, 07:19:09 AM

Square one, a Bolt isn't really a good vehicle for two kids and two dogs. 

That's the conclusion I reached early on hence why it wasn't included. I mean I'm sure we could make it work if we had to by trading off cars when she needs the space, but having 2 SUVs in the family even if ones a smaller one would come in handy.

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Raza

Have you looked at something like the Subaru Outback? My neighbors had one when they were two kids and a dog, but traded it for a minivan when it became three kids, a dog, and a cat. The lady might enjoy the more car like height and driving experience over a CUV--those things get weirdly tall and can have strange sight lines sometimes. Interiors are pretty nice on those nowadays. If you can live with the CVT (I personally couldn't, they're so annoying), it might be a good choice. I know AWD isn't super necessary where you live, but it can come in handy in the rain and stuff too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

She's not a fan of wagons or of subarus. If it were up to me an outback would be in the running.  It was one of the first options I suggested before we looked at anything and was immediately nixed ... she wants an suv.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on September 18, 2017, 08:37:01 AM
She's not a fan of wagons or of subarus. If it were up to me an outback would be in the running.  It was one of the first options I suggested before we looked at anything and was immediately nixed ... she wants an suv.

In that case, nothing wrong with a CR-V. I've known two people who have had recent ones. One loved it because it was comfortable and practical. The other loved that it was those things, but she drove so much she didn't care for the gas bills. Or maybe hers was a hybrid and she didn't like how gutless it was. Can't remember. I never liked her anyway, I didn't listen closely when she spoke.

Interior is hardly inspiring (RAV4's looks nicer, but then you'd have to deal with the fact that the RAV4's exterior is so ugly), but if that's not a concern, then it's probably a great choice for your needs.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Do you know what year/generation it was?  I think the the newer (2017) CRV interior is significantly better than the RAV4 personally.  Don't think I've been in the previous gen CRV.

12,000 RPM

The current CR-V has a nice interior, and both fuel economy and performance will be good with the 1.5t. You have to delve into conspiracy theories to slam it :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 18, 2017, 09:21:56 AM

The current CR-V has a nice interior, and both fuel economy and performance will be good with the 1.5t. You have to delve into conspiracy theories to slam it :lol:

Lol seriously what kind of person pops out a baby and then drives a CUV?  That's some suspicious shit. There's more to this story.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on September 18, 2017, 08:28:32 AM
Have you looked at something like the Subaru Outback? My neighbors had one when they were two kids and a dog, but traded it for a minivan when it became three kids, a dog, and a cat. The lady might enjoy the more car like height and driving experience over a CUV--those things get weirdly tall and can have strange sight lines sometimes. Interiors are pretty nice on those nowadays. If you can live with the CVT (I personally couldn't, they're so annoying), it might be a good choice. I know AWD isn't super necessary where you live, but it can come in handy in the rain and stuff too.
Regarding ride height, my wife prefers the higher line of sight.  Had to trade the Focus for an Escape because she felt vulnerable sitting so low driving the car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

Newest RAV4 moved downmarket, both in size and materials quality. Feels pretty cheap in there, and the ergos aren't great. The CR-V is a much more pleasant and usefully roomy place to be. Toyota chassis feels more solid and I suspect does better in the snow/dirt/etc...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.