A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: mzziaz on September 24, 2017, 12:19:55 AM
The flip side of that coin is that once you have accustomed your wife to a certain level of luxury, is that it is damn near impossible to go back down later.

My wife cares very little about cars. We have been holding a bit back concerning nice cars, and she is delighted to drive around in the Bolt, which isn't exactly a luxury vehicle. However, if she were accustomed to f. ex MB, a brand she "likes", I think it would be pretty hard to have her accept a "lesser" car down the road.

That being said, the brand new XC60 is a hell of a vehicle and pretty much top of the class, imo. If I were shopping in that category, I would do a test drive - but maybe without the wife :lol:
We decided to upgrade a bit from an Escape to a Discovery Sport; mainly my wife's idea as she felt that I would appreciate a more upscale vehicle.  We had considered the Jaguar F-Pace, but there was an availability problem.  After almost a year, I really appreciate the vehicle, though the upscale features are mostly to do with it being quiet and, generally, more comfortable.  I also found that it is a good balance between performance and efficiency.  However, the problem is that my wife is afraid to drive it because, for no good reason, the technology baffles her; she wants a key that she can insert and a shift lever that she is used to and she has no idea how the infotainment system works.  She's now insisting that the next car we get will be an Escape.  She was very happy driving that. :huh:

Really makes no difference to me; though I'd prefer the Edge for the slightly larger size and better engine choice.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

By the time you get another car, the Escape will probably have push button start and no gear lever.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 24, 2017, 10:01:07 AM
We decided to upgrade a bit from an Escape to a Discovery Sport; mainly my wife's idea as she felt that I would appreciate a more upscale vehicle.  We had considered the Jaguar F-Pace, but there was an availability problem.  After almost a year, I really appreciate the vehicle, though the upscale features are mostly to do with it being quiet and, generally, more comfortable.  I also found that it is a good balance between performance and efficiency.  However, the problem is that my wife is afraid to drive it because, for no good reason, the technology baffles her; she wants a key that she can insert and a shift lever that she is used to and she has no idea how the infotainment system works.  She's now insisting that the next car we get will be an Escape.  She was very happy driving that. :huh:

Really makes no difference to me; though I'd prefer the Edge for the slightly larger size and better engine choice.

Can you explain to her that it all just boils down to packets going through the CAN bus? :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Lebowski

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 24, 2017, 10:01:07 AM

We decided to upgrade a bit from an Escape to a Discovery Sport; mainly my wife's idea as she felt that I would appreciate a more upscale vehicle.  We had considered the Jaguar F-Pace, but there was an availability problem.  After almost a year, I really appreciate the vehicle, though the upscale features are mostly to do with it being quiet and, generally, more comfortable.  I also found that it is a good balance between performance and efficiency.  However, the problem is that my wife is afraid to drive it because, for no good reason, the technology baffles her; she wants a key that she can insert and a shift lever that she is used to and she has no idea how the infotainment system work,as.  She's now insisting that the next car we get will be an Escape.  She was very happy driving that. :huh:

Sounds to me you and I both are lucky men  :ohyeah:

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 23, 2017, 12:02:18 PM

Ms Lebowski hasn't had a luxury vehicle before. We can gather that from the story. They're looking at a car where she'll spend a lot of time. I'd simply float the option to her. If she's not interested, cool. Lebowski came here to talk about their decision after all. So there is a bit of curiosity about what we have to say.

She's very much aware that a higher end vehicle is an option.  Drove past a discovery sport on the way to the Toyota dealer the other day - I said do you want to look at those she said not really.  I mentioned the XC60 fri night and again today, she said she likes them but doesn't see a need to go into that price range.

The way I initially framed this to her is as follows - we'll get whatever you decide on up to a hard limit of the resale value (just use kbb for simplicity) of the m3. Any net savings below that amount will go towards her student loans - so she's motivated to save money w/ something more tangible than a minute increase in my brokerage account. I went in hoping she'd consider the CRV/CX-5, if she ends up choosing a $20k used RX that would be a home run, as it would put her within spitting distance of being debt free.

2o6

I feel like the financial utility of a 22K brand new, in-warranty Honda CR-V is better than a six-year old Lexus RX with 55K.

Lebowski

CRV equipped as we would (touring model fwd) is ~$31k. However, I still think I agree with you, CRV is my first choice, but I'm fine with either and I'm certainly not gonna complain about her saving an extra ~$10k vs what I initially considered best case scenario.

On some level this was a test, by bringing a used car (of known history / great condition) into the fold she totally gamed it ... and I'm 100% fine with that.

2o6

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 10:55:20 AM
CRV equipped as we would (touring model fwd) is ~$31k. However, I still think I agree with you, CRV is my first choice, but I'm fine with either.

I don't know. Maybe if the Lexus was 3 years newer, was a Hybrid, or had lower miles. I can't see it being that good of an idea for ya'll. Not that it would break, but it's an old car and it's got dated technology etc.

Lebowski

My dad regularly puts 150k+ on Toyota/Lexus products with no major problems (he and my stepmom are both high mileage drivers).  I have no qualms whatsoever about the reliability of a well maintained Lexus with 55k miles. True, I wouldn't keep it for 6-7 years like I would a new car but should be good for awhile, and from a depreciation/resale standpoint the "cost" of owning it for another 50-75k miles or so is gonna beat a new car.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Everything is relative. Compared to the latest and greatest the RX is old and outdated. But compared to the 4Runner it's nicer. It was the same thing with the MKX.... compared to something like a current X3, garbage. But compared to the Rabbit? Basically a Bentley Bentyaga. Hybrid tech would do nothing on the highway either. There are a lot of good reasons the CR-V is a top seller ;)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Yeah, highway mileage on most of the CUV hybrids really isn't needle moving.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 10:42:27 AM

She's very much aware that a higher end vehicle is an option.  Drove past a discovery sport on the way to the Toyota dealer the other day - I said do you want to look at those she said not really.  I mentioned the XC60 fri night and again today, she said she likes them but doesn't see a need to go into that price range.

The way I initially framed this to her is as follows - we'll get whatever you decide on up to a hard limit of the resale value (just use kbb for simplicity) of the m3. Any net savings below that amount will go towards her student loans - so she's motivated to save money w/ something more tangible than a minute increase in my brokerage account. I went in hoping she'd consider the CRV/CX-5, if she ends up choosing a $20k used RX that would be a home run, as it would put her within spitting distance of being debt free.

That was very nice of you to be generous like that with her. Congrats. I see. I rest my case.

She's smart then to pick the CRV. Maybe later in life if she's interested a luxury option might make sense.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 24, 2017, 11:40:58 AM

That was very nice of you to be generous like that with her. Congrats. I see. I rest my case.

She's smart then to pick the CRV. Maybe later in life if she's interested a luxury option might make sense.

Generous but also selfish  :devil:

This will be a win-win all around. I'm indifferent between driving the 4runner and M3 so this is no great sacrifice to me.  A good majority of her student loans go away (something I want as much as she does) and she gets to participate in the decision by forgoing an offered upgrade/luxury.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 23, 2017, 09:08:13 PM
A $1,000 paint job won't get you through one winter in a snowy state before it starts deteriorating.  I hope you understand this.  Clearly you don't.

That Miata had several winters with snow/salt. If you look at the pics, there is white showing through on the A-pillar in one of them, but overall it was still very much presentable.

Never mind that you still have a good paint job UNDER the aftermarket paint....    :huh:

Oh and that shiny red paint on that Miata was likely way less than $1000, it was a maaco job. (It was on the car when I bought it).
Will

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 24, 2017, 02:35:25 PM
Where?

Pretty obvious with the lack of clarity in the reflections, like on the driver's door.

For reference:

Tave

Buying a 2011 RX for the purpose of getting her out of a 2010 4Runner seems like a bit of a head scratcher.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

They're keeping the 4Runner, and the RX has like half the miles. With Toyotas age doesn't really matter
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 24, 2017, 05:34:36 PM
They're keeping the 4Runner, and the RX has like half the miles. With Toyotas age doesn't really matter

I get that, but I thought the whole point was to put her in a new car since she's driving a bajillion miles a year.

If Toyota ages don't matter, why not let her drive the 4Runner into the ground?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

MrH

Because what he's proposing nets him $20k-$30k cash, and will also be cheaper on a per mile basis moving forward?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: MrH on September 24, 2017, 05:48:29 PM
Because what he's proposing nets him $20k-$30k cash, and will also be cheaper on a per mile basis moving forward?

Except in 2 years she'll be driving another 100,000 mile car, that's only marginally better on mileage.  :nutty:

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 05:28:03 PM

Buying a 2011 RX for the purpose of getting her out of a 2010 4Runner seems like a bit of a head scratcher.

It certainly wasn't my expectation to begin with, and still isn't my first choice (but it's not my choice to make).

Primary "purpose" was to sell the high performance "luxury" car that I'm not getting any value out of and replace with a hopefully cheaper + practical small-medium CUV of her choosing.  To that end, sure it suits the purpose. It's not quite as practical as a new CRV but it's about in the sweet spot size wise and what it gives up in stuff like mpg it more than makes up for in lower cost.  55k miles is ~40k less than the 4Runner and I have no qualms w/ it in terms of reliability.  Styling wise IMO it's just as dorky/boring as a CRV but apparently she feels differently. RX are a dime a dozen here so would blend right in which is a plus IMO.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 05:53:11 PM

Except in 2 years she'll be driving another 100,000 mile car, that's only marginally better on mileage.  :nutty:

The age thing is always one of my hangups with buying used - in ~3 years it'll be a ~9 y/o car.  Given its age this would probably be something we'd keep 3-4 years rather than 6-7+ if it was something new.  At the same time, the depreciation for a used car is such that keeping it for 6+ years isn't necessary.

True on the mileage as well but $11k diff in price buys a lot of gas.

I generally don't like buying used because of the extra time to find something plus my own irrationality of "I don't know where its been (or how it's been treated etc)". Economically speaking, buying used always wins, keeping it for a shorter time period and gas mileage aren't nearly enough to offset the economic advantage of depreciation that comes with a well maintained used car of this mileage.

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 06:04:49 PM
The age thing is always one of my hangups with buying used - in ~3 years it'll be a ~9 y/o car.  Given its age this would probably be something we'd keep 3-4 years rather than 6-7+ if it was something new.  At the same time, used cars of this age depreciate a lot less.

True on the mileage as well but $11k diff in price buys a lot of gas.

I generally don't like buying used because of the extra time to find something plus my own irrationality of "I don't know where its been (or how it's been treated etc)". Economically speaking, buying used always wins, keeping it for a shorter time period and gas mileage aren't nearly enough to offset the economic advantage of depreciation that comes with a well maintained used car of this mileage.

Model-to-model sure, but buying a used luxury car isn't always going to "win" economically versus a new mainstreamer.

Just get the CR-V. Clearly that's what she wants and it's waaaaay more practical than a $20K+ used luxury car with over 50,000 miles on it.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 06:17:21 PM

Model-to-model sure, but buying a used luxury car isn't always going to "win" economically versus a new mainstreamer.

Just get the CR-V. Clearly that's what she wants and it's waaaaay more practical than a $20K+ used luxury car with over 50,000 miles on it.

We're not talking about a used Land Rover or Jag here. Used entry level Lexus?  It's about as economical a choice as I could have hoped for.

I prefer the CRV, which has been my top choice since we test drove it and the CX-5 and remains so.  As of now she's leaning used RX. 

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 06:21:33 PM

We're not talking about a used Land Rover or Jag here. Used entry level Lexus?  It's about as economical a choice as I could have hoped for.

I prefer the CRV, which has been my top choice since we test drove it and the CX-5 and remains so.  As of now she's leaning used RX.

A new RX is 5K over a Disco Sport. I get running costs would be cheaper, but it's not a cheap car by any means.

The most economical choice you could have hoped for was a CPO Hyundai or GM, or maybe even a used CR-V/RAV4.

Sinking $20K+ into a 50,000 mile car for the Lexus badge is exactly the materialistic treadmill you're saying you want to avoid.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 06:30:43 PM

A new RX is 5K over a Disco Sport. I get running costs would be cheaper, but it's not a cheap car by any means.

What's that have to do with anything?

A used disco sport is not something I would comfortably buy with 50k miles with the intention of driving another 50-100k miles.  A Toyota product is. 

The most economical choice you could have hoped for was a CPO Hyundai or GM, or maybe even a used CR-V/RAV4.

I said most economic choice I could have hoped for not the most economical choice within the realm of all possibilities.  We could buy a used Kia Rio too that's not really being discussed is it?

Sinking $20K+ into a 50,000 mile car for the Lexus badge is exactly the materialistic treadmill you're saying you want to avoid.

Lol ok.

She was offered anything she wants up to a limit of ~$50k. If she ends up choosing a $20k used Lexus RX in gramma tan I'm not gonna be like "damn what a badge whore!"