I hate dealerships

Started by MrH, August 21, 2018, 03:22:18 PM

68_427

Quote from: MrH on September 21, 2018, 11:26:31 AM
Yeah, this 2.0T is way better than any V6 Accord I've driven.  Much quicker.  It's actually better in auto mode than using the paddles too.  If you're driving along and decide to give it more gas, the computer can determine how many gears to drop, and then execute way faster than if you try to click the paddle 4 times and wait for the transmission to execute each downshift.

Jumping multiple gears at a time is something you can't really replicate with a paddle setup.

I think some manufacturers have implemented a system where if you hold the downshift paddle it drops to the lowest possible gear.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 21, 2018, 09:52:30 AM
How's the 2.0T compare to a Honda V6?
It reminds us that, even with a third lopped off, an inline-six is still superior to a V6.
:stirspot:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 21, 2018, 05:57:33 AM
It's almost unfair to compare lap times between cars decades apart.... the tires Duke, the tires!

The Accord holds its own though for sure. Its looks are growing on me too.

It's a little...French.  A sharp looker for sure.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Morris Minor

Quote from: Submariner on September 24, 2018, 03:06:22 PM
It's a little...French.  A sharp looker for sure.
It looks like a liftback. But it isn't, I'm guessing for structural rigidity reasons.
And liftbacks smell bad to Americans wary of any suggestion of non-SUV hatchbackery.

Rich

Can you get a body kit to replace the front end?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 24, 2018, 03:24:59 PM
It looks like a liftback. But it isn't, I'm guessing for structural rigidity reasons.
And liftbacks smell bad to Americans wary of any suggestion of non-SUV hatchbackery.

The does feel incredibly rigid for it's weight.  I agree, it's a whole lot easier to get great torisonal rigidity when you can run a big cross member along the rear shelf of a sedan.

After driving almost 2,000 miles in the accord, I think I've figured out my ideal daily driver: if they made a new Crosstour version of the current Accord.  Doesn't even need the additional ride height.  But a wagon body + AWD and it'd be perfect.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on September 25, 2018, 06:26:51 PM
The does feel incredibly rigid for it's weight.  I agree, it's a whole lot easier to get great torisonal rigidity when you can run a big cross member along the rear shelf of a sedan.

After driving almost 2,000 miles in the accord, I think I've figured out my ideal daily driver: if they made a new Crosstour version of the current Accord.  Doesn't even need the additional ride height.  But a wagon body + AWD and it'd be perfect.
My dad had a Saab 9000 liftback back in the day. It was floppy, & creaked over the bumps.
(But not as bad as my mother-in-law's brand new Buick Cascada, which has the structural rigidity of a fettucine noodle that has been boiled for 3 1/2 hours.)

12,000 RPM

Maybe they could make a liftback with a removable rear strut brace. Would have been great in my 350Z. Remove and put in front seat at Home Depot. Put back at track day.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Only Europe buys liftbacks.

Also, no one really buys this class of car except the US, and we generally prefer sedans.

The only liftback D-segment left is the Insignia/Regal, and the EU Mondeo. Everywhere else is all sedans. Why develop a liftback when it seems to be the worst aspects of a sedan and a wagon?

AutobahnSHO

Is the Civic or crosstour a lift back?
Will

mzziaz

Liftbacks are great. I've never understood why they are so unpopular stateside.
Cuore Sportivo

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2018, 06:02:30 AM
Maybe they could make a liftback with a removable rear strut brace. Would have been great in my 350Z. Remove and put in front seat at Home Depot. Put back at track day.

It's not going to provide much, if any, structural rigidity if it snaps into place.  Bolting something in would be a no-go for an OEM.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Tesla Model S is a liftback, the Model 3 is not.  I think Musk wanted to make the model 3 a liftback but in order to get max headroom in the backseat, he had to make it a sedan.

MexicoCityM3

4 series and A5/7 are liftbacks
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on September 28, 2018, 07:27:21 AM
It's not going to provide much, if any, structural rigidity if it snaps into place.  Bolting something in would be a no-go for an OEM.

Oh, you could make a snap-in brace that's effective.

Nobody would use it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I would

And bolt in strut braces are effective.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on September 28, 2018, 07:39:30 AM
Tesla Model S is a liftback, the Model 3 is not.  I think Musk wanted to make the model 3 a liftback but in order to get max headroom in the backseat, he had to make it a sedan.

That sounds like a cop out. The Model 3 has awkward packaging, and I suspect that big one piece of roof glass is part of the culprit.

r0tor

VIR Accord fun fact

The brakes went soft and warning light went on after exactly 1 braking zone and a full set of pads would only last 10 laps.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

It's also a midsized sedan not really meant for the track.

What do you expect

r0tor

Just a fun fact in C&D... Holy let's get defensive batman
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on October 01, 2018, 05:47:02 PM
It's also a midsized sedan not really meant for the track.

What do you expect

So what you're telling us is that it's perfect for Sporty's next track toy.

Sorry sporty, couldn't help myself :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on October 01, 2018, 06:07:15 PM

This should be noted

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on October 01, 2018, 06:07:15 PM

Ha ha ha.

G was actually pretty solid on the track; a few people track them. Engine stayed cool, brake pedal never faded. I just overdrove and the VSC failed. And there were walls.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 01, 2018, 07:08:56 PM
Ha ha ha.

G was actually pretty solid on the track; a few people track them. Engine stayed cool, brake pedal never faded. I just overdrove and the VSC failed. And there were walls.

VSC failed = not the definition of "solid" in my book
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

VSC didn't fail ;).

Infiniti G is a tank.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2018, 09:25:29 PM
VSC didn't fail ;).

Infiniti G is a tank.
The light went solid, and the car spun out in the next corner after 2 sessions of no drama. It failed.

Morris Minor

I'd live to change out my G. i still love it... but I want a new toy.
However my financial plan does not include a new car for a few years.

MrH

I'm glad my Accord thread will forever be named "I hate dealerships".

Dropped it off to get tinted today.  Lots of different types of tint materials out there.  Ended up going 30% metallic.  Sounds like cell phone reception isn't really an issue with it anymore, but it was more gray and less tan looking.  Hopefully this will keep the heat out a bit.  The car is like a glass oven in the sunlight.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

JWC

I still love my Crosstour. I've long had a thing for hatchbacks/liftbacks. There were a couple of Jensen Interceptors in the San Mateo neighborhood I worked---just a beautiful.

Speaking of brakes, we used to support a driver at the Honda dealer in California where I was the parts manager. I asked him why he bought standard brake pads for his car instead of higher grade pads intended for the track. (Cheaper he said). I asked about brake fade--and he said he baked his brake pads in an oven for 2-3 hours and brake fade wasn't a problem with that method.

Is that still a thing? or simply a trick of the time for amateur racers?