CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 19, 2020, 05:07:13 PM
Battery was dead this morning - just like the innumerable other owners' anecdotes in the CR-V forums and groups. We've had the car 34 months, & it's got 32,000 miles on the clock. They eat 12V batteries apparently & the OEM ones are cheap garbage, like the OEM tires.
Are they making them in China now?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 19, 2020, 05:07:13 PM
Battery was dead this morning - just like the innumerable other owners' anecdotes in the CR-V forums and groups. We've had the car 34 months, & it's got 32,000 miles on the clock. They eat 12V batteries apparently & the OEM ones are cheap garbage, like the OEM tires.

And the OEM engine :lol:

...just kidding...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Does it have an AGM battery or normal?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Hondas usually seem to have tiny motorcycle batteries.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 19, 2020, 06:41:30 PM
Hondas usually seem to have tiny motorcycle batteries.

And WHAT is up with that tiny tiny oil filter??.....   On a 3.3L V6. :mask:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 19, 2020, 07:54:52 PM
And WHAT is up with that tiny tiny oil filter??.....   On a 3.3L V6. :mask:

I dunno. Nissans are even worse.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 19, 2020, 05:48:53 PM
And the OEM engine :lol:

...just kidding...
. I would have ritually anointed the new battery with a dab of oil but it reeked of gasoline.
Mrs Morris had to take the other car to tennis. Pissed of at the delay. Came home after the match, fixed me with her infamous I Mean Business blue eye stare:  "We're trading this thing in"
My heart skipped a beat for some reason: maybe her beautiful eyes, maybe the thrill of car hunting.
Yep. It was the car hunting.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 19, 2020, 09:01:00 PM
. I would have ritually anointed the new battery with a dab of oil but it reeked of gasoline.
Mrs Morris had to take the other car to tennis. Pissed of at the delay. Came home after the match, fixed me with her infamous I Mean Business blue eye stare:  "We're trading this thing in"
My heart skipped a beat for some reason: maybe her beautiful eyes, maybe the thrill of car hunting.

Oh boy! Time for some vicarious shopping.   :dance:

Morris Minor

Maybe a CX-9?
I see CR has moved Mazda to the top of the reliability ratings & Toyota has been displaced: I can't remember a time when Toyota/Lexus were not at the top.

Quote:
Of the 26 brands ranked in the Consumer Reports reliability survey, Japanese automakers fared the best.
For the first time, the Japanese brand Mazda ranked at the top of the nonprofit organization's reliability list. Toyota vehicles ranked second and third. Toyota products had always topped the reliability rankings since the survey began in 2005, Consumer Reports said.
:Unquote
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/19/tesla-model-s-no-longer-recommended-by-consumer-reports.html

FoMoJo

2.5 SKYACTIV (turbocharged), sounds good.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

CX-9 in that amazing metallic blue. OMG. I've seen one in my neighborhood a few times, the fluid lines and deepness of the paint are just to die for (assuming the car is freshly washed).

veeman

I love the Soul Red color Mazda has.  It's one of the best colors out there.  Don't know how it would look on large car like a CX-9 though. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on November 20, 2020, 11:46:51 AM
I love the Soul Red color Mazda has.  It's one of the best colors out there.  Don't know how it would look on large car like a CX-9 though. 

Every car should be soul red!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on November 20, 2020, 11:46:51 AM
It would be easy to find in a parking lot...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 19, 2020, 09:01:00 PM

:lol:

How about a nice Kia Stinger?

Morris Minor

My quick armchair opinion on the CX-9.

Positives.
It's reliable - most of the way into it's model cycle - bugs ironed out.
It's fun w/ *great* handling for an SUV.
It's good looking.
They've fixed the infotainment in the 2021.
It's made in Japan.

Negatives.
A bit bigger than we want - ideally we'd want something Edge-sized: between the CX-5 & 9
So-so fuel economy from a 4-banger that's well-stretched in a big vehicle & lacks a six's refinement.

Laconian

Do you really need something bigger than the CX-5? It's not a small car, and it's just the two of you, right?

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2020, 02:54:35 PM
Do you really need something bigger than the CX-5? It's not a small car, and it's just the two of you, right?
Yup just for the two of us. The CX-5 did not make the cut when I was looking last time because its interior room was quite a bit down on the CR-V.

Laconian

It might be more of a packaging thing, rather than overall vehicle size. Did you try the CX-30? Everybody's fawning over that thing.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 20, 2020, 02:45:12 PM
My quick armchair opinion on the CX-9.

Positives.
It's reliable - most of the way into it's model cycle - bugs ironed out.
It's fun w/ *great* handling for an SUV.
It's good looking.
They've fixed the infotainment in the 2021.
It's made in Japan.

Negatives.
A bit bigger than we want - ideally we'd want something Edge-sized: between the CX-5 & 9
So-so fuel economy from a 4-banger that's well-stretched in a big vehicle & lacks a six's refinement.
Ford Edge, more room where you need it.  ST would be the model of choice.  A few more bucks but 2.7 V6, 335 bhp, AWD, 8 spd.

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 20, 2020, 04:50:42 PM
Ford Edge, more room where you need it.  ST would be the model of choice.  A few more bucks but 2.7 V6, 335 bhp, AWD, 8 spd.
They are nice - surprised so few play in this midsized segment - I saw a rumor that Mazda is working on something between the CX-5 & 9.

On Mazda generally, I've probably told this anecdote before but, a few years ago I rented a car in Milwaukee - I'd specified a "full-size" & so fully expected to get some mediocre shitbox that domestic manufacturers churn out for fleet buyers & people with bad credit.

Picked it up in the dark rental parking deck, got out of the airport, and on the first curve of the on-ramp I woke up from my slightly pissed-off & hungry state & thought, "Holy crap - what do we have here?" It felt so responsive: taut & absolutely planted, a delight. Mazda6.

AutobahnSHO

Highlander? (Lexus equivalent?)

Shame the CX-5 is too small, that's what I was going to suggest.

Does the NEW (current) CR-V have the same drivetrain/ issues?

If you really don't need the rear seatroom, new BRZ should be out soon??  :thumbsup:
Will

Laconian

I doubt it.. hard to talk average folks out of sitting up high once they've experienced an SUV..

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on November 21, 2020, 08:15:13 PM
I doubt it.. hard to talk average folks out of sitting up high once they've experienced an SUV..
I remember when most cars were of a height where one could slide into them rather than having to crouch down and slither and end up banging your head on the door frame.  I blame Hudson for introducing the "step down" model, but at least they mandated that there be enough headroom so that men could keep their hats on while sitting in the car.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

I've paid off the remainder of the loan on the CR-V. First step to getting rid of it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 27, 2020, 10:55:46 AM
I've paid off the remainder of the loan on the CR-V. First step to getting rid of it.

Second step is sell it.
I've got $150 for it. :lol:

shp4man

Trade it in. That would be the least headache of all the options.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on November 27, 2020, 11:39:37 AM
Trade it in. That would be the least headache of all the options.
Good advice.  Selling it privately may result in a highly dissatisfied buyer who knows where you live.

Morris Minor

Yup, I'll be trading it in against a Mazda or something. They can deal with it.