EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

CaminoRacer

Ehh idk I generally prefer mirrors. Much more reliable than most rear view camera systems I've used
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

I've never driven a vehicle with a full rearview camera system - but I'm guessing it's awesome.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 19, 2021, 04:04:00 PM
I'm in London. Have seen my first ID3, and this e-tron.
NHTSA needs to stop prevaricating and change rules in the US to allow alternatives to mirrors. Maybe the International Fraternal Order of Rearview Mirror Technicians also has the Dems in a headlock.

Why put the camera there?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Somehow, this EV credit appears to have carried through in the $1.5T spending bill the democrats are saying will probably pass today.  We'll see, but I figured that would have got the ax early on.

Would equate to $12,500 in tax credit for UAW assembled EVs.  Ford has delayed the order book and build configurator for the Lightning until this is done.  If the leaked pricing hold true though, and these tax credits actually go through, I'll likely snag one if my reservation can happen in 2022 sometime.

I think the sweat spot is XLT + Prem Pack, but standard battery pack.  The extended battery pack bumps from 426 hp to 563 hp, 230 miles to 300 miles, and allows you to power your home off the truck.  All really cool stuff, but probably unnecessary.  It's a $10,000 option that I would have a hard time justifying to myself.  426 hp will be plenty fast, 230 miles plenty far, and the home charging might come in handy once every couple of years.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

I also assumed that would get cut out as it would seem to go against trade agreements (which are considered law if I understand things right). If it does go all the way through it would be hard to pass up a 12,500 credit, maybe I'll have to stick my toe into the EV market if they do it. I'd prefer something smaller than an F150 though.  :lol:

CaminoRacer

I might buy a second EV if it passes. Then the Miata can be full racecar

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 28, 2021, 09:22:11 AM
I also assumed that would get cut out as it would seem to go against trade agreements (which are considered law if I understand things right). If it does go all the way through it would be hard to pass up a 12,500 credit, maybe I'll have to stick my toe into the EV market if they do it. I'd prefer something smaller than an F150 though.  :lol:

I can't think of a vehicle that will be able to get the full $12,500 except the Lightning?  It's like it's designed only for the Lightning :lol:

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 28, 2021, 10:12:58 AM
I might buy a second EV if it passes. Then the Miata can be full racecar

Did you already get an EV credit?  I don't know if there's a limit how many times people can take advantage of it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Nope I bought the Bolt used

Laconian

Gah, I have an unreasonable crush on the Ioniq 5 and EV6. More the EV6, I think. It's my #1 pick for "if the Outback exploded in January, what would I buy?"
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

Ioniq looks great, love the style. If it was a bit smaller it would probably be the most likely EV to end up in my driveway.

MrH

I like the EV6 a lot more than the Ioniq 5. Ioniq 5 is trying a bit too hard with the wheels, funky headlights, magnet board on the dash :wtf:.

I want to see pricing and timing though.  Seems like they keep pushing both out.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Supposedly January 2022.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on October 29, 2021, 03:13:44 PM
Supposedly January 2022.

I don't believe it. If it's not posted on TRUTH Social, then I don't believe it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on October 29, 2021, 03:13:44 PM
Supposedly January 2022.

I wonder if Hyundai is going with the Tesla way of using more advanced processor or utilizing old automotive way of using decades old processors for little things all over the place with these newer EVs.

CaminoRacer

They've launched in Europe they just hate Americans

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on October 29, 2021, 06:02:05 PM
I wonder if Hyundai is going with the Tesla way of using more advanced processor or utilizing old automotive way of using decades old processors for little things all over the place with these newer EVs.

It is ridiculous. A 10 year old Jitterbug cell phone could run most new cars, but instead they have 50 different modules scattered throughout the vehicle.

Morris Minor

Quote from: NomisR on October 29, 2021, 06:02:05 PM
This "Let's do it the ICE Way" mindset is why I think several of the legacy manufacturers will go bankrupt. Pivoting is culturally extremely difficult. Also meeting the insane expense of pivoting is not easy when your revenue source is sales & service of ICE vehicles, which are gradually being outlawed.

Here's an example of what I mean.
https://www.electrive.com/2021/11/04/works-council-conflict-at-vw-continues-to-escalate/
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Laconian

You asshole. I spent an evening lusting after EV6/Ioniq videos thinking "yeah, after I drive the Subie into the ground"... and now you show me this.

GoCougs

Wrong unfortunately, and inasmuch as I don't want to say racist, but yeah, pretty much implicitly, as I've been saying all along. What little environmental advantage that will benefit the West is simply debited against poor nations. This touches on the radical escalation needed for mining and refining of ever more materials to build the things to replace fossil fuel power generation, but recycling and post-processing is horror show too. If the hegemony continues, the strife of the Middle East and oil will replay itself in Africa and raw elemental mining.

Mining the Planet to Death The Dirty Truth About Clean. Technologies.

Recycling horror show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCoToorc9M&t=931s

r0tor

Waste is more of an issue of first world throwaway societies

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on November 07, 2021, 08:40:21 AM

We've off shored garbage before, we can do it again!
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 07, 2021, 09:25:27 AM
We've off shored garbage before, we can do it again!
By off-shoring, do you mean dumping it in the oceans?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on November 07, 2021, 08:40:21 AM

That is the nature of electronics however - they quickly become outclassed (from performance, to size, to price, to power usage) if not unusable.

There are pretty much no iDevices in recycling slums or garbage dumps - Apple, the aftermarket and the various cell carriers have a well-developed buyback/trade-in/recycling system. But then again, iDevices are 3-5x more expensive than competitors, so there's that.

If the West truly stepped up to the ambition of its environmentalism, the calculus on the whole affair changes drastically (i.e., shouldering the burden of environmentally and sociopolitical palatable mining, refining and recycling/recovery).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on November 07, 2021, 12:15:03 AM
You asshole. I spent an evening lusting after EV6/Ioniq videos thinking "yeah, after I drive the Subie into the ground"... and now you show me this.

Nothing wrong with waiting, IMO. Let them work out the bugs first. Most companies are on their first generation of EVs still.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 07, 2021, 10:27:49 AM
By off-shoring, do you mean dumping it in the oceans?

The US places that were big into recycling were supposedly sending it overseas for processing. I think China raised it wasn't cost effective and stopped. Not sure about other programs, but yes, ocean has always been one of the best dumping grounds!!!
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 12, 2021, 03:01:07 AM
The US places that were big into recycling were supposedly sending it overseas for processing. I think China raised it wasn't cost effective and stopped. Not sure about other programs, but yes, ocean has always been one of the best dumping grounds!!!
A company in Canada was sending supposed recycling materials to the Philippines for sorting.  They sent it back because it was full of dirty diapers nd other waste material.