NomisR

probably in the low 6 figure range.

CaminoRacer

I think I saw my first Model Y today
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 03, 2020, 09:38:19 AM
I think I saw my first Model Y today

I'm seeing a lot of them here now.. at first glance, they look like Model 3s.. but just bloated..

MrH

Lucid Air looks awesome.  Company is run by actual car guys too.

9.9 1/4 mile, 500+ mile range, going to be probably $200k+.  This is the direction Tesla should have gone.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

afty

9.9s 1/4-mile is pretty eye opening.  Here's the complete list of production cars that can run sub-10-second quarters:

Porsche 918 Spyder - 9.716 sec at 230 km/h (142.9 mph)
McLaren P1 - 9.8 sec at 239.6 km/h (148.9 mph)
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport - 9.9 sec at 239 km/h (148.5 mph)
McLaren 720S - 9.9 sec at 238.5 km/h (148.2 mph)
Bugatti Chiron - 9.99 sec at 242.5 km/h (150.7 mph)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration#By_1/4_mile_or_400_metre_times_(11_seconds_or_less)

CaminoRacer

I'm shocked that's it's topped the Taycan.

r0tor

EVs are a bit weird... There is little efficiency downside to building a 10s car.  Little in the way of additional complexity as well - the entire power train can be scaled....

But is there really a need to have an abundance of really expensive 10s family sedans?  Especially when you are carrying around a defined amount of energy storage that takes fairly long to recharge?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2020, 04:44:28 PM
EVs are a bit weird... There is little efficiency downside to building a 10s car.  Little in the way of additional complexity as well - the entire power train can be scaled....

But is there really a need to have an abundance of really expensive 10s family sedans?  Especially when you are carrying around a defined amount of energy storage that takes fairly long to recharge?

EVs with everything being modular, it should be really easy to scale things appropriately with different electric motors and software.  This would be more similar to assembling a computer than actually building a regular car.

AutobahnSHO

The more efficient the motors, traction, and battery pack for a drag strip run, the more efficient for regular driving, too.

At least more than gas motors mated to transmissions that have to balance efficiency and performance...
Will

afty

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2020, 04:44:28 PM

That's what I like about EVs.  Ridiculous performance with no compromise in efficiency or driveability.

Morris Minor

As things stand, because of the the crappy public charging infrastructure, the deal killer with EVs is that you are tied to a radius from your home of no more than half their real-world range on a full charge. For now they are very expensive local-run grocery getters. PHEVs are the way to go.
This does not apply to Teslas.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

2o6

The chinese government has really put a lot of energy into their home manufacturers to produce EV's, and they're rapidly becoming more and more competent.

Some of my favorites are the:

GAC Aion V (GAC makes some Honda and Toyota models in China, and they also sell their own brand as well)

The Aion V has nowhere from a 60 to 80 KW battery, and is FWD.

GAC Aion S is also sold as a Toyota iA5 in China, similar to the Aion V, but in a sedan form and has a smaller motor and option of a 50KW battery

GAC Aion LX is the topmost flagship model, coming with a 90KW battery, and two motors, front and rear

The Hozon Nezha U is also a pretty attractive looking thing

BYD has a new battery design that lowers the floor, allowing to make this flagship coupe/sedan = the BYD Han

The Baojun E300 is made by SAIC and GM, and it's one of my favorite designs out right now

Galaxy

That is strange. Mr Tesla, and Mr. VW.

afty

Quote from: MrH on September 03, 2020, 10:04:27 AM
Lucid Air looks awesome.  Company is run by actual car guys too.

9.9 1/4 mile, 500+ mile range, going to be probably $200k+.  This is the direction Tesla should have gone.
You were pretty close on the price prediction: "The Air will come in a series of variants, starting with the Dream, which is comparable to a performance configuration. The Dream Edition will cost $161,500 after federal tax credits."

https://www.teslarati.com/lucid-air-price/

Laconian

GM invested $2 in Nikola. Aren't they supposed to be a scammy vaporware company?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on September 08, 2020, 05:23:52 PM
GM invested $2 in Nikola. Aren't they supposed to be a scammy vaporware company?
I dunno what to think anymore with all these startups. It's like a rerun of exactly 100 years-ago: lots of now-forgotten manufacturers getting into the automobile business, quickly falling by the wayside as the big players took shape.

ChrisV

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 03, 2020, 07:54:42 PM
As things stand, because of the the crappy public charging infrastructure, the deal killer with EVs is that you are tied to a radius from your home of no more than half their real-world range on a full charge. For now they are very expensive local-run grocery getters. PHEVs are the way to go.
This does not apply to Teslas.

I've found that, living with the Bolt, that 300+ mile range is more than enough for LONG drives. I've spent 6 hours driving the car and got home with 1/4 range left. That's a day of running all over the Chesapeake Bay area, from rural southern PA all around to northern VA and rural southern MD. If your thinking that it's only useful for grocery getting in your immediate area, you're wrong.

I have a PHEV (the Volt) and the full BEV (the Bolt) and guess which one is the longer distance choice? The Bolt.

And since it was only $25k, it was not "very expensive," and fills the same role that a hot hatch would in my household.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

You have autofollow cruise control? Ah, my brother would kill for that. He bought his Bolt too early, I think.

He goes on big road trips in his Bolt very often. Lots of trips halfway across the state.

No complaints about the Bolt whatsoever, but he's bitter about how Leaf owners abuse their charge-for-free privileges by camping on chargers until their batteries are brought to 100.0%.

AutobahnSHO

Now that I have a garage, I would totally replace Impreza with a Bolt!! I wish there were an AWD version but oh well.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 09, 2020, 01:39:44 PM
Now that I have a garage, I would totally replace Impreza with a Bolt!! I wish there were an AWD version but oh well.

Guess what, you don't need AWD very often in Souf Caroliner
:lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on September 09, 2020, 01:16:28 PM
You have autofollow cruise control? Ah, my brother would kill for that. He bought his Bolt too early, I think.

Same. But I needed a car when I needed a car, so oh well.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 09, 2020, 02:06:32 PM
Guess what, you don't need AWD very often in Souf Caroliner
:lol:

Man, when it rains AWD just goes while everyone else is crawling being careful and junk.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: ChrisV on September 09, 2020, 06:32:30 AM
I've found that, living with the Bolt, that 300+ mile range is more than enough for LONG drives. I've spent 6 hours driving the car and got home with 1/4 range left. That's a day of running all over the Chesapeake Bay area, from rural southern PA all around to northern VA and rural southern MD. If your thinking that it's only useful for grocery getting in your immediate area, you're wrong.

I have a PHEV (the Volt) and the full BEV (the Bolt) and guess which one is the longer distance choice? The Bolt.

And since it was only $25k, it was not "very expensive," and fills the same role that a hot hatch would in my household.

Do you ever use public chargers? I've heard lots of stories about them not working, or being near permanently 100%-occupied. And I'm not yet persuaded on advertised ranges - 75 mph running cabin heat or a/c  pushes up depletion rates.

I don't have an EV, but would love to get one. Meanwhile I'm being an armchair sceptic. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 10, 2020, 07:24:20 AM
Do you ever use public chargers? I've heard lots of stories about them not working, or being near permanently 100%-occupied. And I'm not yet persuaded on advertised ranges - 75 mph running cabin heat or a/c  pushes up depletion rates.

I don't have an EV, but would love to get one. Meanwhile I'm being an armchair sceptic. :lol:

IME, you quickly learn which public chargers are good & which aren't. Same as learning which gas stations are good & which ones are sketchy. I think the 100% occupancy problem is generally limited to California. I'm an early adopter here in Utah so generally chargers aren't hard to find. And I haven't needed to use a public charger since I've finally got a garage to charge in - the Level 1 slow charger is plenty for our commutes (less than 40 miles/day)

MrH

Quote from: ChrisV on September 09, 2020, 06:32:30 AM

I wouldn't worry about any single day driving with 300 miles range.  My issue would be weekend trips.  Even something like going to Louisville for the weekend: It's 152 miles from my house.  I would likely need to charge there.  When I have the confidence I would have a charger at a hotel, I could see myself making the jump.  But if I have to rent a car every time I want to go away for a weekend, that's too big of an inconvenience for me.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

My husband keeps saying that if Subaru makes an AWD EV, he'd get it.

But does it really matter? Subaru's competitive advantage is a full-blooded AWD drivetrain that starts at having two output driveshafts. But AWD in an EVs just means wiring up more motors - not much fancy IP needed there, except for maybe motor control software?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on September 10, 2020, 10:27:20 AM
My husband keeps saying that if Subaru makes an AWD EV, he'd get it.

But does it really matter? Subaru's competitive advantage is a full-blooded AWD drivetrain that starts at having two output driveshafts. But AWD in an EVs just means wiring up more motors - not much fancy IP needed there, except for maybe motor control software?

I've told my brother that I will switch to Subaru (and use that employee pricing) once they come out with an EV.

You are right though, AWD becomes a software issue instead of hardware with EV's (at least that is my impression).

Laconian

I don't know how much knowledge can be transferred across domains from ICE to EV. As good as Subie's AWD is, the opportunities afforded by high bandwidth control over electric motors really necessitate a from-scratch reengineering effort.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on September 10, 2020, 09:47:15 AM
I wouldn't worry about any single day driving with 300 miles range.  My issue would be weekend trips.  Even something like going to Louisville for the weekend: It's 152 miles from my house.  I would likely need to charge there.  When I have the confidence I would have a charger at a hotel, I could see myself making the jump.  But if I have to rent a car every time I want to go away for a weekend, that's too big of an inconvenience for me.

Which is why I STRONGLY consider getting a Bolt- I have minivan for long trips, Miata for short/ fun trips or commuting, and Bolt would be a fantastic commuter/ errand car. I have garage to charge in though.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on September 10, 2020, 11:43:50 AM
I don't know how much knowledge can be transferred across domains from ICE to EV. As good as Subie's AWD is, the opportunities afforded by high bandwidth control over electric motors really necessitate a from-scratch reengineering effort.

Totally! Subaru's advantage has faded a LOT as everyone else has been doing AWD and EV will be a totally new ballgame.

Subaru "should" start with FWD-gas/ rear-EV hybrid setups?....   I mean I know they have a hybrid already but just seems like new ways of thinking should be employed. (I think the new Sienna will use that setup.)
Will