EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Laconian

That's the solution used by the Highlander and Prius hybrids, and it's pretty weak. Hybrid motors are generally lower voltage and therefore far weaker than full-blooded EV drivetrains. Nowhere near a 50/50 torque split, which is the bar Subaru sets for themselves.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quad motor tank turn - EV 4WD technology. This could be useful at the next red light... pivot round to confront the tailgater who's been bugging you for miles.
https://youtu.be/yzwM8KE2L3I
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

afty

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 10, 2020, 07:24:20 AM
Do you ever use public chargers? I've heard lots of stories about them not working, or being near permanently 100%-occupied. And I'm not yet persuaded on advertised ranges - 75 mph running cabin heat or a/c  pushes up depletion rates.
There's some truth to this. I've been to a fair number of public chargers that were broken and stay broken for months. Free chargers tend to be full all the time.

Some Tesla Supercharger locations are also full all the time, for example the one at the Target close to my house. I suspect they are mostly people who got free Supercharging when they bought their car.

Laconian

mzziaz

The Volt is a pretty good compromise.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

Quote from: mzziaz on September 13, 2020, 09:22:47 AM
The Volt is a pretty good compromise.

The rear head room is not very good. I wish they made a Volt with a Bolt body.

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2020, 12:09:23 PM
The rear head room is not very good. I wish they made a Volt with a Bolt body.

That was a big factor in my Bolt purchase. We were originally looking at 2016-2017 Volts.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

How much is the federal EV credit? Is that even a thing still? I though Bolt was cheaper but Chevy site says $38/42k.
Will

afty

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 13, 2020, 05:23:00 PM
How much is the federal EV credit? Is that even a thing still? I though Bolt was cheaper but Chevy site says $38/42k.
It phases out once a company has sold a certain number of EVs. GM and Tesla are done. There may be state credits that still apply though.

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 13, 2020, 05:23:00 PM

GM is offering huge cash incentives on the Bolt though.  Something like $8500 back or $4750 and 0% financing for 6 years. 

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on September 13, 2020, 07:27:39 PM
GM is offering huge cash incentives on the Bolt though.  Something like $8500 back or $4750 and 0% financing for 6 years. 

From GM, not the government? WHyyyy? It's such a nice car, it should be selling better!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2020, 07:36:28 PM
From GM, not the government? WHyyyy? It's such a nice car, it should be selling better!

So it's competitive with other EVs that still get government invcentives.

veeman

I think the appeal of Tesla has as much to do with the computer interface, constant updates, autodrive, and fandom that GM nor anyone else has. 

veeman

I wonder if GM is actually selling each one at a slight loss. 

2o6

Bolt MK1 is nearly dead, the Bolt EUV is already released in China as a Buick, went on sale a few weeks ago. The Chevy version should be here in a couple months.

GM needs to make a different form factor for the Bolt; that B-segment hatchack look isn't helping.

afty

If the Bolt were wider it would look much more appealing. Also, why isn't it RWD? It's not like they have to run a driveshaft.

On reflection, what I'm asking for is basically a VW ID.3.

2o6

most drivers give fuck all about drive wheels, and the packaging for the Bolt won't allow for RWD.

This car should have been designed from the ground up to be a C/D segment sedan or hatchback. This B-segment style hatchback is not doing it any favors at all.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on September 14, 2020, 12:09:53 AM
most drivers give fuck all about drive wheels, and the packaging for the Bolt won't allow for RWD.

This car should have been designed from the ground up to be a C/D segment sedan or hatchback. This B-segment style hatchback is not doing it any favors at all.

True. I'm one of the rare weirdos that wants that. :lol:

They "should be" marketing it like crazy as a grown-up Prius competitor. More space! More eco-friendly!
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on September 13, 2020, 08:11:52 PM
I wonder if GM is actually selling each one at a slight loss. 

I think they are. It's an R&D expense. I don't think they market it because they don't want to sell more than already are. Their Korean design team works on it and develops the technology. They're coming out with the EV Hummer and GMC truck in a couple of years, and that's what they will market & make money on.

ChrisV

Quote from: 2o6 on September 14, 2020, 12:09:53 AM

But as a hot hatch, it's about perfect for many of us, and at $25-26k actual transaction prices, compares favorably with the GTi, Focus ST, Veloster N and Mini Cooper S. I love the form factor and it's a hoot to drive, with 200 hp and 265 lb ft of torque and a real world range of over 300 miles.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SJ_GTI

Not sure if I've seen your bolt before, but I love that color.

afty

SJ_GTI

Quote from: afty on September 17, 2020, 02:00:34 PM
Apparently there are some killer deals on the Bolt right now: https://jalopnik.com/you-can-get-a-bonkers-deal-on-a-chevy-bolt-right-now-1845082072

Huh, I had no idea EV's in NJ are excluded from Sales Tax. That alone is a pretty nice incentive.

CaminoRacer

EV prices drive me crazy. Every month I hear about 1 guy in some random state who gets a brand new EV for practically nothing. Except the way they do it is completely based on state & local incentives and finding a dealer who will give them a few grand off as well. It's not possible for 99% of customers to get the same deal.

r0tor

There are some bonkers deals on slightly used bmw i3s
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2020, 05:14:23 PM
There are some bonkers deals on slightly used bmw i3s

The car is funky and clever, but with such a piddly range, it'll never be desirable to me. :\

ChrisV

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 17, 2020, 02:47:21 PM
EV prices drive me crazy. Every month I hear about 1 guy in some random state who gets a brand new EV for practically nothing. Except the way they do it is completely based on state & local incentives and finding a dealer who will give them a few grand off as well. It's not possible for 99% of customers to get the same deal.

For the Bolt, since February you've been able to get $8500 off right from GM, with an additional $2-4k off from most dealers. The dealer near me was/is selling them starting at $23k with no hoops to jump thorugh and they sell a LOT to out of state buyers (who get the same price): https://www.sportchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV

They have 39 on hand right now, but the inventory changes rapidly.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

CaminoRacer

Quote from: ChrisV on September 18, 2020, 11:40:31 AM
For the Bolt, since February you've been able to get $8500 off right from GM, with an additional $2-4k off from most dealers. The dealer near me was/is selling them starting at $23k with no hoops to jump thorugh and they sell a LOT to out of state buyers (who get the same price): https://www.sportchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV

They have 39 on hand right now, but the inventory changes rapidly.

Within 500 miles of me, there are none cheaper than $29k after the $8500 discount.

MrH

Wow.  Those deals are wild.  So wild I'm sitting here doing math...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV