EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 04, 2018, 09:37:55 AM
Well, that method was tried with the first hybrids; and it fell flat. The Prius was the first real success in that segment and it was intentionally "spacy."

Fair point. But look at Tezlas.  They're normal, good-looking cars.  I mean, they have the whole Tezla Hype to go along with them which helps sales, but.

Laconian

The Bolt doesn't look that weird IMO. There are stranger ICE cars out there like the Civic or the Spark.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 04, 2018, 09:37:55 AM
Well, that method was tried with the first hybrids; and it fell flat. The Prius was the first real success in that segment and it was intentionally "spacy."

What other hybrid cars were available in the United States before the Prius? The Prius and the Insight are the first real offerings that I can think of and the Insight was weirder than the Prius.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on December 04, 2018, 11:02:35 AM
The Bolt doesn't look that weird IMO. There are stranger ICE cars out there like the Civic or the Spark.

I agree, but the overall shape is that of an econobox, not a sports sedan. I think that's more what everyone is talking about here.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: RomanChariot on December 04, 2018, 11:04:48 AM
What other hybrid cars were available in the United States before the Prius? The Prius and the Insight are the first real offerings that I can think of and the Insight was weirder than the Prius.

The first gen Prius looked like an Echo.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

I feel like the Bolt is a City-car style mono space because GM had more intention of selling in Europe and Asia, realized that Europe was a waste of time, then by that point the car was too far along in development.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 04, 2018, 11:05:43 AM
I agree, but the overall shape is that of an econobox, not a sports sedan. I think that's more what everyone is talking about here.
I think they were trying to make it look like a crossover. Thing is you gotta go full crossover or leave it alone. Bolt is like a preemie crossover.

The EVs people want that hold their value look good. Tesla would have been DOA if the Model S was not good looking.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 04, 2018, 11:27:57 AM
The first gen Prius looked like an Echo.

Which was a dorky looking car in its own right. Tall and narrow sitting atop tiny looking wheels.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: RomanChariot on December 04, 2018, 12:23:17 PM
Which was a dorky looking car in its own right. Tall and narrow sitting atop tiny looking wheels.

But visually the same as an Echo; only after it mare itself different did it really take off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 04, 2018, 11:53:33 AM
I think they were trying to make it look like a crossover. Thing is you gotta go full crossover or leave it alone. Bolt is like a preemie crossover.

What? No. It's the same shape and similar exterior dimensions to the Fit and Versa.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 04, 2018, 12:24:38 PM
But visually the same as an Echo; only after it mare itself different did it really take off.

Yes but a big part of that was that it was moved up to a larger size that made it more appropriate as a family vehicle. The 1st generation Prius and Insight were too small to be anything more than a second car.

Morris Minor

And the Kona Electric's fraternal twin: Kia e-Niro.
https://youtu.be/AR5sDwF5aBM
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

NomisR

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 04, 2018, 11:53:33 AM

The EVs people want that hold their value look good. Tesla would have been DOA if the Model S was not good looking.

It's trying to appeal to the general public that was turned off by the typical EV car, but unfortunately, at the price point, when you consider the cost cutting quality in the car, it doesn't work for normal crowds.  And because it doesn't have the "look at me, I drive green" appeal, it doesn't attract that many typical Prius crowd.  And of course because of the meh exterior, it doesn't attract the car enthusiast crowd. 

12,000 RPM

I mean, regular cars that look like the Bolt but cost half what the Bolt does are having trouble selling. Whatever. Looks aside I am sure the Bolt is excellent and even worth the price. But after the G I can't do ugly cars.

r0tor

The Bolt is a $40k econobox... Just makes no sense.

Does attractive designed sheet metal really cost more then ugly designed sheet metal?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Head of Product Strategy at VW Group Michael Jost just dropped a bombshell. In 2026 the last development projects based on combustion engines will be started. They expect to sell the last cars with a combustion engine in 2040.

No english sources yet.

12,000 RPM

Smells like a stock market fanfic to me. Has VWAG sold 1 EV yet???

On the upside, at least they aren't making as crazy of a bet on autonomy. "2026 is the last year we will develop cars with steering wheels" :lol:

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 04, 2018, 08:02:06 PM
Smells like a stock market fanfic to me. Has VWAG sold 1 EV yet???

On the upside, at least they aren't making as crazy of a bet on autonomy. "2026 is the last year we will develop cars with steering wheels" :lol:

They are not really traded on the stock exchange in any big quantity.

Currently the e-Golf, and the e-Up!.

giant_mtb

While it seems ridiculous to have such far-ahead predictions, those numbers don't seem terribly far off/unfeasible. 

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 04, 2018, 08:40:03 PM
While it seems ridiculous to have such far-ahead predictions, those numbers don't seem terribly far off/unfeasible. 

It is not really that far ahead. 2026 is a little more then one development cycle. Also there are some far reaching decisions that have to be made. For example the factories in Hannover, and Emden during their next refit cycle, will be retooled for electrical production. Also there is the problem with regards to battery cells. VW estimates that in 2025 150 GWh in battery capacity, currently in Europe there exists production capacities for 20GWh. They are assuming that they will need to make their own cells, rather then just being able ti buy them.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 04, 2018, 08:40:03 PM

Except for the facts that at present, most people can't afford EVs and no automaker can make money selling them...

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 04, 2018, 09:59:10 PM
Except for the facts that at present, most people can't afford EVs and no automaker can make money selling them...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on December 04, 2018, 09:59:10 PM
Most people can't afford new cars at all, and plenty of manufacturers are making money selling EVs.

Morris Minor

I think a great low-cost bridge to EVs and and full green credentials is via a used hybrid. Second-hand Prii are reliable and don't cost an arm & a leg.

r0tor

Probably in 15-20 years from now "range anxiety" will belong to gas powered automobile owners as gas stations start to close

-mind blown-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

They'll need to significantly upgrade California's enviro wacko strangled, expensive electrical delivery systems to make EV's viable here. No way could they ever hope to power even half the cars in the state.  :hammerhead: 

12,000 RPM

Yea I will also believe it when I see it. Plus the Chinese govt may only allow those batteries to be installed in Chinese cars... yuck. NEXT lol.

Morris Minor

One thing, touched on in the Kona Electric review, was questioning the wisdom of putting the charge port just above the front bumper - a vulnerable location. I know they do this on many EVs, e.g. Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, but a relatively light bumper thumper could easily put your car on the disabled list.