All-New 2019 Mazda3 Looks Sleek Inside And Out In Best Photos Yet

Started by cawimmer430, November 13, 2018, 05:16:48 PM

Payman

Quote from: Onslaught on November 30, 2018, 01:52:51 PM
Shit I'd love for them to make an MX-3 or MX-6 out of the 6 and 3. It won't happen however.

I saw an MX-3 GS today, first one in years. Made me miss my old car.

I had a '92 Nissan NX2000. I haven't seen another in 20 years.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on November 30, 2018, 01:47:56 PM
Honestly, how many of you are doing over the shoulder checks anymore?

In the 4Runner - every time
S2000 - everytime, but the top is always down so I can see everything
Accord - never.  Blind spot monitoring is great.  Once you get used to the lights, you just trust those more than a quick head check.

Motorcycles don't always show up.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

The 3 has a HUD which displays blindspot detector warnings.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on November 30, 2018, 01:51:24 PM
Anyways, it's the B pillar that creates blindspots, not the C. Partly why I prefer the longer doors of a coupe.

I do not agree with that lol

I can't see shit on the right side if the passenger-side rear seat headrest is up in the Explorer because it blocks 100% of the cargo window on that side.

But I also adjust my side mirrors way wider than most people. Moves the blind spot a bit further back, but also makes it waaaaay smaller.

Laconian

Do you guys know the trick to adjust your side mirrors to eliminate blind spots?

Put your left cheek to the driver mirror and move the driver's side mirror until you just barely see your car's sheet metal.
Move your head to the middle of the car, and again, move the passenger window until you barely see the sheet metal.

Voila, no blind spots.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on November 30, 2018, 03:04:04 PM
Do you guys know the trick to adjust your side mirrors to eliminate blind spots?

Put your left cheek to the driver mirror and move the driver's side mirror until you just barely see your car's sheet metal.
Move your head to the middle of the car, and again, move the passenger window until you barely see the sheet metal.

Voila, no blind spots.

pfff

FoMoJo

Voila, no blind spots.
I'm a little confused.  Put your left cheek to the driver mirror? :confused:  I don't think I could do that without being outside of the car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 30, 2018, 03:16:36 PM
I'm a little confused.  Put your left cheek to the driver mirror? :confused:  I don't think I could do that without being outside of the car.

I believe he meant driverside window.

BimmerM3

Voila, no blind spots.

That's effectively what I do, but I was taught to do it by staying in your normal driving position (other than rotating your head, just no leaning) and adjusting your side mirrors so that there's no (or only a tiny) overlap between the rear view mirror and each side view mirror. When I do that, it leaves a tiny blind spot (that maybe a motorcycle could fit in, but very few if any cars), but I can lean like you're describing to see it if I need to.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Laconian

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 30, 2018, 01:40:03 PM
The roll down part of the rear side glass is almost identical. The gripes would be about the rear fixed quarter windows, and the previous car had a black plastic fillet that covered the back part of it.

That's not what he's talking about.  Look at the quarter panel sheetmetal above the rear wheel.  On the generation 2 and 3 cars, there's a crease/ridge in the metal that visually separates the top of the fender from the base of the C pillar, creating a sort of "shoulder".  That's what the gen 4 car needs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on November 30, 2018, 01:51:24 PM
Anyways, it's the B pillar that creates blindspots, not the C. Partly why I prefer the longer doors of a coupe.
Coupes can have terrible blind spots too. I used to make my wife guide me to parallel park the Z. And I used to parallel park damn near daily in NYC.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Completely unsurprising... No t Mazdaspeed version... Or rotary couple for that matter.  Mazda as we know it is dead.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/03/mazda3-mazdaspeed-mps-hot-hatch/
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Looks good to me. Maybe a bit flat, but not offensive.

Charlie's 2nd pic (?) with the rear triangle window extended down does look better. The "kink" continued on from the 2018 model, but it probably shouldn't have.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2018, 05:18:37 PM
Completely unsurprising... Not Mazdaspeed version... Or rotary couple for that matter.  Mazda as we know it is dead.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/03/mazda3-mazdaspeed-mps-hot-hatch/

Mazda lost it's sugar daddy when Ford dumped them.  They're too small to go whole hog into niche segments like hot hatches.  Not when the market wants EVs, PHEVs, and automation (technologies Mazda doesn't have and doubtfully has the money to develop).  We should count our lucky stars they are still making the Miata (and that is likely only because Fiat went in as partners on a roadster).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Are hot hatches niche? IIRC the GTI outsells the regular Golf in the US. Hyundai/Kia just launched 1 hot hatch and 2 warm sedans. Honda brought back the CTR. There's the Golf R. For all Mazda's talk of driving, and the money they just spent developing that 2.5T, seems like a slam dunk. They have to get every bit of volume they can grab.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 04, 2018, 05:06:43 AM
Are hot hatches niche? IIRC the GTI outsells the regular Golf in the US. Hyundai/Kia just launched 1 hot hatch and 2 warm sedans. Honda brought back the CTR. There's the Golf R. For all Mazda's talk of driving, and the money they just spent developing that 2.5T, seems like a slam dunk. They have to get every bit of volume they can grab.

Which sells more worldwide: regular Golf or GTI?  And by what margin?  Also bear in mind that, like the Mustang, the GTI was segment-defining.  It can endure downturns in the segment that other, less-storied competitors cannot (hence why the Mustang is the only pony car to last 50+ years of continuous production while competitors have come and gone, and in some cases come back again).

Ford canned their hot hatches.  So did GM (a long time ago).  Subaru stopped selling a WRX hatch.  It's not just hatches.  Hot econocars in general are dwindling, especially in North America.  Ford, GM, Chrysler/Dodge, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and Mazda have all bailed on the segment within the past decade.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on December 04, 2018, 06:34:19 AM
Which sells more worldwide: regular Golf or GTI?  And by what margin?  Also bear in mind that, like the Mustang, the GTI was segment-defining.  It can endure downturns in the segment that other, less-storied competitors cannot (hence why the Mustang is the only pony car to last 50+ years of continuous production while competitors have come and gone, and in some cases come back again).

Ford canned their hot hatches.  So did GM (a long time ago).  Subaru stopped selling a WRX hatch.  It's not just hatches.  Hot econocars in general are dwindling, especially in North America.  Ford, GM, Chrysler/Dodge, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and Mazda have all bailed on the segment within the past decade.
Ford is no longer making their ST and RS models?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 04, 2018, 08:16:07 AM
Ford is no longer making their ST and RS models?
They're not bringing them to the US... for now.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 04, 2018, 05:06:43 AM

If Mazda dumps that 2.5 in a branded MPS 3 people will complain.  That is not a performance engine and from all the reviews I've read of it in the 6 its just kinda "eh".  Mazda definitely tested out this engine in the 3 at some point and was probably bored to tears and decided against it.  Mazda is very conservative about where its spending its resources and a performance engine that it can't dump in every application is probably not in the cards.  We should be thankful they updated the Miata's 2.0 but that car is literally the soul of Mazda so its a very special case. 

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 04, 2018, 08:45:12 AM
They're not bringing them to the US... for now.

I'm fairly certain they've shelved the RS world-wide.  Not sure what the status on the ST models in Europe is.
Needs more Jiggawatts

r0tor

As I have been pointing out, Mazda is no longer worried about being sporty and as the 3 is showing are spending money usually spent on performance/suspension on perceived quality items.  It's no longer the "zoom-zoom" company (I think they killed that a year or two ago).

QuoteMarumoto stated that Mazda would rather establish itself as a genuine premium carmaker comparable to its European rivals, stressing that this would be achievable through quality, comfort and refinement improvements in the existing lineup rather than expanding into other segments.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on December 04, 2018, 10:12:20 AM
I'm fairly certain they've shelved the RS world-wide.  Not sure what the status on the ST models in Europe is.
As older article, but it seems that they plan to, gradually, electrify it...https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2020-ford-focus-rs-have-400bhp-425lb-ft-mild-hybrid-powertrain

r0tor