Infiniti Quietly Axes Q70 Luxury Sedan

Started by cawimmer430, October 26, 2019, 11:47:00 AM

cawimmer430

Infiniti Quietly Axes Q70 Luxury Sedan

The long-running Infiniti Q70 luxury sedan won't return for the 2020 model year, the automaker confirmed to Motor Authority on Thursday.

The Q70 was one of the few full-size luxury sedans still available outside of the German-automaker orbit—Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7-Series, Audi A8—although sales in recent years flagged.

Infiniti pulled the plug from the hybrid version for the 2019 model (pun intended), and this year the Q70 is gone completely.

Sales of the Infiniti Q70 flagged recently, with the automaker reporting just 2,196 sales for the first nine months of 2019, down from 3,476 from the same time period a year ago. This year, the Q70 was offered in rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations with a 5.6-liter V-8 or 3.0-liter V-6 and short- or long-wheelbase body styles.

Like many other full-size luxury sedans, sales have slowed significantly as buyers have shifted toward bigger, taller, SUV luxury flagships. Comparatively, the full-size Infiniti QX80—which uses the same 5.6-liter V-8—has sold 14,203 units through the same 9-month period in 2019—up from 13,377 in the same time period last year.

The Infiniti Q70 traces its roots back to the late 1980s, to the Infiniti Q45, which was a V-8-powered, rear-drive sedan. It was replaced in the U.S. by the Infiniti M37 and M45, later the M56, before it was renamed the Q70.

The Q70 was offered in short- and long-wheelbase body styles, rear- or all-wheel drive, with V-6 or V-8 power during its lifetime.

Infiniti hasn't yet named a successor to the Q70 but has previewed electrified vehicles that could take its place—or cede to a crossover flagship.

Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore said in a statement that the automaker would, "continue to focus on consumer demand with a line of sport utility vehicles, while also remaining committed to the passenger car market with the Q50 sports sedan and Q60 sports coupe."

Link: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1125698_infiniti-quietly-axes-q70-luxury-sedan
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

That an ancient car doesn't sell well should come as no surprise.  In it's current form, it has been produced for 9 model years (2011 to present).  And the current model is basically a heavy refresh of the 2006-2010 model, so its bones are really 19 years old.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

They need to bring back the FX with the 3.0TT and relevant tech. The QX60 needs an update too but I get the sense that it's still "selling" very well (aka getting pumped to fleets)

Nissan in general needs a huge update
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

CaminoRacer

What did the Q70 used to be called? I don't have a clue what it is.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2019, 03:23:39 PM
What did the Q70 used to be called? I don't have a clue what it is.

It was formerly the M-series.

But you bring up another good point as to why Infiniti is languishing.  Nobody knows what the hell any of their vehicles are because the made everything a "Q-something".
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Marketers get paid millions to make nomenclature more confusing.
Marketers get paid millions to make nomenclature less confusing.

It's a scam to keep bullshit artists employed and rich.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on October 26, 2019, 03:36:56 PM
It was formerly the M-series.

But you bring up another good point as to why Infiniti is languishing.  Nobody knows what the hell any of their vehicles are because the made everything a "Q-something".
Meh, no more confusing than BMW's endless suffixes or Mercedes' changing series and arbitrary numbering. Infiniti is languishing because its product is ancient and its brand isn't strong.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 26, 2019, 08:44:29 PM
Meh, no more confusing than BMW's endless suffixes or Mercedes' changing series and arbitrary numbering. Infiniti is languishing because its product is ancient and its brand isn't strong.

Right, the brand isn't strong enough for people to bother following the cryptic naming scheme.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

I saw an Infiniti something the other day at the grocery store that really caught my eye.

However, I have no idea what Q# it was because none of it makes any fucking sense.

(but really, it was like...whatever the G37 coupe became, I think)

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 26, 2019, 09:05:17 PM
I saw an Infiniti something the other day at the grocery store that really caught my eye.

However, I have no idea what Q# it was because none of it makes any fucking sense.

Yeah I know what you mean

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 26, 2019, 09:05:17 PM

The Q60 (their only coupe)

It is a stunner. Best looking coupe in the segment, especially in purple

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 27, 2019, 06:08:29 AM
The Q60 (their only coupe)

It is a stunner. Best looking coupe in the segment, especially in purple

Yeah, it really looks fantastic.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

GoCougs

The Japanese luxury brands by and large can't compete - sure, they have hits every once in a while - Acura NSX and Legend, Lexus LS400, Infiniti G35, Nissan GT-R, etc., but they just can't sustain. To be fair, they're vastly smaller companies than the German brands. But really, there's absolutely no excuse for the IS350 having the same motor for 15 years, and Acura still rocking the J-series, which is even older. Jesus.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on October 27, 2019, 01:18:05 PM
The Japanese luxury brands by and large can't compete - sure, they have hits every once in a while - Acura NSX and Legend, Lexus LS400, Infiniti G35, Nissan GT-R, etc., but they just can't sustain. To be fair, they're vastly smaller companies than the German brands. But really, there's absolutely no excuse for the IS350 having the same motor for 15 years, and Acura still rocking the J-series, which is even older. Jesus.

I think part of the "problem" is that what plays well in the mainstream segment doesn't play in the premium and niche segments.  People buying mainstreamers like Accords, Camries, Civics and Corollas want value and reliability.  They don't care that the engine is from 12 years ago as long as it's reliable, efficient, and provides adequate acceleration.  So we've seen a steady march of incremental improvement in those cars, adopting technologies only once it's mature.  People buying luxury vehicles want the latest and greatest.  That means you can't play it too safe.  That the last vehicle to offer a cassette deck was from Lexus is very telling of how badly they are out of touch.

On the flip side, the Germans' willingness to adopt technologies and features that aren't quite fully baked results in abysmal resale and horrendous long-term reliability.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on October 27, 2019, 01:53:42 PM
I think part of the "problem" is that what plays well in the mainstream segment doesn't play in the premium and niche segments.  People buying mainstreamers like Accords, Camries, Civics and Corollas want value and reliability.  They don't care that the engine is from 12 years ago as long as it's reliable, efficient, and provides adequate acceleration.  So we've seen a steady march of incremental improvement in those cars, adopting technologies only once it's mature.  People buying luxury vehicles want the latest and greatest.  That means you can't play it too safe.  That the last vehicle to offer a cassette deck was from Lexus is very telling of how badly they are out of touch.

On the flip side, the Germans' willingness to adopt technologies and features that aren't quite fully baked results in abysmal resale and horrendous long-term reliability.

+1

GoCougs

There's no technology ze Germans adopt that isn't fully baked; i.e., there's no excuse other than customers accept it (so of course, why change?).

Luxury buyers are buying (er, leasing) the badge, and faux luxury like shiny black plastic in the interior. It's all a ginormous scam.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on October 27, 2019, 07:43:37 PM
There's no technology ze Germans adopt that isn't fully baked; i.e., there's no excuse other than customers accept it (so of course, why change?).

Luxury buyers are buying (er, leasing) the badge, and faux luxury like shiny black plastic in the interior. It's all a ginormous scam.

I guess that's why so many Mercs with complicated air suspension systems are plagued with problems.  Or the HPFP in the DI Turbo BMWs were trouble-prone.  Or their terrible infotainment systems (iDrive was maligned for like a decade).
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on October 27, 2019, 07:49:24 PM
I guess that's why so many Mercs with complicated air suspension systems are plagued with problems.  Or the HPFP in the DI Turbo BMWs were trouble-prone.  Or their terrible infotainment systems (iDrive was maligned for like a decade).

All that tech was baked by the time it found its way into a car. That ze Germans screw it up consistently is on them, not the tech.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on October 27, 2019, 01:18:05 PM
If it ain't broke, why fix it?  :huh:

I'd rather have to get my timing belt changed every 60K miles than have an unreliable POS.

Plus weren't you the guy who exalted the ancient Japanese V6 superiority over the new German 2.0T? Why the flip flop? You actually made a decent point for once.

veeman

Infiniti is no longer in Europe I think and I wouldn't be surprised if they fold in the US within the next decade.

https://jalopnik.com/infiniti-is-getting-absolutely-creamed-1838822316

They had real brands model recognition several years ago.  The G was a BMW 3 series at a cheaper price which looked cool.  The age FX SUV looked like a Porsche coupe on steroids and sold well.  The JX was a Lexus RX only with a useable 3rd row perfect for kids.  Then they made the most asinine move and changed their naming scheme and they've slowly dying ever since.  It's obviously more than just the Q/QX naming.  Their infotainment sucks and they're no longer a great "value" in the luxury market.  They're not cheap and they're warranty isn't that great either.

Kind of expected though knowing their parent company is Nissan. 

Submariner

Which is interesting, because Japanese brands used to be early tech adopters...adaptive cruise, computer controlled active suspension, sat nav, HiD's, etc all saw early applications on Japanese cars (especially JDM cars...America got cars like the 3000GT but not the Soarer - the SC300/400 - which had a good deal of future tech options)

12,000 RPM

I am fanboying but I think Infiniti has an easier path forward than a lot of other luxury brands in trouble.

They have the dealer network. They have the platforms. They have some level of brand recognition. There's just a couple of things they need to do-

- Pull a 2007-2017 Camry move and just make big sheetmetal/interior changes on the same bones
- Update the infotainment
- Ditch the damn CVTs wherever possible
- *Bonus move* lean into electrification in a practical way (hybrids)

Even if they make the best product- and it could be argued that they did for some years- they will never get the brand respect they deserve. People would rather pay more for mediocre German cars than excellent Japanese ones. So they might as well phone it in, just in a more convincing and customer focused way. That's much easier to figure out and do than say whatever Jaguar or Mazda or Genesis need to do. No new platforms, no dealership expansions.... just the small updates they should have been making already

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on October 28, 2019, 08:57:42 AM
Which is interesting, because Japanese brands used to be early tech adopters...adaptive cruise, computer controlled active suspension, sat nav, HiD's, etc all saw early applications on Japanese cars (especially JDM cars...America got cars like the 3000GT but not the Soarer - the SC300/400 - which had a good deal of future tech options)
That was the glorious bubble era. That decade basically cost them their future :(

Submariner

From the link:

"We announced in August that a new QX55 sport utility coupe will arrive next summer"

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 28, 2019, 08:59:52 AM
I am fanboying but I think Infiniti has an easier path forward than a lot of other luxury brands in trouble.

They have the dealer network. They have the platforms. They have some level of brand recognition. There's just a couple of things they need to do-

- Pull a 2007-2017 Camry move and just make big sheetmetal/interior changes on the same bones
- Update the infotainment
- Ditch the damn CVTs wherever possible
- *Bonus move* lean into electrification in a practical way (hybrids)

Even if they make the best product- and it could be argued that they did for some years- they will never get the brand respect they deserve. People would rather pay more for mediocre German cars than excellent Japanese ones. So they might as well phone it in, just in a more convincing and customer focused way. That's much easier to figure out and do than say whatever Jaguar or Mazda or Genesis need to do. No new platforms, no dealership expansions.... just the small updates they should have been making already

Nissan seems to be lacking resources to keep their cars/brands updated.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on October 28, 2019, 09:04:44 AM
From the link:

"We announced in August that a new QX55 sport utility coupe will arrive next summer"

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Never buy the first year of a new model. I'll wait for the QQXX555Q55XVQQQQ5.55.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 28, 2019, 09:29:41 AM
Nissan seems to be lacking resources to keep their cars/brands updated.
Well, to put it mildly, they are facing some headwinds.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 28, 2019, 09:00:48 AM
That was the glorious bubble era. That decade basically cost them their future :(

The Japanese economic troubles of the mid to late 90s, which contributed to the demise of their halo cars, definitely shifted their business model to the conservative end of the spectrum.
Needs more Jiggawatts