Ford Bronco first look!

Started by Payman, July 13, 2020, 07:52:59 PM

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 10:27:38 AM
The GX?

Yeah, i'm so unfamiliar with this that I'm not sure where I would start.. i guess chopping off a good portion of the front bumper and taking off the step rails would be a good start, but i don't think she would like any of that.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 10:32:51 AM
FWIW, I considered for a time, converting the landcruiser to part time, as it would make it better for towing. It wasn't hard, the center diff gets replaced with a spool and the diff lock button becomes the front axle engage button.

I decided it wasn't worth it on a car with almost 200,000 miles.

Would there be any other benefit?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on April 18, 2022, 10:42:10 AM
Yeah, i'm so unfamiliar with this that I'm not sure where I would start.. i guess chopping off a good portion of the front bumper and taking off the step rails would be a good start, but i don't think she would like any of that.

I would think it would help mileage overall, but how much seems to be a point of debate.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: r0tor on April 18, 2022, 07:20:45 AM
What rover are you talking about?

The full size Range Rover.  The big one.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 09:37:43 AM
I saw this; and the review is crap. He doesn't try to explain the differences between toyota's crawl control and Ford's: says Toyota's is better, but completely fails to acknowledge that the Ford system has two different settings for traction control on it and he has the TC turned off- Toyota turns both on with the same button.

He gives credit to the Bronco for the sway bar disconnect; but the Toyota doesn't have KDSS, which is an option, and does the same thing, automatically.

He then says the Toyota won't pull the Bronco out- but he literally drove the truck into a stump and refused to go around it.

I mean, its a crap review for both vehicles.

Most YT videos with someone making an idiotic pose in the thumbnail are crap.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on April 18, 2022, 11:02:35 AM

You mean the one they call "Range Rover?"
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on April 18, 2022, 10:42:10 AM

There is a pretty active GX modding scene.  Most of it involves coil lifts, tires, lighting, winches and new bumpers.

Not sure if swapping in a part time T case is common.  I've never seen that on any of the 100's of lifted land cruisers that make their way into BaT.  The GX is much less common but I can't see that being a mod many people do.

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 11:09:12 AM
You mean the one they call "Range Rover?"

Yup.  Thing is a lot of people call any Land Rover a Range Rover. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: Submariner on April 18, 2022, 11:02:35 AM
One of the better looking full size SUVs.  See quite a few of them around here.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on April 18, 2022, 11:36:41 AM
There is a pretty active GX modding scene.  Most of it involves coil lifts, tires, lighting, winches and new bumpers.

Not sure if swapping in a part time T case is common.  I've never seen that on any of the 100's of lifted land cruisers that make their way into BaT.  The GX is much less common but I can't see that being a mod many people do.

Its not uncommon in Australia. You don't actually swap the transfer case, you just remove the center diff. then, the stock diff lock button acts as a switch to turn the front axle on and off.

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 11:53:45 AM
Its not uncommon in Australia. You don't actually swap the transfer case, you just remove the center diff. then, the stock diff lock button acts as a switch to turn the front axle on and off.

Hmm...interesting.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on April 18, 2022, 11:55:00 AM
Hmm...interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_rKOZCl4rM

I considered it mainly because towing, on pavement, in 4WD, does some weird things; especially it causes torque steer at when accelerating, and when pulling around tighter turns.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 10:49:34 AM
I would think it would help mileage overall, but how much seems to be a point of debate.

I'll probably skip this one since we're not towing any time soon.

NomisR

Quote from: Submariner on April 18, 2022, 11:36:41 AM

Based on what I can find, there's modding for suspension and everything else, even the electronic one to add a full screen to the center console and even surround cameras, but i haven't seen anyone do a transfer case mod.  I am interested in doing a surround camera mod though and I would like to upgrade the camera to something decent if possible since the Toyota cameras are absolute garbage.  And also add crawl/mts function to the car but they haven't found the part numbers for the 2022s yet.

r0tor

The part time 4WD was the least reliable thing on my father's 4Runner.  He normally drove in 2WD and practically everytime he went to 4WD the transfer case actuator would get seized up
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 18, 2022, 02:32:13 PM
The part time 4WD was the least reliable thing on my father's 4Runner.  He normally drove in 2WD and practically everytime he went to 4WD the transfer case actuator would get seized up

I see almost no occurrence of that in warranty reports or even anecdotes about it, from any generation of 4runner. I have to assume your dad's was a unicorn of sorts.

veeman

I think part, or a lot, of the pent up demand in the U.S. for the new Ford Bronco is that it's a legit off-road worthy super cool looking "American" branded car (namely a GM, Ford, Dodge, etc) to go against the American branded Jeep Wrangler.

If Toyota had made a new FJ Cruiser or Nissan had made a new Pathfinder that were this cool looking and off-road worthy I doubt they would be this sought after. 

I think this is also the reason why the Escalade is so successful.  Big, brash, and "American".  It's also why the Tundra and Titan pickups don't sell that well. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on April 18, 2022, 03:07:33 PM
I think part, or a lot, of the pent up demand in the U.S. for the new Ford Bronco is that it's a legit off-road worthy super cool looking "American" branded car (namely a GM, Ford, Dodge, etc) to go against the American branded Jeep Wrangler.

If Toyota had made a new FJ Cruiser or Nissan had made a new Pathfinder that were this cool looking and off-road worthy I doubt they would be this sought after. 

I think this is also the reason why the Escalade is so successful.  Big, brash, and "American".  It's also why the Tundra and Titan pickups don't sell that well. 

For sure there's a big nostalgia factor with these; but the pent-up demand applies to everything.

NomisR

Quote from: veeman on April 18, 2022, 03:07:33 PM

I think a new FJ cruiser would make a lot of sense.  For whatever reason, I'm seeing a lot of FJ Cruisers popped up in my area.

Soup DeVille

To be honest, I never liked the FJ Cruiser. It was too cartoony, too much gunslit window styling, and those dumb half doors made no sense.

I'd rather they sold a basic trim level Land Cruiser, or even a 2 door 4Runner to fill that spot in the market.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 02:42:30 PM
I see almost no occurrence of that in warranty reports or even anecdotes about it, from any generation of 4runner. I have to assume your dad's was a unicorn of sorts.

Seems to be a 4th gen issue... Lots of posts and DIYs
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 18, 2022, 04:05:47 PM
Seems to be a 4th gen issue... Lots of posts and DIYs

You're talking about the vacuum actuator? Yeah. I guess I was confused by you saying it "seized," making me think it locked up the driveline or something.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2022, 03:57:22 PM
To be honest, I never liked the FJ Cruiser. It was too cartoony, too much gunslit window styling, and those dumb half doors made no sense.

I'd rather they sold a basic trim level Land Cruiser, or even a 2 door 4Runner to fill that spot in the market.

Well, the overall style seems to be the result of those wanna be retro look.  So it's basically a nod to the FJ40.  And I feel like the suicide doors might be appearance of the suicide doors in Japanese cars during those times with Rx8 and Honda Element, so Toyota decide to do a #metoo. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on April 19, 2022, 09:49:18 AM
Well, the overall style seems to be the result of those wanna be retro look.  So it's basically a nod to the FJ40.  And I feel like the suicide doors might be appearance of the suicide doors in Japanese cars during those times with Rx8 and Honda Element, so Toyota decide to do a #metoo. 

Yeah, it was trying to be a new FJ40, which was a 2-door, but they wouldn't commit to only 2-doors.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

I've heard that the tie rods on these are breaking at an abnormal rate.  Especially on the units with larger tires that people take out to do some real wheeling.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 19, 2022, 08:04:31 PM
I've heard that the tie rods on these are breaking at an abnormal rate.  Especially on the units with larger tires that people take out to do some real wheeling.

I've heard this. I'm unsure how "real" the problem really is- but I'm sure there will be an update for the next year.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 19, 2022, 07:56:59 PM
Seems not that uncommon...Land Cruiser Police Car Gets Stuck On Beach, Then Is Swamped By The Tide

I mean, any time people drive near beaches, it happens eventually; especially in places with real tides. I remember being heartbroken a few years ago watching somebody do it with a beautiful little CRX.

AutobahnSHO

I love the comment in the one I posted about the locals "warning the driver". Means they've seen it happen before, too!
Will

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 19, 2022, 10:00:56 PM
I've heard this. I'm unsure how "real" the problem really is- but I'm sure there will be an update for the next year.

I follow a YouTube channel that does off-road recoveries and they had one recently that had a Bronco with a broken tie-rod. Of course they are also constantly towing out side-by-sides with busted front suspensions. Off-roading is a great way to find out what a vehicles weaknesses are.