Tao Tao 50 scooty puff jr

Started by Eye of the Tiger, September 11, 2020, 04:15:19 PM

Payman

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

shp4man

Reminds me of the Monty Python "Bridge of Death" skit.  :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on October 04, 2020, 11:33:29 AM
Reminds me of the Monty Python "Bridge of Death" skit.  :lol:

Entirely coincidental!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

I am going to set the ring end gaps to 0.009" and 0.011" according to the Wiseco chart for high-performance builds. Perhaps a bit more than usual, but the engine will be run at WOT most of the time.

Eye of the Tiger

Scooty top end is together. Set the valve lash at 0.004" on intake and exhaust. Valve cover is now black just because

Now to rejet the carb, again. Starting with a #90 main jet

Eye of the Tiger

It runs! I got scooty purring like a one-eyed runt kitten. Ran it good around the neighborhood on some hills to break in the new piston rings. Torque is up a metric shit ton. It pulls up these hills like nobody's business, and at part throttle. Full throttle feels like it still has more potential. I may have to go up a jet size.

Eye of the Tiger

It's amazing how quiet the engine is now.
It sounds like it should - a little Chinese sewing machine.
Such happy. Very scoot.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, by "little Chinese sewing machine", I didn't mean an eight year-old girl working in a sweat shop. It doesn't sound like that.

RomanChariot

You're back up to the required 2 vehicle minimum. Congratulations.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on October 06, 2020, 01:18:29 PM
You're back up to the required 2 vehicle minimum. Congratulations.

Feels good, man

CaminoRacer

Did you double your Knots Per Hour?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 06, 2020, 01:48:44 PM
Did you double your Knots Per Hour?

It has increased by a percentage.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

I need a jigger to measure out 1 oz. of octane booster each timeI fill up the gas tank.

Eye of the Tiger

Found one.
Now I just need to wing it when I make cocktails

shp4man

I'm curious how far this lovely vehicle will go before it needs more work. It's like Fix It Again Tony, Chinese version. :muffin:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 06, 2020, 05:55:38 PM
I need a jigger to measure out 1 oz. of octane booster each timeI fill up the gas tank.
Does that mean that there's a bit of preignition happening?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

Ah, it insists on premium gas! It's practically a sports car!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 07, 2020, 08:55:37 AM
I'm curious how far this lovely vehicle will go before it needs more work. It's like Fix It Again Tony, Chinese version. :muffin:

Made it to work and back today.
Pulled the spark plug, and it looks perfect.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 07, 2020, 09:43:59 AM
Does that mean that there's a bit of preignition happening?

I'm trying to prevent it. I can't just fill up with premium at most gas pumps, because my one gallon of gas will be whatever was left in the lines from the last customer.

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2020, 04:44:06 PM
I'm trying to prevent it. I can't just fill up with premium at most gas pumps, because my one gallon of gas will be whatever was left in the lines from the last customer.

Just pour the first gallon onto the ground to purge the pump line.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Seriously, though, do you really think you have enough compression to detonate on regular?

Not sure if it's true for 4-strokes, but small displacement 2-strokes (80cc or less) seem to love lower octanes, even heavily worked motors.  I remember when I raced MX, there was this guy with a kid racing in the 80cc class and he put a bunch of money into the motor sending it out to Pro Circuit to have a high compression piston and port job.  He was running 108 octane race fuel and it ran like crap.  Put some regular pump gas in it and it ran like a champ.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Why don't they just turn gas pumps into Coke Freestyle machines? Just squirt in whatever extra octane you need just before the nozzle. Want to add a hint of vanilla to your gasoline? Easy.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on October 07, 2020, 05:09:59 PM
Why don't they just turn gas pumps into Coke Freestyle machines? Just squirt in whatever extra octane you need just before the nozzle. Want to add a hint of vanilla to your gasoline? Easy.

They do make scented fuel additives. Root beer, blueberry, etc
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 07, 2020, 05:01:27 PM
Just pour the first gallon onto the ground to purge the pump line.

:lol:

Quote from: Laconian on October 07, 2020, 05:09:59 PM

Yes, it should be that easy. I want a shot of NOS!

Quote from: MX793 on October 07, 2020, 05:06:31 PM
Seriously, though, do you really think you have enough compression to detonate on regular?

Not sure if it's true for 4-strokes, but small displacement 2-strokes (80cc or less) seem to love lower octanes, even heavily worked motors.  I remember when I raced MX, there was this guy with a kid racing in the 80cc class and he put a bunch of money into the motor sending it out to Pro Circuit to have a high compression piston and port job.  He was running 108 octane race fuel and it ran like crap.  Put some regular pump gas in it and it ran like a champ.

I'm not going for 108 octane race gas. I just want to turn 87 into 90. And no, I'm not totally certain it is necessary.

Eye of the Tiger

The only drawback to having so much power is that it kind of kills the momentum game.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2020, 06:22:59 PM
:lol:

Yes, it should be that easy. I want a shot of NOS!

I'm not going for 108 octane race gas. I just want to turn 87 into 90. And no, I'm not totally certain it is necessary.
Does it "ping?"

Eye of the Tiger