Analysis: When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars?

Started by CaminoRacer, June 29, 2021, 09:28:40 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on July 06, 2021, 11:42:53 AM
...it's easy to not care about the future I guess when you don't have to worry about the welfare of kids and grandkids...

Don't you have kids? Kids are by definition THE chief global warming crime. Other crimes IIRC you've committed are building a home, have more cars than drivers in the household and owning an gas hog SUV.

Again, you don't believe it, so why should I, esp. that your global warming crimes are literally 10x greater than mine?

AutobahnSHO

EVs work great(er) in cities and Europe than the US of A.

My parents in Wyoming drive 70miles to go shopping. There is only one McDonald's in their entire county. Gas cars are where it's out out west!
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 06, 2021, 12:29:38 PM
If by pollution you mean light pollution you are probably right. Its harder to see things in the night sky mainly because of how many lights are on in the cities. Unless you are in a very smoggy city (LA for example) of course, but Toronto never struck me as particularly polluted.
I don't think that it's just light pollution.  No doubt that contributes, but even in the daylight there is a haziness.  The sky is blue in the daytime, but it's not the clear blue of the countryside.

The visible banks of pollution that I used to see as I drove over the top of the city to work are not as evident, it's more like a mist now.  Before, the top of the CN towner was always quite clear but below that, it was a dirty brown haze.  Now the top of the tower is still clear, but the city seems out of focus.  Not a filthy pollution, but pollution none the less.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 06, 2021, 01:25:54 PM
I don't think that it's just light pollution.  No doubt that contributes, but even in the daylight there is a haziness.  The sky is blue in the daytime, but it's not the clear blue of the countryside.

The visible banks of pollution that I used to see as I drove over the top of the city to work are not as evident, it's more like a mist now.  Before, the top of the CN towner was always quite clear but below that, it was a dirty brown haze.  Now the top of the tower is still clear, but the city seems out of focus.  Not a filthy pollution, but pollution none the less.
The upward-shining light bounces off the particulates in the air and increases the opacity that obscures the night sky. Obviously some of those particulates come from generating the electricity used for this upward-illumination. Pissing money away.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on July 06, 2021, 01:06:58 PM
Don't you have kids? Kids are by definition THE chief global warming crime. Other crimes IIRC you've committed are building a home, have more cars than drivers in the household and owning an gas hog SUV.

Again, you don't believe it, so why should I, esp. that your global warming crimes are literally 10x greater than mine?

So bitter
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 07, 2021, 07:22:31 AM
The upward-shining light bounces off the particulates in the air and increases the opacity that obscures the night sky. Obviously some of those particulates come from generating the electricity used for this upward-illumination. Pissing money away.
The majority of our electricity is from nuclear power (2 large plants in the vicinity) and hydro (Niagara).  The rest is from wind and solar with a small percentage still from natural gas.  No coal anymore.  What lingers in the air is largely from vehicle exhaust, including airplanes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

Even in their current early iterations, EVs are quite compelling as second cars. Their convenience & hassle-free ease of ownership count for a lot - even for warmism apostates. You'd keep a gasser on hand for long journeys and petrolhead fun.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 07, 2021, 03:50:10 PM
Even in their current early iterations, EVs are quite compelling as second cars. Their convenience & hassle-free ease of ownership count for a lot - even for warmism apostates. You'd keep a gasser on hand for long journeys and petrolhead fun.

My garage is all cars that are best as a second vehicle, then :lol:

EV, sports car, classic muscle car
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 07, 2021, 03:50:10 PM

This!
Will

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 07, 2021, 06:08:11 PM
My garage is all cars that are best as a second vehicle, then :lol:

EV, sports car, classic muscle car

:lol:

That's very true.  There are zero basic utility vehicles in your garage.  Admirable, but would drive me nuts to live with I think.

That's kind of where I'm at with EVs too. Great 2nd vehicle...but I'd rather have a sports car as my second car.  Maybe when the girlfriend has a CX-5, I would consider an EV.  The F150 Lightning, S2000, and a CX-5 is really useful 3 car combination.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on July 08, 2021, 06:35:59 AM
:lol:

That's very true.  There are zero basic utility vehicles in your garage.  Admirable, but would drive me nuts to live with I think.

That's kind of where I'm at with EVs too. Great 2nd vehicle...but I'd rather have a sports car as my second car.  Maybe when the girlfriend has a CX-5, I would consider an EV.  The F150 Lightning, S2000, and a CX-5 is really useful 3 car combination.

Utility is satisfied with either the Bolt or the El Camino with its truck bed.

Roadtrips are really the only time I'm missing a go-to vehicle. Any of the cars can do a trip, but the best car depends on the circumstances & destination.

MrH

You don't really have a large, quiet, person/stuff carrying vehicle.  Like a basic sedan or crossover :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

F150 Lightning prices are strange.  Amazing deal at the low end.  But the price climbs disproportionately with the trim levels.  It's a huge price increase for relatively small amount of options added.  And key things are left out of the lower end specs to try to incentivize you to move up.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on July 09, 2021, 09:11:43 AM
You don't really have a large, quiet, person/stuff carrying vehicle.  Like a basic sedan or crossover :lol:

The Bolt is plenty big enough for people carrying, basically the same size as my Mazda6 that used to fill that role. That was one of the reasons we bought it instead of a 2nd gen Volt, since the Volt backseat has no headroom. The Bolt will fit 4 people comfortably and has a decent sized trunk area. It fit a 55" tv in the box with the seats down and I've seen someone get a 65" in there. It's a good size for a 2-3 person roadtrip, but would be a bit cramped for 4 people. I would just rent a car for that.

It's also nice and quiet for commuting. The suspension is a bit stiff and you sit close to the front axle, so you feel bumps more than in the Miata. That + the seats being too narrow and uncomfortable are my biggest complaints with the car. If I could get a brand new 1st gen Mazda6 with the Bolt drivetrain, that would be ideal to me. (and bluetooth + aux for the stereo)

ChrisV

Speaking of Bolts and road trips, my wife just made her second stop on her road trip from our house here to her brother's in Greenville, TN. Half hour to go from 20% to 85%. Next stop is at her brother's house. There's actually a DCFC not to far from his house, so she's going to top it off there to drive around with her brother for then next few days before driving home.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 07, 2021, 01:22:05 PM
The majority of our electricity is from nuclear power (2 large plants in the vicinity) and hydro (Niagara).  The rest is from wind and solar with a small percentage still from natural gas.  No coal anymore.  What lingers in the air is largely from vehicle exhaust, including airplanes.

In California, we're going in the wrong direction going all out in shutting down Nuclear power plants.. and putting all their eggs in the wind/solar which will have catastrophic consequences due to lack of a safety backup for this.  Peak hours previously was when the factory was operational 1-4 is now 4-9 due to the over reliance on solar.  Of course they're ignoring all the environmental damage from the wind and solar.  If they were to go all in on Nuclear, all of the water problems could easily be solved in the state but it makes too much sense.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/my-turn/2021/05/will-california-keep-the-lights-on-when-diablo-canyon-shuts-down/

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on July 12, 2021, 11:45:37 AM
In California, we're going in the wrong direction going all out in shutting down Nuclear power plants.. and putting all their eggs in the wind/solar which will have catastrophic consequences due to lack of a safety backup for this.  Peak hours previously was when the factory was operational 1-4 is now 4-9 due to the over reliance on solar.  Of course they're ignoring all the environmental damage from the wind and solar.  If they were to go all in on Nuclear, all of the water problems could easily be solved in the state but it makes too much sense.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/my-turn/2021/05/will-california-keep-the-lights-on-when-diablo-canyon-shuts-down/

Solar power in Utah is apparently cheaper than nuclear, but nuclear takes less land and can run 24/7 to pick up the slack from solar. I think a solar/wind/nuclear blend is the best option.

r0tor

1 nuclear meltdown costs as much as all renewables in the world combined... Ask Japan.

Nuclear plants were all designed around a life expectancy.  They are largely past that life expectancy.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 12, 2021, 11:47:47 AM
Solar power in Utah is apparently cheaper than nuclear, but nuclear takes less land and can run 24/7 to pick up the slack from solar. I think a solar/wind/nuclear blend is the best option.

Such a shame that nuclear energy development stalled so much decades ago. The latest small modular nuclear reactor tech stuff seems interesting and seems like it could be an ideal way to go off fossil fuels, but folks (like r0tor) are so scared of it that it might never even get a chance.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 12, 2021, 11:47:47 AM

I'm not so sure about the winds simply due to the damage it does to the wild life not to mention the waste generated from the turbines..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-02-05/wind-turbine-blades-can-t-be-recycled-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2021, 11:48:17 AM
1 nuclear meltdown costs as much as all renewables in the world combined... Ask Japan.

Nuclear plants were all designed around a life expectancy.  They are largely past that life expectancy.

It's 50 year old nuclear power plant that's built with an even older design that is no longer used and used an older design.  And the thing is, it took a 9.0 earthquake, but didn't do anything.. instead, the predictable tsunami ensued that resulted in the damage.  And the thing is, all of this would have been preventable...

https://carnegieendowment.org/2012/03/06/why-fukushima-was-preventable-pub-47361

r0tor

The simple fact is with nuclear plants is "shit eventually happens".  Nobody imagined a 45 foot wave taking out the plant - but it eventually happened.  Nobody imagined at TMI a triple redundant system failing all at once - but it did.

They work great 99.99999% of the time.  Unrecoverable though when something goes wrong.  The longer you operate them and extend the plant life the more likely something goes wrong.

You can't build a nuclear plant today.  They are 30-40x more costly than a similar sized natural gas plant and many multiple times more costly than renewables.  Overhauling one is no cheaper either. 

Take the $8 billion that a new nuclear plant costs, install 400,000 solar roof top systems with battery backup - and poof you have more carbon free energy capacity and it's a microgrid that reduces strain on existing infrastructure.

And better yet, shutdown the nukes asap and avoid an inevitable Fukushima like $80 billion clean up costs and install solar and install 4 million roof top solar systems with energy storage.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2021, 01:06:02 PM
The simple fact is with nuclear plants is "shit eventually happens".  Nobody imagined a 45 foot wave taking out the plant - but it eventually happened.  Nobody imagined at TMI a triple redundant system failing all at once - but it did.

They work great 99.99999% of the time.  Unrecoverable though when something goes wrong.  The longer you operate them and extend the plant life the more likely something goes wrong.

You can't build a nuclear plant today.  They are 30-40x more costly than a similar sized natural gas plant and many multiple times more costly than renewables.  Overhauling one is no cheaper either. 

Take the $8 billion that a new nuclear plant costs, install 400,000 solar roof top systems with battery backup - and poof you have more carbon free energy capacity and it's a microgrid that reduces strain on existing infrastructure.

And better yet, shutdown the nukes asap and avoid a Fukushima like $80 billion clean up costs and install solar and install 4 million roof top solar systems with energy storage.

I recommend reading Bill Gates' new book about climate change. I'm about 70% of the way through it and he explains the reality & feasibility of all of this. Might not be a perfect book, but it puts things into perspective pretty well.

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on July 12, 2021, 11:45:37 AM

As long as nuclear plants aren't built on fault lines or areas of flooding, and are properly maintained, they're pretty safe.  Fukushima had at least two strikes against it.  The design of Candu reactors are considered among the safest designs.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 12, 2021, 01:09:41 PM
As long as nuclear plants aren't built on fault lines or areas of flooding, and are properly maintained, they're pretty safe.  Fukushima had at least two strikes against it.  The design of Candu reactors are considered among the safest designs.

Thing is, most anywhere on the on planet has multiple strikes - earthquakes, floods, volcanos, hurricanes, tornadoes, war, extreme temps, etc.

I'm gonna go with BFF r0tor here - it all works fine till it doesn't - just two accidents each literally jeopardized the entire planet and laid waste to millions of acres of inhabited land.

Even if global warming was a reality, I can't imagine the calculus that would show it worth the risk.

r0tor

Yes, an inhabitable area with a 12 mile radius for thousands of years is really that bad

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2021, 05:21:59 PM
Yes, an inhabitable area with a 12 mile radius for thousands of years is really that bad

You're ignoring the effects of fossil fuels and everything associated with them. How many lives have they taken and what's the environmental impact? Both are much higher than nuclear

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 12, 2021, 07:16:56 PM
You're ignoring the effects of fossil fuels and everything associated with them. How many lives have they taken and what's the environmental impact? Both are much higher than nuclear

What does that have to do with  nuclear

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2021, 11:48:17 AM

So build new ones.    :huh:

Technology has LEAPED FORWARD in the last 50 years.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/next-gen-nuclear-plant-and-jobs-are-coming-wyoming
Will