Cybertruck

Started by Laconian, May 06, 2023, 11:29:20 AM

Laconian

Supposedly it's coming out this year? Let's talk about it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-went-from-exoskeleton-marvel-to-unibody-honda-ridgeline-competitor-214263.html

Apparently the "stressed steel" construction that was going to revolutionize the economics of truck manufacturing is no longer an aspect of the CT's design. It's a conventional unibody "truck" with stainless panels.

CaminoRacer

They made all of those under-skin changes but didn't change the worst part - the design. Oof
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Overpromise, under-deliver. The Elon Way.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 06, 2023, 11:58:13 AMThey made all of those under-skin changes but didn't change the worst part - the design. Oof

Right, the design was pitched as "form follows function", and the strong stainless steel panels were chosen specifically to support the function of holding the car together.

FoMoJo

It's good to see that they're practicing forms of efficiency, like combining the sunroof with the windshield.  Should save a few bucks there.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 06, 2023, 01:10:52 PMIt's good to see that they're practicing forms of efficiency, like combining the sunroof with the windshield.  Should save a few bucks there.

Not at all. Giant pieces of glass strong enough for automotive duty are not cheap. At all. Tesla windshields are notoriously expensive to replace...like 3-4x the cost of more "normal" windshields.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 06, 2023, 11:58:13 AMThey made all of those under-skin changes but didn't change the worst part - the design. Oof

Changes? This proves that up to this point, all Cyber Trucks were a prop - i.e., there was nothing to change.

As if I couldn't have any less respect for Tesla, then here comes the lies of Cyber Truck (that will go 100% unpunished).

MrH

It was a dumb concept they threw together last minute that they're trying to make into a production car.  There was zero innovation or thought behind why an "exo skeleton" would make sense or be a good idea.  It was just the science fair project they did the night before to pump the stock.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Got my name down for one but I'm something like 7 million in line.

I wasn't interested until I got the Model Y.  The Model Y is a seriously impressive machine that blew me away and I figure by the time my cybertruck order comes up they'd be several years into production by then.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Cybertruck wiper being delivered.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Will

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on May 07, 2023, 08:26:43 AMIt was a dumb concept they threw together last minute that they're trying to make into a production car.  There was zero innovation or thought behind why an "exo skeleton" would make sense or be a good idea.  It was just the science fair project they did the night before to pump the stock.

And the lie of course worked like a champ to pump both the stock and pre orders. It's yet another Tesla crime that will go unpunished by all - market, regulators and buyers alike.

I thought this was a troll when first aired but it's obviously true now. Seriously, WTF are you doing working at these companies if you're an engineer and know anything.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qpCYyC6xm-g

Laconian

Wow, Elon's got a big belly in that interview.

Laconian

giant_mtb

Wait. A Ridgeline needing to be saved by an actual truck? No way.

Laconian

Bottom photo is of the bed in the "preproduction" model.

You cannot view this attachment.

CaminoRacer

Just cut the roof off the back a Model Y and you can have the same thing
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

There are @ 2 million pre-orders for the Cybertruck. To put that in perspective, I believe there were 200,000 preorders for the F-150 Lightning before Ford closed it off. I don't know what percentage but probably at least 50% and maybe much more of the Lightning preorders were cancelled but that was because Ford pulled a Ford and jacked up the price by 20 grand only to eat crow and decrease it by 10 grand after, guess what, no one wanted their truck anymore.

Even if 75% of the preorders for the Cybertruck are cancelled, that's still 500 thousand sales. How long it will take Tesla to make those 500 thousand trucks I'm not sure but...one thing Tesla knows how to do is price their vehicles to kill their competition. 

Whether or not the fit and finish looks not so good, I don't think will make a difference. Most guys I know who have a Model Y or Model S will gladly replace it with a Cybertruck because guys like trucks and this variant will get a rolled eye approval from the wife because it's a Tesla.

Laconian

Given the low cost of the preorder, the refundability of the pre-order, and the complete lack of details as to what the Cybertruck would actually be or how much it would actually cost, I think that the preorder volume is a weak proxy for actual demand at launch. The CT was originally promised to be a $40k truck. It's not going to be priced anywhere near that when it does come out.

It makes for good PR though, and it's a very cheap loan on extremely favorable terms for Tesla!

Imagine if preorders cost just a dollar and two billion people "got in line".

MrH

Quote from: veeman on September 25, 2023, 01:13:22 PMThere are @ 2 million pre-orders for the Cybertruck. To put that in perspective, I believe there were 200,000 preorders for the F-150 Lightning before Ford closed it off. I don't know what percentage but probably at least 50% and maybe much more of the Lightning preorders were cancelled but that was because Ford pulled a Ford and jacked up the price by 20 grand only to eat crow and decrease it by 10 grand after, guess what, no one wanted their truck anymore.

Even if 75% of the preorders for the Cybertruck are cancelled, that's still 500 thousand sales. How long it will take Tesla to make those 500 thousand trucks I'm not sure but...one thing Tesla knows how to do is price their vehicles to kill their competition. 

Whether or not the fit and finish looks not so good, I don't think will make a difference. Most guys I know who have a Model Y or Model S will gladly replace it with a Cybertruck because guys like trucks and this variant will get a rolled eye approval from the wife because it's a Tesla.

Lol!  25% of reservations are not converting.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

We should have a betting pool for the specs, price point, and sales figures.

It really is crazy, the lack of information so late in the game.

Tesla won't release power numbers on the new "Highland" Model 3, either.

Morris Minor

My son saw one in Cupertino the other day.
"It's pretty ugly in person. The corners on the back are really harsh"
Snapped this:

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2023, 01:34:15 PMWe should have a betting pool for the specs, price point, and sales figures.

It really is crazy, the lack of information so late in the game.

Tesla won't release power numbers on the new "Highland" Model 3, either.

I will gladly bet a lot of money if people want to set the line :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 25, 2023, 01:57:56 PMMy son saw one in Cupertino the other day.
"It's pretty ugly in person. The corners on the back are really harsh"
Snapped this:

The digital camo is to deprive the peanut gallery of snark fodder. Can't critique the panel alignment if you can't see the panels!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2023, 12:50:04 PMBottom photo is of the bed in the "preproduction" model.

You cannot view this attachment.

Doesn't look like you'll be fitting a 4-wheeler in that bed like they have pictured in the renders on the website. lolol

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 25, 2023, 02:19:53 PMDoesn't look like you'll be fitting a 4-wheeler in that bed like they have pictured in the renders on the website. lolol

By Tesla 4-wheeler, I'm assuming you mean the rebadged Yamaha they rolled out on stage? :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

I'm not going to set the betting line:)

The Cybertruck has three versions; single motor RWD, dual motor AWD, and tri motor AWD. After the initial priciest version come out, my guess is the single motor RWD will be 50 grand and the dual motor AWD will be 60 grand. Especially with EV tax credits, it will be I think about 10 grand more than a model Y.

Elon will not price the single motor RWD more than the base model Lightning which is $49995.

So I think a middle aged guy who currently has a 50 grand Model Y will seriously think about forking over 60 grand for a Cybertruck after paying off his model Y. Because that guy will think paying slightly over a grand a month is not much more than the current grand a month he is paying for his Model Y. 

MrH

Quote from: veeman on September 25, 2023, 03:17:24 PMI'm not going to set the betting line:)

The Cybertruck has three versions; single motor RWD, dual motor AWD, and tri motor AWD. After the initial priciest version come out, my guess is the single motor RWD will be 50 grand and the dual motor AWD will be 60 grand. Especially with EV tax credits, it will be I think about 10 grand more than a model Y.

Elon will not price the single motor RWD more than the base model Lightning which is $49995.

So I think a middle aged guy who currently has a 50 grand Model Y will seriously think about forking over 60 grand for a Cybertruck after paying off his model Y. Because that guy will think paying slightly over a grand a month is not much more than the current grand a month he is paying for his Model Y. 

Actually, there are zero versions :lol:  These are all just ideas, just like the Roadster that's going to fly, robotaxis, Optimus robots, etc.

How many Cybertrucks do you think they'll sell this year?  How about Q1 of 2024?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited