Saxonyron took the plunge on a new ride.

Started by saxonyron, February 18, 2006, 10:02:29 PM

SJ_GTI

QuoteIt's "Dolphin Gray" with Premium package, Sunroof/leather package, Cold weather package, Audio package, sport suspension, and 17" wheels.  The packages result in the usual nice stuff like heated electric seats, automatic wipers and headlites, trip computer, ski pass-thru, upgraded Bose stereo with Sirius satellite, Gray leather seats.  My timing was tight, so I needed a car off the lot.  This one was right on, except I wouldn't have sprung for the $1,000 radio upgrade voluntarily.
Hey congrats!  :thumbsup:

Its funny but your car sounds identical to mine (except its the newer generation). I have the exact same options with one exception, I didn't get the bose sound system. They didn't have satelite radio in canada when i bought mine, but I think getting the satellite radio pre-installed makes it worth it. Right now I have an aftermarket XM hookup in my A4.

Anyway can't wait to see pics.  :praise:  

dazzleman

QuoteIt's "Dolphin Gray" with Premium package, Sunroof/leather package, Cold weather package, Audio package, sport suspension, and 17" wheels.  The packages result in the usual nice stuff like heated electric seats, automatic wipers and headlites, trip computer, ski pass-thru, upgraded Bose stereo with Sirius satellite, Gray leather seats.  My timing was tight, so I needed a car off the lot.  This one was right on, except I wouldn't have sprung for the $1,000 radio upgrade voluntarily.
Hey congrats!  :thumbsup:

Its funny but your car sounds identical to mine (except its the newer generation). I have the exact same options with one exception, I didn't get the bose sound system. They didn't have satelite radio in canada when i bought mine, but I think getting the satellite radio pre-installed makes it worth it. Right now I have an aftermarket XM hookup in my A4.

Anyway can't wait to see pics.  :praise:
I want to see the pics too.  I think the angle of the picture of Ron's current car is really cool.  It somehow makes the car look very powerful.

Hopefully, he'll take one of the new car at that angle.

I just hope that dude can stay out of trouble with his new car.  :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

QuoteNice!  Congrats!  How long 'till the mod bug hits ya?
:lol:  :lol:

I don't have any planned right now, but then again, I didn't with my old car either!  This already has the sport suspension and upgraded wheels, so there goes the old plan.  Now, a chip...................naaaah.  But then again...... B)
C'mon ya know you want to be just a little different!

TurboDan

QuoteI'm so anxious to get a new car :banghead:
You should've seen me yesterday.  I was in NJ and stopped by a Mercedes dealership, and they had three of the rare C320 coupes left in stock.  If the dealership was open (illegal for car dealers to be open on Sundays in NJ) I would've gone for a test drive.  

Depending on how badly they wanted to get rid of them, I might've stuck around to negotiate.  I gotta unload the Saab soon, the mileage is getting way too high for my comfort.

TurboDan

QuoteOf course, everybody pushes the limits when test driving a fast car.  There were several instances when I probably could have been led away in 'cuffs for the speeds I was doing on test drives.  :pullover:
Hehe.  When I bought the Saab, the original owner wanted me to see for myself "how great the handling is in this car."  I bought it from a guy who lives near Atlantic City, NJ since I saw the advertisement in the paper when I was at the beach in the summer.  

Turns out a small residential street eventually leads to a traffic circle that doubles as an entrance to the Atlantic City Expressway.  As we're driving down this road by his house, he tells me (as I'm doing about 40 or so) "OK, you should floor it up to about 85 or 90 here and swing around this circle as fast as you can onto the highway."   :lol:

Of course, I "reluctantly" obliged him.  :ph34r:  :praise:

SJ_GTI

Quote(illegal for car dealers to be open on Sundays in NJ)
Eh?

Its not illegal for anything to be open in NJ. When my younger brother was looking for a car last spring I went with him to about half a dozen different dealers on a Sunday.

Most places do close early on sunday (noon to 3pm-ish) but there is certainly no law about it.

TBR

In Texas a car dealer can only be open 6 days a week, but it doesn't matter what those 6 days are.

dazzleman

Quote(illegal for car dealers to be open on Sundays in NJ)
Eh?

Its not illegal for anything to be open in NJ. When my younger brother was looking for a car last spring I went with him to about half a dozen different dealers on a Sunday.

Most places do close early on sunday (noon to 3pm-ish) but there is certainly no law about it.
Dan is probably talking about Bergen County, which has blue laws relating to retailers being open on Sunday.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

QuoteOf course, everybody pushes the limits when test driving a fast car.? There were several instances when I probably could have been led away in 'cuffs for the speeds I was doing on test drives.? :pullover:
Hehe.  When I bought the Saab, the original owner wanted me to see for myself "how great the handling is in this car."  I bought it from a guy who lives near Atlantic City, NJ since I saw the advertisement in the paper when I was at the beach in the summer.  

Turns out a small residential street eventually leads to a traffic circle that doubles as an entrance to the Atlantic City Expressway.  As we're driving down this road by his house, he tells me (as I'm doing about 40 or so) "OK, you should floor it up to about 85 or 90 here and swing around this circle as fast as you can onto the highway."   :lol:

Of course, I "reluctantly" obliged him.  :ph34r:  :praise:
Hah, I know how reluctant you must have been to go a little faster, but it just wouldn't have been right to disappoint the guy.  Obviously, taking it up to 95 was the only polite thing to do.. :lol:

I went on a big test-driving binge in late 2000, before I bought my 2001 Bimmer.  It was a lot of fun, and luckily, I didn't get nailed.  :pullover:  

Raza

QuoteI'm so anxious to get a new car :banghead:
You should've seen me yesterday.  I was in NJ and stopped by a Mercedes dealership, and they had three of the rare C320 coupes left in stock.  If the dealership was open (illegal for car dealers to be open on Sundays in NJ) I would've gone for a test drive.  

Depending on how badly they wanted to get rid of them, I might've stuck around to negotiate.  I gotta unload the Saab soon, the mileage is getting way too high for my comfort.
They're probably desperate to get rid of them!  You should get one.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

QuoteIts not illegal for anything to be open in NJ. When my younger brother was looking for a car last spring I went with him to about half a dozen different dealers on a Sunday.
Really?  I've never in my life seen a car dealership in NJ open on a Sunday.  In fact, it's a running joke amongst alot of people I know that you always look at cars on a Sunday since no dealers will come out to hastle you.  

A quick Google search yielded:

Barry Lamb, general manager at Richards Mazda in Freehold, NJ, is unable to open on Sunday's because of strict blue laws. "We'd love to open on Sundays," says Mr. Lamb. "Most dealers don't want to change. It's an old law that's just hung around."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...v33/ai_21268429

By the way, D-man, the MB dealership was in Little Silver, NJ, in Monmouth County.  I've heard of some strange laws in Bergen County - I believe there is one that women can't go into a bar on Sunday, or something like that.

TurboDan

QuoteThey're probably desperate to get rid of them!  You should get one.
That's what I was thinking.  Despite how people sometimes make fun of them, they're decent little cars for a good price - plus they're literally identical in size to my Saab, and I like the size of the Saab alot.  If I could get one with the panoramic sunroof and a premium stereo, I'd be set.  

Since it's looking more likely that I could be moving to MD in a year or so, I'd consider a manual too, since I won't have to deal with NYC traffic as often.  Not that traffic between DC and B'more is anything to smile about, but it's nothing near NYC/NJ traffic.

Raza

QuoteThey're probably desperate to get rid of them!  You should get one.
That's what I was thinking.  Despite how people sometimes make fun of them, they're decent little cars for a good price - plus they're literally identical in size to my Saab, and I like the size of the Saab alot.  If I could get one with the panoramic sunroof and a premium stereo, I'd be set.  

Since it's looking more likely that I could be moving to MD in a year or so, I'd consider a manual too, since I won't have to deal with NYC traffic as often.  Not that traffic between DC and B'more is anything to smile about, but it's nothing near NYC/NJ traffic.
I think they look rather good in the right color, and it's the perfect Mercedes for someone without a family.  The problem with being seen as the cheapest Benz is that people can easily forget that it's actually a good car.  With a stickshift, I'd take one over a GTI, I suspect.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Hey Saxonyron, how did the interior compare to your A6?

Are you losing much rear seat space (your generation of A6 wasn't that big I don't think)? How does the front seat space compare? I assume the trunks are pretty similar.

Also how would you rate the subjective "quality" (not reliability) of the interiors?

Also, since both engines are turbo would you say the newer engine has better responses? Obviously it isn't as powerful so I don't mean that, more along the lines of turbo lag or throttle response..

saxonyron

QuoteHey Saxonyron, how did the interior compare to your A6?

Are you losing much rear seat space (your generation of A6 wasn't that big I don't think)? How does the front seat space compare? I assume the trunks are pretty similar.

Also how would you rate the subjective "quality" (not reliability) of the interiors?

Also, since both engines are turbo would you say the newer engine has better responses? Obviously it isn't as powerful so I don't mean that, more along the lines of turbo lag or throttle response..
The new car's interior is a very familiar place to be - like a 9/10's scale A6.  Almost exactly laid out, except for the steering wheel (new style) and the cup holders (much sturdier, on the console).  Quality is great - feels more modern than the 6 yr old A6, but is very similar.  

Rear seats are definitely tighter, although my A6 was pretty tight when I had the seat back for my long legs.  My 4 yr olds could fit behind me, but no one else.  Now, maybe an embryo or a midget dwarf can fit behind me.  Front seats are very similar - I'm just as comfortable in the A4 or A6.

Throttle response is that same silky jet-like feel.  I need more seat time to really say, but it certainly felt powerful.  Turbo-lag was there, but I'd say no more or less than my bi-turbo 2.7T.  The power delivery was  smoother, I'd say, especially since I really had no idea it had streaked up to 100 mph with very little effort.  Again, more seat time is needed - tomorrow's the day!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Lebowski

Congrats.  Your impressions in your review were very similar to my own when I went through this process a few months back, except I don't have to deal with the snow issue.  I was also impressed with the driving dynamics of the G35, IMO the Bimmer has very little on the G35 in terms of driving dynamics (although I don't love the G35's styling).  I also really liked the A4 2.0 Quattro.

EDIT: Oh, and good choice w/ the Dolphin Gray.  That's probably what I would have got on the A4.

Lebowski

QuoteThanks guys!  The waiting is killing me!  I'd be driving it now except the salesguy had Thursday off so it didn't get finalized til Friday.  Monday the registry and insurance dudes are off, so I have to wait til Tuesday.  Not bad in the big picture, but I hate to wait!  B)
You think the wait is killing YOU!!!???

:rage:  

Raza

Seriously though, I'll take that 2.7T off your hands.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

saxonyron

You think the wait is killing YOU!!!???

:rage:
:lol: I feel your pain! (Although maybe only 1/10th of it!)  I'll probably ask to go into an induced coma when time comes to order up a new one!  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Here are a few shots I took today when I went to the dealer to finalize papers. She hasn't been detailed yet - sitting there in the back lot waiting for me to show up with plates in hand! Now I gotta find a DMV that's open tomorrow - one drawback with living in "Cow Hampshire" - Town Clerk closed Tuesday, DMV next town over open only Thurs/Fri.  Got to go to Manchester DMV 40 minutes away to get plates and reg.  :banghead:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Run Away

Gotta give it the same treatment as your A6, it could really use a drop and some nicer rims.

Sharp ride though. B)

TBR

I really like the rims, but a bit of a drop would look nice.

Run Away

saxonyron

QuoteSeriously though, I'll take that 2.7T off your hands.
It's too much car for you, Raza!  :lol:  But seriously, it's sold already. Besides, what do you want with a 6 yr old German car with about 120,000 miles on it? It'll be the 3rd car I've sold to an employee.  This was the easiest sale yet - one mention about 3 wks ago, sold.  Even better, I don't have to play bank this time - he's a cash customer!

It always tempers my enthusiasm for getting a new car, knowing I'll miss the old one!  :(  The A6 was the culmination of 10 yrs of planning, once I sold my '86 Coupe GT in 1992. It really was the proverbial "dream car".  I'd been driving sensible shoes and paying for houses and kids instead of a nice ride. I'm pumped about the new car, but it'll never be the same as the 2.7T!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteI really like the rims, but a bit of a drop would look nice.
This has the Sport Suspension which sits about an inch lower than the stock suspension.  I wish it was another 0.5 - .07" - may need another Eibach Pro-Kit drop!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

J86

Drop it an chip it!

Looks real nice btw- the new schnoz has grown on me.

JYODER240

Nice ride! Make sure to look it over very carefully when you take delivery. New cars arent perfect and often have scratches and blemishes in the paint, at least thats how it is with Lexus.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

dazzleman

Here are a few shots I took today when I went to the dealer to finalize papers. She hasn't been detailed yet - sitting there in the back lot waiting for me to show up with plates in hand! Now I gotta find a DMV that's open tomorrow - one drawback with living in "Cow Hampshire" - Town Clerk closed Tuesday, DMV next town over open only Thurs/Fri.  Got to go to Manchester DMV 40 minutes away to get plates and reg.  :banghead:

Ron, is that you or the salesman standing next to the car in the picture above?

I doubt it's you because the guy doesn't look tall enough.  Still, I can't tell for sure, and on second thought, that could be a very tall guy, because I can't see his head.

Nice looking car, BTW.  Best of luck with it.

saxonyron

QuoteRon, is that you or the salesman standing next to the car in one of those pictures?

I doubt it's you because the guy doesn't look tall enough.

Nice looking car, BTW.  Best of luck with it.
Actually that's my Dad - he wanted to check out the new ride.  He's a Jeep Fan, running '01 and '05 Grand Cherokees - but he secretly loves Audis.  B)  (And he's around 6'5", even at 70 yrs old!  I hope I'm in half his shape when I'm 70! :rockon: )

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan