2006 Lexus SC: Facelift

Started by ifcar, May 19, 2005, 02:53:45 PM

ifcar

Fire It Up

Well, it looks better. But I cant tell whats changesd.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TurboDan

Nice facelift on the part of Lexus.  I'd love to see what the red model looks like, though.

Colonel Cadillac

BMWDave

QuoteNice facelift on the part of Lexus.  I'd love to see what the red model looks like, though.
Definitely.  I think it looks nicer now.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I love being a turtle!

That's a little throwback for the younger fellows on the board.  But truly, if I wasn't into sporty driving, the SC430 would be on my list of must-haves.  But as it is, the 645Ci offers a better driving experience, similar price, and a 6 speed manual.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteI've said it before and I'll say it again.  I love being a turtle!

That's a little throwback for the younger fellows on the board.  But truly, if I wasn't into sporty driving, the SC430 would be on my list of must-haves.  But as it is, the 645Ci offers a better driving experience, similar price, and a 6 speed manual.
I believe the 6-Series is some $12,000+ more than the SC.  

Raza

QuoteI've said it before and I'll say it again.  I love being a turtle!

That's a little throwback for the younger fellows on the board.  But truly, if I wasn't into sporty driving, the SC430 would be on my list of must-haves.  But as it is, the 645Ci offers a better driving experience, similar price, and a 6 speed manual.
Not realistically.  Lexus has a very deceptive pricing scheme.  Sure, the base price may only be 55K, but you've got Options Package A and Options Package B, both of which cost over 6000 dollars or something.  They do that with every car--that's how they can advertise a very low MSRP.

EDIT:  The SC430 is 64K and the 645Ci start a bit under 70K.  And it seems they got rid of the old pricing system.  Bravo Lex.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

That's a little throwback for the younger fellows on the board.  But truly, if I wasn't into sporty driving, the SC430 would be on my list of must-haves.  But as it is, the 645Ci offers a better driving experience, similar price, and a 6 speed manual.
Not realistically.  Lexus has a very deceptive pricing scheme.  Sure, the base price may only be 55K, but you've got Options Package A and Options Package B, both of which cost over 6000 dollars or something.  They do that with every car--that's how they can advertise a very low MSRP.
Actually, the SC has NO option packages.

Lexus SC430 w/no options: $63,575
BMW 645Ci convertible w/no options: $76,900
Lexus SC430 w/every option: $67,115
BMW 645Ci convertible w/every option (including three options packages): $87,795

If the price difference between a fully loaded SC and a no-options 6-Series is itself almost $10K, it's really a bit of a stretch to say that they are "similarly priced".

BMWDave

QuoteI've said it before and I'll say it again.? I love being a turtle!

That's a little throwback for the younger fellows on the board.? But truly, if I wasn't into sporty driving, the SC430 would be on my list of must-haves.? But as it is, the 645Ci offers a better driving experience, similar price, and a 6 speed manual.

BMW 645Ci convertible w/every option (including three options packages): $87,795

If the price difference between a fully loaded SC and a no-options 6-Series is itself almost $10K, it's really a bit of a stretch to say that they are "similarly priced".
You could always get a Coupe like a real enthusiast and the price of the 6er declines like 5K.  That brings you closer to SC levels.  And hell, I'd take the sporty driving over the Lexus' amazing top anyday.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

You could always get a Coupe like a real enthusiast and the price of the 6er declines like 5K.  That brings you closer to SC levels.  And hell, I'd take the sporty driving over the Lexus' amazing top anyday.
Not really fair to compare coupe to convertible though.  

BMWDave

That's a little throwback for the younger fellows on the board.? But truly, if I wasn't into sporty driving, the SC430 would be on my list of must-haves.? But as it is, the 645Ci offers a better driving experience, similar price, and a 6 speed manual.

The Lexus' top could be judged by some to compete with a Coupe.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

The Lexus's top can become like the BMW's, but the opposite is not true.  

BMWDave

I understand that.  I also think its completely understandable that people would cross shop a BMW 6er Coupe with the Lexus SC, simply because of that hard top.

2007 Honda S2000

Laconian

I notice the differences. It's a little more creased, less puffy. I sort of liked the old shape, very sturdy and classy looking. <_<

I dinked with the convertible hardtop at the Seattle car show, much to the amazement of a small crowd of older folks. Put it down, then popped it off again. They were absolutely stunned. After I got out, some gorgeous Lexus fembot strutted over in her high heels and promptly cut the power to the roof by setting some sort of manual override. Stupid, since just seeing that roof in action probably got Lexus at least one sale among the spectators.

The lure of the gadget is a strong one indeed.  
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

I understand that.  I also think its completely understandable that people would cross shop a BMW 6er Coupe with the Lexus SC, simply because of that hard top.
They may very well be cross-shopped, but in a pricing comparison you want to go by the comparably-equipped versions, which would be convertible vs. convertible.  

BMWDave

They may very well be cross-shopped, but in a pricing comparison you want to go by the comparably-equipped versions, which would be convertible vs. convertible.
Not necessarily.  My point is that the hardtop on the Lexus makes it as appealable as a Coupe to some people, and thus would easily cross shop it with the BMW coupe.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Not necessarily.  My point is that the hardtop on the Lexus makes it as appealable as a Coupe to some people, and thus would easily cross shop it with the BMW coupe.
I recognize your point, but for a price comparison you want comparably-equipped versions. And to equip the 645Ci to the level of the SC430, you need to add a certain $7,000 option.  

BMWDave

the 6er starts at 69,900 for the coupe.  The Sc starts at 64,225.  Thats about 5K in options, not 7K.  They are not that different that they wont be cross shopped.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I said that the BMW would need a $7,000 option to be comparably-equipped to the SC (I was referring to the convertible top).

BMWDave

I see now.  But ultimately, buyers will cross shop the SC and 645ci coupe.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI see now.  But ultimately, buyers will cross shop the SC and 645ci coupe.
Never disagreed with that. But do you not agree that a 645Ci is some $12K more than a comparably-equipped SC?

BMWDave

QuoteI see now.  But ultimately, buyers will cross shop the SC and 645ci coupe.
Never disagreed with that. But do you not agree that a 645Ci is some $12K more than a comparably-equipped SC?
We differ on our views of 'comparably equipped.'  Some buyers may consider them comparably equipped simply because of the amazing top the Lexus has.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

We differ on our views of 'comparably equipped.'  Some buyers may consider them comparably equipped simply because of the amazing top the Lexus has.
I don't consider the 645Ci coupe comparably-equipped to the SC, it doesn't have an option where you can put the roof into the trunk for open-top motoring. You have to fork over an additional $7k for that.

BMWDave

QuoteI see now.? But ultimately, buyers will cross shop the SC and 645ci coupe.
I don't consider the 645Ci coupe comparably-equipped to the SC, it doesn't have an option where you can put the roof into the trunk for open-top motoring. You have to fork over an additional $7k for that.
What I'm saying is that some buyers will consider them comparably equipped simply because of the metal roof on the SC.  Basically, some buyers wont buy the SC because it is a convertible, but rather for other reasons, simply because they like it better than the other coupes in the market.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

What I'm saying is that some buyers will consider them comparably equipped simply because of the metal roof on the SC.  Basically, some buyers wont buy the SC because it is a convertible, but rather for other reasons, simply because they like it better than the other coupes in the market.
Right, you can treat it either as a coupe or as a convertible. And I'm treating it as a convertible, and comparing it to the BMW 6-Series convertible, which costs $12K more.

BMWDave

QuoteI see now.? But ultimately, buyers will cross shop the SC and 645ci coupe.
Right, you can treat it either as a coupe or as a convertible. And I'm treating it as a convertible, and comparing it to the BMW 6-Series convertible, which costs $12K more.
To each his own ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

But if you treat them as coupes than the 645 doesn't have to have that $7000 option to be comparably equipped to the SC430. You treat them as convertible if you want to, but you don't have to force your logic on everybody that disagrees.

ifcar

But if you treat them as coupes than the 645 doesn't have to have that $7000 option to be comparably equipped to the SC430. You treat them as convertible if you want to, but you don't have to force your logic on everybody that disagrees.
Even as a coupe it's less expensive, and as a coupe it's a coupe with a retractable roof, so it has more features than the 6.  

TBR

Even as a coupe it's less expensive, and as a coupe it's a coupe with a retractable roof, so it has more features than the 6.
I don't think a different body style can be considered a feature.