Charger Hemi Police

Started by Catman, March 30, 2006, 04:21:10 PM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Atomic

I attended a Law Enforcement Expo today.  I got there early and noticed the Magnum sitting there right away.  While I was speaking to the sales rep he suggested I give the Charger a drive.   There were a few people putting it through its paces and it was due back shortly.  I waited about ten minutes when the Charger pictured above turned the corner occupied by three plain clothed officers wearing huge grins.  I signed the waiver, took the keys and jumped in.  A guy from another department grabbed the shotgun position.

When I fist jumped in it felt weird because the the door sills and cowl are so high compared to the CVPI.  It actually feels like your in a vault.  Visibility is diminished to an extent but the weird feeling disappeared in minutes.  The back seat is a little on the tight side but certainly acceptable (better than the Impala).  Headroom, leg room, shoulder room and hip room were perfectly adequate for me and I found the actual driving position better than the CVPI.  The column shifter is like an afterthought but who cares the Hemi was calling me... :praise:

We pulled out of the lot and headed for the highway.  Any feeling of weirdness was totally gone as I pulled out of the lot.  My new partner says, "Dude if you want to do some doughnuts in it I won't tell anyone".  I pull onto the on ramp and punch it.  This motor is all torque.  No neck snapping shifts just a huge amount of linear power that pushed you back in the seat.  I suspect the final gear is a bit higher than the civilian model.  Shortly after putting the hammer down the needle was at 100.  We got in the left lane and I asked my passenger if he felt like we were doing 100.  "Nope", was the answer, cool as could be.  I punched it and 130 was right there.  I asked, "How about that"?  My passenger was amazed how uneventful it was.  There was plenty of more power on tap but that was enough fun for today.  The sales guy told me that the car is limited to 149.  In my opinion it could do a lot more.  I would guess over 160.  

Handling is rock solid.  No drifting, wagging or any type of instability whatsoever.  Exit ramps are a joke, it would take a lot of wheel to hear the tires squealing in this thing.  brakes are fantastic.

We're very curious to see how this car holds up over the long haul.  If it proves durable I suspect the sales numbers will increase accordingly.  The car is leagues better than the CVPI in almost every performance dynamic.  It makes the CVPI feel like a horse drawn carriage.
dude, shouldn't this be under driving the law  :wtf: ??? i'm so excited about catman's report  :clap: ! he is the master of this topic  :wave: ! yes! he's the pro  :lol: ! cat, no inflated head,   :rockon: k?! lol!

catman, great thread! HONESTLY  :praise: !!!

Catman

Settle down Atomic. :ph34r:  

Atomic

QuoteSettle down Atomic. :ph34r:
okay! i'm off on cloud nine  :blink: !

Run Away

There was one at the local auto show this weekend:

hounddog

We were told by the DC reps that brought us our two day test car that the dhifter was designed with the idea that it would not interfere with the equipment, a major complaint with CVPI's that have an MDT.

As for the gas mileage, CVPI gets around 13-15 on average.  Our Charger v8 was averaging anywhere between 18-20.  I usually got 19-20.  The best I got over a period of one week was 20.2.  But that included no idle time as an experiment.  We were able to get as low as 6.  But that was over 8 hours on a traffic detail chasing speeders.  The v6 we used was averaging anywhere between 22-24.  The lowest we got with that on the same detail was 15.  

Catman, your statement regarding the CVPI handling like a horse drawn wagon in comparison to the the Charger is just about the most defining statement I have seen yet.  I like the CVPI, but it is NO MATCH for either version of the Charger.  But that's just my opinion.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Catman

QuoteWe were told by the DC reps that brought us our two day test car that the dhifter was designed with the idea that it would not interfere with the equipment, a major complaint with CVPI's that have an MDT.

As for the gas mileage, CVPI gets around 13-15 on average.  Our Charger v8 was averaging anywhere between 18-20.  I usually got 19-20.  The best I got over a period of one week was 20.2.  But that included no idle time as an experiment.  We were able to get as low as 6.  But that was over 8 hours on a traffic detail chasing speeders.  The v6 we used was averaging anywhere between 22-24.  The lowest we got with that on the same detail was 15.  

Catman, your statement regarding the CVPI handling like a horse drawn wagon in comparison to the the Charger is just about the most defining statement I have seen yet.  I like the CVPI, but it is NO MATCH for either version of the Charger.  But that's just my opinion.
I'm thankful for the input.  I wanted to let my chief know about the mileage as fuel has been killing our budget this year.  Even with the V6 it seems there's no giving up any performance.  Same performance (engine) and better mileage.  The only unknown is durability.  I'm curious to see how the front ends feels at 50,000 miles.

hounddog

I think you'ld be pleasanltly surprosed as we were with a v6.  Also, if the front end goes wobbly, repair it!  Then it will be solid again.

Did anyone else notice in the picture of the Canadian Charger in the bottom right there is a picture of an older charger?  MAN, was that FUGLY! :wacko:  
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Catman

QuoteI think you'ld be pleasanltly surprosed as we were with a v6.  Also, if the front end goes wobbly, repair it!  Then it will be solid again.

Did anyone else notice in the picture of the Canadian Charger in the bottom right there is a picture of an older charger?  MAN, was that FUGLY! :wacko:
I agree, those are the Chrysler years we'd all like to forget.

JYODER240

Those almost make me want to become a cop. I can't wait untill I see one on the road.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

QuoteThose almost make me want to become a cop. I can't wait untill I see one on the road.
That makes you want to be a cop?  I'd want to be a cop because of the gun and the ability to shoot people whenever I want!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteLOL, so true.
Yes, yes!  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

^ Catman never posted that...

JYODER240

QuoteThose almost make me want to become a cop. I can't wait untill I see one on the road.
That makes you want to be a cop?  I'd want to be a cop because of the gun and the ability to shoot people whenever I want!
nah, I'd live for the high speed chases B)  

Raza

Quote^ Catman never posted that...
Catman never posted what?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sparkplug

The duty of police is to protect and serve. Shooting people means weeks of paperwork and possible criminals and civil trials.  

thewizard16

True. Trials are annoying and can damage image, but if you've got good enough lawyer friends and aren't an idiot, shouldn't be a problem. Paperwork on the other hand... no fun. Time consuming. It's just not worth the bullet.  :D  Still, I have no desire to be in law enforcement. I respect most that are willing to go into that field, but it's just not for me.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

mybrid

Catman U [/size] [/font]:rockon:  :pullover:  :rockon:
Great story of your first day with the New Sheriff![/font] It's great to hear the smile on your face.
Here is a link of some Chargers on the streets already. Canada Police
Magnum

It seems as they are shipping north but I have yet to see any HEMI's.
I'll post more as soon as I can (my #1 site is having problems and is currently down.).

Enjoy!  :pullover:  :pullover:
:ph34r:  :D  B)  :wave:
Yield, Follow or get out of the way, cause the Charger P/P is in the rearview![/size][/font]

Catman

QuoteCatman U [/size] [/font]:rockon:  :pullover:  :rockon:
Great story of your first day with the New Sheriff![/font] It's great to hear the smile on your face.
Here is a link of some Chargers on the streets already. Canada Police
Magnum

It seems as they are shipping north but I have yet to see any HEMI's.
I'll post more as soon as I can (my #1 site is having problems and is currently down.).

Enjoy!  :pullover:  :pullover:
:ph34r:  :D  B)  :wave:
Cool pics.  We might get some 3.5L's next year.  They have the same power as the Ford V8 with much better fuel mileage.

mybrid

Better than that, the Dodges have the best brakes in the police car market, overall better handing some of which is by advanced electronics and most importantly safer occupant protection!
Yield, Follow or get out of the way, cause the Charger P/P is in the rearview![/size][/font]

mybrid

:pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:
News Break!!!!!!!! :ph34r:
OrSP buying 45 Chargers!!! :thumbsup:
Link:OrSP
And yes they all have HEMI's!!!

As always enjoy!
:wub:  :D  B)  :wave:  

JYODER240

Quote:pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:

As always enjoy!
:wub:  :D  B)  :wave:
He must be atomic's brother.

Catman

Quote:pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:

As always enjoy!
:wub:  :D  B)  :wave:
He must be atomic's brother.
:lol: Atomic is smiley crazy!

mybrid

:wave:  :P  :hammerhead:  :rage:  :thumbsup:  :rockon:   :wave:  

Raghavan

Quote:wave:  :P  :hammerhead:  :rage:  :thumbsup:  :rockon:   :wave:
:hammerhead:  

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mybrid

:thumbsup:  :pullover:  :wave:
I'm back!!! :wave:   :D   :wave:
I just can't let this link die just yet.   :P  :P
:rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  

omicron

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i