Production Aura pic

Started by ifcar, April 07, 2006, 04:27:13 PM

ifcar

SJ_GTI

ifcar

Why do you say that? That hp doesn't seem off for the 3.6-liter V6.

SJ_GTI

I'll bet you a bajillion dollars it uses a pushrod engine.  :devil:  

bobwill

248hp, according to the bottom left of that picture, I'm not aware of GM using a 248hp pushrod engine in any of their cars.  It does seem closer to a detuned 3.6L.

JYODER240

QuotePusgrod engine.  :banghead:
poor GM :(  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Catman

It looks good.  I hope this is a new car and not just a shell because the Impala I rented didn't have very good interior packaging.

SJ_GTI

QuoteIt looks good.  I hope this is a new car and not just a shell because the Impala I rented didn't have very good interior packaging.
Its based on the Pontiac G6. As far as packaging the G6 is actually pretty good, though the roofline is a bit low which hurts headroom (the price of styling).

I hope they retune the suspension on this thing. If it handles like a 9-3 it has a shot at winning some comparisons, but if its just another G6 (which is most likely) it will be dead on arrival.

SJ_GTI

As for styling the tones down look make it remind me of the Mazda 6. Its not bad looking, but I don't think its going to be able to sell on styling like alot of people thought when they debuted the concept.

SJ_GTI

Huh. Makes you wonder why they changed the bumper?

The Vectra has the exact same bumper as the concept.

cozmik

Quote248hp, according to the bottom left of that picture, I'm not aware of GM using a 248hp pushrod engine in any of their cars.  It does seem closer to a detuned 3.6L.
The 3.9L Pushrod produces power in that range.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

ifcar

QuoteI'll bet you a bajillion dollars it uses a pushrod engine.  :devil:
If you're basing that on the GMI story, it's been denied by an insider.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteI'll bet you a bajillion dollars it uses a pushrod engine.  :devil:
If you're basing that on the GMI story, it's been denied by an insider.
I'll bet you a TEN bajillion dollars then!

Raza

Huh. Makes you wonder why they changed the bumper?

The Vectra has the exact same bumper as the concept.
I read a comparison in Evo, Vectra VXR v. 330i v. Evo FQ320 v. STI...and while the Vectra was the slowest, they all loved it so much, and said it's easily as good a choice as any of the others, and not a single car was able to leave the Vectra, in straights the Evo pulled a bit, but not even in hard corners were they able to leave the VXR behind.

If the Aura drives like that, Saturn may be turning around.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ciciusss

QuoteI'll bet you a bajillion dollars it uses a pushrod engine.  :devil:
If you're basing that on the GMI story, it's been denied by an
IFCAR,

Actually there were three GM insiders who stated the original thread on the Aura was in error. It appears the Aura will come in two trim lines, the XE and the XR, offered with the 3.5 V6 with VVT and 3.6 HF V6 respectively. The engines HP output is rumored to be for the 3.5, 230 HP and for the 3.6, 250+ HP. Both trim lines are supposed to have "European sport's tuned" hydraulic power steering. Some of the more aggressive features that appeared on the concept are supposedly reserved for the redline Aura.

ciciusss

IFCAR,

My bad, somehow I accidently chopped off your quote.

ifcar

Then why does it list 248 horsepower on the image? Is that wrong, or is the 3.6-liter just less powerful than they expected?

ciciusss

QuoteThen why does it list 248 horsepower on the image? Is that wrong, or is the 3.6-liter just less powerful than they expected?
IFCAR,

I have heard a figure for the 3.6 V6 to be 252. I know the image has 248, which in the grand scheme of things is not that much. What is interesting is that the 3.5 which puts out 211 HP in the Impala is suppose to be around 230 HP with the Aura. Unless GM has really tweaked this engine, that too is hard to believe. I only mention it because it did come from a source who has proven quite reliable over the years. I guess it is all speculation. We will find out this coming week for sure.

ifcar

ifcar

One more time with an Opel feeling? The new Saturn Aura is a mid-size sedan, due this summer as the brand's second attempt at expanding into a segment long dominated by the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, after the unlamented and cancelled L-Series. The Aura is based on the Epsilon mid-size car platform shared with the Opel Vectra, but built in the U.S. A 3.5-liter V-6 with variable valve timing (VVT) is standard, while there's an optional more powerful 3.6-liter DOHC V-6 with VVTi. The 3.6-liter engine is mated to a new, six-speed automatic transmission - the first GM product to receive what is called a performance-oriented, fuel-saving gearbox. Later in the 2007 model year, an Aura hybrid model will become available. It uses a four-cylinder-based mild hybrid powertrain similar to the Saturn Vue Green Line appearing this summer. The Vue hybrid is predicted to be the lowest-cost hybrid-powered SUV in the market, starting at less than $23,000, and offering fuel economy improvements of about 20 percent in stop-and-go driving estimated by GM at 27 mpg city. It uses a combination electric motor/generator mated to a 2.4-liter VVT four-cylinder engine and four-speed automatic transmission. Efficiency is increased by engine shut-off at idle, fuel cut-off during deceleration, electric power assist during acceleration, and regenerative braking.

SJ_GTI

Looks much nicer than I expected after seeing that first shot.

The interior is fantastic!

Any idea how much the 3.6L Aura will be yet?

ifcar

No official word yet. I'd expect a starting price in the mid-to-high $20k range, topping out around $30k fully optioned.  

Raza

So, it's a Vectra, but with no VXR, no manual, no manual shift automatic, AND cheesy fake wood trim?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

QuoteSo, it's a Vectra, but with ... no manual shift automatic...
The one pictured has a manumatic...

TBR

Very nice, if the price is reasonable and they don't fool with the Opel mechanicals too much (like they did with the L-series) then this could be a very awesome car. Now hopefully they will offer a Redline version with the G6 GTP's 6-speed.

BMWDave

I cant help but notice how the wood trim is mismatched, where the dash meets the doors.    

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Ouch...sure enough. Hopefully it will just be a preproduction error or, if this is a CGI (anti_analog could probably tell), a human error.

93JC

QuoteVery nice, if the price is reasonable and they don't fool with the Opel mechanicals too much (like they did with the L-series) then this could be a very awesome car.
:blink:

From a mechanical point of view the L-series was a very faithful carry-over from the Vectra. (even used the 54? V6)

93JC

QuoteOuch...sure enough. Hopefully it will just be a preproduction error or, if this is a CGI (anti_analog could probably tell), a human error.
Oh this is CGI... And preproduction. Frankly, whoever doctored these photos should be fired for letting the misaligned wood slip by.