What PSI?

Started by JYODER240, April 11, 2006, 08:30:15 PM

JYODER240

I went to get my oil changed today and they said the set my tire pressure to 50psi. Does this sound way to high to anyone else? I run 225/40/18 and normally have them at 35psi.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Speed_Racer

Wow...that sounds rediculously high. 35 seems about right for a low profile tire like that.

On my 205/40/17s, I run about 38psi.

Rupert

Jesus, yeah, that's high! There should be a sticker in the door area that will give you the recommended pressure. I generally would use that, assuming that pressure isn't out of the range given on the sidewall of the tires.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

I've never had 18s, but on my 225/50/16s I ran 30, and on my 195/65/15s I run 35 (as per manufacturer's recommendation).  Look in your book, gas cap, or door sill and see what you should be running.

50 sounds quite high, though.

I think it has more to do sidewall height than all out size, anyway.  But 50 seems too high.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

^ the wheels are 2" larger than whats stock, so I don't think that sticker applies.

Raza

QuoteJesus, yeah, that's high! There should be a sticker in the door area that will give you the recommended pressure. I generally would use that, assuming that pressure isn't out of the range given on the sidewall of the tires.
The range on my E320 was somewhere between 28 and 32, I think 35 and 50 seems like a bit of a stretch.  

I say check it with your gauge, and then let some air out, or avoid potholes like your life depended on it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

50?! Holy mother of crap, no!

30-33ish, ballpark.

saxonyron

I ran the same tires on my A6.  The car weighed 3,800 lbs and around 60% was on the front tires, so call it 2,300 lbs.  That's a lot of weight.  I ran 38 PSI front, 35 rear.  50 PSI could easily cause a blowout - these tires need have stiff sidewalls.  They need to flex a little, and stuffing so much air in their would cause a bubble or worse.  Something has to give when the tire hits a pothole! Sounds like your shop monkey needs to stick to changing oil and should lay off the hallucinagenics!

BTW, do you need a couple Toyo Proxes 4's with about 75% tread left?  Those tires kick ass and not whey're collecting dust in my garage.  :lol:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

footoflead

QuoteI've never had 18s, but on my 225/50/16s I ran 30, and on my 195/65/15s I run 35 (as per manufacturer's recommendation).  Look in your book, gas cap, or door sill and see what you should be running.

I think it has more to do sidewall height than all out size, anyway.  But 50 seems too high.
No because the truck and the mustang run similar PSI's
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

JYODER240

Thanks for the offer but my car is gone in 2 months and i'm selling the wheels and tires on ebay.

Raza

QuoteI've never had 18s, but on my 225/50/16s I ran 30, and on my 195/65/15s I run 35 (as per manufacturer's recommendation).  Look in your book, gas cap, or door sill and see what you should be running.

I think it has more to do sidewall height than all out size, anyway.  But 50 seems too high.
No because the truck and the mustang run similar PSI's
Truck tires and car tires are different.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

footoflead

50psi..holy mother of god...danger danger....danger will robinson, oh wait..wrong name, sorry but seriously dude let some air out of those bad boys

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

JYODER240

Isn't like 70psi used to seat the bead? I always couldn't beleive it when I heard them say 50.

saxonyron

QuoteThanks for the offer but my car is gone in 2 months and i'm selling the wheels and tires on ebay.
Hell, I would have rolled them from NH to Ohio!  OK, maybe not!  I ought to sell these off on Ebay too - too much of a PITA to do it, though.  Maybe my wife who luxuriates around the house all day could turn that deal for me.  :rockon:  I got 4 more tires, the slightly damaged BBS 18" rims, 4 OEM A6 springs - my garage will be looking redneck if I don't get all that crap out of there.  :blink:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

What's the size of the Toyos?  I may need them in a little while.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

Inflate them to 30psi.

Put some chalk on the sidewall, covering from the ground to the rim.

Go take a few hard corners.

Check your sidewalls, if chalk has been rubbed off inflate them more and repeat till the chalk is no longer getting rubbed off.

JYODER240

Thanks for the tip RunAway. I just set them all to 34psi, I read the sidewall and it says never exceed 40psi when seating the bead, and those morons put them at 50!

footoflead

QuoteThanks for the tip RunAway. I just set them all to 34psi, I read the sidewall and it says never exceed 40psi when seating the bead, and those morons put them at 50!
:ph34r:

holy tire pressure batman!

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

saxonyron

QuoteWhat's the size of the Toyos?  I may need them in a little while.
225 40 18's, just like JYoDeR's - but I only have 2. Are you gonna trick out the Passat?  :lol:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteWhat's the size of the Toyos?  I may need them in a little while.
225 40 18's, just like JYoDeR's - but I only have 2. Are you gonna trick out the Passat?  :lol:
Hehe...if all goes as planned (how many times have I said that?) the Passat will (somewhat regrettably) leave my possession around the end of the summer, unless something comes along (like the new TT) that makes wait.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

QuoteThanks for the offer but my car is gone in 2 months and i'm selling the wheels and tires on ebay.
Whate are you replacing it with?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

JYODER240

The GTO, 350Z, Mustang GT, S2000, RX-8, and 330i are all in the running. Although, i'm leaning towards the 350Z.

Fire It Up

350Z over a GTO?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

JYODER240

I know the GTO is a great car it just does nothing for me, maybe that will change after a test drive.

Laconian

Go out and test it. Raza's perception of the GTO changed drastically after he drove it.

It won't be around for much longer, so who knows, depreciation might be kind to it due to its relative rarity (at least as far as domestics are concerned.)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

Hmm...I want a GTO.

JYODER240

I'm going to have a hard time getting over the GTO's exterior.

Raza

QuoteI'm going to have a hard time getting over the GTO's exterior.
I think it looks brilliant, if anything the 350Z is a bit childish.  

If I had to choose between the 350Z and the GTO, I know what I'd go with every time.  The GTO is the car that made the STI boring.

I mean, the 350Z is a quick car, but it's not easily moddified, so even after dumping four or five grand into it, the GTO will still run circles around it.  The power will scare you, considering you've never had a RWD car before, but you'll get used to it (or die).  

All in all the GTO is a better car than the 350Z and RX-8, and most certainly more exciting than the 330i.  It's also cheaper than the 350 and the 330.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteI'm going to have a hard time getting over the GTO's exterior.
I think it looks brilliant, if anything the 350Z is a bit childish.  

If I had to choose between the 350Z and the GTO, I know what I'd go with every time.  The GTO is the car that made the STI boring.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I agree the 350Z's styling is a bit juvenile especialy with its way-too-high beltline but it seems like it has a lot of strenghts and not many weaknesses. The GTO is a very strong car but its styling is too bland IMO and those fake hoodscoops are ridiculous. I don't plan on doing many mods if any at all so thats not really a factor.