The Toyota Camry thread

Started by ifcar, May 25, 2005, 05:40:13 PM

Which choice matches your opinion the closest?

It truly is an excellent car, worthy of its high sales and reviewers' praise.
6 (28.6%)
It is a decent car, but not as good as it's made out to be.
14 (66.7%)
It is simply an awful vehicle, there is no good reason that it is popular and critically-acclaimed.
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

ifcar

I could never make such a thread on C/D, but even here I suspect opinions will be strong. I know that there would be at least one member here to agree with each poll choice, with strong and intelligent opinions coming from all sides.

Go for it.  :rockon:  

Catman

I think it's a decent family vehicle that demands no attention, negative or positive.  People like innocuous cars that don't cause them any issues.  Even an errant squeek can distract someone from their daily routing.  A camry is good because it does a good job without calling attention to itself.  If you ever talk to a Camry owner they praise it for being trouble free for XXXX miles.  That's what they want and expect and it's their standard of a good value.  Can't blame them.

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Fire It Up

"It truly is an excellent car, worthy of its high sales and reviewers' praise." I assume you voted there ifcar?  :rolleyes:  :lol:  

ifcar

Quote"It truly is an excellent car, worthy of its high sales and reviewers' praise." I assume you voted there ifcar?  :rolleyes:  :lol:
Of course.

While it's not an excellent car from an enthusiast's standpoint, it stands out for its simple refinement, comfort, and reliability. I wouldn't buy it, but it is an excellent vehicle choice for the needs of many consumers. Which tends to be what reviewers say, and tends to be the reason so many people buy it every year.  

Raghavan

don't think it's as good as people make it out to be.  <_<  

93JC

It's not "bad" per se, but it's not particularly "good".

"Mediocre" might sound a little harsh, but that's the single most accurate description I can think of.

Catman

QuoteIt's not "bad" per se, but it's not particularly "good".

"Mediocre" might sound a little harsh, but that's the single most accurate description I can think of.
How's the iMac?

93JC

Uhh... what iMac...?

Thinking of Jeepguy01?  :lol:

(I haven't used an Apple in almost ten years. The last Apple I liked was the MacIntosh Classic:

)

Catman

LOL, yeah, I always get you two confused. :P  

MaxPower

QuoteIf you ever talk to a Camry owner they praise it for being trouble free for XXXX miles.  That's what they want and expect and it's their standard of a good value.  Can't blame them.
Haha, my finacee exactly.  217,000 and counting, trouble free (60k are hers)!

I think they are really good cars, although vanilla.  She want's to buy another one once the '92 dies, but I'm trying to persuade her otherwise.  Maybe the SE model, on looks and the V6, would be more fun, but I don't know.

As a reliable family hauler for an average size family it does a good job

BMWDave

I think its a great car...much more reliable than anything in its class, but I would take a Ford 500 over it...looks better (subjective) and has a nicer interior with lots of room.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteI think its a great car...much more reliable than anything in its class, but I would take a Ford 500 over it...looks better (subjective) and has a nicer interior with lots of room.
I'd say that the Honda Accord is pretty damn close to being as reliable as the Camry, and it's a lot more fun to drive, too!

BMWDave

QuoteI think its a great car...much more reliable than anything in its class, but I would take a Ford 500 over it...looks better (subjective) and has a nicer interior with lots of room.
I'd say that the Honda Accord is pretty damn close to being as reliable as the Camry, and it's a lot more fun to drive, too!
Fun to drive, yes, and its probably almost as reliable.  But the styling is frumpy, although it is growing on me.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

Fun to drive, yes, and its probably almost as reliable.  But the styling is frumpy, although it is growing on me.
My previous gen Accord (my mom's actually, i just use it the most) looks much better. Now, if only it weren't FWD AND auto. :(  

Fire It Up

Its not that it would be more fun, just less boring. (unless its a manual.)

Raghavan

Less boring = more fun. ;)  

Fire It Up

Still yawnable though.

socalcookie

I've driven one before.  It's not a bad car. Silent on the freeway, decent power, comfortable ride.  Just what people want.  
For enthusiasts however, the seats don't support hard cornering, there is too much sensory deprivation.
A Camry is the only midsize sedan i've ever driven, so I can't compare it to the Accord/Altima/6. :(  

Raghavan

Still yawnable though.
Relatively speaking. ;)  

ifcar

Honda's typical product cycle suggests an 06 update coming later this summer, and based on spy pics, it should be a serious restyle.  

SargeMonkey

215k miles and still going, it the all-track. Toyota makes good cars.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

mazda6er

Excuse me, but you're calling the Accord's styling frumpy in comparison to a Camry's styling? I don't know about that one. Both are very good cars, both (especially the Toyota) are a bit overhyped.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

Honda's typical product cycle suggests an 06 update coming later this summer, and based on spy pics, it should be a serious restyle.
Could you post a few spy pics of the Accord freshening, or give us a link? I haven't seen anything about that. Of course, I don't subscribe to any magazines...
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

It is a decent car, but I really don't consider it to be any more refined than an Altima, Accord, or even our '04 Outback. It isn't particularly quiet and doesn't have a spectacular ride. A snooze on wheels, but I guess it works for some people.

Laconian

An excellent commuter vehicle. It provides a fair amount of isolation from the crappy gridlock around you, with ergonomics and a power train that do their job well enough that you hardly ever notice them.

190k, major accident, but still going strong!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Could you post a few spy pics of the Accord freshening, or give us a link? I haven't seen anything about that. Of course, I don't subscribe to any magazines...
There hasn't been anything official, but here are some blurry spy photos:

FlatBlackCaddy

The camry seems to be a wonderful car.

I have no personal experience with them and probobly never will, so my view of the car is nothing more than a percieved image i get from visiting forums and reading auto magazines.

Car Zeus

The Camry is freaking ugly and I'm a diehard Toyota fan. I also think the new Honda Accord is butt ugly also!

However it does a good job at being vanilla to most American's (non offensive) and is quite durable.

Raza

After driving one hard, I'd prefer to stay away from it as a driver or a passenger until they drastically revise the suspension.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.