Ford Freestyle

Started by Catman, May 27, 2005, 01:52:34 AM

Catman

I think it is.  The packaging is excellent as is the quality of construction.  But damn, Ford should have had the 3.5L ready when the car came out.

BMWDave

Is this the car you want to get?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

You know my vote.  

City Pig

I was looking at one of those when I was shopping around. I think it's the perfect package for someone like me. The only problem was that the sales guys (and gals) didn't even LOOK at me even though I was all over the one in the showroom....Sitting in it, flipping seats, etc. So no test drive or anything. I guess a 32 year old male with a wife, dog and kids (in the near future) isn't their target market....

From what I can see the only real issues with it are the CVT and the lack of power. That's what all the reviewers complain about. But what do they know anyway.

However, I'm sure glad they ignored me so I could get the 6.

mazda6er

I agree, I really like what Ford has done with the Freestyle. It's pretty good looking too.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

QuoteIs this the car you want to get?
No, not yet anyway.  We're still playing the wait and see game with my wifes job, etc.  Anyway, I doubt I would get a new Freestyle as it wouldn't solve the financial issue.

TBR

Calling it a crossover is a bit of a stretch, it is nothing more than a station wagon with a slightly body lift, similar to the Outback really. But, I do consider it to be one of the best family vehicles on the market and is a great value to boot.  

Catman

QuoteCalling it a crossover is a bit of a stretch, it is nothing more than a station wagon with a slightly body lift, similar to the Outback really. But, I do consider it to be one of the best family vehicles on the market and is a great value to boot.
Yeah, it might be a stretch but it has the AWD, cargo room and utility that most people look for in an SUV so what the hell. ;)   One thing is does better is mileage and something often overlooked in SUV's and that's roof access.  Getting a kayak, bike or storage box on and off the roof looks like a breeze on this car.  I hope they get the 3.5 in there soon though.

ifcar

No, not yet anyway.  We're still playing the wait and see game with my wifes job, etc.  Anyway, I doubt I would get a new Freestyle as it wouldn't solve the financial issue.
I thought that one of your choices was to trade in the Sequioa for a $20k daily driver. And you can get a Freestyle SE FWD in that price range.  

Raghavan

From what I can see the only real issues with it are the CVT
what's wrong with the CVT???

Raghavan

One question: will Ford ever make an SVT version of this thing? the 4.6 V8 (or even 5.4  :praise: ) would be great in a RWD or AWD package.

SJ_GTI

QuoteCalling it a crossover is a bit of a stretch, it is nothing more than a station wagon with a slightly body lift, similar to the Outback really. But, I do consider it to be one of the best family vehicles on the market and is a great value to boot.
Yeah, it might be a stretch but it has the AWD, cargo room and utility that most people look for in an SUV so what the hell. ;)   One thing is does better is mileage and something often overlooked in SUV's and that's roof access.  Getting a kayak, bike or storage box on and off the roof looks like a breeze on this car.  I hope they get the 3.5 in there soon though.
I was surprised when I started seeing these on the road. The are really big, and it definitely looks like an SUV despite what its underpinnings.

Its as much an SUV as an RX300, MDX, X3, Equinox, etc...at least in my opinion.

ifcar

From what I can see the only real issues with it are the CVT
what's wrong with the CVT???
He may be concerned about first-year reliability problems from an all-new transmission design, which isn't unreasonable at all.

ifcar

QuoteOne question: will Ford ever make an SVT version of this thing? the 4.6 V8 (or even 5.4  :praise: ) would be great in a RWD or AWD package.
I have to hope that you're kidding. An "RWD package" on a FWD vehicle?  :rolleyes:  

Raghavan

QuoteOne question: will Ford ever make an SVT version of this thing? the 4.6 V8 (or even 5.4  :praise: ) would be great in a RWD or AWD package.
I have to hope that you're kidding. An "RWD package" on a FWD vehicle?  :rolleyes:
same body on a different platform. Freestyle only in looks, and besides, there's been lots of FWD to RWD conversions, and Ford can do it too. After all, they made the Ford Racing Focus RS. ;)  

ifcar

QuoteOne question: will Ford ever make an SVT version of this thing? the 4.6 V8 (or even 5.4  :praise: ) would be great in a RWD or AWD package.
same body on a different platform. Freestyle only in looks, and besides, there's been lots of FWD to RWD conversions, and Ford can do it too. After all, they made the Ford Racing Focus RS. ;)
Or, they could spend their money building something that people would actually want to buy.  :rolleyes:

Try to think before you post. Which Ford RWD platform did you think a Freestyle body would fit on without extremely costly modification, and how high do you think that the sales volume would have to be to justify that expense?

Raghavan

Or, they could spend their money building something that people would actually want to buy.  :rolleyes:

Try to think before you post. Which Ford RWD platform did you think a Freestyle body would fit on without extremely costly modification, and how high do you think that the sales volume would have to be to justify that expense?
they can make a different bodied version and base it on the mustang's platform (like a 2 door, although 2 door SUV's aren't very popular.) And you're right, it would be costly, but it was just a possiblility.

ifcar

they can make a different bodied version and base it on the mustang's platform (like a 2 door, although 2 door SUV's aren't very popular.) And you're right, it would be costly, but it was just a possiblility.
Here are the reasons that they would never do that:

1. There is no market for such a vehicle, especially at the price they'd have to charge for it.
2. It would be very expensive to make that vehicle.

Even calling it a possibility is, in short, stupid.  

Raghavan

Here are the reasons that they would never do that:

1. There is no market for such a vehicle, especially at the price they'd have to charge for it.
2. It would be very expensive to make that vehicle.

Even calling it a possibility is, in short, stupid.
it's stupid, but it's soo cool too.
I wonder why 2 door SUV's arent popular. All of them are gone, with the exception of the Exploder. :angry:  :(  

ifcar

The Explorer Sport is no longer in production, and Land Rover, Chevrolet, and Suzuki killed off their two-doors recently as well, leaving only the Jeep Wrangler.  

Raghavan

QuoteThe Explorer Sport is no longer in production, and Land Rover, Chevrolet, and Suzuki killed off their two-doors recently as well, leaving only the Jeep Wrangler.
as well as Isuzu and Nissan less recently. :(  

Catman

I thought that one of your choices was to trade in the Sequioa for a $20k daily driver. And you can get a Freestyle SE FWD in that price range.
If I have to.  Alot of things are up in the air right now, we'll see.

ifcar

QuoteThe Explorer Sport is no longer in production, and Land Rover, Chevrolet, and Suzuki killed off their two-doors recently as well, leaving only the Jeep Wrangler.
Isuzu killed theirs off something like three years ago, and the most recent Nissan that I can think of would be the 1995 Pathfinder.  

Raghavan

Isuzu killed theirs off something like three years ago, and the most recent Nissan that I can think of would be the 1995 Pathfinder.
thus the 'less recently'. ;)
Ithink ford should bring back the Bronco. I'd buy it. :praise:  

BMWDave

The Freelander SE3 really didnt compete with the Wrangler, being that it probably cannot go in a lot of places where the Wrangler can.  The Defender 2 door is a amazing off road vehicle, but sadly, it is not sold in NA anymore.  Anyone know why?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteThe Freelander SE3 really didnt compete with the Wrangler, being that it probably cannot go in a lot of places where the Wrangler can.  The Defender 2 door is a amazing off road vehicle, but sadly, it is not sold in NA anymore.  Anyone know why?
prolly cos it's unreliable, like all LR's are.

93JC

Ten years ago a Defender cost CDN$40,000 new.

It was an ass-reamingly bad deal back then, and it would still be now, as I doubt Land Rover has lowered Defender prices.

BMWDave

QuoteThe Freelander SE3 really didnt compete with the Wrangler, being that it probably cannot go in a lot of places where the Wrangler can.  The Defender 2 door is a amazing off road vehicle, but sadly, it is not sold in NA anymore.  Anyone know why?
I'm sure thats the reason.  I could generalize Honda with stupid statements like that, but then again, I am not a troll and dont provide generalizations for entire companies. :rolleyes:  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteTen years ago a Defender cost CDN$40,000 new.

It was an ass-reamingly bad deal back then, and it would still be now, as I doubt Land Rover has lowered Defender prices.
In Europe, one costs 17K pounds, which is like 33K dollars.  Look, think of it as a strictly utilitarian vehicle, like a Hummer.  You will find its ability to operate under extreme conditions in few other cars.  If I needed a vehicle for hard core off roading, the Defender would be it.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteThe Freelander SE3 really didnt compete with the Wrangler, being that it probably cannot go in a lot of places where the Wrangler can.  The Defender 2 door is a amazing off road vehicle, but sadly, it is not sold in NA anymore.  Anyone know why?
I'm sure thats the reason.  I could generalize Honda with stupid statements like that, but then again, I am not a troll and dont provide generalizations for entire companies. :rolleyes:
and unlike you, dimwit, i can understand what's a joke and what's not. :rolleyes: