IFCAR Comparo: Ultra-Luxury Sedans

Started by ifcar, May 29, 2005, 12:13:27 PM

Raza

Styling is subjective, but design is not.  

To use Robert Cumberford's example, the 300C is a car that is designed well and styled poorly, whereas the the SSR is styled well (somewhat, in his opinion) and designed poorly.  

The subject needs to be addressed.  In my reviews, (though I've yet to do a full blown comparo) I pretty much always address styling and design, whether it be good or bad (Porsche, Scion, whatever).  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteStyling is subjective, but design is not.  

To use Robert Cumberford's example, the 300C is a car that is designed well and styled poorly, whereas the the SSR is styled well (somewhat, in his opinion) and designed poorly.  

The subject needs to be addressed.  In my reviews, (though I've yet to do a full blown comparo) I pretty much always address styling and design, whether it be good or bad (Porsche, Scion, whatever).
Where do you draw the thin line between subjective styling and non subjective "design"?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteStyling is subjective, but design is not. 

The subject needs to be addressed.  In my reviews, (though I've yet to do a full blown comparo) I pretty much always address styling and design, whether it be good or bad (Porsche, Scion, whatever).
Where do you draw the thin line between subjective styling and non subjective "design"?
Design is more mathematical, more proportional.  Take the Mona Lisa:  Great design, bad styling (that is, she's ugly).  Golden rectangles, you know.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

QuoteWhere the heck do you drive all these cars?  Do you have some secret identity or something?!  :o  :lol:
Online, I'm IFCAR, but offline I'm Bill Ford.  :rolleyes:
<_<

Seriously though...how do you get all these chances to drive all these cars?
ditch the car somewhere, dress up nicely, walk into the dealership and request a test-drive. :rolleyes:
Interestingly, there is an art to "acting rich". It's exceptionally good at getting test drives of expensive cars. I've noticed that friendly, but uncompromising, and a bit impatient are often good ways to come across. Acting insulted if they inquire about money helps too. Also, ifcar is right. The rich don't wear suits everywhere, they more often than not seem to dress down. The only billionaire I know wears blue jeans and a polo shirt everywhere. I mean, dress nice, but not formal nice.

That said, I REALLY want to go drive the cars from this test.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.