***Testdrove another 500-hp Mercedes CL600 & C200 Kompressor!***

Started by cawimmer430, September 21, 2006, 07:10:53 AM

cawimmer430

:praise:  :rockon:

I was able to testdrive another Mercedes CL600 with the twin-turbo V12 engine! This occurred 5 days ago but I am only posting it now because I finally finished the review.

Link: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2101832932

So I go up to the Mercedes-Benz dealership to enquire if there are any other cars that I can possibly testdrive in the future. Since I had worked for these guys last summer, I am on good terms with the guys up there.

One of them, a Mr. Adi Ruhaltinger, asked me if I had to time to help him deliver a car to a customer in Trostberg, about 30 minutes away from here. Sure, I had time for this so we proceed outside and he opens up a black Mercedes CL600 with the biturbo V12 engine and 800 Nm (590 lb/ft) of torque. Oh man! Too bad that whomever ordered this CL had all the badges removed.

Mr. Ruhaltinger throws me the keys to the car I will have to use to follow him: a brand new 2006 Mercedes C200 Kompressor C-Class 5-speed automatic, his current company car. I start the car up and proceed to follow him off the lot.

I?ve driven the C200 Kompressor before and it?s a decent car. This one felt like a typical facelifted C-Class. Solid, compact and sporty. The steering was direct and the feedback was very good. The suspension on this model was a little sturdier since it was an Avantgarde model. The engine was decent. It?s not a 2-liter but a 1.8-liter 4-cylinder with Twinpulse (for smoothness) and a supercharger. There was always a delay when you hammered the car, I called it ?supercharger-lag?. It wasn?t such a bother but it took awhile (a second or two)  before the engine responded. Still, once it got going, the acceleration was fluid and not slow at all. Decent car, though I think the C180 Kompressor is a tad more responsive and feels a little more eager despite 20-less horsepower. Loved the interior color combination though. The interior isn?t class leading, but the materials are good and a big improvement over the original W203 C-Class. Loved the rims on this thing.

The drive to Trostberg was pretty uneventful. Mr. Ruhaltinger didn?t push the CL600 like a madman so I had no trouble keeping up. However, on a few occasions, he let her rip and I slammed the C200 Kompressor in the hopes of not loosing sight since I had no idea where the customer lived whose CL600 we were delivering. The C200 Kompressor was clearly no match for the CL600?s brute power, but I did have the advantage in curves do to the C200K?s excellent steering feedback and sporty suspension.

Halfway through the job, we switched cars. I got behind the wheel of the 500-horsepower CL600 and adjusted the seat position and mirrors. Then I made the first mistake: put the car into D, and lightly tapped the pedal. BIG MISTAKE. This thing has 800 Nm (590 lb/ft) of torque! The CL600 jumped forward a bit but the force was enough to push me into the plush leather seats ? and not softly I should add. Torque monster! Once I got the hang of driving this thing, I was able to slip out my video camera, fall a bit behind, slam the car and take some videos while at the same time catching up to the C200 Kompressor. Boy this thing was fun as hell. Everytime you slammed it, you were thrown back into the seat with such brute force, it was almost madness! Incidentally, I never slammed the car from a stop, because traction would have been a b*tch with those rear tires and that insane amount of torque. Also, this was a customer car, and I was abusing it enough already!

Oh yeah, we left M?hldorf with a full fuel tank and arrived with the tank ? full! That?s how thirsty this thing was, especially since I also hammered it all the time.

A few words on the other aspects of the CL600. The steering was light but offered enough feedback, however it didn?t feel very sporty as could be expected. The suspension was quite soft. Sturdy enough to take some sporty driving, but clearly tuned for comfort and cruising. The brakes were really good ? they sure had to be with such ferocious acceleration and power that can bring you up to high speeds in no time.

So we arrived at the owner?s house. A large farm on the outskirts of Trostberg in the middle of a large plain field. He had a large garage where we were supposed to drive the car in. Mr. Ruhaltinger and I switched rides again and he drove the CL600 into the garage behind a classic Mercedes: a late 1960s W108 S-Class, a base model 250S in what appeared to be a very rare Ikonengold (Icon gold) color with a sexy red leather interior. The car only had 12,000 km (7,500 miles) on the odometer. The farmer?s son appeared and I asked the guy if the car is driven only on special occasions and he answered that the car is hardly driven at all.

Apparently, so the story goes, this dude?s father bought the car in the late 1960s at an auto show when he was trashed as hell (aka ?drunk?)! Ever since, he?s been stuck with the car and has not thought about selling it for some reason, despite hardly driving it. I?d buy it in a heartbeat if I had the cash. Such a lovely machine, the W108 S-Class is just beautiful.

Well, hope you enjoyed the review. Mr. Ruhaltinger and I then drove back to M?hldorf in the C200 Kompressor. This guy used to sell Ferrari?s (he sold the last Enzo in Germany) so he drove it like madman ignoring the 100 km/h speed limits and blasting through curves like a guy gone insane.

Here are some crappy videos I took. I was really excited and my voice shows it. Also, it was hard to smash the pedal and drive with one hand and film with the other. In fact, it was quite risky too! The videos are short because uploading them unto Youtube would take a million years if they were larger. Also, the roads were very curvy and this is not the place to ?properly test a CL600?. Enjoy.

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlyaqj7Bpe4

Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gUqz6jWHNU

Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36DsJRsCVsY

Video 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwFOEtWaZYo

Video 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCqainASYE

Video 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ktZDpSPKA

Video 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I52Ns2D2FNo
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TheIntrepid

Wow... you're one lucky bastard. Wimmer how do you have this connection to the MB dealer again if I may ask?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cawimmer430

Quote from: touareg208 on September 21, 2006, 07:21:16 AM
Wow... you're one lucky bastard. Wimmer how do you have this connection to the MB dealer again if I may ask?

There was a salesman up there named Mr. Christoph Schultz (retired now) who always offered me the latest MB's for testdrives. We struck up a friendship and he would always call me and tell me of the latest MB's up there for testing. Also, last summer I had a summer job with them where I testdrove a bunch of cars including a 500-hp CL600. So this is my second one.  :lol:

Here's my first CL600 testdrive and review.  :rockon:

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=66635&forumID=21&search=1&searchstring=

And here's another cool story of me driving a CLS320 CDI and "racing" a CL600.  :rockon:

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=66925&forumID=21&search=1&searchstring=

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

850CSi

The way you talk is almost weird to me because you have no hint of an accent. And why the hell do you talk like an American if you lived in England?  :lol:

jadewolf123

2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

cawimmer430

Quote from: 850CSi on September 21, 2006, 08:45:07 AM
The way you talk is almost weird to me because you have no hint of an accent. And why the hell do you talk like an American if you lived in England?  :lol:

I also lived in the Philippines when I was much younger and that's where I picked up the American accent. Picking up accents is also easy to me. Maybe in my next video I'll speak with a British accent.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

"piece of s**t I wanna enjoy my CL-600 you stupid a**hole"

I'm reporting you for bad language.  :nono:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

cawimmer430

:praise:

I'm a badass eh? Abusing a customer car. Oooooh I am so bad.  :rockon: :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 21, 2006, 01:25:47 PM
:praise:

I'm a badass eh? Abusing a customer car. Oooooh I am so bad.  :rockon: :lol:

Maybe I should figure out his phone number and call him and tell him what you did to the car.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on September 21, 2006, 01:33:27 PM
Maybe I should figure out his phone number and call him and tell him what you did to the car.

Wait until I tell you what I did with his daughter.  :praise:  :devil:

:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TheIntrepid

Aww crap you guys are starting this again?  :banghead: You two need calling cards. :)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT_Power

"Mr. Ruhaltinger is turning right better follow turn left and hammer it."

:lol: :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: touareg208 on September 21, 2006, 02:20:03 PM
Aww crap you guys are starting this again?? :banghead: You two need calling cards. :)

They call each other at night everyday
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JYODER240

Welcome to the 500hp club wimmer :rockon: i joined about a month ago when i drove a viper.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

omicron

Wimmer, you bastard. Why didn't you stop by? Don't go using that distance/underwater thing as an excuse. :nono: :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on September 21, 2006, 09:26:25 PM
Welcome to the 500hp club wimmer :rockon: i joined about a month ago when i drove a viper.

This is my second CL600 I've testdriven. I became a member of the 500-hp club last summer.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on September 22, 2006, 07:00:46 AM
Wimmer, you bastard. Why didn't you stop by? Don't go using that distance/underwater thing as an excuse. :nono: :lol:

:lol:

Didn't you hear? No LHD cars allowed in Australia!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

You are a very lucky dude.

So, how long till you drive the new CL?  :rockon:

AKL

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

Catman

"God Dammit!  I can't hammer it because of this motorcycle! :rage:  I'd really like to hammer it guys but this is a customers car.  Fuck it I'll hammer it!." :lol:

I drove a CL a few year ago and I remember the roar of the V8 like it was yesterday.  It's a beautiful sound. :praise:

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 22, 2006, 03:08:18 PM
You are a very lucky dude.

So, how long till you drive the new CL?  :rockon:

Thanks. I am working on it, I really am. But they don't just let anyone drive a new CL. But I am working on it.  :clap: :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: AKL on September 22, 2006, 09:15:26 PM
Wish I can get my hands on the CL  :(

Lucky bastard  :lol:

THIS WAS MY SECOND CL600 I TESTDROVE.

Oooops, I am rubbing it in.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Catman on September 23, 2006, 05:20:40 AM
"God Dammit!  I can't hammer it because of this motorcycle! :rage:  I'd really like to hammer it guys but this is a customers car.  Fuck it I'll hammer it!." :lol:

I drove a CL a few year ago and I remember the roar of the V8 like it was yesterday.  It's a beautiful sound. :praise:

I was really excited when I drove it. The V12 is amazing.  :rockon: :lol:

Ah, I see you drove the regular CL500. Itself a nice car and that V8 would suit me perfectly. I don't need all the power of the CL600, but damn it, driving and hammering it is just so much fun.  :rockon:

Catman, if you want to try a CL600, make sure you stop a CL600 driver for something and then impound his car and drive it yourself to the impound.  :rockon: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de