Cruise Control: New Camaro will look even better than concept

Started by gasoline, September 27, 2006, 10:08:05 AM

gasoline

"It looks terrific!"

If you listen to this podcast of Businessweek's "Cruise Control"--an automative show, you will hear--beginning at about 14:50--one of the announcers answer a question about when the new Camaro will be coming out.

He says he saw a picture of the final look on the laptops of one of GM's engineers, and that it looks even better than the concept.
He also said the PR guys at the table were going nuts, but it was too late--he saw it.

See if you can pick up any other interesting tidbits.
Everything you hear is off the record.

http://www.businessweek.com/mediacenter/podcasts/cruisecontrol/cruise_control_09_23_06_b.htm
-----------------------------------

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: touareg208 on September 27, 2006, 10:52:23 AM
Raza, do you really think it's uglier than the Vibe?

Yes. 

I thought the aardvark would be the sticking point.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza on September 27, 2006, 11:02:17 AM

Yes.?

Me too.  When I first saw it I liked it, but the longer I looked at it, the less I liked it.  Now I find it downright hideous.  But like I said before, I wish more carmakers would build cars that are offensive to some and are beauty to others.  It creates passion for a car.  Chrysler is doing a great job of it and GM looks to be starting in that direction as well.  Ford, on the other hand, is all about not offending anyone, and for that they only have two cars that stir up any passion or excitement.

Speed_Racer

It looks good...all except the nose. For some reason, that's the only part of the car that I can't stand.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 27, 2006, 12:34:32 PM
Me too.  When I first saw it I liked it, but the longer I looked at it, the less I liked it.  Now I find it downright hideous.  But like I said before, I wish more carmakers would build cars that are offensive to some and are beauty to others.  It creates passion for a car.  Chrysler is doing a great job of it and GM looks to be starting in that direction as well.  Ford, on the other hand, is all about not offending anyone, and for that they only have two cars that stir up any passion or excitement.

If you want a car company that trys to offend nobody...look no further than Toyota.

I think the real reason they canceled the MR2 and Celica was because they were too "fun." Appliances aren't supposed to be fun! That's illogical!

93JC

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 27, 2006, 12:34:32 PM
Me too.? When I first saw it I liked it, but the longer I looked at it, the less I liked it.? Now I find it downright hideous.? But like I said before, I wish more carmakers would build cars that are offensive to some and are beauty to others.? It creates passion for a car.? Chrysler is doing a great job of it and GM looks to be starting in that direction as well.? Ford, on the other hand, is all about not offending anyone, and for that they only have two cars that stir up any passion or excitement.

Meh. I don't think it's out-and-out disgusting, but it's not pretty. The Mustang, both production and concept, looks better.

The best fifth-generation Camaro concept I've seen was this sketch:

I love that drawing.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on September 27, 2006, 02:56:17 PM
Meh. I don't think it's out-and-out disgusting, but it's not pretty. The Mustang, both production and concept, looks better.

I love that drawing.

I'm not impressed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 27, 2006, 02:51:41 PM
If you want a car company that trys to offend nobody...look no further than Toyota.

I think the real reason they canceled the MR2 and Celica was because they were too "fun." Appliances aren't supposed to be fun! That's illogical!

I don't actually know if the Celica was any good, but the MR-2 was. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SaltyDog

Quote from: 93JC on September 27, 2006, 02:56:17 PM

I love that drawing.

Are you for serious?  That's automotive beauty right there.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Raza on September 27, 2006, 03:18:43 PM
I don't actually know if the Celica was any good, but the MR-2 was. 

The Celica was a but dated when it was pulled out of the market, but the engine in the GTS was a screamer. Plus, the looks were anything but conservative.

And yeah...the MR2 Spyder was great. It's only been canceled 3 times now.

omicron

TBR

The final gen Celica was a great car, very sportying, in fact that is what killed it.

And, the sketch 93JC posted looks like it should be a Chrysler product.

ifcar

No Chryslers looked like that when that was penned. Had they gone with that (as I agree with several here that they should have) Chrysler would have been the one to need a different look.

TBR

That is irrelevant, they didn't bring the car out before the Crossfire and now if they brought it out they would be labeled as copycats.

ChrisV

Quote from: omicron on September 27, 2006, 09:10:47 PM
It looks like a Beretta.

My wife had a beretta. It looks nothing CLOSE. Someone so adept at telling the differences between cars by a curve of the windsheild shoudl have better powers of observation.

And personally, I thought te Camaro concept was almost perfect as is. I would have done a different grille insert, but as a consumer, I could accept that that would be an area for me to customize on my own.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on September 28, 2006, 04:25:30 PM
That is irrelevant, they didn't bring the car out before the Crossfire and now if they brought it out they would be labeled as copycats.

Why? It looks like a '69 Camaro.

It's gotten to the point of "my god, it has four wheels! Such copycats!!!!"

sandertheshark

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 27, 2006, 02:50:00 PM
It looks good...all except the nose. For some reason, that's the only part of the car that I can't stand.
same here.  That nose scoop ruins what is otherwise a beautiful machine.

sandertheshark

280Z Turbo

As long as it has a V8 and RWD, how COULD GM screw it up? The baby-boomers and fanboys will gobble it right up.

I'm sure that the mail-slot windows will make for poor visibilty and a dark, confining interior. Not to mention that you'll look like a kid in his daddy's car when the door comes up to your neck.

Gotta have that "look"...function be damned!

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on September 28, 2006, 04:50:06 PM
Why? It looks like a '69 Camaro.

It's gotten to the point of "my god, it has four wheels! Such copycats!!!!"

Look at the headlights, they are practically identical to the Crossfire's. The rest looks nice.

ChrisV

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 28, 2006, 06:03:37 PM
As long as it has a V8 and RWD, how COULD GM screw it up? The baby-boomers and fanboys will gobble it right up.

I'm sure that the mail-slot windows will make for poor visibilty and a dark, confining interior. Not to mention that you'll look like a kid in his daddy's car when the door comes up to your neck.

Gotta have that "look"...function be damned!

Read my sig.

And I guess when you've driven cars like this:

or exotic sports cars with even SMALLer windows, then you see things like the Camaro concept as not that bad. But then, once again, lack of experience in the larger automotive wold causes certain people to be insulting about cars that aren't exactly what they would buy, evn though since they can't buy every car on the market, why they want every car to be something they WOULD buy in order not to insult it, is beyond me....

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on September 28, 2006, 06:59:54 PM
Look at the headlights, they are practically identical to the Crossfire's. The rest looks nice.

Wow. they're round, and slightly notched out of the lower facia. OH MY GOD! IT"S IDENTICAL!

Not.

Tons of cars have that. And overall the grille is a '69 Camaro slanted backward.

omicron

sandertheshark

Quote from: omicron on September 29, 2006, 07:10:34 AMTo an extent, I still think they look similar.
Headlights on either side of the grille, bumper underneath, foglights below that.

Yeah... to an extent, there's a lot of cars that look similar to that.

omicron

It's mainly the black egg-crate grille that does it. Sure, there are cars that look similar, and have similar grilles, but the first that springs to mind is the Beretta.

ChrisV

Quote from: omicron on September 29, 2006, 09:31:39 AM
It's mainly the black egg-crate grille that does it. Sure, there are cars that look similar, and have similar grilles, but the first that springs to mind is the Beretta.

yeah, 'cause that's teh only car with black eggcrate... Ferrari, Volvo, and dozens of others have it too.

I'm just not seeing the similarity...

Had I posted that sketch in the GTCC section, would you have said "it's a Beretta?"

omicron

I would have said 'That small, rectangular, black, egg-crate grille reminds me of the small, rectangular, black, egg-crate grille on a Beretta'. That's all ;)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on September 29, 2006, 06:10:18 AM
Read my sig.

And I guess when you've driven cars like this:

or exotic sports cars with even SMALLer windows, then you see things like the Camaro concept as not that bad. But then, once again, lack of experience in the larger automotive wold causes certain people to be insulting about cars that aren't exactly what they would buy, evn though since they can't buy every car on the market, why they want every car to be something they WOULD buy in order not to insult it, is beyond me....

Errrr...

This is a car forum...you know...where people post their impressions about cars. :confused:

I didn't say anyone had to agree with me, but posting personal opinions is what we do here. If I think that mail slot windows are stupid, I'm going to bitch about them.

If you're so much smarter than the rest of us, maybe you should find another forum.