THE EDITORS OF AUTOWEEK
Published Date: 5/30/05
DATE IN FLEET: May 10-17
AS-TESTED PRICE: $32,600
POWERTRAIN: 5.3-liter V8; fwd, four-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 303 hp @ 5600 rpm, 323 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 3600 lbs
MPG (EPA combined/AW observed): 21.2/20.1

FLOYD: Take a glance at the spec sheet for this GXP?d Grand Prix and it?s hard not to be impressed. Sadly, all that power is routed to the front wheels, but hey, you can?t have everything. When all you have to do is tap on the throttle to get the big front meats to chirp, all is almost forgotten. Inside is a mixed bag. I like the seats and the comprehensive computer-info center. But the speedo is as big as my head and the dash?with its bazillion air vents and the decade-old big-button radio?desperately needs a revamp. It?s nice to look at from the outside, with sweet chrome exhaust tips and aggressive front fascia, but there is no way in the world I?m buying this over a rear-drive, 400-hp GTO for about the same price.

GRITZINGER: At Mr. Floyd?s suggestion I drove this back to back with the Nissan Altima SE-R. Both are performance versions of base cars, front-drivers, and cost around $30,000. But that?s where the parallels end. The Altima is less refined and definitely more of a driver?s car. But the GXP is not without its own charms: big V8 exhaust burble, power to spare, smooth TapShift tranny, comfortable interior and sharp exterior. Yes, it?s heavier than the Altima, but as long as you keep your inputs smooth, it?s a whale of a fun front-driver, sticking through hard corners, keeping its nose headed where it?s pointed.

When you jackrabbit the throttle, punch the brakes or heave it into a turn, however, it just feels like a whale. I would probably put more beef into the suspension, otherwise I wouldn?t mess with anything. The V8 pulls strongly, the steering feels naturally weighty, and the overall package seems well thought out. Over the long haul I think this GXP would prove more satisfying than a similarly equipped Altima SE-R. But like Mike, I doubt I?d pick the GXP over the rear-drive GTO.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

93JC

Quote... the decade-old big-button radio...
... is actually brand new... <_<

2004 GP:

2005 GP:

2005 GP w/ nav:

ifcar

I like the large gauges myself. <_<

TBR

Why does think that putting a gazillion air vents in a Pontiac interior makes it look more sporty?  

Run Away

GRITZINGER said that he would take this over a Altima SE-R...Interesting. I don't particularily care for the exterior styling, but the interior isn't bad. That said, I'd take the SE-R because it's manual.
3600lbs is also suprising, it's lighter than I thought.

SJ_GTI

Quote3600lbs is also suprising, it's lighter than I thought.
I think the saving grace as far as weight in the GXP was going from an Iron block V6 to an aluminum V8. I bet they shaved a few pounds right there.

Raghavan

The front tires are actually bigger than the rears to cope up with all the hp.
this should be RWD.

Fire It Up

Quote3600lbs is also suprising, it's lighter than I thought.
I think the saving grace as far as weight in the GXP was going from an Iron block V6 to an aluminum V8. I bet they shaved a few pounds right there.
They did. I read something about it in last months MT, and I think it has bad steering feel. And there was one scary picture there of it accelerating out of a corner, and there was so much body roll that its inner rear tire looked like it was a bout to lift off the groung, and the front inner tire was already a few inches above the pavement.  :blink:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raghavan

Quote... the decade-old big-button radio...
... is actually brand new... <_<

2004 GP:

2005 GP:

2005 GP w/ nav:
so many air-vents!!

BMWDave

Its like Charlie Brown doesnt want to walk Snoopy so he puts him in a dog cart and blows a fan on his face to make him feel like hes going really fast...Pontiac blows all this air on you so that you feel like youre going fast :lol:

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteIts like Charlie Brown doesnt want to walk Snoopy so he puts him in a dog cart and blows a fan on his face to make him feel like hes going really fast...Pontiac blows all this air on you so that you feel like youre going fast :lol:
huh?

BMWDave

QuoteIts like Charlie Brown doesnt want to walk Snoopy so he puts him in a dog cart and blows a fan on his face to make him feel like hes going really fast...Pontiac blows all this air on you so that you feel like youre going fast :lol:
huh?
Whatever B)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

huh?
Whatever B)
o. i see what you're saying. the airvents blow lots of air onto you so you feel like you're going fast?

BMWDave

huh?
Whatever B)
o. i see what you're saying. the airvents blow lots of air onto you so you feel like you're going fast?
Yea.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

huh?
Whatever B)
Yea.
:lol:  

giant_mtb

Why do they have such a big engine (5.3) and they're only giving it 303 HP?  Why not have a smaller engine (4.6-ish) and give it 303 HP?  <_<   Do they really need a 5.3...?

Run Away

Because that's the cheapest way to do it....they wanted 300hp, and instead of making a new engine, or modifying an existing one, they just said "What engine do we have that already makes 300hp?" then made it fit.:P

giant_mtb

QuoteBecause that's the cheapest way to do it....they wanted 300hp, and instead of making a new engine, or modifying an existing one, they just said "What engine do we have that already makes 300hp?" then made it fit.:P
Bleh.  Doesn't that make it less fuel-efficient too?  

Run Away

QuoteBecause that's the cheapest way to do it....they wanted 300hp, and instead of making a new engine, or modifying an existing one, they just said "What engine do we have that already makes 300hp?" then made it fit.:P
What does GM care, they're not paying for the gas....
:P

Probably a bit, but it should still be somewhat fuel efficient, the 5.3 is a very solid motor (had to be, it's replacing the famous 350, and is used in so many of their vehicles that they'd be ruined if it was a crappy motor)

SJ_GTI

According to EPA estimates the 5.3L V8 may actually get better gas mileage than the upcoming 3.9L V6 in the G6.  :o

I think it gets about the same mileage as the ~300 HP G35 as well, so I don't think its true that the engine size is hurting gas mileage.

Run Away

According to EPA estimates the 5.3L V8 may actually get better gas mileage than the upcoming 3.9L V6 in the G6.  :o

I think it gets about the same mileage as the ~300 HP G35 as well, so I don't think its true that the engine size is hurting gas mileage.
True, you have to factor in the weight it pulls, torque and gearing, and the effeciency in general.
A small V6 towing a heavy load will get poorer mileage than a V8 with the same load, even if the V6 has much less diplacement. Also, an engine with alot of torque can take advantage of that and have tall gearing, keeping the rpms low and usng less gas.

Of course there are some vehicles that actually thrive on higher rpms for fuel effienciecy; my car gets 24mpg city shifting at 3000rpm, but gets 30-31mpg on the highway turning 4000rpm at 75mph.

giant_mtb

Oh I see...I still think it's completely un-necessary to have a 5.3 in that thing...first it's a 5.3 making only 303 HP (which is somewhat useless, IMO)..and it's FWD.

Fire It Up

Oh I see...I still think it's completely un-necessary to have a 5.3 in that thing...first it's a 5.3 making only 303 HP (which is somewhat useless, IMO)..and it's FWD.
Displacement =/= size

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

Displacement =/= size
I know...

Raghavan

yeah, after all, the STi makes only 3 less hp from less than half the displacement. :rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

yeah, after all, the STi makes only 3 less hp from less than half the displacement. :rolleyes:
Yeah...I was actually thinking about mentioning that...  :P  

Raghavan

TROLL. :rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

Doesn't mean I'm a troll..it's just an example.  

Raghavan

Doesn't mean I'm a troll..it's just an example.
sure.... :rolleyes:  

TBR

Why would you bother? The STi's H4 is not only heavier (turbocharger and an iron block) than the 5.3l but it probably isn't much more compact if any and certainly doesn't have as much low rpm torque. I like low displacement high power engines as much as the next guy, but you really can't make an argument against the efficency of a large displacement pushrod V8.