2007 Chevrolet HHR Panel

Started by Jawad, October 06, 2006, 05:05:55 PM

Jawad

Press Release:

QuoteThe 2007 HHR Panel, designed for a myriad commercial and private uses, adds a new dimension of functionality to the popular HHR?s lineup of stylish, efficient vehicles.

The HHR Panel features windowless side panels and rear cargo doors in place of conventional rear doors. A flat load floor provides more than 57 cubic feet (1,614 L) of cargo space, along with approximately 6 cubic feet (170 L) of additional covered, under-floor storage.

?The HHR Panel is a model unlike anything else in the segment, and it continues HHR?s mission of offering customers a bold, expressive, functional and different vehicle,? said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. ?It?s great for delivery companies and other small businesses, but we think auto enthusiasts will love it too, as it gives them a large canvas on which to express their individuality.?

HHR Panel production is expected to start late in the first quarter of 2007. It will be offered in LS and LT trims, with 2.2L and 2.4L engines ? both of which help the HHR deliver 30 mpg in highway driving.

?Business customers will see great value in the HHR Panel,? said Peper. ?There aren?t many vehicles designed for commercial use that provide 30 mpg.?

Exterior and interior details

HHR?s styling draws upon inspiration from the original 1949 Chevy Suburban, which was built on a platform that also offered panel models ? vehicles that became essential tools for urban and small businesses. Over the years, vintage panel vehicles have become prized by collectors and street rodders. The HHR marks the next chapter in Chevy?s panel heritage.

The body of the HHR Panel features steel inserts in place of side windows and cargo doors in place of conventional rear doors. The cargo doors open wide to enable cargo access from both sides of the vehicle, as well as from the rear liftgate. The cargo doors don?t have external handles; they are opened via a dashboard release button. The continuous ?canvas? created by the windowless cargo doors and rear panels provides a large area for business logos, advertising or personalization.

An auxiliary power outlet is available in the rear of the cargo area, with available 40-amp service for a variety of specialty equipment needs. This also answers the call of upfitters, who have asked for an additional power source to suit their specialty vehicles.

Inside, the HHR Panel has seating for two and a large, flat cargo floor. Tie-down points are located strategically on the floor and the available, robust floor mats enable easier movement of cargo. Two large storage compartments are located under the cargo floor ? in the approximate place of the rear seats of passenger models. When ordered with the optional lockable doors, the compartments are secure and large enough to hold small computer equipment, flashlights, service manuals and other valuable equipment that is more secure when hidden.

Standard and available features

HHR Panel is available in LS and LT trim. Both models come with a fuel-efficient 2.2L engine rated at 149 horsepower (111 kW). The LT model offers a 2.4L engine rated at 175 horsepower (130 kW). With either engine, the HHR is rated at 30 mph in highway driving and can provide up to 450 miles of cruising range on a tank of gas.

Power front seats, a family of radios with MP3 capability, XM Satellite Radio and OnStar are available on both LS and LT models. LT models also offer 17-inch wheels and leather-appointed seating.

Standard safety features include dual-stage frontal air bags with GM?s Passenger Sensing System. This system works with the front passenger seat and differentiates between adults ? 5 th percentile females and larger ? and small children or child seats to adjust air bag deployment. Head curtain side-impact air bags are available.

OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation is available on the HHR Panel, enhancing its value as a courier or delivery-type vehicle. OnStar Turn-by-Turn provides verbal instructions to assist the driver with right- and left-hand turn directions; and it establishes a new route if the driver needs to get back on track, for example, if a freeway exit is missed.

Since its launch, HHR has received five-star crash ratings ? the highest rating awarded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration?s (NHTSA) New Car Assessment Program. The five-star ratings were awarded for the driver and right-front passenger in a frontal crash, as well as five-star side-impact crash ratings for front seat and rear seat passengers. The HHR also was the highest-rated SUV for the 2006 model year in NHTSA rollover testing.

Chevrolet is America's No. 1-selling automotive brand. With the largest dealer network in the United States , Chevy is the leader in full-size trucks and the leader in sales of vehicles priced $35,000 and above. Chevrolet delivers more-than-expected value in every vehicle category, offering cars and trucks priced from $9,995 to $78,175. Chevy delivers expressive design, spirited performance and great value with standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles.

SPECIFICATIONS

Overview
Models:
Chevrolet HHR Panel LS and LT

Body style / driveline:
2-passenger, 5-door / front-engine, front-wheel drive

Construction:
welded steel monocoque; galvanized except for roof

EPA vehicle class:
sport utility vehicle ? 2WD

Manufacturing location:
Ramos Arizpe, Mexico

Key competitors:
Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, Scion xB, Honda Element, Chrysler PT Cruiser

Engine

Ecotec 2.2L (L61)
Ecotec 2.4L (LE5)

Application
std on LS and 1LT
std 2LT; opt on 1LT

Type:
2.2L DOHC I-4
2.4L DOHC I-4

Displacement (cu in / cc):
134 / 2189
145 / 2384

Bore & stroke (in / mm):
3.39 x 3.72 / 86 x 94.6
3.46 x 3.85 / 88 x 98

Block material:
cast aluminum
cast aluminum

Cylinder head material:
cast aluminum
cast aluminum

Valvetrain:
overhead camshafts,
4 valves per cylinder
overhead camshafts, 4 valves per cylinder; variable valve timing

Ignition system:
electronic direct
electronic direct

Fuel delivery:
sequential multi-port fuel injection with electronic throttle control
sequential multi-port fuel injection with high-pressure injectors and electronic throttle control

Compression ratio:
10:1
10.5:1

Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm):
149 / 111 @ 5600
175 / 130 @ 6200

Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):
152 / 210 @ 4000
165 / 228 @ 5000

Recommended fuel:
regular unleaded
premium recommended but not required

Maximum engine speed:

Emissions controls:
close-coupled catalytic converters; Quick-Sync 24x ignition system; returnless fuel rail; fast-response O 2 sensor
close-coupled catalytic converters; Quick-Sync 24x ignition system; returnless fuel rail; fast-response O 2 sensor

Estimated fuel economy

(mpg city / hwy):
manual: 22 / 30
automatic: 23 / 30
manual: 22 / 30
automatic: 23 / 30

Transmissions
Type:
F23 5-speed manual
Hydra-Matic 4T45 4-speed automatic

Gear ratios: (:1):

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Fifth:
?

Reverse:

Final drive ratio:
4.17:1
3.91:1

Chassis/Suspension

Front:
independent strut-type suspension with stabilizer bar

Rear:
semi-independent torsion beam with stabilizer bar

Steering type:
electric, power-assisted variable-speed rack-and-pinion

Steering ratio:
18.5:1

Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: (est)
3.5 (FE1); 3.25 (FE3)

Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m): (est)
36 / 11 (FE1); 37.7 / 11.5 (FE3)

Brakes

Type:
power front disc/rear drum, optional anti-lock brakes

Rotor diameter x thickness (in / mm):
front: 11.65 x 1.02 / 296 x 26

Drum diameter x width (in / mm):
rear: 9.84 x 1.7 / 250 x 45

Wheels/Tires

Wheel size and type:
std: LS and 1LT 16-inch x 6.5-inch steel; opt: 1LT 16-inch x 6.5-inch aluminum

std: 2LT 17-inch x 7-inch painted aluminum ; opt: 2LT 17-inch x 6.5-inch polished aluminum

Tires:
P215/55R16 all-season steel-belted radial blackwall tires; P215/50R17 all-season steel-belted radial blackwall tires

DIMENSIONS
Exterior
Wheelbase (in / mm):
103.6 / 2630

Overall length (in / mm):
176.2 / 4475

Overall width (in / mm):
69.1 / 1755

Overall height (in / mm):
62.5 / 1587

Track (in / mm):
front: 58.7 / 1491

rear: 58.7 / 1491

Minimum ground clearance (in / mm):
6.3 / 159.4

Curb weight, base (lb / kg):
3155 / 1431 (2.2L); 3208 / 1455 (2.4L)

Weight distribution (front / rear):
57 / 43

Interior

Seating capacity:

Headroom (in / mm):
front: 39.6 / 1006

rear: 39 / 991

Legroom (in / mm):
front: 40.6 / 1031

rear: 39.5 / 1004

Shoulder room (in / mm):
front: 53.5 / 1358

rear: 52.7 / 1339

Hip room (in / mm):
front: 50.1 / 1273

rear: 50.6 / 1266

Capacities

Passenger volume (cu ft / L)
97.4 / 2758

Cargo volume (cu ft / L):
63.1 / 1787 (rear seats removed)
57.7 / 1634 (rear seats folded)
25.2 / 638 (rear seats up)

GVWR, standard (lb / kg):
4173 / 1893 (preliminary)

Payload, base (lb / kg):
900 / 408

Trailer towing maximum (lb / kg):
1000 / 453

Fuel tank (gal / L):
16.2 / 49

Engine oil (qt / L):
2.2L and 2.4L: 5 / 4.7

Cooling system (qt / L):
48.6 / 46 (2.2L); 51.8 / 49 (2.4L)

mazda6er

Good to know child molestors won't have to shell out for an Express anymore. I think we can all sleep soundly tonight.

Seriously though, who wants one of these?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

280Z Turbo

Quote from: mazda6er on October 06, 2006, 05:08:41 PM
Good to know child molestors won't have to shell out for an Express anymore. I think we can all sleep soundly tonight.

People who like to cut other people off and get into accidents.

Eye of the Tiger

That's kinda cool idea, but they did it stupidly and with a stupid car.
I want a Mazdaspeed 3 Panel with no rear seats and no rear doors.
And a BMW Z3 coupe.
Just to see, I wouldn't buy them.
The lack of side windows wouldn't be a problem if people would emcrace the idea of fully convex mirrors.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

How do ideas like this make it to production?  Aren't there product planners, marketers, engineers, focus groups, et al, to stop them?  They should stop marketing completely to the blind.  They don't buy cars. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza on October 06, 2006, 05:58:19 PM
How do ideas like this make it to production?? Aren't there product planners, marketers, engineers, focus groups, et al, to stop them?? They should stop marketing completely to the blind.? They don't buy cars.?

Blind people don't drive? Then why did my bank put braille on the drive up ATM? Besides, blindness is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for the disgusting driving that takes place in this town.

Laconian

Quote from: NACar on October 06, 2006, 05:33:48 PM
That's kinda cool idea, but they did it stupidly and with a stupid car.
I want a Mazdaspeed 3 Panel with no rear seats and no rear doors.
And a BMW Z3 coupe.
Just to see, I wouldn't buy them.
The lack of side windows wouldn't be a problem if people would emcrace the idea of fully convex mirrors.
Sounds like a job for Andre (CWW)!

I pity the poor soul who has to fetch crap from the middle of the car. Climbing into the storage from the back to get anything out would suck balls.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: NACar on October 06, 2006, 06:11:26 PM
Blind people don't drive? Then why did my bank put braille on the drive up ATM? Besides, blindness is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for the disgusting driving that takes place in this town.

You can walk up to those ATMs too. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 06, 2006, 06:25:38 PM
Sounds like a job for Andre (CWW)!

I pity the poor soul who has to fetch crap from the middle of the car. Climbing into the storage from the back to get anything out would suck balls.

There's a door.  They just plastered over the window with dry wall.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza on October 06, 2006, 06:28:53 PM
You can walk up to those ATMs too.?
Actually there is a sign that says "no walk up transactions" (but the sign is not in braille, so...). There is also a walk up ATM on the other side of the building.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on October 06, 2006, 06:33:33 PM
Actually there is a sign that says "no walk up transactions" (but the sign is not in braille, so...). There is also a walk up ATM on the other side of the building.

Then it's probably logistics or legislation.  Blind people do not drive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza on October 06, 2006, 06:36:40 PM
Then it's probably logistics or legislation.? Blind people do not drive.

It doesn't exactly reek of logisticalness, but I wouldn't put it past the legislators.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on October 06, 2006, 06:33:33 PM

It doesn't make any sense to produce a different set of buttons for drive-thru ATM's. I'm sure the one you see in front of the supermarket is the same machine that's in the drive-thru.

Geez...what a simple answer to a stupid joke. :nono: ;)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza on October 06, 2006, 05:58:19 PM
How do ideas like this make it to production? Aren't there product planners, marketers, engineers, focus groups, et al, to stop them? They should stop marketing completely to the blind. They don't buy cars.

Are you saying that because it's ugly or because you can't see out of it?

Before Mr. "Larger Automotive Experience" shows up, let me explain. This thing is modeled after old delivery trucks from the 40s, which are often converted into street rods like this 1940 Ford here:

There. Now you have all been educated. Does that change your mind on this car? Didn't think so.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 06, 2006, 07:11:01 PM
Are you saying that because it's ugly or because you can't see out of it.

How does "both" fit your fancy?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

The two tone one looks pretty darn sharp.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Submariner

Well...They did a great job on making a hideous looking car look even worse.  :rolleyes: :praise: ;)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ChrisV

Quote from: mazda6er on October 06, 2006, 05:08:41 PM

A shitpile of small businesses... Jesus, how sheltered ARE you people?

Same people who like cars like these;

but don't want something so large.

And yes, I'm about having and sharing a larger automotive knowledge, gained from decades of study and direct experienc in a wider range of cars than most people. The probelm is, you keep proving you have none and PREFER it! So why should ANY of your fucking retarded opinions have any weight? You actually VALUE being ignorant POS!

I had no problem driving a '48 ford panel street rod. This is no fucking differnt. Grow up you little shits.

I though this would have more knowledgable people (or at least people that wanted to learn and have an open mind) than C&D. Turns out it's just full of little children who would rather know LESS than anyone else, rather than MORE.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

A handful of dissenting opinions don't make an entire forum, mind.

Back on topic, it reminds me of these:

I like these.

Thus, give the HHR Panelvan a 350 and I shall be happy.

BMWDave

Quote from: ChrisV on October 10, 2006, 08:03:56 AM

And yes, I'm about having and sharing a larger automotive knowledge, gained from decades of study and direct experienc in a wider range of cars than most people. The probelm is, you keep proving you have none and PREFER it! So why should ANY of your fucking retarded opinions have any weight? You actually VALUE being ignorant POS!

I had no problem driving a '48 ford panel street rod. This is no fucking differnt. Grow up you little shits.

I though this would have more knowledgable people (or at least people that wanted to learn and have an open mind) than C&D. Turns out it's just full of little children who would rather know LESS than anyone else, rather than MORE.

I agree with you that this would be a great car for small businesses to use. 

As an aside, I think that you're way of conveying your opinion is far more childish than the ignorance of a few posters.  Its a sign of maturity to be able to state an opinion without being condescending.  Let me ask you something:  Would you call any poster an "arrogant little shit" in real life, or are you just hiding behind the protective veneer of a keyboard and LCD screen?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TheIntrepid

What small business owner in their right mind would take this over an FJ Cruiser or a Scion xB?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

mazda6er

Wow dude, just because women won't give you affection doesn't mean you have to take it out on us. Get the hell out of our forum. Seriously. Bye.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

93JC

And yes, I'm a grumpy old coot. RAAAAAWR!! You're all dumb, I know more than you! RAAAAAWR!

mazda6er

Possibly the best part though, Chris, is that your vast knowledge can be attained by any mere commoner through a magical tool called the internet. See, if I spent the better part of three minutes rooting around for information about these ubiquitously utilitarian panel wagons, I'm sure I could appear as pompous and overimportant as yourself. Hell, I'd even throw in a few largely superfluous images with every single post I make just to further drive home the point that I'm woefully superior to everyone else due to my hopelessly advanced age. And of course, you're blatantly correct. I'm sure 362.7 years ago, Coca-Cola Co. used a similar shit box to haul around their glass bottles in between fighting off the British and discovering the lightbulb. Obviously that's still applicable today. I imagine any surviving ice cream truck drivers are clamoring to get off their morphine drips and behind the wheel of one of these bad boys; the gals back at the retirement home would love it. Hardly anachronistic at all. Just because you have a PT Cruiser doesn't mean any comment about any similar vehicle is a personal attack on you and your mildly shitty femiwagon. (Trust me, you're not that important.) This is a personal attack on you and your mildly shitty femiwagon. Have a good day.

:wub:

EDIT: Damn, I forgot the largely superfluous images...

--Mark

nickdrinkwater

:lol:

On topic, I think the car is pretty silly, but I'm guessing it might be more aimed at young people who wanna look cool, as opposed to serious commercial use?  I could see a decent aftermarket scene for it, if it becomes popular, custom paintjobs etc.

I think if you seriously need to move stuff you'd be better off buying a proper van.

280Z Turbo

I already posted a 1940 Ford delivery up there. Why did you need to post more pics to explain the same thing that I just explained?

It's not like nobody has ever seen a delivery sedan before. Personally, I used to have a subscription to Street Rodder.

Hehe! Look! His big baby temper tantrum was so bad he couldn't even type! :lol: :P

Speed_Racer

Back on topic: I'm sure this HHR will be successful with most business owners. Room to advertise on the outside, and room to deliver on the inside.

However, I wish they had gone with a suicide door setup, even if it were only on the curbside. This would allow for a larger loading and unloading "portal." Plus, it would have made it a little cooler.

It looks best in the two-tone color, but I doubt that this will catch on with the public, except for old farts trying to relive their youth. My guess is that this model will see a lot of fleet sales (but I hope I'm proved wrong by the market!)

ifcar

I've never understood the benefit to covering up the windows (though I'm sure there is one). Surely you could put just as much cargo into a regular HHR wagon, and have better visibility unless you have stuff stacked to the ceiling.

I'm not at all opposed to the idea of the HHR trying to appeal to fans of old panel vans, but I think Chrysler had the better idea stylewise with their 2-door panel concept.

gasoline

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 10, 2006, 02:41:38 PM
Back on topic: I'm sure this HHR will be successful with most business owners. Room to advertise on the outside, and room to deliver on the inside.

However, I wish they had gone with a suicide door setup, even if it were only on the curbside. This would allow for a larger loading and unloading "portal." Plus, it would have made it a little cooler.

It looks best in the two-tone color, but I doubt that this will catch on with the public, except for old farts trying to relive their youth. My guess is that this model will see a lot of fleet sales (but I hope I'm proved wrong by the market!)
No. Best would have been a sliding door.
Look, GM would traditionally have just replaced the glass rear windows with a body-colored panel and be done.
This time they redid the entire door. Good on you GM!
Yes this will sell well to many small businesses (plumbers, florists, deliveries). ChrisV was right--if a little angry.
-----------------------------------

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 10, 2006, 02:41:38 PM

It sure doesn't seem like a fleet model to me. Look at the shiny wheels, fancy paint, etc.

Looks like a wannabe street rod to me.