Autobild: BMW 335i vs Porsche 911 Carrera

Started by cawimmer430, November 28, 2006, 06:14:58 AM

cawimmer430

Test BMW 335i gegen Porsche 911

Mit dem neuen 335i hat BMW ein hei?es Eisen auf die Stra?e gebracht. Wie schl?gt sich der M?nchner im Vergleich zum deutlich teureren Porsche 911 Carrera? Lohnt es sich, das letzte Hemd in Zuffenhausen zu lassen?
Von Ralf Kund 34.723 Euro sind eine Menge Geld. Damit lie?en sich Traumurlaube finanzieren, edle Designer-Klamotten oder pr?chtiges Geschmeide. Exakt diese Summe liegt zwischen dem BMW 335i und dem  Einstiegs-911er. Da stellt sich die Frage: Ist es die Ikone 911 wert, f?r sie das letzte Hemd herzugeben? Immerhin entspricht die Differenz etwa dem Gegenwert eines Audi A6 oder einer  Mercedes C-Klasse. Auch wenn sich Porsche-Puristen beim Lesen dieser Frage voller Unverst?ndnis abwenden: Sie muss erlaubt sein. (With the new 335i, BMW has released a smoking hot car for the road. We want to know how the car compares to the more expensive Porsche 911 Carrera. Is it worth paying more for the sports car from Stuttgart?)

Schlie?lich liegen die beiden sportlichen Coup?s bei Motor- und Fahrleistungen so eng zusammen, dass man schon ins Gr?beln kommen kann: 325 PS mobilisiert der Porsche aus seinem 3,6-Liter-Boxer, 306 sind es beim 130 Kilogramm schwereren BMW. Und w?hrend der Klassiker aus Zuffenhausen den Spurt auf 100 km/h in 5,1 Sekunden absolviert, ist der  335i mit 5,5 Sekunden nicht bedeutend langsamer. Auch beim Run auf die 200 km/h stehen die 19,1 Sekunden nicht schlecht gegen die 18,2 des Porsche. Nur beim High-Speed-Kacheln ?ber die Autobahn sieht der BMW-Pilot irgendwann nur noch (kurz) das Heck des Elfers. W?hrend der Elan des BMW bei 250 km/h elektronisch eingebremst wird, karriolt der Porsche noch munter weiter, bis bei 285 km/h der Kampf gegen die Elemente in eine energiegeladene Patt-Situation m?ndet. (Both cars are equally match, performance wise. The Porsche mobilizes 325-horsepower from its 3.6-l Boxer 6-cylinder engine. The BMW, which weighs 103 kg more, produces 306-horsepower. 0-100 km/h takes place in 5.1 seconds for the Porsche, the BMW trails with an equally impressive 5.5 seconds. 0-200 km/h was measured as 18.2 seconds for the Porsche and 19.1 seconds for the BMW. Like we said, equally matched vehicles. Only during high-speed driving on the Autobahn does the BMW driver see the rear of the Porsche as it is limited to 250 km/h. The Porsche soldiers on until 285 km/h top speed.)

Doch wie so oft bringt der reine Vergleich nackter Zahlen zwar Diskussionsstoff f?r den Stammtisch. Doch auf einem anderen Blatt steht, wie sich das Ganze anf?hlt. Und das ist bei beiden spektakul?r, wenn auch aus verschiedenen Gr?nden. Hat man es sich in den sportlich geschnittenen Sitzen bequem gemacht und die umst?ndliche Prozedur mit dem modischen Startknopf absolviert, grummelt der Reihensechser des BMW entspannt vor sich hin. Der Clou des Triebwerks ist die doppelte sogenannte Registeraufladung, auch Twin-Turbo genannt. Dabei werden zwei Turbolader hintereinandergeschaltet. Beide Lader sind klein dimensioniert, was das Tr?gheitsmoment verringert, den Verbrauch in Grenzen h?lt und das Turboloch ausmerzen soll. (The BMW engine has a nice sound to it. The magic behind the engine is the so-called "register charging", also called TWIN TURBO. Both turbos are set to operate at different times. This and their small size ensure that fuel economy is acceptable and that turbo-lag is erradicated.)

Unter bissigem, aber verhaltenem Knurren wirft sich der 335i in Szene und ?berrascht mit einer sehr gleichm??igen Leistungsentfaltung. Weder ist ein Turboloch zu sp?ren noch der Einsatz der Lader. Bei jeder Drehzahl reagiert der 335i sofort auf Gasbefehle.  Wie l?ssig der 335i hochdreht ? das f?hlt sich eher nach einem deutlich gr??eren Motor an. Nur nicht an der Tankstelle: 9,5 Liter Super Plus sind ein in dieser Leistungsklasse sehr guter Wert. Auch der 911er bietet sehr gute, etwas engere und straffere Sportsitze. F?hlt man sich im BMW wie in sportlicher Freizeitkleidung, gibt der Porsche den eng anliegenden Trainingsanzug. Ein Dreh am Z?ndschl?ssel ? und eine Komposition aus mechanischem Rasseln, tiefem Grollen und hellem Singen verz?ckt die Ohren. Mit klassischen Rundinstrumenten mit zentralem Drehzahlmesser oder der optionalen Stoppuhr aus dem Sport-Chrono-Paket unterstreicht der Porsche seinen Anspruch. Fast langweilig wirkt dagegen die schlichte Instrumentierung des BMW. (The 335i impresses with responsive and eager performance. We didn't detect any turbo-lag or any turbo screams. At every RPM, the 335i responds to every little input. The fuel economy is also more than acceptable: 9.5 L / 100 km in this class and for such a car are amazing. The 911 also offers impressive performance. The seats are a little harder and offer more side support though. The BMW feels like the sporty everyday clothes you wear, while the Porsche feels like a trainings / jogging unform. Turn the ignition knob and the Porsche comes to life with that classic growl. The instruments are classic. We found the intruments of the BMW a tad boring compared to the Porsche's.)

Der Eindruck t?uscht: Im Vergleich gibt sich der BMW eher geschmeidig.
Doch mimt das Coup? mit aufpreispflichtigen schwarzen Interieurleisten eher den Gentleman-Sportler. Gibt man dem Porsche die Sporen, entfesselt sich ein akustisches Feuerwerk. Je h?her der Drehzahlmesser klettert, desto williger und aggressiver wird das H?rerlebnis. Voll ausgedreht erwartet den Porsche-Fahrer ein klangfarbenreiches Trompetenkonzert, das markanter und auch direkter zu den Insassen durchdringt als im BMW. Eine wirklich sportliche Vorstellung. Die sich noch verst?rkt, wenn man beide Kontrahenten ?ber kurvenreiche Stra?en scheucht. W?hrend der Porsche seinen Piloten niemals ?ber die Beschaffenheit der Stra?e im Unklaren l?sst, filtert der BMW Unebenheiten geschmeidig aus. Im direkten Vergleich f?hlt sich der BMW-Fahrer wie mit Watte umh?llt. (At higher speeds, the Porsche engine becomes louder and louder, but the music we hear is addicting. The BMW does a better job at exterior sound isolation, but the traditional screaming engines are all part of the Porsche experience. Roadtest: both cars handle well, but the Porsche suspension always reminds you what roads you're driving o as the driver feels every bump. The BMW suspension is more adept at filtering out the unwanted road conditions. Compared to the raw nature of the Porsche, the BMW feels like a luxury ride.)

Also noch mal zur?ck zur Ausgangsfrage. 34.723 Euro liegen zwischen dem Sportwagenklassiker schlechthin und dem feschen Bayern mit dem Wundermotor. Legt man Wert auf Komfort, Platz und Alltagstauglichkeit, d?rfte es bessere Verwendungsm?glichkeiten f?r das Geld geben. Unter sportlichen Aspekten bietet jedoch der 911er jenes Plus an Emotionalit?t und Begehrlichkeit, das ihn letztlich zur Legende gemacht hat. (A price question: the difference in price between these two cars is a whooping 34,723 Euro's. If you value comfort, space and overall practicality, the BMW is the car to get. Those looking for the sporty and emotional aspect as well as a car from a line of legends are best served with the Porsche 911 Carrera.)

Fazit von AUTO BILD SPORTSCARS-Redakteur Ralf Kund:
Auch wenn der BMW 335i gemessen am 911er wie ein Schn?ppchen erscheint: Puristische Sportwagenfans werden f?r einen Porsche sicher ihr letztes Hemd geben. Und das zu Recht. Den vern?nftigeren Kompromiss bietet aber der BMW. Inklusive der Freude ?ber eine ganze Menge gespartes Geld.  (Even though the BMW 335i is more than up to the task of rivaling the Porsche, true sports car fans will always go for the Porsche. And that's well-deserved for the Porsche as it is the better sports car. Those looking for an overall package of sport and some luxury and better value will find their car in the BMW.)

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

911 rocks.

I'd never buy a 335i coupe.  However, the damn sedan keeps whispering in my ear.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Porsche 911 Carrera. I just want to say it over and over again.

goldenlover1101

Definitely the 911. The 335 is a nice coupe, but the sedan is better proportioned imo. I dont know why, in pictures the BMW interior always looks like crap. The materials just look sub par. In person, the interior is nice but just doesnt seem up to luxury car standards. However that porsche interior scream luxury and sport at the same time! I just noticed, that 335 looks a lot like the 6 series from the front views!

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

TheIntrepid

Definitely the 911. The 335 is a nice coupe, but the sedan is better proportioned. I don't know why, in pictures the BMW interior always looks nice. In person, the interior is nice but just doesn't seem up to luxury car standards. However, that Porsche interior screams luxury and sport at the first time. I just noticed, that 335i looks nothing like the 6-series from any view. The 335 coupe looks terrible, the 911 is timeless.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

pommes-t

Both cars rock. If I had the money, I'd buy the Porsche.

Thanks for posting this Wimmer. But English speakers won't get the meaning of the last picture...

sandertheshark

Why did they test an Automatic against a manual?  The manual 335i can do 0-100kmh in much less than 5.5 seconds.  I've personally beaten that with a street-start.  "Low German" bias, right from the start, pitting a paddle-shift slushbox against a 911 with a manual.  A 335i with a 6MT will smoke a Carrera at the stoplight, and add about 2000 Euros to that price difference too.

heelntoe

i do. midlife crisis i imagine and a young executive?
@heelntoe

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 09:04:08 AM
Why did they test an Automatic against a manual?  The manual 335i can do 0-100kmh in much less than 5.5 seconds.  I've personally beaten that with a street-start.  "Low German" bias, right from the start, pitting a paddle-shift slushbox against a 911 with a manual.  A 335i with a 6MT will smoke a Carrera at the stoplight, and add about 2000 Euros to that price difference too.

I bet they couldn't get a manual 335i.

And I doubt a 335i could smoke a Carrera in a stoplight drag.  Similar power, more weight, and worse weight distribution.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 09:08:23 AM
I bet they couldn't get a manual 335i.

And I doubt a 335i could smoke a Carrera in a stoplight drag. Similar power, more weight, and worse weight distribution.
More torque = more power at low revs = fatter powerband = quicker acceleration. :tounge:  And Autobild is the biggest car mag in Europe.  They shouldn't have a problem getting hold of a BMW of their choice.

nickdrinkwater

Are goldenlover and touareg the same person?

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 09:10:56 AM
More torque = more power at low revs = fatter powerband = quicker acceleration. :tounge:  And Autobild is the biggest car mag in Europe.  They shouldn't have a problem getting hold of a BMW of their choice.

Yeah, but with that engine sitting on top of the rear wheels, you can rev that engine up in the high end of the range and drop the clutch, and you won't spin.  That's why the Carrera is so bloody fast off the line that it blows away other, more powerful cars.  Now, I'm not saying that they're close in speed.  I've seen pretty even times for the two cars in a straight line. 

So, as I said, "smoke" isn't the right word.  I think "drivers' race" is the way to go here.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 28, 2006, 09:15:44 AM
Are goldenlover and touareg the same person?

I just noticed that.  Hmm.  Touareg has enough trouble just being the one guy, and Dan's on top of the multiple address thing, he would know.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Laconian

Goldenlover and touareg have different IP addresses. I think it was a botched quote.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on November 28, 2006, 11:15:57 AM
Goldenlover and touareg have different IP addresses. I think it was a botched quote.

Probably.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 06:21:44 AM
911 rocks.

I'd never buy a 335i coupe.? However, the damn sedan keeps whispering in my ear.

Why? I'd much rather have the coupe than the sedan.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on November 28, 2006, 11:54:18 AM
Why? I'd much rather have the coupe than the sedan.

Much like the last generation, the coupe doesn't look good enough to pay more for less utility.  But in the E46, the coupe was poorly proportioned compared to the sedan. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 11:56:11 AM
Much like the last generation, the coupe doesn't look good enough to pay more for less utility. But in the E46, the coupe was poorly proportioned compared to the sedan.
Have you seen one of the E92s in person?  Photos don't do it justice.  It is shocking how much better it looks on the street.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 11:59:19 AM
Have you seen one of the E92s in person?  Photos don't do it justice.  It is shocking how much better it looks on the street.

I know you bought one.  I wouldn't have.  I'm actually ashamed of you that you didn't get the GTO.  I'm praying to Stamos for your soul.

What was your first BMW?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 11:56:11 AM
Much like the last generation, the coupe doesn't look good enough to pay more for less utility.? But in the E46, the coupe was poorly proportioned compared to the sedan.?

To me its the opposite, I think the E46 sedan was ill-proportioned at the C-Pillar (a problem the E90 doesn't have IMO). I wanted an E46 Coupe before we got my car. I still think the E92 is a lot better looking than the E90. Far less utility? Not really (at least not to me). I mean, I rarely have passengers in the back, the seat serves more to just hold my bag than anything, and you can still do that in the coupe. The cost and insurance is what would bother me.

I like my car though because it's a stripper, meaning it's the cheapest, lightest and simplest E90 you can get.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on November 28, 2006, 12:08:26 PM
To me its the opposite, I think the E46 sedan was ill-proportioned at the C-Pillar (a problem the E90 doesn't have IMO). I wanted an E46 Coupe before we got my car. I still think the E92 is a lot better looking than the E90. Far less utility? Not really (at least not to me). I mean, I rarely have passengers in the back, the seat serves more to just hold my bag than anything, and you can still do that in the coupe. The cost and insurance is what would bother me.

I like my car though because it's a stripper, meaning it's the cheapest, lightest and simplest E90 you can get.

Whether or not you see a reason for it, it is less utility.  I prefer to have back doors to get in and out easier, and it allows easy access to the rear seats for people and storage of small items or delicate items (for example, I cringe at the thought of transporting my guitar in the boot).  If it looked so much better that I could resolve that, but it doesn't.  Everything else is essentially the same.  Why pay more to get less?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 12:01:39 PM
I know you bought one. I wouldn't have. I'm actually ashamed of you that you didn't get the GTO. I'm praying to Stamos for your soul.
The GTO was my first choice for several months, and than I saw the 335i.  If that car wasn't so good, I would have gone back to the GTO.  I still love the Goat, but the Bimmer has all its best qualities in a more civilized package.  I had to take it, I'm sorry.

QuoteWhat was your first BMW?
a 1998 528xi.

The Pirate

E92 is the designation of the current coupe?  Is that the first time the sedan and coupe received different designations?

I have to say the E90 sedan is growing on me, I saw one in white the other day, and it looked sharp.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 12:16:18 PM
The GTO was my first choice for several months, and than I saw the 335i.  If that car wasn't so good, I would have gone back to the GTO.  I still love the Goat, but the Bimmer has all its best qualities in a more civilized package.  I had to take it, I'm sorry.
a 1998 528xi.

I was close to getting a 528i as my first car.  Then, you know...they stopped making it.  The 530i was then one of my top choices, but the E320 fell into my lap.  Who would say no?

I don't know what it is about the GTO.  I push it to the back of my mind, and then whenever anyone mentions it I start falling all over myself.  I fucking need one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 06:21:44 AM
911 rocks.

I'd never buy a 335i coupe.? However, the damn sedan keeps whispering in my ear.
Everything is whispering in your ear.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Laconian on November 28, 2006, 11:15:57 AM

It was a botched quote. I hit the quote thing and tried to write my edits in bold, striking out what he said. :wtf: Meh...whatever.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ro51092

911 :praise: :rockon:

Man, the 335i is a good car. I wanted one so badly, but too much $$. BMW can truly make a great car, and just the fact that it held up some of its own against the 911 means a lot.

3er :praise: :rockon: