Acura bringing two Type-S's

Started by SVT_Power, December 02, 2006, 12:13:09 PM

SVT_Power

Two Acuras, a single purpose
Type-S performance dress gives the TL and CSX sedans ample ability to thrill
Dec. 2, 2006. 01:00 AM
LAURANCE YAP

WASHINGTON, D.C.?One of the defining moments in my driving life remains the first time I got behind the wheel of an Acura Integra Type-R.

From the outside, it looked like a mildly worked-over Integra, with special white paint, lightweight wheels and a big spoiler.

But it was so much more than that: at the time, there was virtually no other car on the road that brought you so close to the feeling of driving a race car.

The Type-R was raw, it was stiff and it was unbelievably precise and direct to drive.

On the right day and in the right mood, it was pure magic.

It was, also, a bit too racy for the daily grind. And given Acura's upmarket luxury-technology positioning, the Type-R was also at odds with the brand image Acura was trying to project.

Hence the introduction of the CL Coupe Type-S in 2001 and TL Type-S in the 2002 model year.

They still gave you a taste of a race car with high-revving V6 engines and sports suspensions, but also came with the luxury and high-tech goodies Acura had become known for.

Almost at the same time, Acura introduced an RSX Type-S, which featured an engine and chassis nearly as crazy as the Integra Type-R's in a refined, easy to drive package.

The RSX died a few months ago, and the Type-S sub-brand remained dormant.

But the wait is over: into showrooms this fall sail two new Type-S models, based on the compact CSX and mid-size TL four-doors.

Both conform to the Type-S ethos as we know it: they're fully equipped, luxurious sedans with a surprisingly racy edge when being driven hard.

And like all Acuras, they are also pretty amazing value for the performance and equipment that you get.

What's interesting, though, is that they also both have distinctive personalities.

Let's start with what the two have in common. Both the CSX and TL Type-S feature several cosmetic upgrades to hint at their increased performance potential.

Both boast larger, more aggressive wheel-and-tire packages (17 inches with a multi-spoke wheel design on the CSX; 17-inch five-spokers on the TL, with the option of 18-inchers).

Both have aerodynamic body kits featuring deeper front bumpers, sill extensions and rear wings. Both have big exhaust pipes (four in the case of the TL).

Inside, you'll find better seats with bigger bolsters, upgraded audio systems and an extra load of equipment on top of the already-generous Acura standards list.

High-tech trim materials set the mood for a sharper, more involving drive ? perforated leather with silver stitching, rubberized plastic, carbon-fibre and brushed aluminum.

The $33,400 CSX Type-S and $46,300 TL Type-S pack significantly upgraded engines, compared to the vehicles they're based on.

In the first, a high-performance, 197-hp, 2.0-litre four-cylinder (similar to the one used in the Honda Civic Si) replaces the 160-horse four from regular CSX models. It produces 139 lb.-ft. of torque and revs with an astonishingly aggressive sound.

In the second, the base TL's 258-hp, 3.2-litre V6 is lifted to 3.5 litres and 286 hp; torque rises to 255 lb.-ft.

Both hotties come standard with a six-speed manual transmission.

But unlike the CSX Type-S, you can also dress the TL Type-S with a five-speed automatic, with paddle shifters mounted behind the new three-spoke steering wheel.

The Alliston-built junior member of the duo is a real hot rod ? more extreme and aggressive than its relatively tame styling (save for that rear spoiler) might lead you to expect.

CSX customers were aching for the option of a higher-performance model to round out the lineup and replace the well-loved RSX Type-S, company studies showed.

They've got it with the Type-S. Tires are 17-inch Michelin Pilot HX MXM5 all-seasons, held to the road by a massaged suspension.

You get larger front and rear solid stabilizer bars as well as springs that are 17 per cent stiffer up front and 42 per cent stiffer in the rear.

Understeer during hard driving is markedly reduced.

Then there's the engine, an 8000-r.p.m. screamers that serve up different cams and rockers, different valve springs, a higher compression ratio and a reinforced head gasket. It revs like crazy, sounds amazing and hauls the Type-S around with authority.

Credit also has to go to the new six-speed transmission, whose aluminum-and-leather shift knob is but a hand's width away from the leather-wrapped steering wheel.

And mention must be made of the limited-slip differential, which Acura first used on the Type-R. It gives the car great drive out of corners and impressive traction in any situation.

This strong package grows on you as you come to appreciate the value it offers.

The TL Type-S delivers more speed and handling without any real sacrifice in refinement over the regular TL. Cabin treats: red-lit gauges, metal and carbon-fibre dash trim and leather seats with French stitching.

Inspired by the 2004 TL-R endurance racer, the TL Type-S features much-improved chassis tuning that reduces body roll in corners. The double-wishbone suspension hikes roadholding, but with little reduction in overall ride quality when you're cruising.

This all-rounder is fast, too. The larger engine is similar to the one used in Acura's big RL sedan; it's a torquey, flexible unit that's as comfortable lugging around town at low revs as it is screaming along at redline on a back road.

The new automatic transmission has improved electronics and larger gears and bearings compared to the regular TL. It shifts faster and more firmly, with a delicious throttle-blipping action on downshifts.

What you'll really want, though, is the new six-speed manual, which lets you explore the upper ranges of the VTEC engine's rev range more frequently and also comes with a helical limited-slip diff that improves traction out of corners.

The 2007 regular TL, which starts at $42,500, has been upgraded as well to keep up with rivals.

Part of me, of course, still longs for the return of the raw, race-ready Type-R cars to Acura's lineup.

But until then, these new Type-S models will do. They provide much of the same edgy performance in packages that are also rich in luxury and refinement.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JYODER240

QuoteOne of the defining moments in my driving life remains the first time I got behind the wheel of an Acura Integra Type-R.

From the outside, it looked like a mildly worked-over Integra, with special white paint, lightweight wheels and a big spoiler.

But it was so much more than that: at the time, there was virtually no other car on the road that brought you so close to the feeling of driving a race car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

a tarted up civic.
if the taillights are anything to go by, we get the same thing here as a civic.
@heelntoe

The Pirate

$33,000 for a Civic?  You've got to be shitting me!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2006, 08:34:51 PM
$33,000 for a Civic?  You've got to be shitting me!

It's Canadian money, which translates to about $10 USD, which is a bit out of the "fair" price range for this car.

The Pirate

Quote from: ro51092 on December 02, 2006, 08:40:59 PM
It's Canadian money, which translates to about $10 USD, which is a bit out of the "fair" price range for this car.

I don't know prices, but I'm sure you can do better for $33K Canadian.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

Type-S=

///M= :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Sorry, couldn't resist

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2006, 08:46:05 PM

I don't know prices, but I'm sure you can do better for $33K Canadian.

33K cdn was just about MSRP for a RSX Type-S. Just about a Mustang GT's tag :praise:

ro51092

Quote from: M_power on December 02, 2006, 09:14:08 PM
33K cdn was just about MSRP for a RSX Type-S. Just about a Mustang GT's tag :praise:

In that case, you would have to be out of your mind to buy an RSX.

The Pirate

Ehh, RSX Type-S vs. Mustang GT would be a tough pick for me.  I'm a big fan of small nimble cars, and I like Honda trannies and steering.

I'd probably pick the Mustang, but I could be happy with either.

sandertheshark

Quote from: ro51092 on December 02, 2006, 08:49:03 PM
Type-S=

A rather bland bowl of rice at that.  Acura gets waaaaay too much credit.

TheIntrepid

CSX sucks ;) ... it starts at like $25,900 for a base model with cloth seats and a stick. There's a REASON the RSX is dead... it's overpriced and not that special.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

Quote from: touareg208 on December 02, 2006, 10:17:52 PM
CSX sucks ;) ... it starts at like $25,900 for a base model with cloth seats and a stick. There's a REASON the RSX is dead... it's overpriced and not that special.

RSX was definitely more special than this CSX

TheIntrepid

Quote from: M_power on December 02, 2006, 10:40:45 PM
RSX was definitely more special than this CSX

Yes... but they both suck so does it really matter? ;)

On another note an Asian ricer kid at school saw me pull up in the Touareg [310hp or something] and offered to race me. He was driving a stock Acura 1.6EL. When I laughed in his face he yelled and called me a p*ssy. ;) Then he threatened to "knife me".  :huh:

ro51092

Quote from: touareg208 on December 02, 2006, 10:45:51 PM

On another note an Asian ricer kid at school saw me pull up in the Touareg [310hp or something] and offered to race me. He was driving a stock Acura 1.6EL. When I laughed in his face he yelled and called me a p*ssy. ;) Then he threatened to "knife me".  :huh:

You shoulda done it.

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on December 02, 2006, 10:45:51 PM

How fast is the Touareg exactly?  The vtec powered Hondas, while not fast, are still pretty peppy, especial at sub legal speeds.

ro51092

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2006, 10:49:09 PM

How fast is the Touareg exactly?  The vtec powered Hondas, while not fast, are still pretty peppy, especial at sub legal speeds.

V10 TDI ;)

that explains it all :lol:

TheIntrepid

How fast is the Touareg exactly? The vtec powered Hondas, while not fast, are still pretty peppy, especial at sub legal speeds.

It does have some pep to it. It certainly feels faster than the 268-hp Camry... would I be retarded in saying it's almost up to par with the 382-hp S550...given the S550 is about as heavy as a coach bus?

The Pirate

Quote from: ro51092 on December 02, 2006, 10:50:18 PM
V10 TDI ;)

that explains it all :lol:

Well, it's got torque, but Touaregs are pretty heavy (heavier than a Chevy Tahoe if memory serves), and diesels aren't super fast to rev.

Alright, throw me a bone here, I'm merely try to save face over the fact that SUVs regularly blow my car away.

:headbang:  :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on December 02, 2006, 10:51:27 PM
It does have some pep to it. It certainly feels faster than the 268-hp Camry... would I be retarded in saying it's almost up to par with the 382-hp S550...given the S550 is about as heavy as a coach bus?

Feels fast can be misleading though.  Our shop van (race hauler extraordinaire :lol:) was a Ford E-350 15 passenger Club Wagon with the Triton V10.  It felt really fast, but in actuality was slower than my car.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on December 02, 2006, 10:52:32 PM

Well, it's got torque, but Touaregs are pretty heavy (heavier than a Chevy Tahoe if memory serves), and diesels aren't super fast to rev.

Alright, throw me a bone here, I'm merely try to save face over the fact that SUVs regularly blow my car away.

:headbang: :lol:

Don't worry about it. Think back to that thread where we were discussing what cheap is... your car gets you around... and that's all you need.

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on December 02, 2006, 10:55:02 PM
Don't worry about it. Think back to that thread where we were discussing what cheap is... your car gets you around... and that's all you need.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like the car, but another 60 hp or so wouldn't hurt.

:lol:

SVT_Power

Well 0-60 is 7.5 seconds

YO

Quote from: M_power on December 03, 2006, 12:19:13 AM
Well 0-60 is 7.5 seconds
what publication besides " I love VW" got the Tour-egg to go that fast... it had to be downhill with a stiff hurricane like breeze. The Tour-egg and Cayenne are famous for their "near" Geo Tracker like speed... I'd take the Civic er...  Acura going in reverse....into the wind
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: YO on December 04, 2006, 08:13:23 AM
what publication besides " I love VW" got the Tour-egg to go that fast... it had to be downhill with a stiff hurricane like breeze. The Tour-egg and Cayenne are famous for their "near" Geo Tracker like speed... I'd take the Civic er...? Acura going in reverse....into the wind

Not sure if you noticed, but this particular version has the V10 tdi, not the V6.

sportyaccordy

sandertheshark

Quote from: YO on December 04, 2006, 08:13:23 AM
what publication besides " I love VW" got the Tour-egg to go that fast... it had to be downhill with a stiff hurricane like breeze. The Tour-egg and Cayenne are famous for their "near" Geo Tracker like speed... I'd take the Civic er... Acura going in reverse....into the wind

Porsche Cayenne (base): 0-60 in 8.5 sec
Cayenne S: 6.8 sec
Turbo: 5.2 sec
Turbo S: 4.8 sec

VW Touareg V6: 0-60 in 9.4 sec
Toureg V8: 7.6 sec
TDI V10: 7.4 sec.

1997 Geo Tracker LS: 0-60 in 13.8 seconds.

Care to try that again from the top, Yo?