Anti-VW Club

Started by Vinsanity, December 07, 2006, 04:36:58 PM

Vinsanity

Hopefully you know by now that I'm not one to troll for/against manufacturers, but the creation of all these new clubs is making me want to jump into a brandwagon :lol:

So why VW?
Suffice it to say, I never understood why some seem to have a strong preference for them; I don't see what makes them so special compared to Toyota, Nissan, or even Ford that justifies a considerable price tag premium over them. I've never bothered to badmouth VW until back when they advertised a $28,000 Passat as a "Low Ego" car, and later when they relvealed a concept Scirocco resembling a GTI with the "Fast and Furious" treatment that everyone went crazy for anyway. Recently I've liked to tell people that, "back in the day, VW's were cheap and reliable; now they're the exact opposite."

I suspect I will be flamed with the fires of hell now, but I honestly would like a VW fan to enlighten me as to what makes them superior to other similarly-sized family cars costing much less.

I don't suspect anyone is going to be joining my club, though :devil:

TheIntrepid

Not me anyway. It's just been revealed that I bought a Touareg today. :praise:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

pommes-t

From a german perspective, I can tell you that VWs are THE cars. If you drive a Golf, you can be a highly paid professor or businessman or an umployed. It's a no ego car. That's what I love about VWs. Nobody is going to wank on a VW, but everybody who drives one will be happy with it. If VWs were human beeings, it were those buddies that are always there for you, who come around with a sixpack. Not those shiny people some retarded people like to be seen with so people talk about them, but those unshiny ones that are real. VWs (except the W8) always give underestimated output datas. On the Autobahn there are always business agent's TDIs on the left lane doing high speed drives. There are family-fathers who drive Sharans, Tourans or Passat Variants with children on the backseats who scream "faster, faster" (in german of course...).
With the qualities they offer, the VW price is only beat by Skoda and Seat.

PS: Yes, I've had a few beers...

TheIntrepid

Quote from: pommes-t on December 07, 2006, 04:49:49 PM
From a german perspective, I can tell you that VWs are THE cars. If you drive a Golf, you can be a highly paid professor or businessman or an umployed. It's a no ego car. That's what I love about VWs. Nobody is going to wank on a VW, but everybody who drives one will be happy with it. If VWs were human beeings, it were those buddies that are always there for you, who come around with a sixpack. Not those shiny people some retarded people like to be seen with so people talk about them, but those unshiny ones that are real. VWs (except the W8) always give underestimated output datas. On the Autobahn there are always business agent's TDIs on the left lane doing high speed drives. There are family-fathers who drive Sharans, Tourans or Passat Variants with children on the backseats who scream "faster, faster" (in german of course...).

:cheers: I agree.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

so would it be an accurate statement to say that in N. America, the roles of Ford and VW are somewhat switched? (Ford being a more expensive brand over there, I'm guessing)

pommes-t

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 07, 2006, 04:54:46 PM
so would it be an accurate statement to say that in N. America, the roles of Ford and VW are somewhat switched? (Ford being a more expensive brand over there, I'm guessing)

People who have money drive Ford in the USA?
Ford are like ugly women who use too much make-up to me. VWs are like good housewives that are also sexy without using makeup.  But not like women everybody turns the head for. :rockon:
Just take a look upon the new Mustang (which is a beautfiful woman, without a doubt, but somehow a "cheap" one). Just take a look upon its hood. The way it closes... It looks sooo breakable. Just not a quality product...

Vinsanity

Quote from: pommes-t on December 07, 2006, 05:08:37 PM
People who have money drive Ford in the USA?
Ford are like ugly women who use too much make-up to me. VWs are like good housewives that are also sexy without using makeup.? But not like women everybody turns the head for. :rockon:
Just take a look upon the new Mustang (which is a beautfiful woman, without a doubt, but somehow a "cheap" one). Just take a look upon its hood. The way it closes... It looks sooo breakable. Just not a quality product...

well, Fords are somewhat popular with rich people (AFAIK), but not as their "trophy" car. I'm not sure how it is in Germany, but in N. America, most well-off households have 2 or 3+ vehicles. many of them include a full-size Ford Expedition SUV as the family hauler or a convertible Mustang as the weekend car.

as for the sexy housewife comparison, short of the new Audi TT roadster, I'm not sure I would go so far as to call anything VW makes "sexy" :confused:

giant_mtb

I think VWs are WAY overpriced.   Seriously.

sandertheshark

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 07, 2006, 06:17:20 PM
I think VWs are WAY overpriced.   Seriously.
Yes.  And they get way too much credit on this forum for some reason.

sandertheshark

And actually, unlike Toyotas, I don't think there are any past or present VW models I have any respect for.  And they are the preffered brand of hippies, and I hate hippies.  I need to be a part of this.

ifcar

I'd say Toyota is the VW of the US. Not even counting Lexus, there are owners in the high, middle, and low-income brackets.

TurboDan

If VWs are for hippies, Fords and Chevys are for all-American hicks who haven't yet gotten over WW2.  ;)

We've had a few VWs in my family, and they've all been reliable, ridden well, and came with more features standard than any of the other "mainstream" brands.  Plus, they've looked classier, not thrown together like an American car or donned with phony lines to make it look more sporty like the Japanese cars.  Plus, the manual trannies in VWs are a hell of alot better than any Toyota or Ford!

The "ego factor" is the reason my Dad bought an Audi instead of a BMW, by the way.   ;) :rockon:

S204STi

Speaking of clubs, has anyone here started a Wagon and Hatch club?  I'll join! :cheers:

Vinsanity

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 07, 2006, 06:35:09 PM
And actually, unlike Toyotas, I don't think there are any past or present VW models I have any respect for.? And they are the preffered brand of hippies, and I hate hippies.? I need to be a part of this.

want to be VP/Official Spokesperson of the club? :thumbsup:

TurboDan

Oh, and yeah...  VWs wipe the floor with just about every American and Japanese car (save Mazda and Subaru) in handling.  Ever drive one of those American wet noodles?  Yuck!

I thought I was gonna spin off the road countless times in the last couple weeks driving an '04 Dodge Stratus.  The thing can't handle a simple On/Off ramp at more than 50.  I used to take 'em in the Saab at 80 with ease, assuming there was no other traffic around.  When I tested the B5 Passat on the Garden State Pkwy., I gave it the "Saab treatment" and it handled it without blinking.  That was the moment that sealed the deal in my mind.

Or else I would've had to go BMW shopping and spend more than I wanted (at least at the moment).  Believe me, I was ready after driving some of these poor handling cars.  :devil:

sandertheshark

Raza

Quote from: pommes-t on December 07, 2006, 04:49:49 PM

Schnell, schnell!

I agree.  Heidi's been nothing but there for me, whenever I needed transportation or emotional comfort.  I didn't believe in Volkswagen until I owned one.  Now I never want to be without a VW.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on December 07, 2006, 09:17:30 PM
Schnell, schnell!

I agree.? Heidi's been nothing but there for me, whenever I needed transportation or emotional comfort.? I didn't believe in Volkswagen until I owned one.? Now I never want to be without a VW.

I take it you named your Passat Heidi? I haven't really name my car i just call her baby sometimes. Some of my friends think its weird when i walk up to my car, run my fingers across the hood and say, "I missed you baby, you miss me too?"  :lol:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sandertheshark

Do we need a logo, Vin?

saxonyron

Quote from: TurboDan on December 07, 2006, 06:59:42 PM
If VWs are for hippies, Fords and Chevys are for all-American hicks who haven't yet gotten over WW2. ;)

We've had a few VWs in my family, and they've all been reliable, ridden well, and came with more features standard than any of the other "mainstream" brands. Plus, they've looked classier, not thrown together like an American car or donned with phony lines to make it look more sporty like the Japanese cars. Plus, the manual trannies in VWs are a hell of alot better than any Toyota or Ford!

The "ego factor" is the reason my Dad bought an Audi instead of a BMW, by the way. ;) :rockon:

The lack of an ego factor was one of the reasons that sent me over to Audis way back when.  As a contractor, I park my car in front of my client's houses or buildings.  Unfortunately MB, Jag, and BMW say "I'm gonna overcharge you!"  Audi is far more neutral in most people's eyes.  That was part of the appeal for me initially.   2 or my sisters in law and my mother in law all drive VW's.  They are not fanboys at all -  any crap a car gives them would not be tolerated.  All 3 of them have had great luck.  One is an '01 Jetta TDI with well over 100k miles.  It still looks brand new and has never given her any trouble.   And "way overpriced"??  I don't think so. They're competitively priced for what you get, otherwise....uhhhhh, people wouldn't buy them, right?  VW can't hypnotise people yet.  :huh:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 07, 2006, 09:24:47 PM
I take it you named your Passat Heidi? I haven't really name my car i just call her baby sometimes. Some of my friends think its weird when i walk up to my car, run my fingers across the hood and say, "I missed you baby, you miss me too?"  :lol:

I did.  I called the E320 "Baby", named after Hannibal Smith's M60, which he also called "Baby".

I often kiss my two fingers and touch them to the VW symbol on the car as I walk by and hope no one notices.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

You've got to love those little moments you have with your car. Those times when you fall in love with your car all over again like its the first week you have it.  Thats when you know you bought the right car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 07, 2006, 09:27:16 PM
Do we need a logo, Vin?

I was cooking this one up just now, but looks like you beat me to it :praise:

sandertheshark

I know what you mean.  You should hear the way I talk to CJ.  It really makes me sound like a freak but I don't suppose it would shock any of you guys by now.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 07, 2006, 09:44:34 PM
You've got to love those little moments you have with your car. Those times when you fall in love with your car all over again like its the first week you have it.  Thats when you know you bought the right car.

The day I took the picture of my car that's in my sig, I remember thinking "God damn, this is the best car ever made".  That makes me so happy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 07, 2006, 09:49:14 PM
I was cooking this one up just now, but looks like you beat me to it :praise:

Yours is better, but I'm too lazy to change my sig three times in one day.

SaltyDog

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 07, 2006, 09:24:47 PM

You should see the reaction when you do that to a Buick...

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on December 07, 2006, 09:50:25 PM
The day I took the picture of my car that's in my sig, I remember thinking "God damn, this is the best car ever made".? That makes me so happy.

There's times when im either walking away or towards my car at night and i start to say to myself how beautiful that car looks when the lights on it just right. Then it hits me that its my car.  To this day I still can't help but to look back at it every time I walk away.

saxonyron

Quote from: SaltyDog on December 07, 2006, 09:51:04 PM
You should see the reaction when you do that to a Buick...

Judging from the age demographic of the average Buick owner, most onlookers would just assume senility!  :devil:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Vinsanity

Quote from: saxonyron on December 07, 2006, 09:30:30 PM
The lack of an ego factor was one of the reasons that sent me over to Audis way back when.? As a contractor, I park my car in front of my client's houses or buildings.? Unfortunately MB, Jag, and BMW say "I'm gonna overcharge you!"? Audi is far more neutral in most people's eyes.? That was part of the appeal for me initially.

well, it's great that you ended up with the right car for yourself, but I've always though of Lexus as the practical person's luxury car.

I'm not going to pick a fight on Audi now, though; I'm really liking the design of the A6