Went to check out a 9-7x

Started by cozmik, June 04, 2005, 04:04:55 PM

cozmik

So today I headed over to my Saab dealer so that I could check out a 9-7x. They had a single 9-7x in stock, and it was sold, but it was on the showroom floor, so I was able to hop in it and get some pictures as well. First off, it is a pretty good looking SUV in person. It is very low to the ground, at least compared to most. The front is not as rounded as it seems inperson, but it still looks good. The body panel gaps are freakin huge, like typical GM body panel gaps, very dissapointing. The interior is decent. The materials look pretty good, not the best, but still good. The lighting on the dash, including the radio and HVAC is green, similar to the green the 9-3 uses. It is not all the typical "GM teal" except for the compas in the mirror, which is the stock GM teal. The key is an odd monstrosity, it looks like they literally took a GM fob and stuck a metal key in it, looks like what a GM all in one key would look like. Otherwise things look good, the fake wood inside is tasteful, and the seats are nice, the change in padding is obvious. There is oddly a single brace in the engine bay, on the drivers side, going from the front to the side of the car, though it looks like there is supposed to be one on the passenger side too (or at least there looks to be a mounting point. I will have a test drive review possibly on Tuesday as that is when the dealer will be having a wine and cheese event for the 9-7x.

There are many more pictures here: Saab 9-7x album on Sony ImageStation

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

cozmik

QuoteWine and cheese?
Hey, booze and cheese, two of the best things ever invented, don't hate.  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

I agree that it looks pretty sporty in person, too bad it doesn't have the mechanicals to back up that image.  

ifcar

QuoteI agree that it looks pretty sporty in person, too bad it doesn't have the mechanicals to back up that image.
You think it looks sporty in person? Too tall, and not long enough to look sporty IMO, without curves to hide it or interesting styling anywhere but the front.  

BMWDave

One thing I noticed about the 9-7x in person when I sat in it was that it had superb seats.  I felt very comfortable in them.  Other than that, I was dissapointed overall.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteI agree that it looks pretty sporty in person, too bad it doesn't have the mechanicals to back up that image.
You think it looks sporty in person? Too tall, and not long enough to look sporty IMO, without curves to hide it or interesting styling anywhere but the front.
It looks just about as a sporty as a suv can.  

cozmik

The only "SUV" that I think actually looks sporty is the Infiniti FX. Otherwise this looks as sporty as the X5 for example.

ifcar

Um, no.  

TBR

Um, no.
Um, yes.  

TBR

The only "SUV" that I think actually looks sporty is the Infiniti FX. Otherwise this looks as sporty as the X5 for example.
Exactly

ifcar

Um, no.
Um, yes.
I don't know what you're seeing in there, but all I see is a handsome, clean, midsize SUV. Not a bad thing, but I don't see anything sporty in it.

TBR

Um, no.
Um, yes.
I don't know what you're seeing in there, but all I see is a handsome, clean, midsize SUV. Not a bad thing, but I don't see anything sporty in it.
I don't see anything sporty about the X5 either. Like I said, the 9-7x looks pretty sporty for a suv, more sporty than all but the FX really.  

BMWDave

Um, no.
Um, yes.
I don't see anything sporty about the X5 either. Like I said, the 9-7x looks pretty sporty for a suv, more sporty than all but the FX really.
The 9-7x, like ifcar said, is a good looking SUV, but far from sporty.  Your blindness shines forth when you say that an X5 isnt sporty looking, and yet a 9-7x is.  But of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Um, no.
Um, yes.
The 9-7x, like ifcar said, is a good looking SUV, but far from sporty.  Your blindness shines forth when you say that an X5 isnt sporty looking, and yet a 9-7x is.  But of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Statement 1: You're blind if you don't think that the X5 is sporty.
Statement 2: You're entitled to your own opinion.
Statement 3: (Implied) You're entitled to your own opinion as long as it's mine.

<_<

cozmik

I don't see how any SUV except the FX is sporty looking. Even the Cayanne isn't really that sporty looking. The X5 and 9-7x are just as sporty looking, which isn't necessarly saying that either one is sporty looking at all. But as Dave said, everyone has their own opinions. It is for that reason we have so many of the damn SUVs around.  <_<  

BMWDave

Um, no.
Um, yes.

Statement 1: You're blind if you don't think that the X5 is sporty.
Statement 2: You're entitled to your own opinion.
Statement 3: (Implied) You're entitled to your own opinion as long as it's mine.

<_<
Ifcar, youre wrong on a few assumptions.  I have absolutely nothing wrong with him not saying the X5 is sporty; however, when he says that a 9-7X looks sportier than the BMW, then I believe that there is an inherent blindness shining forth there.

I fully believe he's entitled to his own opinion, and yet I was just stating that I disagree with it.

And the third assumption you made was total conjecture, something that I never said and dont believe in.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I know you didn't mean Statement 3, but it was certainly a logical statement to be drawn from what you said. You have to admit that saying that someone's "blindness shines forth" when discussing their opinion on styling, and then pointing out that everyone is entitled to their own opinion is a bit ironic.

BMWDave

QuoteI know you didn't mean Statement 3, but it was certainly a logical statement to be drawn from what you said. You have to admit that saying that someone's "blindness shines forth" when discussing their opinion on styling, and then pointing out that everyone is entitled to their own opinion is a bit ironic.
All right..."I think that the Kia Sephia looks more elegant than a Rolls"...if I said that you'd also say that my "blindness shines forth."  

I'll ask you Ifcar, you think its feasible for someone to say the 9-7x is sportier looking than an X5?  I mean, thats streching the boundaries of logical thought, but I repeat, he is entitled to his opinion.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI know you didn't mean Statement 3, but it was certainly a logical statement to be drawn from what you said. You have to admit that saying that someone's "blindness shines forth" when discussing their opinion on styling, and then pointing out that everyone is entitled to their own opinion is a bit ironic.
All right..."I think that the Kia Sephia looks more elegant than a Rolls"...if I said that you'd also say that my "blindness shines forth."  

I'll ask you Ifcar, you think its feasible for someone to say the 9-7x is sportier looking than an X5?  I mean, thats streching the boundaries of logical thought, but I repeat, he is entitled to his opinion.
Kia Spectra vs. Rolls? Certainly. But two cars that are admittedly close together, which people obviously have different (but still reasonable) views about, absolutely not.

And of course someone could say that the 9-7X looks sportier than the X5. I wouldn't agree with it, but it's not a ridiculous idea.

BMWDave

Kia Spectra vs. Rolls? Certainly. But two cars that are admittedly close together, which people obviously have different (but still reasonable) views about, absolutely not.

And of course someone could say that the 9-7X looks sportier than the X5. I wouldn't agree with it, but it's not a ridiculous idea.
In my humble opinion, it is a ridiculous idea.  But I repeat again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Thank you. I don't understand how the X5 looks any sportier than the 9-7x, it is a lot higher off of the ground and in profile the front points up much more.  

ifcar

Thank you. I don't understand how the X5 looks any sportier than the 9-7x, it is a lot higher off of the ground and in profile the front points up much more.
The X5 has sort of an eagar, leaning-forward stance to it, and the fender bulges add something to look at on the side of the car, separating it better from the mainstream.  

TBR

The X5 has sort of an eagar, leaning-forward stance to it, and the fender bulges add something to look at on the side of the car, separating it better from the mainstream.
Yeah, I see that, but the 9-7x also has some pretty nice fender bulges.

Catman

It's about as sporty as my Sequoia. <_<  

ifcar

Unless I'm missing something, there are some plastic pieces tacked on the fenders, but that's it. The X5's sheetmetal is changed, and over a sizeable area.

TBR

Unless I'm missing something, there are some plastic pieces tacked on the fenders, but that's it. The X5's sheetmetal is changed, and over a sizeable area.
Maybe the closeness to the ground make them look fatter or something.  

BMWDave

They all look about the same height from the ground though.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

In the pictures they do, but in person the 9-7x looks much closer to the ground.  

BMWDave

In the pictures they do, but in person the 9-7x looks much closer to the ground.
I saw it at the Auto Show, and while it looked sporty, it is by no means sportier looking than a X5, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000