ZF 6-speed into Quattroporte

Started by omicron, December 09, 2006, 09:29:48 PM

omicron

Maserati will offer a true auto in its Quattroporte flagship in 2007

If you've put off buying your new Maserati Quattroporte because of the lack of a true automatic gearbox, you're in luck. The Italian marque has confirmed that it will launch a full automatic version of its flagship sports sedan next year.

The world debut of the Quattroporte Automatic will be at the 2007 Detroit Motor Show in early  January. It will make its Australasian debut at the Melbourne Motor Show in March -- going on sale locally soon thereafter.

Maserati says the new Quattroporte Automatic will: "complement the existing DuoSelect gearbox equipped models, which use Formula One technology to provide a gearbox that combines manual gearbox performance and the convenience of a self-shifting gearchange."

The auto will feature the excellent ZF-sources six-speed gearbox used by BMW, Jaguar and, closer to home, Ford Oz.

The new transmission should curtail the criticism the overtly sporty current set-up has received from some propsective buyers and media types.

The new transmission results in a slight improvement in weight distribution (49:51 front/rear vs the DuoSelect's 47:53) and Maserati says the 4.2-litre 90-degree V8 remains at its full 400hp fettle in the auto version.

Prices have not been announced? Although with the Quattroporte currently priced from $258,000 to around $290,000, we can't see a few grand here or there really being a major concern for buyers.

http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/2232604.aspx

This is excellent news. Obviously, I've never had the chance to experience a Quattroporte in any form, but the ZF is a fantastic transmission and here's hoping for more sales for Maserati as a result. :cheers:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

There's no normal manual available right?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Only if they could make the sequential shift more smooth
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JYODER240

Great decision. Maybe I can convince my dad on one.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sandertheshark

"The new transmission should curtail the criticism the overtly sporty current set-up has received from some propsective buyers and media types."

Maserati criticized for being overtly sporty? :confused: :nutty:

Raghavan

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 10, 2006, 12:39:25 PM
"The new transmission should curtail the criticism the overtly sporty current set-up has received from some propsective buyers and media types."

Maserati criticized for being overtly sporty? :confused: :nutty:
Yes, because the transmission isn't smooth, makes harsh shifts, etc, and most buyers won't even use the manual function anywho.

sportyaccordy

Why not just go w/DSG? All problems solved

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2006, 05:20:26 PM
Why not just go w/DSG? All problems solved

Perhaps they don't have a DSG system.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza on December 10, 2006, 05:31:54 PM
Perhaps they don't have a DSG system.
I hear they're developing one with Ferrari.

sandertheshark

The thing is Maserati has always made brutish sporting cars that only a very few enthusiasts ever buy.  Now recently they've been drifting into the main stage of luxury sedans, and a bunch of bed-wetting auto journalists whine about the manual transmission being a bitch to operate.  "Mercedes and Audi have nice, smooth automatics and DSGs.  Maserati needs one if they want to compete..."  Shut up.  Maserati sells only a couple thousand of these things every year.  They're not out to compete with the Germans.  They need a better transmission but they don't need to soften it or sacrifice its sporting character just to have more mass appeal.  Maserati shouldn't have to sell its soul just because Autoblog says so.

JYODER240

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 10, 2006, 05:42:55 PM
The thing is Maserati has always made brutish sporting cars that only a very few enthusiasts ever buy.? Now recently they've been drifting into the main stage of luxury sedans, and a bunch of bed-wetting auto journalists whine about the manual transmission being a bitch to operate.? "Mercedes and Audi have nice, smooth automatics and DSGs.? Maserati needs one if they want to compete..."? Shut up.? Maserati sells only a couple thousand of these things every year.? They're not out to compete with the Germans.? They need a better transmission but they don't need to soften it or sacrifice its sporting character just to have more mass appeal.? Maserati shouldn't have to sell its soul just because Autoblog says so.

The problem is the sports/GT cars they have been making aren't as good as the their competition(911). I'd rather see them move towards the luxury market and beat BMW at their own game.

MX793

The thing is Maserati has always made brutish sporting cars that only a very few enthusiasts ever buy. 

I presume you are excluding the TC here, as I don't think any enthusiasts bought that gussied up LeBaron.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on December 10, 2006, 11:23:47 PM
I presume you are excluding the TC here, as I don't think any enthusiasts bought that gussied up LeBaron.

Actually I'm currently a member of the international Maserati club, and the TC constituent is by far the majority, with over 1,000 owners and 22,000 admirers. It was the best of all worlds...early 90s American architecture, Italian electronics and reliabilty, and the perfect balance of luxury and performance.

If a TC is a gussied up LeBaron, then an F430 is a gussied up Fiat. :rolleyes:

heelntoe

this is great news, i just hope they dont discontinue the sequential box.
i'd pick this over an E-klasse.
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 11, 2006, 05:48:41 AM

I disagree. The TC was badged a Chrysler and was prominently a LeBaron ;)

Can you REALLY tell the difference without the badges?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

Believe it or not, the TC and LeBaron shared only two exterior body parts: the driver's side door handle and passenger side door handle.

JYODER240

Quote from: heelntoe on December 11, 2006, 07:02:36 AM
this is great news, i just hope they dont discontinue the sequential box.
i'd pick this over an E-klasse.

The Quattroporte isn't in the same class as a E-class, its about 2x as expensive.

heelntoe

E63 and the maser seem to fall into the same price range. and for that money, id rather have somthing that will get me noticed.
against an s-class, i'd choose this first as well.
@heelntoe

JYODER240

Quote from: heelntoe on December 11, 2006, 08:26:52 AM
E63 and the maser seem to fall into the same price range. and for that money, id rather have somthing that will get me noticed.
against an s-class, i'd choose this first as well.

Its still a good 20K cheaper but at least they have similar performance. E-class was a bit vague though.

heelntoe

yeah, i realize that. but i had no idea what this thing costs.
@heelntoe

MX793

If a Ferrari was a Ferrari body on Fiat mechanicals (chassis and powertrain), then yes, it would be gussied up Fiat.

The TC was built on the LeBaron chassis.  The 3.0L Mitsubishi-sourced V6 was straight out of the LeBaron, as was the 3 spd automatic that went with it.  The 8v 2.2L Turbo was straight from the LeBaron line as well.  The twin cam 2.2L (rare) was unique to the TC (found in other Chrysler products, though) and had Maserati heads (IIRC, actually from Cosworth), but was still a Chrysler motor.

Pretty much all of the exterior of the TC was unique.  Much of the TC's interior was unique, but you could see bits and pieces of LeBaron here and there (automatic gearshift, gauge cluster, steering wheel).  The TC was, for all intents and purposes, a custom-bodied LeBaron.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

Quote from: MX793 on December 11, 2006, 09:23:22 AM
The TC was built on the LeBaron chassis.

Actually a bespoke chassis (Q-body) using bits and pieces from the LeBaron (J-body) and Daytona (G-body).

QuoteThe 3.0L Mitsubishi-sourced V6 was straight out of the LeBaron, as was the 3 spd automatic that went with it.

Four-speed, not three. The 8v turbo engine came with a 3-speed.

QuoteThe twin cam 2.2L (rare) was unique to the TC (found in other Chrysler products, though)

How can it be unique and found in other Chrysler products?

This engine was unique to this car. The block was basically the same as the other turbocharged 2.2 Chrysler fours, but everything else was different.

Quoteand had Maserati heads (IIRC, actually from Cosworth),

That's right.

(the other DOHC heads used in the Spirit and Daytona R/Ts were designed by Lotus)

Quotebut was still a Chrysler motor.

Except for, well, almost everything beyond the block.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

The thing is Maserati has always made brutish sporting cars that only a very few enthusiasts ever buy.  Now recently they've been drifting into the main stage of luxury sedans, and a bunch of bed-wetting auto journalists whine about the manual transmission being a bitch to operate.  "Mercedes and Audi have nice, smooth automatics and DSGs.  Maserati needs one if they want to compete..."  Shut up.  Maserati sells only a couple thousand of these things every year.  They're not out to compete with the Germans.  They need a better transmission but they don't need to soften it or sacrifice its sporting character just to have more mass appeal.  Maserati shouldn't have to sell its soul just because Autoblog says so.

Which is fine, if they don't really want to stay in business.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Actually I'm currently a member of the international Maserati club, and the TC constituent is by far the majority, with over 1,000 owners and 22,000 admirers. It was the best of all worlds...early 90s American architecture, Italian electronics and reliabilty, and the perfect balance of luxury and performance.

Italian reliability?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

I was just kidding. I don't even think there are 8 TC's on the road. Consider yourself lucky if you see one, and buy a crate of lotto tickets if you see one running...

A 3 speed auto?  :banghead: I don't even think Hyundai was offering those by the time the TC was released.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 11, 2006, 10:08:48 AM
I was just kidding. I don't even think there are 8 TC's on the road. Consider yourself lucky if you see one, and buy a crate of lotto tickets if you see one running...

A 3 speed auto?? :banghead: I don't even think Hyundai was offering those by the time the TC was released.

I think 3-speed autos were still being used in some economy cars up until the 90's. I know dodge used on in the Neon. I think the base Corolla was using one as well.

sandertheshark

Quote from: MX793 on December 11, 2006, 09:23:22 AM
If a Ferrari was a Ferrari body on Fiat mechanicals (chassis and powertrain), then yes, it would be gussied up Fiat.

The TC was built on the LeBaron chassis. The 3.0L Mitsubishi-sourced V6 was straight out of the LeBaron, as was the 3 spd automatic that went with it. The 8v 2.2L Turbo was straight from the LeBaron line as well. The twin cam 2.2L (rare) was unique to the TC (found in other Chrysler products, though) and had Maserati heads (IIRC, actually from Cosworth), but was still a Chrysler motor.

Pretty much all of the exterior of the TC was unique. Much of the TC's interior was unique, but you could see bits and pieces of LeBaron here and there (automatic gearshift, gauge cluster, steering wheel). The TC was, for all intents and purposes, a custom-bodied LeBaron.
That's a page in automotive history that should be rimmed in black.