IS350 wins sports sedan comparo????

Started by sportyaccordy, December 26, 2006, 12:41:18 PM

MX793

Quote from: gasoline on December 26, 2006, 04:06:16 PM
Isn't that how the Camry wins comparos? Just asking...

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a Camry win a comparo.  The last two comparos in C&D that had a Camry put the car in 4th (and one of the comparos only had 4 cars).  MotorTrend's last comparo with a Camry put the car in 4th out of 4, behind even a Chevy Malibu.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

YO

Quote from: MX793 on December 27, 2006, 03:27:30 PM
I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a Camry win a comparo.? The last two comparos in C&D that had a Camry put the car in 4th (and one of the comparos only had 4 cars).? MotorTrend's last comparo with a Camry put the car in 4th out of 4, behind even a Chevy Malibu.

Has it EVER won a comparo??...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

YO

anyone going to mention that the G35 finished LAST... old ass Acura handed it to them both... :rockon:
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

MX793

Quote from: YO on December 28, 2006, 09:06:10 AM
anyone going to mention that the G35 finished LAST... old ass Acura handed it to them both... :rockon:

Handed it to them both?  The Lexus won.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: YO on December 28, 2006, 09:06:10 AM

been doing too much  :partyon: lately?   :confused:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

I would buy the G35 out of that bunch. 

YO

Quote from: r0tor on December 28, 2006, 01:43:48 PM
been doing too much? :partyon: lately?? ?:confused:

well we know for sure that the G35 finished last... no mention of who won though...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

MX793

Quote from: YO on December 28, 2006, 06:34:19 PM
well we know for sure that the G35 finished last... no mention of who won though...

In case you missed it, the title of the thread is IS350 wins sports sedan comparo
Needs more Jiggawatts

TheIntrepid

Quote from: YO on December 28, 2006, 06:34:19 PM

:confused: What are you smoking? Read the thread title!

[damn...beaten by MX793]

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

YO

where is it ever mentioned in the video that the IS350 won?? It probably did, but I didn't hear about it in that video.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

SJ_GTI

I can't say I'd choose an IS over a 3er or A4, but it is my favorite Japanese sport sedan as well. I drove an IS250 AWD and, while it wasn't overtly sporty, it was pretty fun to drive.

MX793

Quote from: YO on December 29, 2006, 07:48:22 AM
where is it ever mentioned in the video that the IS350 won?? It probably did, but I didn't hear about it in that video.

The cars were presented in reverse finishing order, just like how they do it in the magazine.

3) G35
2) TL-S
1) IS350
Needs more Jiggawatts

YO

Quote from: MX793 on December 29, 2006, 09:19:18 AM
The cars were presented in reverse finishing order, just like how they do it in the magazine.

3) G35
2) TL-S
1) IS350

.. i don't know...factor in that the IS does not offer a manual... has less toys then the TL...is the size of a Civic...

and the fact that last years TL already outhandled the IS in a head to head, now with improved handling and steering in the Type S.... plus a back seat for adults, I wouldn't be surprised to see  the TL pull this off...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

TheIntrepid

Quote from: YO on December 29, 2006, 11:22:10 AM
.. i don't know...factor in that the IS does not offer a manual... has less toys then the TL...is the size of a Civic...

and the fact that last years TL already outhandled the IS in a head to head, now with improved handling and steering in the Type S.... plus a back seat for adults, I wouldn't be surprised to see  the TL pull this off...

Troll :rolleyes:

I always thought that the TL was a bit larger and the TSX would compete better in this crowd; but I guess I'm wrong. I guess that if a larger, supposedly more capable car can get its ass handed to it by Lexus then the TSX wouldn't even stand a chance. Freaking Honda... they can't seem to do anything right these days.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Submariner

and the fact that last years TL already outhandled the IS in a head to head, now with improved handling and steering in the Type S.... plus a back seat for adults, I wouldn't be surprised to see the TL pull this off...

You're just angry the Honda didn't win...aren't you?  :devil: :ohyeah:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

I personally like that the IS is staying small in size and not becomming a whale like the G35  :huh:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

red_shift

IS isn't all that small. Smaller than it's curreent competition though. The previous generation was a little too small to be a comfy sedan actually.

However, I agree with SJ, it's the most desirable Japanese compact sports sedan. Haven't driven the new G though.

Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

MX793

Quote from: red_shift on December 29, 2006, 01:53:10 PM
IS isn't all that small. Smaller than it's curreent competition though. The previous generation was a little too small to be a comfy sedan actually.

However, I agree with SJ, it's the most desirable Japanese compact sports sedan. Haven't driven the new G though.

And despite being a bit smaller, the IS is actually a bit heavier than the automatic G35.
Needs more Jiggawatts

JYODER240

and the fact that last years TL already outhandled the IS in a head to head, now with improved handling and steering in the Type S.... plus a back seat for adults, I wouldn't be surprised to see? the TL pull this off...

The TL may have more grip but that doesn't make it a better handler. Not to mention FWD isn't exactly ideal for a sports sedan :ohyeah: :ohyeah:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on December 29, 2006, 01:54:28 PM
And despite being a bit smaller, the IS is actually a bit heavier than the automatic G35.

its still the size of the M35, 5er, A6, ect... its too big

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on December 29, 2006, 05:51:14 PM
its still the size of the M35, 5er, A6, ect... its too big

The G is actually sort of an in-betweener size-wise and it is on the larger side of the entry-lux segment.  It's on the lower end of the midsize segment while the IS and 3er are on the upper end of compact.  The size difference between the G and the IS is nearly the same as the size difference between the G and the A6, so I'm not sure how you can say the G is the same size as the middle Audi.  The M35 is a smidge smaller than the A6, but still nearly half a foot longer than the G (and hugely bigger inside).
Needs more Jiggawatts

YO

Quote from: Submariner on December 29, 2006, 11:26:18 AM
You're just angry the Honda didn't win...aren't you?? :devil: :ohyeah:

yeah right... Honda ALWAYS wins!!? :rockon: :tounge:
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

nickdrinkwater

I thought the TL was the class above?  As the TSX is just a rebadged Accord (which is 3 Series/A4 size) and the TL is bigger, right?

YO

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 29, 2006, 06:25:49 PM
I thought the TL was the class above?? As the TSX is just a rebadged Accord (which is 3 Series/A4 size) and the TL is bigger, right?
I agree... the ES350 would be the appropriate representative...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

Yo, speaking from experience:

THE TL IS SHIT. ANY MORON CAN PUT A LARGE ENGINE AN AN ACCORD AND GIVE IT A FANCY NAME. I DOUBT IT COULD OUTHANDLE A VW RABBIT. STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE THAT AN ACCORD IS BETTER THAN A G35 OR IS (wait, why am I sticking up for Lexus? :huh:).

The thing isn't even made well, and the torque steer was a BITCH man.

Disclaimer: Maybe the TL is more fun than the IS because of the defeatable stability control and 6MT, but the fact still remains, and knowing Honda, will always remain: It's an Accord with a cool radio and interior and a bigger engine (the engine ain't bad, actually), which makes it FWD, and high power+FWD= :banghead:

So, therefore.... :pee: TL

One more thing: The TL never outhandled an IS300. A TSX could not outhandle an IS300. No Honda save the S2K and the NSX could outhandle an IS300. The IS300 was an awesome handling little car. That was one Lexus, with the previous gen SC, and the 1st & 2nd gen LS that I like.

ifcar

If you hate it so much, why did you get one?

ro51092

Sounded good from the start. Why do you think I didn't buy it over or lease another one?  ;)

YO

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 11:10:57 AM
Yo, speaking from experience:

THE TL IS SHIT. ANY MORON CAN PUT A LARGE ENGINE AN AN ACCORD AND GIVE IT A FANCY NAME. I DOUBT IT COULD OUTHANDLE A VW RABBIT. STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE THAT AN ACCORD IS BETTER THAN A G35 OR IS (wait, why am I sticking up for Lexus? :huh:).

The thing isn't even made well, and the torque steer was a BITCH man.

Disclaimer: Maybe the TL is more fun than the IS because of the defeatable stability control and 6MT, but the fact still remains, and knowing Honda, will always remain: It's an Accord with a cool radio and interior and a bigger engine (the engine ain't bad, actually), which makes it FWD, and high power+FWD= :banghead:

So, therefore.... :pee: TL

yes.... the TL is hampered by poor quality and tremendous torque steer.... yeah right.? November 2005 Car and Driver, the pos, FWD TL out slalomed, out G'd the 330, IS350, G35, and the rest and out accellerate all but the IS... how is that possible. How does a FWD, 4 cylinder TSX beat out RWD Beemers and Benzs on the Touring Car Circuit???? THe haters will always hate. I guess it's like being a jew at Christmas.

And to top it off, you suggest that it's Americas most awarded car ever with a big engine. Which just won ANOTHER head to head...I'll take that too....
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 11:19:24 AM
yes.... the TL is hampered by poor quality and tremendous torque steer.... yeah right.  November 2005 Car and Driver, the pos, FWD TL out slalomed, out G'd the 330, IS350, G35, and the rest and out accellerate all but the IS... how is that possible. How does a FWD, 4 cylinder TSX beat out RWD Beemers and Benzs on the Touring Car Circuit???  THe haters will always hate. I guess it's like being a jew at Christmas.

And to top it off, you suggest that it's Americas most awarded car ever with a big engine. Which just won ANOTHER head to head...I'll take that too....

With a 6MT, you don't think torque steer is a problem?  :nutty:

Those auto awards are based on nothing but statistics. Why do you think the Lexus ES is also an award winner? BTW, I saw the R&T at the newsstand.
The order was:

1. Lexus IS
2. TL
3. G35

Please fill me in on any head to heads that the TL has won.

I would've taken them like this:

1. G35 (I wouldn't even consider the rest)
2. Maybe the TL (because of 6MT)
3. IS (Lack of 6MT)

I owned one for 3 years, buddy.  ;)