IS350 wins sports sedan comparo????

Started by sportyaccordy, December 26, 2006, 12:41:18 PM

ro51092

By the way, I don't think I'm the only unhappy Accord owner on the block.

YO

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 11:25:21 AM
With a 6MT, you don't think torque steer is a problem?? :nutty:

Those auto awards are based on nothing but statistics. Why do you think the Lexus ES is also an award winner? BTW, I saw the R&T at the newsstand.
The order was:

1. Lexus IS
2. TL
3. G35

Please fill me in on any head to heads that the TL has won.

I would've taken them like this:

1. G35 (I wouldn't even consider the rest)
2. Maybe the TL (because of 6MT)
3. IS (Lack of 6MT)

I owned one for 3 years, buddy.? ;)

let me know when you get your own magazine...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

YO

when has an ES ever won a head to head. And yes, the TL and TSX out handle the IS
by the way...
..what were the zero to sixty for the TL and G35?
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

TheIntrepid

Yo... get off Ro51092's case. He actually has a valid point... yours is just worthless trolling. He's used this car for 3 years and actually has enough experience to speak. He's also owned the A4, which is another competitor in this segment.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ro51092

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 11:56:22 AM
let me know when you get your own magazine...

Let me know when you stop peddling lawn mowers.

YO

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 30, 2006, 11:58:45 AM
Yo... get off Ro51092's case. He actually has a valid point... yours is just worthless trolling. He's used this car for 3 years and actually has enough experience to speak. He's also owned the A4, which is another competitor in this segment.

sorry... I work for Acura and have worked for Lexus... that every day experience I get has no meaning...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 12:00:44 PM
sorry... I work for Acura and have worked for Lexus... that every day experience I get has no meaning...

You don't OWN a TL, do you? Yeah, that's what I thought.

YO

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 12:02:51 PM
You don't OWN a TL, do you? Yeah, that's what I thought.

no... I just drive one whenever I want.  Just took a Type S on a thousand mile trip. I get a work demo. I put 5500 miles on every TL I drive.  I just retired my Type S for an MDX. 
This year I bought over 100 04-05 TLs at auction.  I see all the reports and service bullitons on all our vehicles and all the vehicles in the district.  One of my ex employees is the asst Service Manager at a Lexus dealer and I'n on top of that. No... I have no clue...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 12:13:24 PM
no... I just drive one whenever I want.  Just took a Type S on a thousand mile trip. I get a work demo. I put 5500 miles on every TL I drive.  I just retired my Type S for an MDX. 
This year I bought over 100 04-05 TLs at auction.  I see all the reports and service bullitons on all our vehicles and all the vehicles in the district.  One of my ex employees is the asst Service Manager at a Lexus dealer and I'n on top of that. No... I have no clue...

Great, but you still don't own one, and haven't seen it's day-to-day problems.

YO

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 12:14:56 PM
Great, but you still don't own one, and haven't seen it's day-to-day problems.
... you're right... running an Acura dealer for 3 years...having thousands of people, friends and family driving them, does me no good. Knowing every service bullitan and seeing EVERY customer complaint is irrelevent...I have no clue. 

You bought a lemon. BIG DEAL. It happens. But the TL is always a top seller... has been Consumer Reports #1 Upscale Sedan since the redesign and like all the magazines say, it would be the best if it were simlply RWD.  It is the most comfortalble most well put together inthat class.

Sour grapes doesn't doesn't substitute intelligence. Give it a break.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 12:44:31 PM
... you're right... running an Acura dealer for 3 years...having thousands of people, friends and family driving them, does me no good. Knowing every service bullitan and seeing EVERY customer complaint is irrelevent...I have no clue.?

You bought a lemon. BIG DEAL. It happens. But the TL is always a top seller... has been Consumer Reports #1 Upscale Sedan since the redesign and like all the magazines say, it would be the best if it were simlply RWD.? It is the most comfortalble most well put together inthat class.

You can't say "This car would be the best...if it was RWD." The car, if RWD, would be entirely different. You just cannot say it would be the best.

Plus, Yo, your track record on valuable vehicle reviews is among the worst of the forum, next to Kayani.

YO

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 30, 2006, 01:20:57 PM

You can't say "This car would be the best...if it was RWD." The car, if RWD, would be entirely different. You just cannot say it would be the best.

Plus, Yo, your track record on valuable vehicle reviews is among the worst of the forum, next to Kayani.

...yeah... people never like hearing the facts...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 01:54:29 PM
...yeah... people never like hearing the facts...

Any dipshit can read a fact sheet. Actually owning one really means something.

Actions speak louder than words. Remember that.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 30, 2006, 01:20:57 PM

LOL, the guy is an ACURA SALESMAN, lol.

The only things I can give the TL (on paper anyway) are a much more efficient use of space. Honestly IMO the TL is closer to something like an ES or Avalon than these actual sports sedans. With a good set of shocks/springs and tires ANY car can outhandle any of these cars...

But ultimately, with FWD, things get to a point where you have to make the choice between turning and steering. The polar moment of inertia will always be higher than a comparable RWD model. If you keep adding power, torque steer will become an issue. The TL is not a bad car, but comparing it to something like a G35 seems silly to me.

And as far as the G35's size, it's a "4-series". I actually wish there were more cars it size, as for me it's perfect.

YO

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 30, 2006, 01:57:47 PM
LOL, the guy is an ACURA SALESMAN, lol.

The only things I can give the TL (on paper anyway) are a much more efficient use of space. Honestly IMO the TL is closer to something like an ES or Avalon than these actual sports sedans. With a good set of shocks/springs and tires ANY car can outhandle any of these cars...

But ultimately, with FWD, things get to a point where you have to make the choice between turning and steering. The polar moment of inertia will always be higher than a comparable RWD model. If you keep adding power, torque steer will become an issue. The TL is not a bad car, but comparing it to something like a G35 seems silly to me.

And as far as the G35's size, it's a "4-series". I actually wish there were more cars it size, as for me it's perfect.
again. Facts are facts.? The TL is quicker to sixty than all but the IS350. It gets throught the slalom at a faster speed. It holds more grip.? How can you argue the numbers??
It has the best manual gearbox, the best electronic gadgets and toys... and it just beat a BRAND NEW REDESIGNED CAR...

I just put 5k on a TL Type S. The improvements are awesome.
Just over last years TL its:
Faster
handles better
SMOOTHER (even in the Type S)
quieter (even in the Tyoe S0
Improved on an already great stereo
New transmission gives you 99% control in the automatic
Can downshift to 1st at 30 mph or to 2nd at 63 mph.
Upgraded leather and the best seats in the business
Upgraded nav with bluetooth phonebook link

Cars always improve, and so did the TL...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

Car Zeus

ro51092

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 02:37:27 PM
again. Facts are facts.  The TL is quicker to sixty than all but the IS350. It gets throught the slalom at a faster speed. It holds more grip.  How can you argue the numbers??
It has the best manual gearbox, the best electronic gadgets and toys... and it just beat a BRAND NEW REDESIGNED CAR...

I just put 5k on a TL Type S. The improvements are awesome.
Just over last years TL its:
Faster
handles better
SMOOTHER (even in the Type S)
quieter (even in the Tyoe S0
Improved on an already great stereo
New transmission gives you 99% control in the automatic
Can downshift to 1st at 30 mph or to 2nd at 63 mph.
Upgraded leather and the best seats in the business
Upgraded nav with bluetooth phonebook link

Cars always improve, and so did the TL...

I hope it is. You could feel the Accord in the pre-facelift.

One question, Yo: Why didn't the TL get the all-in-one key that the Accord has? I like the all-in-one style, and mine just had a hanging-off keyfob

Colonel Cadillac

Volvo has the best seats in the business hands down, not Acura.

ro51092

I like BMW's sport seats.

Volvo's seats ain't bad, some of the best in the business. I love my Audi's too.

Champ

I happen to like the TL a bunch, and people who can't get over torque steer need to drive a FWD car differently than they would a RWD car.  coming from a FWD car that has 280+ lb-ft of torque available low in the RPM's I can tell you all you want to know about torque steer, and for me I don't even notice it.  My tires hardly slip anymore, the wheel hardly moves when I accelerate.  Just need to be gentle.

When we drove the TL, I thought it hid the fact it was FWD quite well I was actually rather impressed.  The interior is also a step up on the G35, along with the radio.  The bose system in the G35 is sad.

YO

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 02:49:52 PM

One question, Yo: Why didn't the TL get the all-in-one key that the Accord has? I like the all-in-one style, and mine just had a hanging-off keyfob
the vendor that made the 03 Accord keys at the time couldn't produce the all-in-one key that was compatible with the memory link system in the Acuras.
For 07, all Acuras have the all in one switch blade style key that are memory linked.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 03:04:46 PM
the vendor that made the 03 Accord keys at the time couldn't produce the all-in-one key that was compatible with the memory link system in the Acuras.
For 07, all Acuras have the all in one switch blade style key that are memory linked.

thanks.

YO

and don't get me wrong... I LOVE the IS250/350. It's beautiful, has nice power with a little too numb steering.  But unless you're an enthusiast, it's just too small for most people and families.

My employees never have a problem selling a TL over IS simply over toys, size and price. I think Infiniti missed the target again on the G. It's one of the few cars on the market where the coupe outsells or equals the sedan. The TL already outsells the G Sedan 2 to 1 and the IS has already outsold the G. The interior is a big improvement in the G, but is it enough to bring new buyers... I believe not...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

I don't like the IS much, because of the lack of a MT, and overintrusive stability control, and it's heavy and expensive. The TL sounded nice when I got it, but it wasn't too impressive. To me, the G is the best out of the 3. If it was my money, I would go with the BMW 3 instead of these cars. I made that decision about 1.5 months ago with the 3er v. the A4. A wait for a 6MT and the price on the BMW killed the deal, and the Audi was too cheap to pass up, $369 a month and $0 down.

Tave

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 02:49:52 PM

My parents have the same all-in-one fob for their Accord. Isn't it like $200 to replace?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

VetteZ06

Quote from: YO on December 30, 2006, 12:44:31 PM

Hilarious. I'm sure you'd say the same thing about a Cadillac CTS, right?

ro51092

Quote from: VetteZ06 on December 30, 2006, 03:48:09 PM
Hilarious. I'm sure you'd say the same thing about a Cadillac CTS, right?

LOL

YO

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 03:50:10 PM
LOL
Hey... the CTS is a nice car, hell the best Cadillac had built in years.  It's a little over priced, and the interior makes the old G35 look nice. It drives and handles well...Our neighbor is a Caddy store... we wholesale a lot of Caddy trades to them...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

nickdrinkwater

Maybe they should sell the super-duper TL in Europe so we could see what you guys are missing out on!

TBR

In order of quickness:
1. 335i
2. IS350
3. G35
4. TL-S

The last 3 are definitely right (based on this comparo), not positive if the 335i will be the fastest but even the 330i was faster than the TL-S is IIRC.

Frankly, the R&T test seemed a little ridiculous, I just read it and they really didn't have much of a reason to put the G35 in last. I can't believe they actually called it slow considering it made it to 60 in 5.4 seconds. The only thing they complained about was the clutch, other than that it seemed to be all praise. I don't know, wish I could drive the cars myself.

Yo, you can't tell what car is the best handling based on a spec sheet, it doesn't work that way, not for street cars anyway.