2008 Ford Focus

Started by gasoline, January 06, 2007, 10:23:52 PM

ifcar

rohan

Quote from: ifcar on January 07, 2007, 07:08:17 AM

Well at least they stuck with somehting they knew!  great find!
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Catman

Vents and grilles that have no function are best left out of a design.  I think they give an otherwise solid design an element of cheapness.

gasoline

Quote from: rohan on January 07, 2007, 07:02:59 AM
picture #1 does anyone else see they are just copying the Acura TL?
Picture #2 What the hell is Ford doing with these stupid vent things?  Why is this suddenly cool for Frod?  WTH? :wtf:
Picture#3 actually this is kinda a cool picture.
:confused:

At what point do you just begin to feel ridiculous?

Every single car that was ever conceived this NAIAS season--foreign or domestic--has been struck with such comments ("It looks like...").
When does it just feel ludicrous?

I wonder what this car "looks like"?

-----------------------------------

TheIntrepid

I see Versa and Sebring from this angle. The lights are shrunken Impala lights.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

rohan

Quote from: gasoline on January 07, 2007, 09:29:12 AM

Every single car that was ever conceived this NAIAS season--foreign or domestic--has been struck with such comments ("It looks like...").

So now we're not allowed to point out that something looks like somehting else?  Thanks for pointing that out mr. post policeman.  (where is the middle finger smilie when you need one?)

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

WookieOnRitalin

I don't get the exterior, but that doesn't mean its bad. It's different, but some gripes...

1: Tail lights are too small. Their placement looks awful and they appear to look like zits on the rear.
2: Sebring hood. What the hell? Ugly.

Interior looks sharp and its going to handle like a champ. It's just not enough to unseat the Civic or Corolla. It'll cut into Cobalt sales most likely and some Corolla sales. Hopefully, the hatchback versions come out sexier on the exterior.

The more you see the Euro Focus, the more you wish Ford would just import the design. That's a lovely car.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

rohan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 07, 2007, 09:32:21 AM

I see Versa and Sebring from this angle. The lights are shrunken Impala lights.
You're not allowed to say that- ask gasoline aka mr. post police.

~Chief Seattle

TheIntrepid

Quote from: rohan on January 07, 2007, 09:53:08 AM
You're not allowed to say that- ask gasoline aka mr. post police.

:confused: What the hell are you talking about?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

rohan

I guess when my sig says "just testing this sig thing. Never had a picture-sig in my life. Congratulate me if...."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

This is what the hell I'm talking about.  Apparently he doesn't like it when cars are compared.

~Chief Seattle

sportyaccordy

Is this just a re-skin? Why not just bring the Euro Focus? It's such a good car, and 132,443 times better looking than this. They could do a simple customer survey...put a card with this Focus and the Euro one out, and see which one people go for first.

giant_mtb

What's with the miniscule tail lights?

rohan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 07, 2007, 09:59:29 AM
...and 132,443 times better looking...
Do you have a link to those numbers mr.?? :tounge: :lol: :loopy:
J/K!

~Chief Seattle

nickdrinkwater

Looks like SHIT.  Thank god our Focus doesn't look like this.

What's with that stupid vent/line thing on the side - what were they thinking?  The line looks ridiculous and the vent type thing looks cheap as hell.  The 'FOCUS' writing on the back is just tacky to be honest.

This car could be anything, it has no identity as a Ford at all IMO.  They obviously couldn't decide whether to use Chevrolet Impala or Mitsubishi rear lights, so went for a mix of the two.  What happened to the 3-bar grille they introduced on the Fusion?

What the hell is going on with that interior?  Maybe it would look better in a darker colour.  Or maybe not.

Ford deserves to go out of business if it carries on bringing out stuff like this, IMO.

SaltyDog

Oh, and the door handles look like the Malibu's.  That's what I forgot to include.  It looks like a "Best of" (or "Worst of") taken from an assortment of other ugly cars.

The Euro one posted on the first page looks real nice OTOH.

I'd like to see the Focus become a world car, though it might be too big and expensive.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

MX793

Quote from: gasoline on January 07, 2007, 01:04:06 AM
Click on thumbnails for press release with pics:

Anybody catch the following bit in the press release:

Quote"We raised the beltline to give Focus more modern proportions," says Lon Zaback, Focus chief designer.  "By raising the belt line, we created a sleeker profile.  The overall look is solid and more substantial."

Well, Mr Zaback, just because everybody else is raising the belt lines of their cars doesn't mean it's a good design direction to follow.  And higher beltlines don't create a sleeker look, they create a car that has wheels that appear to be disproportionately small.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

gasoline

Quote from: rohan on January 07, 2007, 09:57:12 AM
This is what the hell I'm talking about.  Apparently he doesn't like it when cars are compared.
Wow. You've been ruffled. :rolleyes:

Go take a nap. :rastaman:

rohan

Quote from: gasoline on January 07, 2007, 11:47:00 AM
Wow. You've been ruffled. :rolleyes:

Go take a nap. :rastaman:
I do get that way once in a while- sorry nothing personal.  I'm working the end of a 5 day week with travel to Chicago and a turn around from last night I got out at 12am and had to be back at 7am.  Sometimes I just get that way- ignore me when I do. :partyon:<---I need to do some of that today!

~Chief Seattle

USA_Idol

The Good:
1.  The styling is very much freshened.  That new "face" is certainly distinctive.
2.  The interior may be better-constructed, possibly from better materials.
3.  The coupe is a welcome addition...even if it does mean less versatility than the hatchback.

The Bad:
1.  The rear end is too plain-looking, with taillamps that are too small for the car.
2.  The side "vents" are silly.
3.  The wheels, on every version I've seen so far, are ugly.
4.  The interior is too plain, and that gigantic piece of "aluminum" (actually silver plastic) is tacky.
5.  Why are there no hatchbacks?

My comments are a preliminary judgment at best.  Ultimately, final approval (or disapproval) requires that I see the car "in the metal." 

mazda6er

Quote from: USA_Idol on January 07, 2007, 12:11:04 PM
The Good:
1.  The styling is very much freshened.  That new "face" is certainly distinctive.
2.  The interior may be better-constructed, possibly from better materials.
3.  The coupe is a welcome addition...even if it does mean less versatility than the hatchback.

The Bad:
1.  The rear end is too plain-looking, with taillamps that are too small for the car.
2.  The side "vents" are silly.
3.  The wheels, on every version I've seen so far, are ugly.
4.  The interior is too plain, and that gigantic piece of "aluminum" (actually silver plastic) is tacky.
5.  Why are there no hatchbacks?

My comments are a preliminary judgment at best.  Ultimately, final approval (or disapproval) requires that I see the car "in the metal." 
I agree with most of that. Especially that the taillights are too small.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

gasoline

Quote from: rohan on January 07, 2007, 11:51:26 AM
I do get that way once in a while- sorry nothing personal.  I'm working the end of a 5 day week with travel to Chicago and a turn around from last night I got out at 12am and had to be back at 7am.  Sometimes I just get that way- ignore me when I do. :partyon:<---I need to do some of that today!
Well if you're going to be in Chicago, what you need is this:

http://www.naias.com

:ohyeah:

Raghavan

It's ugly. All of it.
GIVE US THE EURO VERSION!!!

AutobahnSHO

Although they are pretty sill, and I'm usually staunchly against extra non-functional crap, I think the vents give it a little bit of a different look.  I agree that the original (or Euro) were better, but maybe all the silly G6, cobalt, and Sentra buyers will look at this car.

Will

SVT666

I wish people would shut up about bringing over the Euro version.  It's already been explained more times then I can count.  It would cost too much to bring the Euro-Focus over here at this time, however the next generation Euro-Focus is being designed to be sold in both markets.  That car is set to appear in about 3 or 4 years.  In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with the current Focue.  Everything about it is still competitive.

TBR

I started to say something, then realized how useless it would be.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2007, 10:03:52 AM
What's with the miniscule tail lights?

Agreed. There are a lot of details that seem to have been thrown in for no other reason than to establish some kind of cohesive design criteria across Ford's brand. Not to mention, bigger tail lights would go a long way towards reducing the height, broadness and slabness of the trunk. I hope Ford hasn't tooled all the pieces to create all the panels for this, as IMO they really need to head back to the drawing board.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 07, 2007, 05:10:38 PM
I wish people would shut up about bringing over the Euro version.  It's already been explained more times then I can count.  It would cost too much to bring the Euro-Focus over here at this time, however the next generation Euro-Focus is being designed to be sold in both markets.  That car is set to appear in about 3 or 4 years.  In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with the current Focue.  Everything about it is still competitive.

They would shut up if the American one didn't look like rubbish.

IrishGuy

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2007, 11:05:13 PM
My 2000 Pontiac Sunfire's airbags were controlled by the stereo.  I got an aftermarket deck put in and they had to mount to stock deck in the trunk so that the airbags would still work in a collision.  Manufacturers want you to buy their most expensive system so they do shit like that to turn the consumer off of the aftermarket and fork out the dollars for the factory premium sound system.

You are incorrect. That is a myth. The only thing controlled through the radio were the chimes for the door ajar w/key/headlights.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

S204STi

Looks like someone crimped off a huge diarrhea-riddled turd and slapped wheels on it...Who designed this thing, a bunch of kids at the Helen Keller school of design?