Who didn't see this coming?

Started by SVT666, January 22, 2007, 10:51:13 AM

SVT666

JYODER240

This is one of the few SUV's that I like. Oh well, i wasn't planning on ever buying on.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

I didn't see it coming. I thought the Commander was doing fine. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

thewizard16

Eh, they couldn't have expected that look to appeal to everyone, especially in a crowded SUV market where their vehicle has nothing special going for it except the Jeep name.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

the Teuton

At the offroad course at the autoshow last year, there was a Rubicon and then a Commander after it.  When my dad and I got to take a ride, we were put in the Commander, even though I would have loved a spot in the Wrangler.  Somehow, the test driver managed to get it stuck on the log poles sticking up from the ground for a good 10 minutes, while the Rubi went right over it like it was nothing.  The thing also has a horrible departure angle.  The interior was nice though, IMO, but it sucked at being a Jeep.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

gasoline

-----------------------------------

nickdrinkwater

It only just came out didn't it?

I guess it's kinda pointless having this when there's the Grand Cherokee as well.  I have seen a few Commanders but a lot more GCs.

At least it's more of a Jeep than the new Compass.

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 22, 2007, 12:22:59 PM
I guess it's kinda pointless having this when there's the Grand Cherokee as well.

The whole point of the Commander was to be a seven-seat Grand Cherokee. There has never been a seven-seat Jeep, and it was a market Chrysler felt they were missing out on in North America. (even though they already have the Dodge Durango...)

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on January 22, 2007, 12:49:30 PM
The whole point of the Commander was to be a seven-seat Grand Cherokee. There has never been a seven-seat Jeep, and it was a market Chrysler felt they were missing out on in North America. (even though they already have the Dodge Durango...)

and now the Aspen

GoCougs

What I find amazing is that it sold 88,000 its first full year; heavy discounting or not. That's more than the Expedition, Suburban, Yukon, Sequoia, Armada, Pathfinder, and a number of other mid- and full-size SUVs.

FWIW, I thought it was Aztek in its styling.

the Teuton

I thought it was pointless.  I think Jeep is going in the wrong direction--or at least needs to pick a direction.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

I expect them to just enlarge the next Grand Cherokee to include a third row, or just make something the same size but more space-efficient.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on January 22, 2007, 06:40:16 PM
I thought it was pointless.? I think Jeep is going in the wrong direction--or at least needs to pick a direction.

Exactly: there's no need for Jeep to be a full-line SUV brand. DCX has Dodge to fill that role. Jeep needs to remain a brand that appeals primarily to those who want a capable off-road vehicle, not a line of rebadged offerings from other divisions.

If there's a hole in their line-up, its that there may be a market for a smaller Jeep that's closer to a CJ's dimensions than the JKs are for the truly nutty.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Damn.  I loved it.  Looked like a G class.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

We need something bigger than a YJ (or is it TJ?) but smaller than a Grand Cherokee. It should be good offroad, with solid axles and lots of clearance, as well as good approach/departure angles. We need... The Cherokee!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Jeep needs to pick a direction and stick to it.? What happened?? Just 5 years ago, everyone knew what the Chrysler Group was all about and what direction it was going, but lately it seems that the company is losing its focus.

93JC

Quote from: Psilos on January 23, 2007, 12:17:52 AM
We need something bigger than a YJ (or is it TJ?) but smaller than a Grand Cherokee. It should be good offroad, with solid axles and lots of clearance, as well as good approach/departure angles. We need... The Cherokee!

:praise:

Galaxy

One knows a vehicle will fail when it looks like a Beijing Jeep. The 2500, which is based on the Cherokee.

TheIntrepid

Mark would have a boner to that one ^

93JC

It's nice that they're still making them, but I don't think deep down that I'd really want one.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on January 24, 2007, 07:47:17 AM
It's nice that they're still making them, but I don't think deep down that I'd really want one.

And the truth finally comes out. :lol:

93JC

A BJC 2500 is a licenced copy: it's a Cherokee, yes, but a Cherokee built by the Chinese using a mish-mash of AMC, Chrysler and unique parts.

Besides, the interior is mostly made from 1997-2001 Cherokee parts, and I hate that interior with a passion.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 23, 2007, 07:12:34 AM
Jeep needs to pick a direction and stick to it.  What happened?  Just 5 years ago, everyone knew what the Chrysler Group was all about and what direction it was going, but lately it seems that the company is losing its focus.

Yes!  Expanding the Jeep line is ridiculous.  They're moving towards GM like cross competition.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on January 22, 2007, 12:07:09 PM
At the offroad course at the autoshow last year, there was a Rubicon and then a Commander after it.  When my dad and I got to take a ride, we were put in the Commander, even though I would have loved a spot in the Wrangler.  Somehow, the test driver managed to get it stuck on the log poles sticking up from the ground for a good 10 minutes, while the Rubi went right over it like it was nothing.  The thing also has a horrible departure angle.  The interior was nice though, IMO, but it sucked at being a Jeep.

I was at the DC auto show today, and they had the Camp Jeep display as well. The Commander and Grand Cherokee they had in there were really suffering, rocking back and forth with a wheel in the air on the articulation section that the Wranglers and even the Liberty stayed planted on.

Raza

Do you think any other vehicles in the JGC and Commander's segments would fare better?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Couldn't tell you. I'd like to hope so though.

ro51092

VW Touareg? 4Runner or Pathfinder?

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on January 24, 2007, 08:40:21 PM
Couldn't tell you. I'd like to hope so though.

For the record, it wasn't a challenge, it was an honest question.  I know very little about offroading, so I have no evaluations on that market fragment. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

The 4Runner is still pretty decent offroad.  I've driven a 4Runner of the past two generations off road, and they both do very well for having IFS.

My car is surprisingly adept off tarmac as well.  :mask:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

thewizard16

Quote from: The Pirate on January 24, 2007, 09:01:48 PM
The 4Runner is still pretty decent offroad. I've driven a 4Runner of the past two generations off road, and they both do very well for having IFS.

My car is surprisingly adept off tarmac as well. :mask:
The old 4Runners are better, but the new ones are still capable.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.