Spy Shot 2007 Avalanche

Started by BMWDave, June 09, 2005, 03:01:13 PM

BMWDave

Link with Picture

General Motors Will Pump Money Into Product

WILMINGTON, Del. ? General Motors Chairman Rick Wagoner told stockholders Tuesday that GM would increase product spending for the next two years as part of its bailout plan.

Wagoner, on the hot seat after the automaker's $1.3-billion first-quarter loss, reiterated that the automaker has advanced the introduction of some models and will more closely focus on brands, some of which will target niche markets instead of mass markets.

The chairman also acknowledged no bailout could occur without great vehicles. To that end, he said, GM will increase spending on new models by nearly a billion dollars in 2005 and 2006. Production will speed up on several high-volume, high-profit vehicles, including large pickups and midsize and large SUVs.

Further into the future, he said GM will concentrate on crossovers of all kinds, entry-luxury and premium models, and ? in a reverse of GM's position ? hybrids and other fuel-efficient technologies.

Aside from Chevrolet and Cadillac, GM's six other brands "will focus on targeted market niches." Pontiac and Buick will have "fewer but stronger" vehicles in the future, he said.

GM, he added, will aim for value with competitive prices combined with more features and technology ? such as OnStar and StabiliTrak ? as standard fare.

What this means to you: GM's current financial woes have finally forced it to put its money where it should have been in the first place ? the products.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

No surprises there, it looks like the old one except with more "body hardware" ;)

BMWDave

QuoteNo surprises there, it looks like the old one except with more "body hardware" ;)
Or disgusting body cladding :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

The size of the wheels is out of proportion compared to the body of the truck...and that really gets me goin.  :angry:  <_<  :P  

280Z Turbo

Aren't truck based SUVs becoming a bit passe? :rolleyes:  

TBR

QuoteAren't truck based SUVs becoming a bit passe? :rolleyes:
It isn't really a suv, besides, you really can't build a large suv (such as as Suburban or Armada) on a unibody.  

giant_mtb

It isn't really a suv, besides, you really can't build a large suv (such as as Suburban or Armada) on a unibody.
Refresh my memory...what's unibody?  

TBR

Where the chassis and body are one piece (a rather rough definition, but close enough).  

giant_mtb

Where the chassis and body are one piece (a rather rough definition, but close enough).
Alright that's what I thought...thanks for the reminder.  :P  ;)  

TBR

Alright that's what I thought...thanks for the reminder.  :P  ;)
No problem.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteNo surprises there, it looks like the old one except with more "body hardware" ;)
At least they have the option of getting the cladding painted now like the Escalade EXT, it looks a little better without the plasticathon.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

At least they have the option of getting the cladding painted now like the Escalade EXT, it looks a little better without the plasticathon.
The cladding isn't painted, it just isn't there.  

R33 GT-R

It'll be there on that fat turd.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

QuoteIt'll be there on that fat turd.
How interesting :wacko:  :blink:  

280Z Turbo

What I'm saying is that I think people are starting to realize that these body on frame beasts are not the best choice. I think crossovers are going to become more and more popular while the big trucks lose popularity.

TBR

What I'm saying is that I think people are starting to realize that these body on frame beasts are not the best choice. I think crossovers are going to become more and more popular while the big trucks lose popularity.
A lot of people need/think they need 3 comfortable rows of seating, right now there are only 3 alternatives for those buyers: 1. a minivan- too dorky 2. a fullsize van- also too dorky 3. a large suv- not as refined or cheap as options 1 or 2 but sure looks a lot more cool. For that reason a lot of people choose large suvs and will continue to do so. I personally don't think a unibody would be strong enough for a vehicle that large, so as far as large suvs go I think we are pretty much stuck with vehicles similar to the ones we have now (which is fine by me since they drive pretty decent these days and have a lot more capability).  

BMWDave

A lot of people need/think they need 3 comfortable rows of seating, right now there are only 3 alternatives for those buyers: 1. a minivan- too dorky 2. a fullsize van- also too dorky 3. a large suv- not as refined or cheap as options 1 or 2 but sure looks a lot more cool. For that reason a lot of people choose large suvs and will continue to do so. I personally don't think a unibody would be strong enough for a vehicle that large, so as far as large suvs go I think we are pretty much stuck with vehicles similar to the ones we have now (which is fine by me since they drive pretty decent these days and have a lot more capability).
Buyers also have the option of getting midsizers that have third rows of seats.  Midsizers can be based off unibodies, and they are not dorky at all.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Buyers also have the option of getting midsizers that have third rows of seats.  Midsizers can be based off unibodies, and they are not dorky at all.
Yes, but the 3rd rows aren't comfortable for adults.  

BMWDave

In an LR3 they are very comfortable.  Most comfortable third row seats I've ever been in of an SUV of its class.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

In an LR3 they are very comfortable.  Most comfortable third row seats I've ever been in of an SUV of its class.
But in most midsizers they aren't. Besides, the LR3 has a separate body and chassis anyway.  

BMWDave

But in most midsizers they aren't. Besides, the LR3 has a separate body and chassis anyway.
Its a monocoque, which is a unibody with a bolt on frame.  The point is though that the LR3 is a midsizer with very comfortable back seats.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Its a monocoque, which is a unibody with a bolt on frame.  The point is though that the LR3 is a midsizer with very comfortable back seats.
So there is one, but it probably doesn't handle any better than a Expedition, Durango, or Armada and doesn't have as much room.  And, it still has a separate frame so as far as I am concerned it is a body on frame vehicle.  

BMWDave

So there is one, but it probably doesn't handle any better than a Expedition, Durango, or Armada and doesn't have as much room.  And, it still has a separate frame so as far as I am concerned it is a body on frame vehicle.
The mags have stated that "its as posh as a Lexus but as buttoned down as a BMW".  It has better road manners than an Expedition, I am sure.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

The mags have stated that "its as posh as a Lexus but as buttoned down as a BMW".  It has better road manners than an Expedition, I am sure.
Link please, C/D wasn't impressed in the least with its handling. Too heavy (heavier than the Expedition I believe). Also, I rode in that '03 Expedition again yesterday, and despite it having no less than 50,000 miles on it (not sure on the exact number) I didn't here a single rattle, though there was shrudder when the driver turned real tight (it sounded like it was coming from the back but that doesn't make sense).  

BMWDave

Link please, C/D wasn't impressed in the least with its handling. Too heavy (heavier than the Expedition I believe). Also, I rode in that '03 Expedition again yesterday, and despite it having no less than 50,000 miles on it (not sure on the exact number) I didn't here a single rattle, though there was shrudder when the driver turned real tight (it sounded like it was coming from the back but that doesn't make sense).
Its from MT Sport Utility Vehicle of the Year.  I have the mag in front of me, I'll try to find the link right now.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

"Disco meandered down the freeway like two bowling balls connected by a rope, the LR3 feels as buttoned down as a BMW and yet as posh as a Lexus."

Heres the link its at the bottom of the page:

Link

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Its from MT Sport Utility Vehicle of the Year.  I have the mag in front of me, I'll try to find the link right now.
Don't waste your time, as far as I am concerned mt is pure crap.  

BMWDave

Did you see the link?  I'll try to get more mag quotes.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

C/D thought more of it than I was remembering, or at least who wrote the road test did, it was in the counterpoints that there was criticism for its weight and handling.

TBR

Some interesting specs:

LR3:
Wheelbase: 113.6 in
Length/width/height: 190.9/75.4/74.5 in
Curb weight: 5450-5800 lb

Expedition:
Overall Length, in.   205.8
Overall Width, in.   78.7
Overall Height, in.   77.6
Curb Weight, lbs.   5499

So the Expedition is the same weight and 15 inches longer. It has also gotten very good reviews for its handling.