The troubleshooting game.

Started by VTEC_Inside, February 02, 2007, 11:17:06 AM

VTEC_Inside

I had an idea that could provide some entertainment in here and educate at the same time.

I know that most of us aren't full blown mechanics, but we've certaintly got our share of mechanically inclined folks.

Not that it has to be a regular thing, but I think it would be fun if people posted up automotive problems and had the rest of us try and diagnose. ie you provide the symptoms and answer questions, while we try to solve the problem.

Of course knowing the answer would help the game out a bit, but I suppose if we could actually help to solve a problem that would be great too.

I don't know how well this will work, but I'll give it a shot by starting us off with an easy one (well I guess thats a relative term).

Vehicle: 1994 Buick Regal, 3.8L
Problem: Little to no heat from the climate control
Observations: Engine temperature appears to be alright, maybe a little low. Upper rad hose is hot, and cooling fans appear to be operating as they should.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

heelntoe

water pump?

edit: didnt read the problem.
@heelntoe

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: heelntoe on February 02, 2007, 11:21:23 AM
water pump?

Engine not overheating, coolant confirmed to be circulating.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: The Pirate on February 02, 2007, 11:28:10 AM
Heater core bad?

We have a winner.

Figured it wouldn't take too long. Heater core was clogged up. Its been replaced and now there is an inferno comming out of the vents.

MX793

Quote from: The Pirate on February 02, 2007, 11:28:10 AM
Heater core bad?

That would one be guess.  Could also be a problem with the thermostat or the little door/valve that controls the mixture of air in the HVAC system.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: MX793 on February 02, 2007, 11:52:06 AM
That would one be guess.  Could also be a problem with the thermostat or the little door/valve that controls the mixture of air in the HVAC system.

I did replace the thermostat since its easy and cheap on this engine. I also speculated that the mixture door could be the problem, but ruled it out as moving the temperature from cold to hot did yield a difference, but not much of one.

Ok, so whos got the next one?

AutobahnSHO

Umm, my 1992 van sounds funny?     :devil:
Engine noise at idle.

I replaced the serpentine belt (it and the tensioner broke last winter,) and this summer did the waterpump as preventative maintenance. 

I'll try to post the sound today..
Will

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 02, 2007, 12:12:18 PM
Umm, my 1992 van sounds funny?     :devil:
Engine noise at idle.

I replaced the serpentine belt (it and the tensioner broke last winter,) and this summer did the waterpump as preventative maintenance. 

I think its the nut behind the wheel.

93JC

Umm, my 1992 van sounds funny?? ? ?:devil:
Engine noise at idle.

I replaced the serpentine belt (it and the tensioner broke last winter,) and this summer did the waterpump as preventative maintenance.?

What engine does it have?

S204STi

Put a stethoscope on the alternator.

Could be worn bushes.

Great thread idea BTW VTEC_inside!

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 93JC on February 02, 2007, 12:29:05 PM

On that note we should lay some ground rules.

When starting a new "problem", please state the following:
- Vehicle - make, model, year, engine, and transmission(if it isn't a given)
- Problem/Symptoms - what caused you to start poking around.
- Observations - what you have discovered thus far, and any other preliminary information that may be relevant.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on February 02, 2007, 12:29:05 PM
Good point.

It's a 1992 3.3L Plymouth Voyager (chrysler/dodge), FWD  4spd auto tranny,
The sound has steadily grown worse over the last year or so, and come to think of it, I'm probably causing the alternator to work a little bit more since I put the sound system in.  Wonder what kind of power it draws?? (Too lazy and it's raining now to check it out.)  And now that I think about it, I need to replace the alternator bracket on top: it's broken but the small corner that the top bolt goes through has held it in place..

And it also sounds crappy on startup: I assume it needs some real engine work but i don't know if I'll get to it before I leave for Kuwait in May.

R-Inge, I'll definitely take a listen.
I really don't know how much we can all figure out from through this magical internet tube-thingey, I was sorta kidding, but I'll check it out.

(A few years back the SHO forum guys diagnosed a bad crank sensor for me from a lame problem description, but those are well-known problems...)
Will

AutobahnSHO

PS-
I don't know the history on the alternator, I bought the van at 82k miles in May 2004.  Now it's got 116k.
The battery was brand-new, stolen from the SHO when I scrapped it, and it's bigger/more amps than the original..
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 02, 2007, 11:50:46 AM
We have a winner.

Figured it wouldn't take too long. Heater core was clogged up. Its been replaced and now there is an inferno comming out of the vents.

I had that clogged problem once, except that it was of a frozen water variety clog. Yep, not enough antifreeze...

GoCougs

1982 Dodge Ramcharger. 318 V8. AT. 180,000 mile. Very cold day.

Similar problem: no heat from HVAC system. Engine temperature normal (per gage, and heat felt from engine when hood was up).

Note: not the clog issue I just mentioned.

S204STi

(Concerning Will's dilema)

The major rotating assemblies on the front of your engine are the alternator, water pump, a/c compressor, and the idler and/or tensioner pulleys.? You already have a new tensioner and water pump, are there any other idler pulleys on these?? That leaves the A/C compressor and the alternator.

If the alternator and the a/c comp run on seperate belts try removing one or the other, whichever is convienient, and run the engine for a few minutes to listen.? If one eliminates the noise, ding-ding!!

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on February 02, 2007, 05:23:08 PM
1982 Dodge Ramcharger. 318 V8. AT. 180,000 mile. Very cold day.

Similar problem: no heat from HVAC system. Engine temperature normal (per gage, and heat felt from engine when hood was up).

Note: not the clog issue I just mentioned.

Air-bound heater core from coolant leak?

Eye of the Tiger

Umm, my 1992 van sounds funny?? ? ?:devil:
Engine noise at idle.

I replaced the serpentine belt (it and the tensioner broke last winter,) and this summer did the waterpump as preventative maintenance.?

Can you describe the noise a bit more, and how it relateds to engine rpm.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NACar on February 02, 2007, 07:12:15 PM
Can you describe the noise a bit more, and how it relateds to engine rpm.
I'll get something on it tomorrow- but it's just noisy at idle, sounds mechanical (valvetrain?) and I haven't really paid attention with revving it.
It's only got 1 accessory belt, which is more trouble to get on/off than I want to deal with just to see if it's the accessories. 

I'll tinker with it in the next few months-
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 02, 2007, 06:49:38 PM
Air-bound heater core from coolant leak?

Not exactly, but you're close.

Hint: though the engine was hot per the gage and to the touch, the upper radiator hose was cool. Nothing was frozen or clogged, either.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on February 03, 2007, 10:02:03 AM

Hint: though the engine was hot per the gage and to the touch, the upper radiator hose was cool. Nothing was frozen or clogged, either.
Busted thermostat.  It wasn't opening?
Will

AutobahnSHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUeYqQdLOw
So here's the easiest way to record sound for you guys.

The startup didn't record as well as I'd hoped, and the batteries died as I was recording with the hood closed- but it's NOISY.

Notice too the broken alternator mount (where the bolt goes in isn't connected to the rest of the bracket) and there's a clicking coming from the top of the block (didn't capture well)- is that the injectors or valvetrain?

And so you know, the alternator is on top back (relative to the car) of the engine, a/c compressor top front, a few pulleys, the power steering is low, the waterpump is bottom front.

:huh:
Will

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on February 03, 2007, 10:02:03 AM

Did the vehicle ever overheat?

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 03, 2007, 10:45:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUeYqQdLOw
So here's the easiest way to record sound for you guys.

The startup didn't record as well as I'd hoped, and the batteries died as I was recording with the hood closed- but it's NOISY.

Notice too the broken alternator mount (where the bolt goes in isn't connected to the rest of the bracket) and there's a clicking coming from the top of the block (didn't capture well)- is that the injectors or valvetrain?

And so you know, the alternator is on top back (relative to the car) of the engine, a/c compressor top front, a few pulleys, the power steering is low, the waterpump is bottom front.

:huh:

While it's running pour some water on the belt slowly.? Does the pitch of the noise change or go away completely?? If so it's your belt.

That clicking I heard when you were over the block sounds normal.  The valvetrain creates a lot of noise normally.

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 03, 2007, 11:02:48 AM
Did the vehicle ever overheat?

In the true classical sense (as in a boil-over), no, it did not.

Hint: Once remedied (which was a quick, cheap and easy fix), their didn't appear to be any damage.

Another hint: the conditions of the day were critical.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on February 03, 2007, 11:33:40 AM
In the true classical sense (as in a boil-over), no, it did not.

Hint: Once remedied (which was a quick, cheap and easy fix), their didn't appear to be any damage.

Another hint: the conditions of the day were critical.

Are we talking 105F or below freezing?

And did the temp gauge soar is what I was meaning to ask.

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 03, 2007, 12:07:46 PM
Are we talking 105F or below freezing?

And did the temp gauge soar is what I was meaning to ask.

It was very cold, like 5F, blowing wind, and highway travel.

The temperature gage was normal.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on February 03, 2007, 02:40:26 PM
It was very cold, like 5F, blowing wind, and highway travel.

The temperature gage was normal.

Did you blow a hose?

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 03, 2007, 03:22:19 PM
Did you blow a hose?

Perhaps I cheated a bit. There wasn't actually anything broken per se. I actually I ran it almost competely empty of coolant.

I was on a long drive to from Seattle up to British Columbia. After about 80 miles, I started getting cold. I just figured that with the low temperature, howling wind, and the relative large size of the interior, the HVAC system just couldn't keep up. But upon feeling the air out of the vents, it was cold. I knew that that wasn't right.

So I pull off the freeway and stop at a Schuck's type place. I pop the hood to take a look, but don't see anything obvious. I did see some evidence of leaking coolant from around the thermostat housing, but I'd always had that since seems to be common place for erosion for aftermarket aluminum intake manifolds.

Anyway, I went in the store to ask advice, and they really didn't have any clue either. Being some kind of cooling system issue, we popped the radiator cap just as a general investigative measure, and didn't see any coolant. In fact, it was completely dry. Didn't think much of it, but knew that while I was there, I should get some water and antifreeze. So I buy 1 gallon bottles of each. I add a bit of each, but I didn't see the coolant level rise (still saw no coolant). So then I add more and more, until I added 2 gallons total. Still no sign of coolant level from looking down the radiator fill neck. I buy more. And more.

All told, I figured that with what I had to add to get it filled, I'd run it about 90% dry. The thermostat housing must of leaked far more than I had figured. After that, I started it up, and had plenty of heat in short order. IMO, I didn't suffer catastrophic damage due to the cold weather and howling wind. I didn't have those inner fender splash guards, so wind was entering the engine compartment with ease. I'm sure the engine (and especially the water pump) took somewhat of a beating, but I never had any problems with it after that.

As far as the temperature gage, I'm not sure why it didn't measure anything out of the ordinary; or IIRC, I didn't remember it doing so. It was a stock gage with non-dimensioned hash marks, so its accuracy I'm sure wasn't the best.