Aston Martin sold to...

Started by nickdrinkwater, February 02, 2007, 12:05:56 PM

Michael Estorol

HeyThatsNick

This is terrible, and worries me a lot from a mechanical perspective.  No doubt the designs of the cars will be fine (they are gorgeous), the interior will be spectacular (they already are), but how the hell is a manufacturer of small luxury items going to pull off competetive powerplants?

the Teuton

Sourcing engines from Ford, GM, MB, or BMW aren't out of the question.  Prepare to see the best interiors ever stuffed into a luxury car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

am I the only one who thinks this is good news? :lol: :lol: :lol:

the Teuton

Diddy, for instance, had the whole interior of his Azure reupolstered in LV materials, which set him back some "a few" thousand dollars.  Now, people can get their cars straight from the factory with it.  I think this is a perfect fit, almost like Smart and Swatch, but without the financial mess, hopefully.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on February 02, 2007, 12:38:19 PM
Sourcing engines from Ford, GM, MB, or BMW aren't out of the question.? Prepare to see the best interiors ever stuffed into a luxury car.
Considering Ford will still own a 15% stake in Aston martin, I would think the engines would be supplied by Ford.

Nethead

And it might free up the 6.0 V12 Ford created for Aston Martin for use in Mustangs--into whose engine compartment the V12 settles just fine--no fenderwell cutting or firewall bashing required!  Western MotorSports of Calgary dropped one into an S197 Mustang and had it at the 2006 SEMA show (check the beast out at www.wmsracing.com).  It'll be roadtested by Mustang 5.0 magazine when Calgary thaws in the Spring!  HEMI666 passes WMS on his way home from work and he's seen the beast live and in color!
They call this creation "Vanquish'd", although the Nethead here thinks "Astang Mustin" works just as well...
So many stairs...so little time...

Michael Estorol

Quote from: the Teuton on February 02, 2007, 12:50:34 PM
Diddy, for instance, had the whole interior of his Azure reupolstered in LV materials, which set him back some "a few" thousand dollars.? Now, people can get their cars straight from the factory with it.? I think this is a perfect fit, almost like Smart and Swatch, but without the financial mess, hopefully.

But - isn't Mr Diddy a famously tasteless prick with more money than sense, who thinks killing rare animals for their fur is a marvellous idea?
If this is really the market AM will be aiming at, I'd rather they just shut up shop. 

heelntoe

Quote from: Michael Estorol on February 02, 2007, 01:16:32 PM
But - isn't Mr Diddy a famously tasteless prick with more money than sense, who thinks killing rare animals for their fur is a marvellous idea?
If this is really the market AM will be aiming at, I'd rather they just shut up shop. 

unfortunately, with a name like LV, they will attract more of these kinds of people.
@heelntoe

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Hopefully they won't ruin the brand. The problem with them now is that in order to buy one of their cars, a DB9 for example, you have to say no to a 911 Turbo, F430, Ford GT, and a Gallardo.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 02, 2007, 05:38:44 PM
Hopefully they won't ruin the brand. The problem with them now is that in order to buy one of their cars, a DB9 for example, you have to say no to a 911 Turbo, F430, Ford GT, and a Gallardo.

I would definitely take a DB9 over a 911 and a Ford GT if it was still on sale (which it isn't).

The F430 and Gallardo, maybe not.

r0tor

i fear no good will come of this
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JYODER240

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 02, 2007, 05:59:43 PM
I would definitely take a DB9 over a 911 and a Ford GT if it was still on sale (which it isn't).

The F430 and Gallardo, maybe not.

The only thing the DB9 does better than any of them is look better.

Vinsanity

usually someone who is going to buy a DB9 has a Ferrari and a Porsche already ;)

JYODER240

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 02, 2007, 06:15:34 PM
usually someone who is going to buy a DB9 has a Ferrari and a Porsche already ;)

That may be true, and if it is it only proves my point.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 02, 2007, 06:12:31 PM
The only thing the DB9 does better than any of them is look better.

Looks are very important to Drinkwater.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

The only one of the 4 cars you mentioned that I would take over a DB9 is the Ford GT.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 02, 2007, 09:12:48 PM
The only one of the 4 cars you mentioned that I would take over a DB9 is the Ford GT.

It's just that the DB9 is nearly as good to drive as the others, or so i've heard.

Raza

I'd step into a Turbo or GT3 first, but then again, I am a Porsche guy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7527.msg354227#msg354227 date=1170476555

Obviously I'd want to test drive them all first but my list would probably go:

1. F430 Spider - stick
2. Ford GT
3. GT3
4. Gallardo
5. Turbo
6. DB9

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 02, 2007, 09:25:23 PM
Obviously I'd want to test drive them all first but my list would probably go:

1. F430 Spider - stick
2. Ford GT
3. GT3
4. Gallardo
5. Turbo
6. DB9

I'd have the 430 at the bottom of the list, but it's my understanding that the 430 and Gallardo are quite a bit more expensive than the Porsches and the Aston. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7527.msg354227#msg354227 date=1170476555

I'd go with a GT3, since I'm also a Porsche guy, because I drove a 944 once. :mrcool:

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7527.msg354233#msg354233 date=1170476806
I'd have the 430 at the bottom of the list, but it's my understanding that the 430 and Gallardo are quite a bit more expensive than the Porsches and the Aston.?

If it was equipped with the F1 tranny it would be at the bottom for me. The F430 and Gallardo list higher than the rest and the GT goes for well over its 150K sticker.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on February 02, 2007, 09:27:16 PM
I'd go with a GT3, since I'm also a Porsche guy, because I drove a 944 once. :mrcool:

:ohyeah:

I've never even driven a 944.  Two Boxster Ss, and two 911s. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

I am just intrigued by the dynamics of a rear-engined car. I've never driven one, but I want to.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 02, 2007, 09:29:14 PM
If it was equipped with the F1 tranny it would be at the bottom for me. The F430 and Gallardo list higher than the rest and the GT goes for well over its 150K sticker.

To make mine a list:

GT3
Gallardo
Turbo
Ford GT
DB9

The only reason the Gallardo is above the Turbo is the "exotic" factor.  Realistically, I'd probably rather buy the Turbo. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Cayenne S
2 986 Boxster
986 Boxster S
996 C2
996 Turbo